RegisterDonateLogin

Bloominous beings are we...not this crude matter.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Map Requests: What maps would you like to see? Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:35:50 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

What maps would people like to see? Maybe our resident cartographers will take it into consideration for future releases, but I'm curious either way.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:55:46 AM

I would like to see...

* More starships. I'm a big fan of maps that depict an entire ship.
* Sail barge and skiff. This is just about the only battle scene left from the original trilogy that doesn't have a good representation in the maps. I don't know how you make it into a balanced map, though. Probably have players start on either end of the sail barge and have the skiff on the top or bottom edge of the map. It might have to be a scenario-only map.
* A vault. One of my favorite EU scenes is the battle at the Hutt vault in Fatal Alliance. If gambit were completely contained within a vault with just one exit, and that exit led to an antechamber, that would be a very different layout.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 4:18:16 PM

Something else that I would like to see... pure residential areas. There could be 2 or 3 of these without being redundant.

* Residential floor of a major hotel and/or apartment building. Large enough that the floor spans the entire map, though perhaps with balconies at the edges. Each room would be 15-20 squares on the map, and then add in the necessary hallways, closets, vending, perhaps a data center on that floor, etc. And still have 20 rooms or so. (For gameplay, probably have many of the rooms be adjoining rooms.) If they are apartments instead of hotel rooms, they'd be considerably larger with multiple rooms, so probably only 6 or so apartments.

* An entire house, including all of the closets, refreshers, laundry, bedrooms, etc. Or two houses. A 34x22 map is large enough for an impressive estate or for 2 or 3 more modest houses.
SignerJ
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 5:17:05 PM
Groups: Member

* The inside of a capital ship, like a Star Destroyer, Mon Calamari Cruiser, Hammerhead Cruiser, Yuuzhan Vong Worldship, the Ravager, etc. (This idea has already been done in one or two custom maps, but nothing official or easy to obtain.)
* Some kind of space station or such. Maybe even the inside of the Death Star (similar to in Battlefront II, maybe?)
* A Wookiee city on Kashyyyk
* Felucia
* a destroyed Jedi Temple
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 5:52:11 PM

Here's the full list of maps for those who don't have it bookmarked:
http://www.swmresources.com/downloads/MapList%20January%202013.pdf
(It doesn't include the latest Map Pack 5 from Armored Cartographers, which was just released this month.)

Capital ships/space stations are represented in several maps.
* Death Star
* Power Regulation Chamber
* Throne Room
* Star Forge (perhaps wasn't designed for it, but could easily represent part of a space station)

And most recently the Maps of Mastery Battle Stations releases:
* Command Deck
* Security Deck
* Hangar Deck
* Simulation Deck (although this one really could be anywhere)

Felucia has been done and is in JC Map Pack 1. Kashyyyk has been done and is in JC Map Pack 2. Those two are probably the hardest map packs to find, but I believe he made the PDFs available if you ask for them. Also, he is planning to re-do Kashyyyk as a large map (2 or 4 maps together).

The Ossus Landing Platform (one of the hardest WotC maps to find) is kind of like the outside of a destroyed Jedi temple (not exactly a temple, though, and it's just the outside). Some other maps portray various types of destruction, but not of a temple: Commander's Office (Ravaged Base) and Christophis (broken), for example. As stand-ins for the Jedi temple (not destroyed), I like Royal Palace, Jedi Enclave, Hall of Judgment, and the new Great Library from Armored Cartographers Map Pack 5.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 6:27:19 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:

Felucia has been done and is in JC Map Pack 1. Kashyyyk has been done and is in JC Map Pack 2. Those two are probably the hardest map packs to find, but I believe he made the PDFs available if you ask for them. Also, he is planning to re-do Kashyyyk as a large map (2 or 4 maps together).

If anyone wanted to have the above mentioned maps printed...

http://sdrv.ms/PLSDDO > Holocron > Maps > Jedicartographer
(All of MP1 and 3 maps from MP2 are there, Kashyyyk is one of them)

Quote:
The Ossus Landing Platform (one of the hardest WotC maps to find)

http://www.mapsofmastery.com/scifi.html

click the bottom left map image (Ossus) - there is a text-only link to a 150dpi PDF hidden there. Same with the Taris pic next to it.

