RegisterDonateLogin

Every single Jedi, including your friend Bloo Milk, is now an enemy of the Republic!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Non V-Set building Options
Darth_Massey-Sith_Lord
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:06:36 PM
Groups: Member

So I have been away from the game for almost 4 years now, and would love to get back into playing with friends. I want to spend time teaching people how to play again as well. With that being said, I would love to have some great discussions with everyone (well everyone willing Flapper ) about building squads that don't include V-Sets.

I guess I want to start a general chat about which factions have the best power, what would you guys suggest for someone just starting out, and what are some of your favorite "for fun" squads I can put together to keep people interested!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
pegolego
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:51:28 PM

Pre v-sets, I think Thrawn + Vader was one of the strongest, General Kenobi tank squads were good. In Seps, Sidious + Lancer is great, and I've found that you can also make very effective squads out of Chameleon Droids and support (they are fragile vs. melee though). Also, Kybuck with Panaka and R2 is obviously a great squad that can be made with only Wizards pieces. I didn't start playing until after v-sets were released though, so even though I didn't use them right off the bat, a lot of old ideas had become kind of dead lol.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 5:08:19 PM

The big 5 squad types at the end of WOTC were:

i) Rebel "Cannon" - with Han Solo Smuggler, Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker Rebel Commando, General Dodonna, General Rieekan. The GenCon winning squad from 2010 used General Crix Madine, Elite Rebel Commandos, and Gha Nachkt, and Lobot as backup as well. You get tons of tech, triple override, Djem So (anti-Lancer), disruptive, a big end of round threat (Han/Leia), and the option to bring in 10 Mouse Droids with Lobot so you can outactivate almost anything with Dodonna.

ii) Skybuck - Yoda on Kybuck, General Skywalker, Dash Renegade Smugger, Captain Panaka, R2. Lots of movement, Yoda can take down activations, then Dash can put a big hit on the big piece (120 damage at +14).

iii) Solo Charge - Mara Jade Jedi, Ganner Rhysode, Mara Jade Jedi, Han Solo Galactic Hero, General Dodonna (there are variants with Kyle Katarn Jedi Battlemaster too). Mara levitates in and cunning assaults something for 120. Once she's finally down, Anakin can levitate in and blow up for lots of auto-damage. Han provides another good shooter and disruptive.

iv) Thrawn Swap - Thrawn, Ozzel, Mas, some attackers. Cad/Arica is an option, but it was a Lord Vader/Jarael build that came second in GenCon 2010.

v) Lancer - I'm a bit hazy on this, so someone might correct me, but I think most popular builds include some mix of Darth Sidious (the 36 point Clone Strike one), a Lancer or 2, GGDAC/Whorm, Battle Droid Officer, and IG-86s if there's space.

These 5 squads are generally seen as better than anything else, in the period after Wizards production ended and before v-sets started. Tempo control, mass killers, and movement breakers were dominant strategies at the highest level, so if your faction didn't have most of those things, you couldn't really keep up.

Darth_Massey-Sith_Lord
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 5:22:46 PM

I used your 4th example from day 1 of GAT's release so I'm *VERY* familiar with that one :)

This is a great start, but now I'd love to hear some of your favorite "for fun" types of squads! remember, I don't want to just crush my friends. I want them to have fun playing so they keep that drive alive (because I want to play!)

Once I get them into the feel for how games work, then I can dump some of these top tier ideas on them and keep things going.

Again, thanks and keep this rolling!
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 5:26:39 PM

Sorry, I meant Mitt'Thrawn, the one from Imperial Entanglements. He surpassed GAT in most builds, since he boosts uniques with Opportunist.

Tournament builds switched from 150 points to 200 points for Regionals/GenCon in 2010 as well.
Darth_Massey-Sith_Lord
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:27:11 PM

really?!

200 just seems too slow for me. 150 gives you the ability to use 2-3 big guys with filler or a great combo while at the same time having a faster play to it. When i used to play (even when I went to game nights that WotC used to sponcer) 200 point games would take way longer than an hour.

