LowerHuttaCon 2014! Options
kezzamachine
Posted: Friday, May 2, 2014 10:08:38 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Daman beat Graham 201-48
kezzamachine
Posted: Friday, May 2, 2014 10:18:56 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Ouch... Lost to Stuart 200-15. Conclusion: Angry Luke doesn't work!

Aaron beat Mike 200-46, Hayden beat HaweraDave 200-55, Oli beat Paul 169-86.

Semis: Aaron vs. Mike, Daman vs. Hayden
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, May 3, 2014 3:19:34 AM
Groups: Member

Dr Daman is LowerHuttACon 2014 Champion, defending his title, and beating Mike Moore Smuggler in the final. More details to come, as it's late here :).
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, May 3, 2014 3:20:51 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
What version of Daala is Ian running?

Snow Troopers. 11 with Piett/GARY/Pellaeon/LIN.
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, May 3, 2014 12:02:42 PM

OK - full squad lists.

1st place (3-1 after Swiss) - Dr Daman on Bothan Spynet, 9 points after Swiss
Raxus in her Prime
27 Admiral Daala
20 Piett
16 Pellaeon
16 GARY
14 Imperial Officer
14 Stormie on Sled
11 Needa
8 Mas
8 R7
6 Ugnaughts
60 Raxus * 12

Beaten Finalist (3rd after Swiss) - Mike Moore Smuggler on Tomb of the Acolytes, 8 points after Swiss
Tentative HoE
Luke HoE
Biggs Rebel Pilot
Lobot
Jon Dutch
Red Squadron Ace
Klat Captain
Dodonna
Juno
Tantive * 4
Ugnaught * 2

3rd (2nd after Swiss, but lost semi) - Sharron on Asteroid Base, 8 points after Swiss
Home Game
Han GH
Mara Jade Jedi
Ganner
Anakin Solo
Dodonna
Lobot
Ug * 2
YV Ossus Protector

4th - Hayden Solo on Ruined Base, 8 points after Swiss, 4th due to win % (got second round bye)
Not Applicable
Embo
Talon Karrde IB
Dash
Lobot
Marn
Jarael
TBSV
Mouse * 2
Ug

5th - TheHutts on Bothan Spynet, 6 points
Netdecking Jason
Dooku
Bx Spotter
Bx Sniper
Lobot
San Hill
Poggle
Drones * 10
Ugnaught

6th - doug*platypus on Asteroid Base, 6 points (lost to theHutts on head to head)
Lorde's Muppet Guards
Caedus SL
Lobot
Sith Trooper Captain
Gloom Walker Sniper * 4
Sorceror Acolyte
Sith Recruit
Ugnaught * 2

7th - Stuart on Rhen Var, 6 points (lowest win % due to bye)
For Shame!
Quorreal
Yu'shaa
Vua Rapuung
Yomin
Yammosk
Shaper Adept
Yun Harla Fanatic * 2
AAO
Shamed One * 10

8th - Darth O on Asteroid Base

Will finish later :)

TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, May 3, 2014 5:41:17 PM

8th - Darth O on Asteroid Base, 5 points
Valenthyne's Day
V Farfalla
Lord Hoth
Bastila JM
Carth Onasi, ORS
Lobot
OR Senator
Salacious Crumb
Ugnaught

9th - Ian on Bothan Spynet, 5 points
Snow Swarm
Daala
Piett
Pellaeon
GARY
Snowtrooper Commander
LIN Demolitionmech
Snowtrooper Officer
Mas
R7
Raxus
Snowtrooper * 11
Ug * 2

10th - Darth Moore on Tomb of the Acolytes, 3 points
Thrawn in your Side
Celeste
Thrawn
Lobot
Rakghoul Warrior * 2
Ozzel
Mas
Rodian * 5
Ug * 2

11th - Kezzamachine on Tomb of the Acolytes, 2 points
Angry Luke
Celeste
Luke HoE
Han RG
Lobot
Malakili
Watto
Dodonna

I should add some more notes later, but this was a really tough field and tough tournament. Very noticeable that a lot of the squads had high activations too.

Semis:
Mike 200 bt Sharron 146 on Tomb
Daman 125 bt Hayden 59 on Bothan Spynet

Final:
Daman 200 bt Mike 30 on Tomb
atmsalad
Posted: Saturday, May 3, 2014 7:39:57 PM

Thanks for the rankings and squad lists, I look forward to reading your guys play reports. (Yes I am that nerd that can't wait to read them...)
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, May 4, 2014 2:54:32 PM

OK - I don't know if I'm entitled to a play report, since I came 5th, but I did play most of the semi-finalists, so here you go. I made the late decision to run with Dooku, with Lobot, Spotter, Sniper, and 10 Geonosians, largely as I was expecting a lot of strafe/gallop squads which Dooku would dispose of (it turned out there were none....). It meant that I went to a major with a squad that I'd never played before. I also wanted to break my Separatist hoodoo - previously I was 0-5 with Separatists in competitive games, and I figured if I took them to a whole tournament I'd probably win a game somewhere along the way:

