RegisterDonateLogin

Sorry about the mess.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Regionals Meta Tier1 Options
Omnus
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 8:47:34 AM
Groups: Member

I just felt like talking about the emerging meta for all of our regionals. I am no longer factoring in JA into regionals because a wotc rep has specifically told our venue the release date is the 30th for JA.

So I am just thinking about all possible squads that could score in the top 5-10.

--Gowk w/ Rex and Dash--
55 General Obi-Wan Kenobi
33 Captain Rex
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
11 Human Bodyguard
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
5 Caamasi Noble
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
(150pts. 9 activations)

This is obviously one of the big contenders. Two of the best current shooters for damage output with GOWK. Really the strat for this squad hasn't changed that much from initial "jedi on board" type of squads that emerged once r2 ad came out. Just more damage, more defense on the beatstick and no accurate.

--Rieekan's Broken Rebels--
47 Shaak Ti, Jedi Master
28 Luke Skywalker, Hoth Pilot Unleashed
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
14 General Rieekan
9 General Dodonna
8 Juno Eclipse
8 R2-D2
(150pts. 10 activations)

This is just a well round squad, I threw together. You get tempo control, a beatstick, some auto damage, an accurate shooter, override and disruptive.

--Rieekan Reinforced Rebels--
44 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Unleashed
27 Han Solo on Tauntaun
14 General Rieekan
9 General Dodonna
9 R2-D2 with Extended Sensor
8 Juno Eclipse
5 Caamasi Noble
3 Mouse Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(150pts. 10 activations)

I like this for the GOWK match up more than the shaakti version of mine. I credit this one to fingersandteeth. I love Obi unleashed. If you ignore him to avoid the fs8, he can be all sorts of annoying with repulse, heal, push2 and +15 for 20 damage. Its got alot of activations and disruptive. I was thinking about hantaun because he has a fp to help get those key shots and has heal+speed 8. He also can be a target for fs8 if Luke dies. But Han smuggler may be the better option because he actually isn't a force user so the YV JH's aren't as strong against him. I also wouldnot be surpsied to see Han, RH in the place of han and Juno.

--Still Imperial, Still the Emperor--
40 Emperor Palpatine
27 Lobot
34 Nightsister Sith Witch x2
11 Admiral Ozzel
10 Jagged Fel

Lobot:
11 Human Bodyguard
(150pts. 11 activations)

I still like the priginal emperor. he still has great hp for his cost. Force Lightning 2 is a great r2 killer and force storm is great way to put down mouse droids and diplomats while still being mobile. He still can lend some force to sith witches or Dash as needed because he starts with 4. This would likely have alot of trouble with LV though.

--LV's New Blue--
71 Lord Vader
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
11 Admiral Ozzel
8 Mas Amedda
5 Imperial Dignitary
8 Gran Raider x2
3 Mouse Droid
12 Ugnaught Demolitionist x4
(150pts. 12 activations)

Simple out activate, swap and destroy. Recently playing this, I found myself leaping all over the place. Probably getting pushed out by Grand Master Luke Skywalker but this squad is still a serious contender for regionals.

--Give in to your Anger (g.i.t.y.a.)--
48 Vader's Apprentice, Unleashed
33 Emperor Palpatine on Throne
34 Nightsister Sith Witch x2
15 Lobot, Computer Liaison Officer
11 Admiral Ozzel
(150pts. 9 activations)

I expect to see lots of throne based squads, with sith witches, VAU, DVU and/or Dash + Fel in some combination. I found this particular version alot of fun to play but its really an auto loss running into Vong. I don't think we will see too many of these in the top 5 but if they dodge the vong they are great against the GOWK and heavy evade Rieekan squads.

--Yobuck Swap w/ JarJar--
51 Yoda on Kybuck
33 Captain Rex
23 Captain Panaka
18 Jar Jar Binks
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
5 Caamasi Noble
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(150pts. 8 activations)

This requires some precise play and really only performs well in the hands of great player. This can throw alot of players off their game because its plays differantly and is very hard to predict. All of your activations can be in danger first round, which doesn't happen in most games with other squads.

Anyway, constructive conversation : ) Be respectful to everyone else and lets not be MTG players talking about how our squad will beat the other guy every time : ) Even if you have your regionals squad in mind, it can do alot for you to try the other squads to help you see their weaknesses better.