Also, I loved using the new thrawn in certain builds so I know where you're coming from with him.
SignerJ
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 7:30:19 PM

When it comes to people just starting out, I think that it is a good idea to start out with either no uniques or a limit of one or two uniques per squad. It creates more of a focus on squad building, and it also helps to prevent overly-powerful squads that might ruin the fun (for example, GOWK, or this).
Chrinch
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 7:33:09 PM

My group and I don't use v-sets what so ever so feel free to look at my squads (I'm only Seps actually) but the members or_travis, kosokono and c_inch3 are part of the group so look at their squads too to get some ideas :)
darthbinks1
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 7:35:21 PM

I love using GGDAC. He allows a lot of fun, competitive builds using the vast array of sep and fringe droids that are out there. There are many great droids to choose from and the combinations are endless.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:20:44 PM

Darth_Massey-Sith_Lord wrote:
200 just seems too slow for me. 150 gives you the ability to use 2-3 big guys with filler or a great combo while at the same time having a faster play to it. When i used to play (even when I went to game nights that WotC used to sponcer) 200 point games would take way longer than an hour.

We get most 200 point games finished in an hour at tournaments. You just need to know your squad and your map, and know what you want to do with it.

After playing 200 a lot, 150 and 100 seem comparatively bland and uninteresting, although I do enjoy 150 quite a bit. With 200 there's a lot going on and you have enough space to make your squad more flexible and adaptable. With 100 or 150, it's more like you have one single strategy that you're trying to enact. A 150 point game seems really slow to me if it takes more than 35-40 minutes.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:54:49 PM

Chrinch wrote:
My group and I don't use v-sets what so ever so feel free to look at my squads (I'm only Seps actually) but the members or_travis, kosokono and c_inch3 are part of the group so look at their squads too to get some ideas :)

OK - here's a list of 5 well performing squads from 2010 (before v-sets). Are the squads your group has developed able to beat at least two or three of them consistently?

Quote:
--Yodabuck Maximum--
51 Yoda on Kybuck
47 General Skywalker
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
27 Lobot
23 Captain Panaka
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
4 Gran Raider
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(200pts. 9 activations)

Quote:
--Solo Charge--
50 Han Solo, Galactic Hero
45 Mara Jade, Jedi
29 Ganner Rhysode
27 Lobot
23 Anakin Solo
12 Gha Nachkt
9 General Dodonna
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
2 Mouse Droid
(200pts. 16 activations)

Quote:
--Smug Commandos (2010 Gencon Champion Squad)--
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
27 Lobot
27 Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando
20 Princess Leia
32 Elite Rebel Commando x2
16 General Crix Madine
14 General Rieekan
12 Gha Nachkt
9 General Dodonna
8 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit
8 Mouse Droid x4
(200pts. 15 activations)

Quote:
--Gimp Imps--
71 Lord Vader
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
27 Lobot
23 Jarael
11 Admiral Ozzel
8 Mas Amedda
5 Imperial Dignitary
21 Rodian Brute x7
(198pts. 14 activations)

Quote:
57 General Grievous, Droid Army Commander
36 Darth Sidious
30 IG Lancer Droid
30 IG Lancer Droid
16 IG-86 Assassin Droid
12 Gha Nachkt
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
2 Mouse Droid
2 Mouse Droid
2 Mouse Droid
2 Mouse Droid
2 Mouse Droid
Chrinch
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:08:53 AM

Probably a few of us could but we don't have every piece so it probably depends.