Game 1 - vs Hayden Solo (Talon's Hat Trick)
Hayden's a newer player, who plays with Kez at school at lunchtimes. He was playing Ysalamari which made like difficult for me, but I was playing a Spotter Droid, which gave his all shooter squad problems. He won map, so it was Ravaged Base. I bought in Ponda Baba and a Camaasi with Lobot, while he bought in an R7, Momaw, and some fodder with his reinforcements; and that was probably the crucial point of the game - if he'd bought in a bodyguard I think the outcome of the game could have been very different.

Since I had a big activation advantage, I could set up for a Sniper/Spotter shot at Talon at the start of round 3. They hit Talon for 50, taking him down to 30. I did make a mistake by not leaving the bodyguard next to the Spotter, and Hayden capitalised by sending Embo in to take out the Spotter, which was probably a good trade on his part, given he had a shooter heavy squad. Dooku hit him for 40 with Jedi Reflexes, then finished him off in his own turn. I then sent Ponda forward as a meatshield, and blew a door, setting up so the Sniper could do the remaining 30 on Talon. He hit, with Ponda combining fire, and that was really game, as Dash, Jarael and the TBSV without CEs couldn't do enough damage to take down Dooku and his defensive abilities (Makashi/Lightsaber Duelist and Deflect with MOTF2), and he finished off still almost at full hit points. There was a bit of a side game going on with Geonosian Drones and Momaw, where I realised later that I'd been misusing Dooku's CE as rangeless - but I don't think it really affected anything as I won with enough time to spare to clean up and a very healthy Dooku.

Game 2 - vs Mike Moore Smuggler (Luke HoE, Biggs, Tantives)
I forgot that Luke had Overwhelming Force, so I thought this matchup would be straight forward, and that Dooku would be able to shrug off most of the damage from Luke and Biggs. I bought in Evazan for healing and a Mouse. Mike won map, so we played on Tomb of the Acolytes. I confidently moved Dooku to hold gambit at the end of the round, and whacked Luke with Jedi Reflexes when he moved in. Mike won initiative, declared Overwhelming Force, and smashed Dooku for 120 damage (needing 8s) that I couldn't do anything about. I then hit Dooku back, rolled something a bunch of low numbers and did 20 damage - he could have easily killed me on a successful Djem So save/Overwhelming Force anyway. From that point the game was gone - I took an ill advised swipe at a Tantive and lost Dooku, but even that was immaterial and it was just a long and painful cleanup from there.

I could have played a lot better - in hindsight my best strategy would have been to bring in max activations and Salacious with Lobot, nail Juno with the Spotter/Sniper or Dooku, and use my drones to take down Luke - but I probably wouldn't have had enough of an activation edge to set up such intricate maneuverings. Congratulations to Mike, who had a nasty squad that caused most other squads in the field a bunch of problems.

Game 3 - vs doug*platypus (Caedus, Gloom Walkers)
This was a fun game; I won map so we played on Bothan Spynet. I played badly at the start, bringing my Poggles up too far and too soon, and doug/dave/platypus took advantage, SBMing them into line, then shooting one to set off a chain reaction, killing Lobot and putting 40 on Dooku. I used Evazan to bring Dooku back to almost full health, used the Sniper/Spotter to pick off a Gloom Walker, and used Chain Lightning to put damage on clusters of pieces. After that, it was a war of attrition, but doug wasn't able to put enough damage on Dooku, while Dooku's Chain Lightning was very helpful to take out multiple pieces at once. After I killed most of the remaining pieces, I naively retreated Dooku into a turbo-lift in gambit so he could recover some force points. However, doug still had double override remaining, with a Sith Trooper Captain and one Gloomwalker, so he could outactivate me (once he chased down San Hill, which fortunately took a while since I was running away), then open the door, take some shots, then close it. By the time he chased down San Hill and got everything into position, I had built up almost enough gambit points to get to a 200 point win, and Dooku just held on with 30hp remaining. Full credit to doug*platypus, who played much better than me and made the most of his opportunities, but didn't really have enough firepower in his squad to cause Dooku problems.

Game 4 - vs Dr Daman (Raxus Primes)
With 6 points, I either needed a win here or other results to go my way (mainly Mike beating Sharron) to get through to the semis. Obviously a tough matchup; I lost map roll, so we played on Peaceful City. My plan was to get my Spotter to the gambit door first round, and try to hold gambit with Dooku's Jedi Reflexes and the Spotter's Energy Shield. This came spectacularly unstuck when I neglected to count the squares his Repulsor Sled could reach - it looked like a LONG way, but at 23 squares he could base my Spotter, shoot it, take the cannon shot with the Imperial Officer, and that was game.

