RegisterDonateLogin

Bloo or Bloo not. There is no cry.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Dessel and his gloomy friends? Got any squad ideas? Options
atmsalad
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 3:12:16 PM
Groups: Member

I am thinking of taking a Dessel squad to the chicago regional. Here is my best idea so far.

--"Walkers"!!!--
42 Dessel
28 Darth Talon, Sith Assassin
20 Sith Trooper Captain
72 Gloom Walker Sniper x4
11 Darth Sidious Hologram
8 R7 Astromech Droid
4 Sith Recruit
9 Mouse Droid x3
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(200pts. 15 activations)

What it lacks in versatility it makes up for in survivability. If you guys would help me brain storm I would really appreciate that.
urbanjedi
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 8:38:38 PM

I would try and find a way to get MArka Ragnos Ghost in there for the pseudo MOTF2 for Dessel. It can be very helpful since on a blaster barrage you really, really can't afford to miss any of the attacks and the ghost and it's pseudo MOTF2 will help with that.

TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 9:00:34 PM

doug*platypus took this to LowerHuttACon - it was strong. There's no Dessel, which makes the Gloom Walkers less survivable, but Caedus is so good with all his movement options and flow walking trumping initiative control.

Caedus Sith Lord
Lobot
Sith Trooper Captain
Gloom Walker Sniper * 4
Sorceror Acolyte
Sith Recruit
Ugnaught * 2
atmsalad
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 6:03:01 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
I would try and find a way to get MArka Ragnos Ghost in there for the pseudo MOTF2 for Dessel. It can be very helpful since on a blaster barrage you really, really can't afford to miss any of the attacks and the ghost and it's pseudo MOTF2 will help with that.

On top of that, dessel will get a second reroll for his avoid defeat saves. The issue is making room, the easiest the to do would be to dump either talon or a sniper. I am just not sure how valuable having that is, it doesn't seam worth either taking out a sniper or talon.
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 6:11:23 AM

Playing jak for fun and used this:

42 Dessel
20 Bith Black Sun Vigo
90 Gloom Walker Sniper x5
16 Grand Admiral Rulf Yage
9 Mouse Droid x3
12 Ugnaught Demolitionist x4

(200pts. 16 activations)

Kind of amusing (snort, chuckle) he was playing alot of Klatt Assasins. Ka-boom, from a distance.
atmsalad
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 6:51:46 AM

TheHutts wrote:
doug*platypus took this to LowerHuttACon - it was strong. There's no Dessel, which makes the Gloom Walkers less survivable, but Caedus is so good with all his movement options and flow walking trumping initiative control.

Caedus Sith Lord
Lobot
Sith Trooper Captain
Gloom Walker Sniper * 4
Sorceror Acolyte
Sith Recruit
Ugnaught * 2

Caedus is solid, but I don't think that squad would fare well against daila, naboo or poggle bombs. Avoid defeat and blaster barrage are a huge plus. So is being able to reroll attacks with the walkers. Also in play testing I have had some good dice rolls. I think I only failed one avoid defeat save the first time with a walker. Does anybody know the odds with 2 rerolls on making avoid defeat saves? Also, talon with renewal just soaks up damage with a bubble every turn. Against accurate shooters she can cloak.
atmsalad
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:09:05 AM

juice man wrote:
Playing jak for fun and used this:

42 Dessel
20 Bith Black Sun Vigo
90 Gloom Walker Sniper x5
16 Grand Admiral Rulf Yage
9 Mouse Droid x3
12 Ugnaught Demolitionist x4

(200pts. 16 activations)

Kind of amusing (snort, chuckle) he was playing alot of Klatt Assasins. Ka-boom, from a distance.