Smile
den25
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 10:14:53 AM

Maps I'd like to see:

1. Tantive IV

2. Imperial Star Destroyer - as part of a 2 map deal possibly. Or just one map. Flying Arrow mentioned that he'd like to see more starships (complete) and I would too.

3. Dagobah - Would love to have it for jedi only scenarios.

4. Naboo Plains - a big open map with some rolling grassy hills and a few gungan statues laying around.

5. Tatooine - The Skywalker homestead.

6. General Griev's starship for the opening scene of Revenge of the Sith.

Some of these may have been done and if so please point me in the direction of where they may be.

BigGrin
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 10:34:19 AM

Dagobah is Swamp Caves, found in Forsaken Lands by Christopher West (MapMaker). I think it's out of print, though.

There have been lots of Tatooine maps, but not the Skywalker homestead.

A complete Star Destroyer is far too large to do as a map. You would need to line up 30+ maps end-to-end. The Tantive IV or a generic Correllian Corvette could conceivably be done. It would probably take 4 to 8 maps. (I think there might be some custom maps of it out there already, actually.) However, in either of these cases you're talking about official Lucas/Disney ships, so it's unlikely MapMaker or JediCartographer will do it. Best hope is a ship with a similar size/function.
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 10:35:16 AM

The board to the popular board game "Clue". Secret passage ways and all.Laugh
den25
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 12:38:30 PM

Quote:
Dagobah is Swamp Caves, found in Forsaken Lands by Christopher West (MapMaker). I think it's out of print, though.

There have been lots of Tatooine maps, but not the Skywalker homestead.

A complete Star Destroyer is far too large to do as a map. You would need to line up 30+ maps end-to-end. The Tantive IV or a generic Correllian Corvette could conceivably be done. It would probably take 4 to 8 maps. (I think there might be some custom maps of it out there already, actually.) However, in either of these cases you're talking about official Lucas/Disney ships, so it's unlikely MapMaker or JediCartographer will do it. Best hope is a ship with a similar size/function.

Yea, I thought that Swamp Caves was a take on Dagobah. But with it being out of print and since it's missing the cave where Luke faces himself I would like to see a new and improved version done up.

I agree there are a lot of Tatooine maps out there, and I have them all. I just want the Lar's/Skywalker homestead for some scenario stuff I'd like to do.

Yes, I agree a full sized star destroyer is not possible, but maybe the bridge or hanger area, or a scaled down version similar to what we see for the Death Star map. When I mentioned the word "complete" in my post I was more thinking some of the smaller starships kind of like what Maps of Mastery has done in the past.

I'd like to see a "Corvette Class Starship" that is 2 maps placed end to end to make it a 72" x 24" map that is modeled after Tantive IV. I would never suggest to do any type of copyright or licensing infringement and since there's not a specific Official Tantive IV Star War's minis map out there, by simply renaming the map like JediCartographer has done in the past it would probably be ok.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 12:48:46 PM

A larger multi-map starship would be great. I know MapMaker has a 4-map space station running around in the background. He posted rough sketches of it a looong time ago. Dunno if it will ever be released.

The caves on Swamp Caves are on the left side of the map. It's kind of hard to tell without looking closely, but all the black circles on the right side of the map are tree trunks. The hut is inside the trunk of a massive tree, but most of the misshapen black obstacles are cave walls. The main opening to the cave is just past the fallen tree. The winding tunnels and broken ledge are the other two entrances to the cave.

http://www.mapsofmastery.com/swmstuff/SwampCaves72dpi.jpg

Of course, if you think those caverns aren't deep enough, the Deep Caverns map connects to Swamp Caves so you can go right through that cave into a whole map of other caves:

http://www.swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9452

---
Edit:
Oh - and I just noticed on Christopher West's Facebook page that he's planning to re-print Forsaken Lands I (Swamp Caves). He also mentions new space-background maps, so perhaps that's the space station.
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 11:10:40 AM

I too would like to see more Residential maps. I loved the Giant Gencon Map with all the buildings. Maybe there could be a giant map released each year? Also Vong maps would be cool as well.
SignerJ
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 12:54:24 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
The Tantive IV or a generic Correllian Corvette could conceivably be done. It would probably take 4 to 8 maps. (I think there might be some custom maps of it out there already, actually.)