However our group plays fun games and different versions to keep it fresh. We don't always want to run top tier squads all the time and found just making fun silly squads can be better. A lot of the time we realise that some squads that look great on paper just don't seem to work out and squads that look ridiculous on paper end up working better.
donnyrides
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:02:41 AM

I have lots of "for fun" squads I use. I'm in the same boat as you are. Coming back to the game after a 2 year layoff and finding all my stuff can't compare to the V-set. Me and my few other SWM players have yet to use them in a live game. I have had a lot of fun with Gundarks, Wranglers and the Ithorian Commander. Sprinkle in some Bith BSV and Aqualish assassins and you have a fairly reasonable squad that doesn't require the purchase of $10+ pieces to play.

I also like to use simple Droid squads with Grievous scourge of the jedi and some other min-max buff ups like battle droid sergeant and commander and super battle droid commander. Then some cheap droids, whatever you have on hand. Like you said, squads for fun, not necessarily tournament squads.

one more that I like to use is the super stealth sev squad. bacarra, Mas, Obi jedi general and a bunch of sevs and a fixer and maybe a boss too. nothing fancy.

And my last "for fun" squad is at the below link. I got a ton of utapauns in a trade for a "lot of 50 common/uncommon" SWMs on the old WotC trade site. So I made lemonade from my pile of lemons :)
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/135607/thrawn-and-utapaun
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:13:24 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

donnyrides wrote:
I'm in the same boat as you are. Coming back to the game after a 2 year layoff and finding all my stuff can't compare to the V-set.

Those squads that TheHutts posted are essentially 'the meta' for WotC. Those squads (and only those squads) were the top squads when WotC ended the game. The Vsets were designed with those squads in mind - there are now a dozen or more squad types that are comparable in power to those squads. There has been a bit of power creep - the squads above are improved with some minor tech-pieces in the Vsets, but the core of the squads don't have to be changed.

I'm sure one of the reasons TheHutts asked if people had any squads to handle all of them is that if you do have a squad that can compete well with all of them, you may have discovered another squad to be the pure-WotC meta.

(Indcidentally, I believe the top Lancer build was one with only 1 Lancer and more IG-86s.)
Chrinch
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:16:40 AM

That's awesome to hear! Yeah we play tournament style rules but are squads generally aren't. Its good you have a group as well. As of right now there's 8 in ours going strong and we actually do a lot of team games which is really fun like 2 v 2 or 3 v 3.
CerousMutor
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:34:42 AM

44 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Unleashed
39 Luke Skywalker, Legacy of the Light Side
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
15 Whiphid Tracker
15 Whiphid Tracker
15 Whiphid Tracker
14 General Rieekan
13 Czerka Scientist
9 R2-D2 with Extended Sensor
8 R4 Astromech Droid

It's not a great squad, but when it rolls it's fun.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:56:48 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Those squads that TheHutts posted are essentially 'the meta' for WotC. Those squads (and only those squads) were the top squads when WotC ended the game. The Vsets were designed with those squads in mind - there are now a dozen or more squad types that are comparable in power to those squads. There has been a bit of power creep - the squads above are improved with some minor tech-pieces in the Vsets, but the core of the squads don't have to be changed.

I'm sure one of the reasons TheHutts asked if people had any squads to handle all of them is that if you do have a squad that can compete well with all of them, you may have discovered another squad to be the pure-WotC meta.

(Indcidentally, I believe the top Lancer build was one with only 1 Lancer and more IG-86s.)

I agree with the above post - I think a lot of the reason people don't appreciate the v-sets is that they don't understand the level of power that could be squeezed from the very best WOTC combos, and how much better they were than casual squads. V-sets needed to be good to keep up with that, to bring the other factions up to speed, and to provide different viable tournament builds for all the different factions. I do disagree about the tech - I think three of the squads are pretty much still optimised with WOTC-only. IMO the changes are that Poggle/Drones are a strong supplement to the Lancer squad, and that Cad Bane/Pellaeon/Arica or Morrigan Corde has taken eminence as the premier Thrawn squad. Although Darth Jim made the GenCon Top 8 with completely different pieces with Thrawn this year, so again v-sets are providing options. I guess you could argue that the Lobot reinforcement options from the Cantina Brawl mini set could help the other squads though.