I like this, but I would rather take out one walker and a uggie so you can give the snipers double. Your losing one shooter, but potentially gaining 3 shots not moving. Plus the captain has double on his own if needed. I have toyed with the idea of giving them evade, but I like talon for the melee interference and damage absorption. Although rerolling evades is crazy...
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:14:27 AM

Thought about the Cptn. but figured anytime they aren't moving, they would be VSRing. Without VSR they only hit non steath/cloaked. Had a hunch he would have that in his squad. I knew it would be all fringe. (he might have had Zam in there too)
atmsalad
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:50:23 AM

Wait, so VSR can target stealth and cloaked?
DARPH NADER
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:59:48 AM

Yes... Also ARC Trooper Scouts with Ordo very nice combo to deal with such opposition.
atmsalad
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:16:21 AM

Shweet, learn something new every day.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 6:34:57 PM

atmsalad wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

Caedus Sith Lord
Lobot
Sith Trooper Captain
Gloom Walker Sniper * 4
Sorceror Acolyte
Sith Recruit
Ugnaught * 2

Caedus is solid, but I don't think that squad would fare well against daila, naboo or poggle bombs. Avoid defeat and blaster barrage are a huge plus. So is being able to reroll attacks with the walkers. Also in play testing I have had some good dice rolls. I think I only failed one avoid defeat save the first time with a walker. Does anybody know the odds with 2 rerolls on making avoid defeat saves? Also, talon with renewal just soaks up damage with a bubble every turn. Against accurate shooters she can cloak.

With no force points or rerolls, the odds of Avoid Defeat are 25%.

With a reroll from Dessel's CE, I think your odds go up to 50%
50% make the first one/50% chance make the second one = 25%
50% fail the first reroll, but 50% of those make the reroll/50% chance of second = 12.5%
50% make the first one/50% fail the second one, but 50% of those make the reroll = 12.5%
So you have a 50% chance of making the Avoid Defeat save with Dessel's CE. Although things like Exar Kun DFS or Disruptive make it much harder.

My take is that Caedus is a Tier 1 piece - he can mess with your opponent's plans, he can put all your Poggles in a row, then shoot them, he can go before you've activated. Dessel is just too gimmicky for my liking.
atmsalad
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:07:33 PM

TheHutts wrote:
atmsalad wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

Caedus Sith Lord
Lobot
Sith Trooper Captain
Gloom Walker Sniper * 4
Sorceror Acolyte
Sith Recruit
Ugnaught * 2

With no force points or rerolls, the odds of Avoid Defeat are 25%.

With a reroll from Dessel's CE, I think your odds go up to 50%
50% make the first one/50% chance make the second one = 25%
50% fail the first reroll, but 50% of those make the reroll/50% chance of second = 12.5%
50% make the first one/50% fail the second one, but 50% of those make the reroll = 12.5%
So you have a 50% chance of making the Avoid Defeat save with Dessel's CE. Although things like Exar Kun DFS or Disruptive make it much harder.

My take is that Caedus is a Tier 1 piece - he can mess with your opponent's plans, he can put all your Poggles in a row, then shoot them, he can go before you've activated. Dessel is just too gimmicky for my liking.

If it weren't for the extra reroll from the force point I would agree with you about it being gimmicky. With the snipers getting two rerolls for their avoid defeats that is good enough odds for me. Also having force points to reroll attacks is super helpful. Darth Talon is a beast, and giving her force renewal is just to easy. I may have to play test this squad some more before I know how I really feel about it.

I completely agree with you about caedus, but he currently just seams like another tier 1 piece that will fall hard to daila and friends. With him being a newer piece I haven't had a chance to play him, only to read play reports and what not. I may have to see it in action before I can properly gage what to do with him.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:26:22 PM

I guess those odds do get quite high with Sidious Hologram and Dessel's reroll - they could come back a few times if you have some luck. Those Snipers are a good step up from the previous Gloom Walkers.
atmsalad
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:06:15 PM

Oh yes, without a doubt a step up. Since I have found out just how good verpine shatter rifle is, I like this squad that much more. Still not sure if I want to take this to a regional though. Closer to Chicago I will be posting the top three squads I am trying to pick from so I can get some advice. It will only be my second regional so I am quite nervous, lol