There is a Tantive IV custom map. You should be able to find it on the SkyDrive. It was made by someone with the username "Antwon," if that is any help.
markedman247
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 1:35:54 PM

A few:
Manaan Deep Sea Base
Balmorra War Zone and Toxic Waste Processing/Sewer
Belsalvis Prison

FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 3:08:30 PM

markedman247 wrote:
A few:
Manaan Deep Sea Base
Balmorra War Zone and Toxic Waste Processing/Sewer
Belsalvis Prison

Oceanic Facility in the new Map Pack 5 is meant to represent Manaan.
den25
Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2014 11:21:55 AM

Quote:
The caves on Swamp Caves are on the left side of the map. It's kind of hard to tell without looking closely, but all the black circles on the right side of the map are tree trunks. The hut is inside the trunk of a massive tree, but most of the misshapen black obstacles are cave walls. The main opening to the cave is just past the fallen tree. The winding tunnels and broken ledge are the other two entrances to the cave.

http://www.mapsofmastery.com/swmstuff/SwampCaves72dpi.jpg

Of course, if you think those caverns aren't deep enough, the Deep Caverns map connects to Swamp Caves so you can go right through that cave into a whole map of other caves:

http://www.swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9452

---
Edit:
Oh - and I just noticed on Christopher West's Facebook page that he's planning to re-print Forsaken Lands I (Swamp Caves). He also mentions new space-background maps, so perhaps that's the space station.

Yea, when I saw the swamp cave, the image I saw I couldn't read the names on it. I do see then names with your first link now, thanks.

Here's to hoping he does reprint it, I do love to have scenario specific maps... I'm kind of a nerd that way...lol.
atraangelis
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2014 12:54:54 PM

Hi there
I would love to see smaller maps For a Different purpose.

I came to BLoo Milk because im a roleplayer and use the minis for Star Wars RPG's.

I find that the larger maps are nice for Centerpice scenarios but would like to see maps no large than 8x11 For use as random locations.

Cantinas,
control rooms,
Small ships,
Small Base interiors,
Sections of Large capital ships,
THe inside of an AT-AT

These would be used as location encounter settings. I thinking the same way clone wars had the card stock tiles of modular locations.
SignerJ
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2014 1:06:12 PM

atraangelis wrote:
I find that the larger maps are nice for Centerpice scenarios but would like to see maps no large than 8x11 For use as random locations.

A lot of custom maps are split up into 8x11 pieces for easier printing. Would those be helpful?

I also found an 18x18 Desert Outpost map by Cyberdragon.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2014 1:09:47 PM

Christopher West (username Mapmaker, website Maps of Mastery) has produced several sets of tiles along those lines.

www.miniaturemarket.com carries them. I don't know where to go to buy his latest set of tiles, though (Cantinas). It was apparently released at Gencon and he has it pictured on Facebook, but I don't see it for sale anywhere.

Cargo Tiles has random cargo to move around, along with other scenery. Not very useful on its own but good way to fill out the other maps.

Surveillance Station is the small base you're looking for. Two sides depict either a space station or a water-based station.

Railway Station Tiles is just what it says - build your own modular railway station. Works well with all of his Mass Transit maps, and Railway Floor is an empty track that's basically tailor made for this tile set.

Alien Starship Tiles - build up a starship this way, but it's a Yuuzhan Vong starship so the artwork is pretty specific.

Two Cavern Tunnel packs but I'd consider those to be D&D tile packs.

Latest one has Cantinas.

The Battle Stations II map pack comes with a set of tiles depicting the multiple levels of the interior of the ship that is in the docking bay.
atraangelis
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2014 1:10:02 PM

Some what.
THe ideal thing would be maps that are all on one sheet so i can have themin a binder ..

SO i can simply bage through them and pull out the one Pice of cardstock with the generic map on it.

I hate drawing them as there is so much talent building simple grid maps here.

IT would be way cool.