RegisterDonateLogin

Just like Aunt Beru used to make.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

V-Set 6 Vassal Extension ready! Options
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2013 8:56:45 PM
Groups: Member

Well, I've finally finished this project. Thanks to all of you who've been patiently awaiting this release. The new file will be up on SWMResources just as soon as Echo gets a chance to upload it.

As always, I've made some minor tweaks to the images to better reflect or distinguish the minis in question. I've also added sound effects whenever the files were available. I even went back and added some sounds for some V-Set characters that didn't have them before. Also as always, you'll need to REMOVE your old "Virtual Sets.mdx" file BEFORE you add this one. The old one is obsolete, and the new file is an update of that one with all the new V-6 data.

Again, here are the links to the videos I made to help you install this stuff and get it running:

1. How to install Vassal and the SWM mod on your computer
I can't emphasize this enough: You really need to follow my instructions EXACTLY if you want this to work. So when I say "Get rid of all the other extensions and vmod files on your computer"...I mean it, I really do. :)
--Use Windows' Search function to find your old files and then delete them. They are usually found at c:/ProgramFiles/Vassal on most Windows computers. Delete everything...you'll be reinstalling with the new stuff when you follow my directions.
--Use your Windows Control Panel to uninstall your former version of Vassal. You'll be reinstalling with the updated version (and yes, it will matter) of Vassal.

EDIT
In the video I go to SWMResources.com for the downloads, but that website is no longer active. Instead, use these download links:
SWMinis.vmod
Virtual Sets Extension (version 8.0, which is the most up-to-date)

***Please notice that the new Vassal Extension is version 8.0 (so when the videos refer to the 5.1 version of the extension, replace that with 8.0; the 5.1 extension is now obsolete)
Your display screen on Vassal should read like this when you've got the Mod and Extension properly set up:
- SWM Skirmish Game version 11.0
- Extension Virtual Sets v8.0 loaded

2. New SWM features on Vassal
--This one shows how to use the Vassal mod, once you've got it installed. And again, when I say that you must first have followed my first video (so that you now have version 11.0 and 6.0 installed), I really do mean it. :)
CorranHornsux123
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2013 9:00:42 PM

i just followed ur last video last week lol well looks like i gotta do it all over :P
Echo24
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:18:18 AM

The new extension has been uploaded on www.swmresources.com!
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 6:55:20 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Echo24 wrote:

Seems to still be linked to the old one. Same size, same file date.
Echo24
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 7:10:21 AM

swinefeld wrote:
Echo24 wrote:

For some reason it didn't overwrite the old one, so there were 2 copies of the file with the exact same name. Confused

Anyway, it should be fixed now.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 7:32:10 AM

CorranHornsux123 wrote:
i just followed ur last video last week lol well looks like i gotta do it all over :P

No, if you've already followed the video, then you don't need to re-do everything. You just need to replace the old extension (VirtualSets.mdx) with the new one.

I only referenced that video for the benefit of the numerous people whom I've talked to on Vassal who can't seem to get it figured out. If you've already got things properly set up, then it should take you less than 2 minutes to get V-Set 6 going on Vassal.
pegolego
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 7:39:40 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
CorranHornsux123 wrote:

No, if you've already followed the video, then you don't need to re-do everything. You just need to replace the old extension (VirtualSets.mdx) with the new one.

I only referenced that video for the benefit of the numerous people whom I've talked to on Vassal who can't seem to get it figured out. If you've already got things properly set up, then it should take you less than 2 minutes to get V-Set 6 going on Vassal.

Awesome! Because I was thinking exactly what CHS was LOL

Thanks a bunchy tint!
CorranHornsux123
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 8:38:45 AM

i extracted the V-set file from Swmresources and when i went to go add it to SWM on vasal this came up. and help will be appreciated.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 10:42:19 AM

CorranHornsux123 wrote:
i extracted the V-set file from Swmresources and when i went to go add it to SWM on vasal this came up. and help will be appreciated.

The problem is that Windows won't let you modify files in the C:\ directory without clicking the Yes box as an administrator...and that step stalls the file transfer process. So you'll have to do it manually. Here's how:

-Find the file (VirtualSets.mdx), and press CTRL-C (copy)
-Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\VASSAL. This is the folder that has Vassal installed. This is the place where you should have your SWMinis.vmod file.
-In that place, you need to have a folder named [exactly] "SWMinis_ext" (minus the " " marks obviously). If that folder doesn't already exist, choose the "New Folder" button near the top of the screen to create a new folder, and name it that.
-Now open that folder, and press CTRL-V (paste) to put the VirtualSets.mdx file into it.

Now start up SWM on Vassal as normal, and you should have everything just right.

Please let me know if this solves the problem (or if it doesn't).
CorranHornsux123
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 10:47:26 AM

That did it! Thanks :D
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 10:54:50 AM

Echo24 wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
Echo24 wrote:

For some reason it didn't overwrite the old one, so there were 2 copies of the file with the exact same name. Confused

Anyway, it should be fixed now.

Much better, thanks Dan! Smile

And thanks for all your hard work Trevor! BlooMilk
Deathwielded
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 6:14:19 PM

pegolego wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
CorranHornsux123 wrote:

Awesome! Because I was thinking exactly what CHS was LOL

Thanks a bunchy tint!

wow me also! I'm glad I scrolled down and read the comments first!
Thanks thereisnotry and Echo24!ThumbsUp
Deathwielded
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 8:20:21 PM

Hey I just noticed that the Epic Followers are added in the new Vassal extension. Very cool!
I have a question what is the Ultimate missions figures? (they look cool!) Where would I find stats for them?
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 2:54:08 PM

Deathwielded wrote:
Hey I just noticed that the Epic Followers are added in the new Vassal extension. Very cool!
I have a question what is the Ultimate missions figures? (they look cool!) Where would I find stats for them?
A long, long time ago, when Wizards of the Coast first released the game, they produced an Ultimate Missions book to coincide with each of the first three sets (RS, CS, RotS). Those books didn't sell very well, but they did have some cool stuff in them (primarily the maps, but the missions could be fun too). The images that you see in the Ultimate Missions tab on Vassal are the images that correspond to the various Ultimate Mission scenarios that were part of the book. You'd need a copy of the mission in question if you wanted to find the stats...and not all of them have stats; some are just for visual impact.

And yeah, the Epic Followers are really fun. They make for some cool gameplay options, but I personally think the Boba is a bit overpowered (Mobile-Quad-Cunning-Accurate...with Disintegration).
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 4:31:05 PM

Bump
Sthlrd2
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 7:50:14 PM

bump for myself (as a reminder to try and get this up and running soon) lol.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 11:16:42 AM

bump

The new vassal extension (with V-Set 8) will be coming soon.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 11:32:53 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
bump

The new vassal extension (with V-Set 8) will be coming soon.

*Hooray!*