RegisterDonateLogin

Almost untouched by CGI.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

What are some good SWU books to read? Options
pegolego
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 9:54:40 AM
Groups: Member

Just trying to find some good EU material and thought I'd ask my fellow milkers for tips ThumbsUp.

A local store had some Republic Commando books and Maul, Shadow Hunter for 2-3 each in paperback... Are those worthwhile? Also, I had someone recommend the Darth Bane books and a Darth Plagueis book (I read the 1st Bane book; CHS123 was going to lend me his copies of the last 2 when our trade went through, but still kinda waiting on that... Bored). I started but have yet to finish the KotOR comics.

What are some of YOUR favorite books/graphic novels taking place in the Star Wars Universe?

Discuss BlooMilk
saber1
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:29:55 AM

You can pretty much bank on anything written by Timothy Zahn or Michael Stackpole. Some of the following are work of other authors.

"Thrawn Trilogy" - Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command
X-Wing: Rogue Squadron (I've read the first 4 or 5)
I, Jedi
"Jedi Academy Trilogy" - Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, Champions of the Force
Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
Shadows of the Empire
"Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy" - Mandalorian Armor, Slave Ship, Hard Merchandise
"Coruscant Nights Trilogy" - Jedi Twilight, Street of Shadows, Patterns of Force

That should get you started.Wink
pastorbudwine@mac.com
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:29:37 PM

Thrawn Series
Bane Series (my favorite)
Legacy of the force
fate of the jedi
the new empire and rebellion series is not that bad either but not as good as the others
darthwhovian
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:38:10 PM

Thrash series bane series and I would also recommend tales of jab as palace and tales of the mos Sisley cantina short story books! Bane series is killer, wish they ended it differently though. Also Revan and the darth Plagueis books are well done as well!
adamb0nd
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:56:46 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I always liked the "Tales From..." books, as I read them all as a kid. But its really hard to say if they were any good by todays standards. I remember loving Shadow of the Empire too... but after rereading it last year, I felt like it was pretty bad.
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 1:02:36 PM

Go for comics, quicker to read and beautiful artwork.

Best Graphic novels my opinion:

Thrawn series
KOTOR
Republic
Jedi versus Sith
Dark Times

If nothing else than:
Dawn of the Jedi (new and ongoing)
Legacy (ongoing)

Those are your farthest back past and future
racanelli89
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 1:43:31 PM

Bane Series is a must!
I like Revan from the old republic series as well.
Darth Maul Shadow Hunter is a good one too.
pegolego
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:24:24 PM

Ok, I've got plenty to chew on here, thanks a lot everybody!

Also, I saw Red Harvest by Joe Schreiber, but I looked on amazon and it seems to have horrible reviews, so I think I'll pass on that one (it was $4 for a used mass market pb...).

Next run through the said store I'll probably pick up a copy of Maul, Shadow Hunter, and check for other stuff. I definitely saw some Zahn books, I'll look into those.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:23:49 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Old Republic: Fatal Alliance is my favorite of the ones I've read. It's stand-alone, though, so it's kind of disappointing that almost none of the characters appear anywhere else. I've read (i.e. listened to) probably close to a dozen now.
Deathwielded
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:28:59 PM

Thrawn trilogy is basically what made the Star Wars EU come alive, a good read.
Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindar is also a good interesting read. But I suggest you read Mace Windus book Shatterpoint first for background.

I particularly enjoyed Legacy of the force series and then Fate of the Jedi.

Jude Watson also writes well, but more for a young adult audience. I love her tales of Obi-wan's Early years.