Also, for those who aren't aware - billiv15 made the GenCon final last year using only WOTC pieces, and UrbanJedi has won/placed highly at Regionals this year with WOTC only squads. Those above squads are all really strong, although changes in the meta can push and pull them out of favour, like what happens in any kind of game like this. Plus it's often just more exciting and fun to try out the new exciting pieces that just came out, rather than use something that's five years old and you know inside out already.

The Lancer build I posted was the one that UrbanJedi took to the Top 8 at GenCon 2010. I didn't trawl through Regional results for that year though.

Fun options that I do like:
- General Skywalker with Jedi Weapon Masters and Dash in Republic.
- Ossus Guardians in New Republic with Garm Bel Iblis to bring in an Ithorian Commander.
- GMA Kyle Katarn Jedi Battle Master in New Republic.
- Old Republic: 7 Jedi Battlemasters with 3 Ugnaughts (that's 800 hp to chew through....)
- Imperial TBSVs with Imperial Governor Tarkin, Xizor, and a Czerka (incredible damage output, but really squishy and no movement breaker to compensate)
- there's probably a fun Rebel Swarm with Han in STA, Leia Hoth Commander, and the Ithorian Commander - maybe Aqualish Assassins?
donnyrides
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:59:15 PM

I feel like I may have started something bad about V-sets.... I have no problem with them. I love that players have bonded together to keep breathing life into this game. I just implied that power creep kind of took over and made a lot of old pieces that were good, obsolete. The biggest example is my old Jango. It used to be a really good, not great, but really good piece. It is now rather dry and old with no V-set piece to save it either. Same with Bane. He is very outclassed by other pieces and no V-set piece to save him. I know WotC did a good job of power creeping their own stuff and that was done at the collectible "buy more stuff" level.

The V-sets have added a whole new world in this game for me to explore. I'm dying to try out Gloom Walkers and Maul infiltrator in a real non vassal game. Same with the remake of the Acklay into a vong fire-breathing animal. Thanks to V-sets I look forward to using the revamped and even renamed pieces that I have in a baggie known as the "I'll never use these" bag. A lot of thought and coordination goes into building V-sets, I would never downtalk that.

i just wanted to clear the air a bit. I felt like their was a war brewing about V-sets vs WotC sets.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 2:16:24 PM

donnyrides wrote:

I feel like I may have started something bad about V-sets.... I have no problem with them. I love that players have bonded together to keep breathing life into this game. I just implied that power creep kind of took over and made a lot of old pieces that were good, obsolete. The biggest example is my old Jango. It used to be a really good, not great, but really good piece. It is now rather dry and old with no V-set piece to save it either. Same with Bane. He is very outclassed by other pieces and no V-set piece to save him. I know WotC did a good job of power creeping their own stuff and that was done at the collectible "buy more stuff" level.

I think Bane gets some support from v-sets - even though there's nothing specifically targeted just for him. Bane's biggest issue is getting into melee range without getting shot up too much, and there are a couple of pieces that help with that. Darth Revan, Sith Lord can run up, and then swap Bane in adjacent to something so Bane can bash stuff. Similarly, Darth Zannah can stand in front of him and deflect shots while he gets into melee range. I've lost a game to the Zannah/Bane combo.

With Jango, I guess the v-set team have gone with the replacement option. Neither of the Jangos were top flight pieces by the end of WOTC - I'm not sure if they were top tier options at some point, but they definitely pale in comparison to the GMA shooters like Captain Rex, Dash RS, and Cad Bane. People will have different opinions about which pieces to support/pump up and which pieces to just replace. I think the new one is much better and more flavourful than the previous options - I like how Mandos and Seps are the two factions that work best for him, which makes sense thematically.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:58:13 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Something else to note... builds with General Obi-Wan Kenobi would be in the meta - and possibly change the meta entirely. He was so good that he was banned entirely at the end of the WotC era. Vsets have provided enough counters to him that he is now legal.