RegisterDonateLogin

Still effective inside Thrawn's Force bubble.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

How the heck do you build a Vong Squad? Newb question. Options
adamb0nd
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:44:01 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

ok, im not a newb. I just don't play vong.

Vong seem like they should have a fighting chance at this point in competitive play. I don't know if it's my general lack of knowledge of vong in the star wars verse, or just that the faction plays so differently from the others, but I seem to get really overwhelmed when trying to build a vong squad. They seem like they have some awesome synergy, but there just arent enough points in a 200 point squad to get everything you need. Clearly you have to pick 2-3 commanders and then just fill the rest with scrubs... but It's hard to decide whats actually needed.

For example, the squads seem to lend themselves to movement breaks now... +2 speed, charging, battle ready, +2 move on failed crab armor. You can't include them all. How do you decide what works and what doesn't?

Also, while i've notice you can really pump the the vong damage, but i'm having trouble seeing how to raise the attack score along with it.

Just looking for a basic guide on how the vong actually work these days.
donnyrides
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:22:12 PM
Groups: Member

I've only used them in VASSAL. I've done very well with "nom bombs" or Yoven Carr and as many cheap vong as possible.

Or you can do both with Nom and Carr then as many scouts as you can get. Else it's to the v-set and use the remade Acklay piece.

I'm too cheap to buy enough actual pieces to pull this off in live SWM. I'm not going to drop $1.50 U.S. a piece on junk 1 trick pony vong minions
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:36:31 PM

1. Always Have A YAMMOSK!!!!!!!! You can steal other people's commander effects so when facing thrawn this is a great advantage.
2. Commanders: The advanced agent officer is a great commander as is the warrior caste subcommander.
3. Voxyn: This is how you would make a vongserves squad with a Voxyn Queen.
4. Firebreathers: These pieces are cool because they deal so much auto-damage best used if you have an Utupaun wrangler.

That's all the advice I've got.
CorranHornsux123
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:52:58 PM

Gungan Batman Clone wrote:
1. Always Have A YAMMOSK!!!!!!!! You can steal other people's commander effects so when facing thrawn this is a great advantage.
2. Commanders: The advanced agent officer is a great commander as is the warrior caste subcommander.
4. Firebreathers: These pieces are cool because they deal so much auto-damage best used if you have an Utupaun wrangler.

I agree on all these points ^_^
SignerJ
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:18:19 PM

adamb0nd wrote:
They seem like they have some awesome synergy, but there just arent enough points in a 200 point squad to get everything you need.

Hit the nail right on the head.
Deathwielded
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:26:58 PM

Gungan Batman Clone wrote:

Those first 2 points are golden, the War Coordinated is basically an auto include, plus he boosts the advanced agent officer's CE range!ThumbsUp
I also don't play Vong often and have had a tough time coming up with some viable squads. Here are links to the ones I'm still testing out: Don't Mind Us We're A Little Shai were I boost up the Domain Shai Warrior's

Explosive Invasion force
This is my reserves squad for the Vong

Peace Brigade that is anything but peaceful This is still a Vong Squad, but with an emphases on Super Stealth Shooters.

Deathwielded
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:35:36 PM

In short the Best Vong pieces to use are:
obviously, Nom Anor Super Stealth plus Self Destruct 20 is amazing and has keept the vong alive since he came out.

Prefect Da'Gara, for Reinforcements/Activation control/ Door control.

Supreme Overlord Quorreal, also for Reinforcements/Activation control but now throw on the option of Aggressive Negotiations.Wink

Domain Shai Subaltern, helps out Shedao Shai as well as many others with his great CE.

Nen Yim, if you really want to boost a unique vong.

Yomin Carr, great CE don't forget him!

Warrior Caste Subcommander, the new Auto Include, try him out he really makes the Vong Scary!

Praetorite Vong Scout, I have found is the best "warrior" to boost with the Subcommander's CE.

Plus the aforementioned Yommosk War Coordinated and AAO
markedman247
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:43:27 PM

My advice: don't try.

They are a factional dead end.

Unless you are JHC, then go right ahead. ;)
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:53:29 PM

I find it really hard to get a gauge on what the best Vong squad is - I've tried the Subcommander, and I found the lack of movement frustrating, and was also worried, with lots of little 10-40 hp guys, that a Lancer could easily cruise through and decimate my squad. It's a nice option for them, but I don't think it's going to prove to be over-strong - I guess it depends with what else is in the meta.