Oh, someone throw up a good vong squad for the current meta. I have never played vong in a serious tournament so I am really no the person to be speaking for them : )

Capin_ahab
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 12:58:32 PM

I think I have a good vong squad for the current meta it is
--a reigonals squad idea--
21 Yuuzhan Vong Shaper
60 Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter x3
19 Yomin Carr
5 Caamasi Noble
6 Mouse Droid x2
(148pts. 12 activations)
I think this has a good chance of doing well in the reigonals.
billiv15
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 1:16:30 PM

--Vong JHs 150--
21 Yuuzhan Vong Shaper
80 Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter x4
19 Yomin Carr
10 Twi'lek Bodyguard
8 Wicket
3 Mouse Droid
(150pts. 12 activations)
Omnus
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 2:05:48 PM

billiv15 wrote:
--Vong JHs 150--
21 Yuuzhan Vong Shaper
19 Yomin Carr
10 Twi'lek Bodyguard
8 Wicket
3 Mouse Droid
(150pts. 12 activations)

Thanks, Bill. I probably would have tried to include that vong that grants cunning : ) Jedi Hunters seem to be a larger threat the less you see IG's Princess leia.

I am really looking forward to trying, even though I am judging and not playing in regionals. Playtesting for it with others should be alot of fun.

--Rieekan Reinforced Rebels--
44 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Unleashed
27 Han Solo on Tauntaun
14 General Rieekan
9 General Dodonna
9 R2-D2 with Extended Sensor
8 Juno Eclipse
5 Caamasi Noble
3 Mouse Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(150pts. 10 activations)
swmimperial130
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 3:50:35 PM

Use GGDACS, I destroyed with it.
Sithfan
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:27:53 AM

swmimperial130 wrote:

Umm, isn't your GGDACS squad a 200 point one?
Omnus
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:56:01 AM

swmimperial130 wrote:

What squad did you use? I heard about a GG, DAC, lancer 2 IG's san hill, BDO etc doing well in some 150 events.
Sithfan
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:16:46 AM

Omnus wrote:
swmimperial130 wrote:

What squad did you use? I heard about a GG, DAC, lancer 2 IG's san hill, BDO etc doing well in some 150 events.

He has a squad named GGDACS featured here...
swmimperial130's GGDACS
Boba Fett
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:27:30 AM

any chance of Boba BH being in top?
Omnus
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:31:40 AM

I think Boba, BH with Gowk still has the possibility but the low damage output can really hurt the squad in close games if you don;t get any D's
Cybit
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:44:59 AM

Steven + random Sith + Boba BH?

Seriously, anyone who can roll disintegration consistently in a match... :D

Is Yomin worth it when dealing with the potential of Thrawn in the meta?

Boba Fett
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:45:37 AM

what about this?

--My Regional Squad--
62 Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
14 General Rieekan
9 General Dodonna
(149pts. 8 activations)
Omnus
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:06:22 PM

Boba Fett wrote:
what about this?

--My Regional Squad--
62 Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
14 General Rieekan
9 General Dodonna
(149pts. 8 activations)

I would say play it and see how it goes for you. Personally I feel like the lack of overide and disruptive in a rebel squad hurts too much. I think one of the greatest strengths of Boba Bh, is being able to get towed by r2 AD and then he has a high chance of accurate/twin killing another r2 which can have a huge affect on a game.

Maybe swap Han solo smug for a twilek vigo and r2 w/ sensor. But at that point rieekan doesn't bring much to the squad. I would say to play around with the idea against some of the other squads I mentioned. Play your squad and then have your opponent play one of the others, then swap squads try it again. The more times you try it, the better idea you will have. Try to find the best player available to you to practice the squads.
LoboStele
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 2:30:25 AM

swmimperial130 wrote:

Um....if you're talking about your squad GGDACS, you'd be lucky to win even 1 game at a Regional event with that squad, let alone GenCon. Sorry, not trying to be mean, just stating the facts.

The GGDAC squads with a Lancer and an IG-86 or two can do OK I think, but I'm not convinced they are top tier anymore. The trouble is that you often end up losing the Lancer after only 1 strafe. And depending on what your opponent is running, oftentimes it's tough to kill more than 30 points worth of pieces to make it worth it.

And the IG-86's are easy enough to work around anymore, IMO. Especially since you can screw them over with a Mouse Droid/Ugnaught easy enough, and not allow them to get the shots on key pieces behind that. Even sticking GOWK in front as the shield can be devastating.

