RegisterDonateLogin

Also removes carbon scoring.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Map Discussion: Rancor Pen Options
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:38:06 PM
Groups: Member

This is one of the more controversial maps on the Restricted List, at least in my opinion. It's quite different from most maps on the list, with few doors:

Made by: Wizards of the Coast
Year of Release: 2006
Current Status: Restricted List B

- what do you like about this map?
- what squads does it suit?
- which side do you normally choose?
- a memorable game on this map?
- and anything else you want to talk about

Previously profiled maps:

Restricted A
Cloud City
Peaceful City
Off World Cargo Docks

Restricted B
Cliffside Citadel
Simulation Deck

Restricted C
Commander's Office/Ravaged Base
Asteroid Base

Other
Throne Room/Chancellor's Starship
Darth O
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 2:21:43 AM

1. I like how it's got huge shooting lanes but decent cover as well.
2. I'd say mainly shooters with good movement.
3. I pick the left for its protected gambit.
4. Once I actually managed to beat Minitank HT with OR vs. Sith.
It was nice that it just so happened to be the 3rd/4th playoff of last year's vassal regional.
5. You've got to be careful whether you are a shooter or a melee beat.
You really don't want to let yourself get shot from your opponent's starting zone,
and you don't want your opponent's Mace to get towed up to your shooters sitting in gambit.
Action is bound to happen.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:51:24 PM

If you're taking this as your map, you should expect to play from the right side most of the time, because your opponent will likely take the left side with its easy protected gambit area. Mobile or stealth shooters can often find some interesting lines of sight on this map, so be careful. And if your opponent has a decent movement breaker, he won't have a terribly difficult time reaching you.

I think this map can be good, but since there's really only 1 way of approach, most games seem to come down to the same pattern: It's a stalemate until one person (over-)extends himself and starts the action, at which point things often get hairy for a round or two, after which the remaining pieces will be given the task of chasing down whatever pieces the opponent has left.
corranhorn
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:55:11 PM

1. I like its flavor and the shooting lines.
2. Generally I have had good luck with shooter-heavy squads and tow squads here.
3. right. Much better avenues of approach and you end up on the good side of what I call the "stalemate divide" right near the smaller beast pens.
4. I was trying out CS Yoda with Doombot and DT K'Kruhk for a fun squad, and surprised my opponent by breaking a stalemate and flying straight into his forces. Took him off guard and I won
5. I've gotten good use out of it in the RPG. Good for caves, etc.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:50:11 PM

This is a very good map IMO.

Long LOS lanes from the central gambit area deep into either sides territory but enough cover to allow advancement from either side.

Left has better gambit control and so the onus is always on the right to start the action. The covering fire you can get from the central turbo lift makes it hard for the left to press and thus they are ever on the defensive. High activation movement breakers make good use of the rightside because they can advance and hit the gambit holder end of round and coax init to retreat or finish.

not a lot of well placed cover makes Arica and blaster barrages a deadly foe on this map.

The interesting thing about the map is that you almost always have to be drawn far enough forward to be unable to sufficiently retreat out of LOS making a counter attack a certainty. Right has the better door strategy although some interesting use of the beast pens allows the left some tactical maneuvers.

There are cute ranged hiding spots all over the map. On the left behind the 4 square pillar and then another above the Rancor pen. The left has the sweetest gambit spots that are great aggressive perches. The right have the turbolifts and a beauty of a cubby hole 3 squares from the bottom door on the right hand side. It covers the top half of gambit with a mobile shooter and its really hard for the left to expose the shooter.

Generally, the distance between the 2 forward launch spots on either side (gambit for left, Turbolifts on right) make speed a huge plus on this map. Even though the left has gambit the right has a long LOS down to the bottom left corner with only the rancor pen door to use. The right have a far more protected bunker whereby if they can mount an offense enough to provoke the left forward then tactically its bad news for left unless they can adequately deal with locked doors.

I've had loads of great games on this map, one of the best IMO.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 11:45:14 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The Endor scenario pack has a pretty good scenario for this map... breaking out of the cells and escaping from both guards and the Savage monsters running around.

If you bring this map, and the opponent has a Lancer, what do you do? (Presumably, taking the opponent's map puts you in just as bad of a spot.) Really hard to hide on this map.
Darth O
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 11:52:25 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
The Endor scenario pack has a pretty good scenario for this map... breaking out of the cells and escaping from both guards and the Savage monsters running around.

If you bring this map, and the opponent has a Lancer, what do you do? (Presumably, taking the opponent's map puts you in just as bad of a spot.) Really hard to hide on this map.

I'd take the right and hide in the turbolift and slave cells.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:06:48 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Darth O wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

If it's your map and you choose it, you don't get to pick which side you get. The Lancer player probably has another map that is good for Lancers, so you're either stuck on his map or stuck on the left side of Rancor.
Darth O
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2013 12:26:57 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Darth O wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

If it's your map and you choose it, you don't get to pick which side you get. The Lancer player probably has another map that is good for Lancers, so you're either stuck on his map or stuck on the left side of Rancor.

Oh, now I see what you're saying. Then you're really in trouble, unless you have enough self destruct, djem so, riposte, etc.