That was obviously sloppy play on my part, but it would have been tough regardless - I think I could have given Dr Daman a game on a map where I could reach gambit safely, but on this map he had all the cards to hold gambit safely and a swarm of Raxus with Pellaeon and Needa rerolls was always going to be a bridge too far for me, especially after he rolled reserves to bring in 6 more Raxus Primes (he could have bought in 8, but he didn't have enough of them). I did manage to kill 9 Raxus Primes - Dooku got a good lightning in an area which Pellaeon wasn't protecting, and the Drones did some damage with the CE - as well as Pellaeon and an Uganught, so I got to a relatively respectable 64 points, but I was still never really in the game after throwing away my Spotter.

So the loss relegated me to 5th place and out of the semi-finals. On one hand, I had a tough draw - I played three of the semi-finalists, beating one of them, plus doug*platypus who finished in 6th. But on the other hand, as you can read above, I made at least one bad mistake in every single game, so it's not like I was playing scintillating minis and was deserving of a semi-final place. It was a very tough tournament with a lot of very experienced players; our bottom two placers were a hall of famer and a player who's recently taken out two big tournaments. Interesting, we had a parallel final matchup as in the PA Regional, held on the same day; Daala Troopers defeated a Rebel build with Tantive Troopers in both finals.
Dr Daman
Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 3:59:03 AM

Another LowerHuttaCon has come and gone. I was fortunate enough to defend the title I won for the first time last year (both times running Imperials)! so here is how my tournament went....

I was playing Daala in Her Prime V2.0. Even with the errata to Daala and the Zygerian, I think she still packs a massive punch but with a smaller range than before. I decided to use Bothat Spynet for my map as there are quite a few walls for me to run around and nice places to hide my sled.

Game 1 - vs Bye
Definitely my easiest game of the day. From the get go I was in total control and I felt like I didn't even need to put my pieces on board as there was no way Bye could take this win from me. 1-0 (3pts)

Game 2 - vs Sharron (Home Game - Han Solo GH, Mara Jedi, Ganner and Annie Solo)
Sharron is by far the best player of Solo Charge and it's variants in NZ. He's also part of the group that meets at my place on a regular basis to play and chuck around squad ideas, so I've played him on many occasions. He won map roll so we played on Asteroid Base and I decided to take the left side. With this squad I try to set up with at least 3 attacking routes so this map worked really well for this. Sharron brought in Momaw and Salcious with Lobot. First round was spinning pieces and positioning. I was worried about Momaw so I only advanced a few troopers at a time. Second round was a bit more of the same except I managed to take out his Uggies. The third round was when it all started happening. I ran a trooper up and took out Lobot early to eliminate all his door control He used Dodonna to try kill that trooper but missed. Annie Pushed it to kill it. Another trooper rushed up to kill Dodonna. I don't remember much of what happened after that, probably just more shooting and I think Momaw got a War Throat off to take out a couple of troopers. At the end of the round I used my R7 to open the large door from the "Landing Pad" area to get some no-cover shots off on Han. One trooper shot and two from the sled (one via the Imperial Officer) was all it took as Han failed all his Evade saves. Then I took out Momaw and from then on it was pretty much clean up as I didn't have to worry about Disruptive or War Throat and I could put my troopers wherever I wanted. Score was 215-54. Hard game for Sharron to win in the end with all my movement and multiple attack lanes. Great opponent and a really stand up guy! 2-0 (6pts)

Game 3 - vs Mike Moore Smuggler (Tentative HoE - Luke HoE, Biggs, Klat Cap, Juno and Tantives)
Mike is another one of the players from our play group and also my brother, so I HATE losing to him but love playing against him! We have some truly epic moments. This game probably wasn't one of those. He won map roll and we played on the new Tomb of the Acolytes. Mike brought in Two Twi'lek Bodyguards with Lobot. Mike had a ton of activations and Dodonna so my first mistake was not swapping out GARY for Ozzel. First round was positioning and me rushing for gambit. Second round I took out a few of his Tantive troopers and he took some of my Raxus troopers. I used my R7 to lock his guys in a room so I could safely advance and position for round three as his Lobot and uggies had already moved. Round three was slow and I think it was the last round we played. Neither of us wanted to make a mistake but I made few and Mike capitalised on them. I forgot about Juno's Disruptive and ran a trooper at one of his bodyguards to clear it for some shoots on the big boys. Only hit for 20 so I needed to use another trooper to kill it. Mike was able to camp out in a room and use Biggs to GMA out and take out a couple of troopers then run back in. In a last ditch effort I ran my speeder into his back line to shoot his Red Squadron Ace, hoping he'd miss his evade rolls. He didn't. I used the Imp Officer to let the sled take a shot at Dodonna and kill him. The RSA went after the sled but missed both attacks and that was pretty much it. Mike had more kills but I had three rounds of gambit. Score was 48-47 to Mike, but it was his game all along and had it gone on much longer, he would've finished me off easily. 2-1 (6pts)