I played a game a while back where GOWK went up against GGDAC and 4 IG-86 droids (was near the end of the game, and all my other pieces were dead). GOWK lasted long enough to kill GGDAC, even with 4 IG's shooting Twins at him every round. So, I really don't think 1 or 2 IG-86's will be enough to kill GOWK fast enough to keep him from winning that match-up.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:23:39 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

billiv15 wrote:
--Vong JHs 150--
21 Yuuzhan Vong Shaper
19 Yomin Carr
10 Twi'lek Bodyguard
8 Wicket
3 Mouse Droid
(150pts. 12 activations)

A mirror match with this squad would be a slugfest.
AdmiralAckbar
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:29:47 AM

No New Republic Wedge squads?

I think we may see something like this.

Kyle Katarn JBM
Mara Jade Jedi
Gen Wedge
Gen Dodonna
Ug demos x3
Jagged Fel or Luke FS

Jonnyb815
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:00:36 AM

AdmiralAckbar wrote:

Kyle Katarn JBM
Mara Jade Jedi
Gen Wedge
Gen Dodonna
Ug demos x3
Jagged Fel or Luke FS

first think can it beat GOWK i really dont think so. Can it beat vong maybe if you win a lot of inits. can it beat rebel cannon squads thats 50/50. so i really dont see NR Mara kyle doing that well. i think Kyp mara dash might do better just because of all the attacks that the squad can do.
Omnus
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:12:20 PM

Jonnyb815 wrote:
AdmiralAckbar wrote:

Kyle Katarn JBM
Mara Jade Jedi
Gen Wedge
Gen Dodonna
Ug demos x3
Jagged Fel or Luke FS

first think can it beat GOWK i really dont think so. Can it beat vong maybe if you win a lot of inits. can it beat rebel cannon squads thats 50/50. so i really dont see NR Mara kyle doing that well. i think Kyp mara dash might do better just because of all the attacks that the squad can do.

I have to be honest. With this squad, we saw tons of it every week where I play. Even before the GOWK errata, we still only ever had this squad win one event and it was only like 8 people. I have seen alot of variations on it with han smug and jaina, but still it never quite seems good enough. I think there might be something playable in the new meta with NR but its going to need more "out of the box" thinking. It may not look like it but really this is a 150 point squad with 105 points of support for Mara. Which is sad because I think Kyle is the better piece.

Honestly, I think something like this might actually perform better. Atleast between, lightning and flamethrower you can auto damage Obi. You have accurate for r2 slaying, a BG, some tempo control, and kyle is a difficult target for LV to take down quickly. Still may have alot of trouble dealing with rex and dash.

Boba, BH
Kyle JBM
Human BG
Dodonna
Caamasi noble
3x Uggies

Or this as a tweak. Problem is that against gowk you got to keep kyle alive long enough to lightning Obi 6 times. Which is probably un-realistic even with the BG. This would likely do better against the Vong counters and LV but makes the GOWK match up a bit harder.

Kyle, JBM
Han, GH
Lobot
Luke FS
Dodonna

Lobot brings:
Human BG
3x Uggies

Not saying they are tier 1, but might fit into the current meta a bit better.
danielmcdougall
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:00:19 PM

Omnus I think both Rebel squads you mention sound intriguing. Shaak Ti is underrated in my opinion. Give her evade and back her up with Luke HPU and Han Smuggler and you have a real dangerous combo. The Reinforced Rebels would be a little more tricky for me to play. I like it better with Han RH for sure. I like it against GOWK and Throne squads becuase of luke's push, and if you can do a fair amount of damage with Obi before he goes down then it could be really effective.
Do you think the standard GOWK/JWM squads have much viability?
Omnus
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:27:16 PM

I think both Rebel squads allow for some personal twists.

If GOWK is going to run a JWM, it would probably be...

Gowk
Rex
JWM
Human BG
R2 AD
2x Caamasi Noble
Uggie
Mouse Droid

The JWM helps it a bit against LV but weakens it against Vong. Dash brings alot more firepower to the squad but the question seems to be...how often will the GOWK squad actually be able to take advanatge of that firepower? With a lot of Dodonna, San Hill and Ozzell being used against GOWK, I think Dash might not get Oppurtunist enough to make him better than the JWM.

I think 2 JWM's and GOWK in 150 probably isn't tier 1 at this point. Thats not something I am so sure of that some playtesting couldn't convince me otherwise : ) But it would seem like the double JWM might become an auto loss to Vong and doesn't really help it against the heavy force lightning and force push squads.