Quorreal is a piece I'd try to fit into most Vong builds. That 11 point Ossus bodyguard is strong too. Shaper is great, but it would be even better if each Vong cost a little more and had 10 more damage to start with - it's kind of similar to all the Droids needing a BDO with their bad attack ratings.

Kezzamachine made the final of the NZ Championship this year with a Chazrach/Celeste/Zam build - it's not very Vong-ish, but Chazrachs are often where I look when I want to play Vong. That low attack can be annoying, and there are probably plenty of bad matchups, but the Charging Fire is strong and you can drop in Malakili for unavoidable damage.

I do think they have some shooting options that haven't been fully explored. The new Peace Brigade guys look very helpful - they have Stealth, and can easily drop 60 on something. And Mezhaan Kwaad is pretty awesome - it's fun giving a Fringe shooter +4 attack and +20 damage with Shaper and Scarification, and going to town.

They're just not as popular as some of the other factions, and don't get as much table time. I think they maybe have enough strong components to make a good squad, but I have no idea what it is.
juice man
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:48:14 AM

This is something TimmerB123 posted in V-set 7 spoilers.

"The main damage output of Vong is Melee, so they really struggle against guns. They do have a few movement breakers, but they only really shine outside of Nom Bombs (IMO) when they steal swap (the best movement breaker in the game).

It is a gradual process. Long have the Vong suffered against melee. Set 5 released Nei Rin which gave +4 defense for allies with V. Crab Armor against non adjacent attacks, and also let's them move 2 squares when they fail a crab armor save, thus letting them prevent the twin/additional attacks if positioned right. These on top of being a shaper (+10 damage to all Vong) are really great abilities, but the Vong still need more to compete.

One issue is that it's really hard to fit all you need into a squad with Vong. Gotta have the Yammosk (15), Quorreal is one of the best values in the game (costing 4-9 net points after his reinforcements with psuedo-rapport), but costs 30 initially, if you want to have warriors or hunters, you pretty much have to have a shaper (20 min, but the better ones are in the high 20s), Jakan was brought up, and he's good but expensive (27), then you usually need at least 1-2 commanders to help the Vong's typically pitiful attacks hit (11 for the cheapest Advance Agent Officer who is awesome, but they become less cost efficient after that), The really awesome but not cheap Domain Shai Subaltern who grants charging (29), and of course you still have to put in door control (at the moment, Lobot is still the best option - 27), and if you don't want to go the route of Vong heresy - you have to include a bunch of Zanoma Sekot Scouts, or the very overpriced Prefect Da'Gara (37) for Firejelly. Quednek is an awesome piece, but has low HP and a pitiful Low attack, but still cost you 20, and you'll need another large to make them really killer in case you steal swap with the Yammosk, but you can probably bring that in with a reinforcement. Oh - and then you need some warriors or hunters, and you're almost out of points.

Then there is the issue of virtual auto-losses. Vong have more than any other faction. What do Vong do when they face a bunch of droids? In Universe they go beserk and tear them apart. In our game - they turn inept. This is crazy! A Spit poison squad nerfed by a few mouse droids? That sucks. Try running your Jedi Hunter swarm against an IG-88 or IG-86 squad. Good luck! Don't even get me started about strafe vs (anything other than nom bomb) Vong. It's a massacre! I've even beaten Nom Bombs several times at regional tournaments with a lancer (it was much more of a match - it took very careful play). Finally disruptive - it hurts the Vong so bad. It totally squashes spit swarms and nom bombs, and it even hurts warriors and hunters because without attack boosts like the AAO, it's very hard for them to HIT ANYTHING!

Vong have scarey damage potential, but issues are getting TO the fight, and auto-losses. Cheap teach could help bring some of the auto-losses into a competitive match, and other little movement breakers and SAs can help them not be killed before they can even attack. It's a razor's edge balance - because too much in one direction and the already scarey damage potential would make them too good. That's why we are trying to add things gradually to the Vong to aide in that. "

Read this and thought - perfect for this OP. Really sums up Vong problems. NEVER BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT!
Deathwielded
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:06:48 AM

juice man wrote:

Read this and thought - perfect for this OP. Really sums up Vong problems. NEVER BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT!

well, unless you're V from V for Vendetta, in that case bring plenty of knifes. Wink