Kenobi (the book) was pretty interesting and I enjoyed the humor very much. I think it could have been better and I didn't like what they were trying to do with one of the characters in the book, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

The origanal Clone Wars comics are great too if you haven't read them already, they made Quinlin Vos one of my fav Jedi. Plus it totally blows the New Clone Wars tv show out of the water. I have read MANY of the novels and can probably let you know about most of the books that have come out from 2- 10 years ago. I haven't read all/most of the newer books however.
Deathwielded
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:36:25 PM

I, Jedi is good as is W-wing.
Darth Maul Shadow Hunter was also a good read.
Shadows of the Empire seamed good when I read it, but by todays standerds it's okay.
A really nice one is The Courtship of Princess Leia, it is an essential read for the understanding alot of later books. Dathomir, Hapes all got started here. Plus you get to read about C3-PO singing a song about Han Solo! What comedy! It's hilarious plus it at once humbles Luke and reveals how awesome he can be. I would give it a 9/10 in terms of star Wars books
Deathwielded
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:43:22 PM

darthwhovian wrote:
Thrash series bane series and I would also recommend tales of jab as palace and tales of the mos Sisley cantina short story books! Bane series is killer, wish they ended it differently though. Also Revan and the darth Plagueis books are well done as well!

I agree I think they could've ended the Bane series better. Revan the book has taken alot of heat for what happens to Revan (I won't spoil it, but I doubt anyone interested in the OR doesn't know how it ends) I think it had some interesting ideas, but the fights scenes could use some work, I found them to mostly be uninteresting. Darth Plagueis as a book started out well enough and had a good middle, but the end had left much to desired IMO. Made Plagueis a MUCH more interesting character though.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 8:28:24 PM

What I liked the most about the Plagueis novel was that it actually went into the background of Episode I and made all those various senate scenes as well as the whole blockade event make so much more sense.
darthwhovian
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 9:52:56 PM

Agreed about revan book, still should be read though. The Plagueis book was really informative in certain back stories. The best part was the info on Darth Tenebrous! A really cool character IMO!. Also I recommend The Tenebrous Way short story.ThumbsUp
darthwhovian
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 9:57:43 PM

Sorry I know it's a little off topic, but I hope that they make another Bane Book!! How cool would it be if the Force brought him back or another sith, or even him as a sith spirit!! Anything I would buy!! Must admit Bane is In my top 5 favorite characters in all of SW!!Drool
Deathwielded
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:20:54 AM

EmporerDragon wrote:
What I liked the most about the Plagueis novel was that it actually went into the background of Episode I and made all those various senate scenes as well as the whole blockade event make so much more sense.

I totally agree. Who had any idea why the trade federation was blockading Naboo before they read this book?
pegolego
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:40:17 AM

Deathwielded wrote:
EmporerDragon wrote:

I totally agree. Who had any idea why the trade federation was blockading Naboo before they read this book?

I definitely must read this, then BigGrin
trappedslider
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:58:37 PM

I'm going to recommend Zahn's stuff, however I will add caution regarding anything by Karen Traviss.
PrimeClone
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 2:59:33 PM

darthwhovian wrote:
Agreed about revan book, still should be read though. The Plagueis book was really informative in certain back stories. The best part was the info on Darth Tenebrous! A really cool character IMO!. Also I recommend The Tenebrous Way short story.ThumbsUp

Are you sure Darth Bane Died? Did he not transfer essence on Zanna? I'm pretty sure he did. Read how she twitches after the fight... just as Bane used to do.

Cheers

P.S that was one of the best stand alone trilogy I ever read. Everything was cool about that story.
Dr Daman
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 1:56:01 AM

*SPOILER ALERT*

PrimeClone wrote:
Are you sure Darth Bane Died? Did he not transfer essence on Zanna? I'm pretty sure he did. Read how she twitches after the fight... just as Bane used to do.

Cheers

P.S that was one of the best stand alone trilogy I ever read. Everything was cool about that story.

Bane only managed to implant that one piece of himself to Zannah, not anything more (this was confirmed by The author Drew Karpyshyn himself). Zannah apparently bests Bane in the battle of wills during the essence transfer, banishing his spirit into the void of the Force.

I agree with you though, it is one of the best SW trilogies of books I've ever read too! I was so into the story line that I managed to read book two in one day. I just couldn't put it down!