RegisterDonateLogin

5.5% Force By Vol

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

KotOR: Tabletop RPG experience? Options
pegolego
Posted: Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:36:05 AM
Groups: Member

So, I'm wondering if there have been any RPG editions (as in the WotC d20 physical RPG type games, not the PC game, which is awesome. It could be officially printed or something fan-made or whatever) that are (or are similar to) based off of the Knights of the Old Republic PC game(s)?

I think it'd be really fun to play through that on a good 'ol SWM map, using our pieces (maybe even commissioning a custom for my own character? Oohhh....), and since I'm already familiar somewhat with how that goes, I think that that would be a good way for me to get into the RPG more smoothly, with some friends.

Just thought I'd ask BigGrin BlooMilk
Jonnyb815
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:28:52 AM

There is the KOTOR book for Saga wotc d20 game. Pm for more info about how to get a pdf of the book.
We are looking at playing the Saga RPG on vassal coming up with Trev, Bill, Lou, Dean, Matt. There is a thread over at gamers. We need a GM thats why it not gone anyway.

We could play the KOTOR era if you would want to play
kobayashimaru
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 7:00:38 AM

Howdy!
Kotor, what a great era!
The Prima GameGuide for KOTOR 1 is set out a little like an RPG manual: it has all the rules from the computergame, and can be used with minimal tweakage in a variety of game systems BigGrin it also has an index.

As for the custom figureage; there are loads of folks here on off topic and customs forums who'd love to help out...
that, and it can be exciting to dabble and customise yourself;
checkout the custom how-to sticky; it has loads of paper-craft figures and vehicles you can use as stand-ins and proxies/props as well BigGrin
Need some hostages of various species quickly? papercraft
want slightly more vehicles in your games at 1/52nd scale? Papercraft BigGrin
There's robots and buildings and all sorts!

As to your specific player model,
if it is a species we've not seen or a concept that theres a lot of support for (troig, besalisk, Paaerduag), basically figures that were underrepresented, you might be able to team up with some people over on my offtopic avengers assemblage thread, and we can try to share your player character with a wider audience! (maybe even have a Surf statcard for it? Chances are, its murphys law of star wars minis customs: if you can think it, Surf's made a neat statcard for it, and has put it on Bloomilk!) BigGrin

Good luck in any event, and if you can, document some of the play-reports:
often times I've forgotten to, or players have made a fuss about "no facebook/blogging'
pegolego
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 8:18:09 AM

Thanks kobayashimaru for the thorough response Smile

The Prima guide sounds like a good place to start, I'll certainly look into checking that out (though this seems like one of those games where the guide has turned into some what of a collectors item, obtaining one could be hairy).

I'll let people know how it goes if I ultimately can get anything going.
adamb0nd
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 10:02:51 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Hey,

I've run star wars rpg's for a great deal of my life. Just so happens my longest running game went on for years was a KOTOR game. we would play it for a few months and switch to a different game, but came back to it and resumed the story many many times.

I suggest finding a place to download the books. I say this because the Star Wars Saga Edition book, and the KOTOR supplement would run you between $100-$200, the last time I checked. The books are discontinued and hard to come by. The prices may have dropped since Fantasy Flight released an new Star wars RPG... as that could drive down the pricing on WoTC (not sure without investigating).

I never bothered to buy the FFG RPG, as saga edition was one of the best RPG systems ive ever played, and really captures the star wars spirit well. Plus, it was designed to play with star wars miniatures, so, having a huge collection of figs and maps, I don't want to move to FFG's system, which is not really concerned with using minis. Saga has some problems at higher levels, as its really hard for the story teller to challenge their players once PC's hit a certain level... but thats also sort of within the spirit of star wars. Very seldom do high level characters have trouble with mobs and grunts, and its usually only the bosses who serve as a true threat.
pegolego
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 10:38:05 AM

So it seems that the Saga RPG book and the KotOR expansion for that is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. If I do end up trying RPGs, that's probably the venue I will explore. Are those pretty much the only two books I would need to play, or are there other sources or core books I should have?
adamb0nd
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 11:54:25 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

pegolego wrote:
So it seems that the Saga RPG book and the KotOR expansion for that is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. If I do end up trying RPGs, that's probably the venue I will explore. Are those pretty much the only two books I would need to play, or are there other sources or core books I should have?

I have the full Saga collection. Most of the books are fantastic, and many of them are fairly cheap in price (sadly, core and Kotor are not so cheap). If you are wanting to run a KOTOR game, you technically only need the Star Wars Saga RPG Core book. That book has all the rules for creating characters, running a game, and is the only must have for running a game in any era. The other books CAN be used during a KOTOR era game, but they might not be as useful. For example, having rules on certain force powers and character abilities from the Clone Wars Era guide could still be useful, but having stats on Clone troopers and star fighter droids is not so helpful. All the books have useful rules that work in any era... just depends on how crazy you want to get. For starters, i would stick to The Core and Kotor guide.

I recommend the KOTOR book, as it contains stats for ships, enemies, planets, organizations, force powers, and characters common during the Old Republic time frame. It contains good information about how to run a game in the KOTOR era, and I personally feel like its one of the best saga supplements. However, I did just want to specify, it is not required. Depending on your knowledge of the era (or your wiki-skills), you could use just the core book to run a KOTOR game, but the KOTOR book will just give you some WOTC Official stats and story teller guidance. I'd recommend them both, depending on how big your pocketbook is.