Game 4 -vs The Hutts (Netdecking Jason - 100pt Dooku, BX Spotter, BX Sniper, San Hill, Poggle and Drones)
I don't get to play against Graham often, so I was really looking forward to this game. I won map roll, but we both had Bothan Spynet so we were always playing there. He brought in 4 Mouse Droids and an R7 (I think) with Lobot. Graham set up on the left with everyone inside the main corridor of the middle area or in the "Briefing Room". All except his spotter, that was put in the 3 wide corridor all by itself. At first I though it was a mistake, but he later explained his tactics to me and it made perfect sense. This time I did change GARY for Ozzel (vital move)! First round he Intuition'd with the spotter and then ran it towards the north "Turbolift" door. A few drones were moved and a few troopers and tech went like wise until Graham was all out. This is where the game was probably won. My sled was 23 squares away from the Spotter! I charged in and hit it for 40 then the Imp Officer let the sled attack again. One dead Spotter. I ran Pellaeon up with my troopers so Dooku couldn't deflect my shoots or chain lightening them so it was reasonably easy for me to win with that advantage. I also rolled reserves (40 points worth with Daala and Ozzel) towards the end just to add salt to the wound. Score was 201-64. 3-1 (9pts) 1st place after Swiss!

Semi-Final vs Hayden Solo (Talon's Hat Trick - Talon, Embo, Dash, Jarael, Lobot and Marn)
I'd played Hayden earlier on in the year with him using a very similar squad to this, so I knew a little of what to expect. I figured before the tournament that Talon (with a bodyguard) and YoBuck were going to be my hardest match ups for the day and I wasn't wrong. Hayden brought in a Gamorrean Bodyguard and two mice with Lobot and an R7 with Marn. I won map roll and we played on Bothan Spynet. Hayden took the left and set up similar to how Graham had in my previous game. I also set up the same. Round one was positioning with my sled getting early gambit. Round two was much of the same with Hayden very reluctant to move outside of the building he had started in. At the end of the round I managed to get some doors open and run the sled next to Jarael to put 80 damage on her (with the aid of the Imp Officer) to kill her and then lock the door so it couldn't be killed at the start of the next round. Round three and I run the sled back to a safe place to use for later. Hayden picks off some more troopers while I pick off his mice and R7. The rest of the game sees Hayden camped in one place, pinned back by my trooper swarm. I take down Marn and a do some damage to other figures, but Hayden was always chasing this game and when time is called, I'm ahead 130ish-40ish (can't remember the exact score). I think if Hayden had been more aggressive, it would've been a closer game, but he admitted to me afterwards that he has trouble with swarms and feared what my troopers were capable of.

Final vs Mike Moore Smuggler (Tentative HoE - Luke HoE, Biggs, Klat Cap, Juno and Tantives)
Mike wins map again so I'm back to playing to Tomb of the Acolytes. I like this map for the walls that my Raxus Prime Troopers have access to, but I really don't like the shooting lanes or lack there of. Mike again decides to bring in the two Twi'lek Bodyguards with Lobot. This time I don't make the mistake of keeping GARY over Ozzel and this is probably what made the most difference to the last game we played. First round is very similar to the first round of our round robin match except I move my sled up into gambit to get the early lead. Round two, and now that I out activate Mike, It's he who has to make all the moves while I spin commanders and pick off some Tantives. He decides to run his Red Squadron Ace and a bodyguard up into the gambit area, hoping to make a play for the sled, and moves Luke, Biggs, Juno and the other bodyguard up to the top of the map. I take out the RSA's bodyguard with a trooper and now Mike thinks I'll use the sled to take it out, but he'd positioned Juno in a place I could get to for a no-cover shot at her. He bodyguards the first shot but the follow up shoot granted by the Imp Officer takes her down. Now I throw 3 troopers next to Biggs and am able to kill him. Now to take care of the RSA. I think I had to run 6 troopers at him before he missed two of his evade rolls and finally falls. At this point the game is pretty much won for me. At the start of round three, Mike kills off two troopers with a Klat Captain shot and some splash damage. He then runs Luke passed a trooper trying to make a break for my back line commanders, gets a crit for his troubles and fails the defence save. It's at this point that Mike concedes. My firepower is too much for Luke to take all by himself so there really isn't much point in continuing. Score is 200-20ish. A big congrats to Mike who played a great tournament and was a deserving finalist.

It was a fantastic day and I'd like to say a massive thanks to TheHutts (Graham) for organising such a fun event.

Also, I'd like to say thanks to Mando for pushing me towards using this squad. Seems it worked out for the best. Thanks heaps mate!

Now to plan my three-peat!