RegisterDonateLogin

Price: 7 wupi wupi per gallon.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Need help setting up my first casual squads Options
phreedh
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:01:54 PM
Groups: Member

Hiya,
I've been buying a little (quite a few, to be honest - but don't tell my wife) SWM figs for general Star Wars wargaming and figured regular SWM skirmishing might be a fun past-time for quick pick-up-and-play gaming too. Thus I intend to get a few pre-fab squads sorted. There's just one thing, building from what I have tend to lead to rather dull forces with mostly troopers plinking away at each other. Another problem is I'd most likely get one or two sessions per year in. Tops. As such, I don't really have the time and opportunity to tweak by trial and error. =)

I want to build a few forces based on themes in the movies, that will face each other. They wouldn't be played in an open meta game so would not have to be top tier in any way. In fact, there would be no meta at all. Theme and internal logic (so no Han Solo with Greedo, Bossk and Obi Wan vs Thrawn and Wulf Yularen) would be much more important. Cost isn't really a factor either, but there's no need to go nuts on the most expensive pieces and the best combos. I just need something a little more techy than storm troopers vs rebel troopers. Here are a few themes I'd like to cover:

- Cantina scum and villains (would work vs both Rebels and Imperials)
- Rebel troopers vs storm troopers
- Endor scouts vs scouts
- Sand troopers vs Tusken Raiders
- Death Star main characters (Rebel) (vs above mentioned troopers, w Vader mixed in)
- Cloud City (ie Lando, Lobot, guards, pilots and uggies) vs Imperials as above
- Endor mains vs mains
- Jabba's palace mains vs scum
- Something with the classic bounty hunters. I doubt they'd all team up, so one squad with the six of them just doesn't feel right... So, bounty hunter + imperials and/or fringe vs main character + backup.

I can't be the first guy to be looking for this so if someone could either point me in the right direction or give me a few pointers to build around, I'd be very happy. I want to avoid anachronisms (so no ewoks on Bespin)... and power gaming, I'm not out to min-max a squad to beat my mates to kingdom come. I'm after a box full of squads I can whip out with a few beers an evening with a mate who have never played in his life but enjoys CCGs, board- and miniatures games in general.

I'm not opposed to using virtual set cards - or to proxy (ie use the same vader fig for any incarnation). Cost of miniatures are not really a factor either, nor is availability.

Also, what (fun) maps are there that support classic trilogy gaming?

Finally, and I realize this is more of a general topic, are there any articles around on the topic of something akin to a draft cube? I really like that format in Magic.

Thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Jeebus - that's quite a wall of text. Sorry!
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:10:00 PM

Quote:
- Death Star main characters (Rebel) (vs above mentioned troopers, w Vader mixed in).

Off the top of my head, this would be fun - no room for C-3PO, Chewbacca, or R2 at 100 points though. That Vader is really fun - he gets reserves so can keep bringing in troopers. Imperials would probably win though, as the Rebel squad doesn't have much ranged defense, but you could make it more like a scenario - eg Rebels have to get to a specified area, or kill 10 troopers, or something.

--Vader--
65 Darth Vader, Agent of Evil (v-set)
35 Stormtrooper x7
(100pts. 8 activations)

--Rebel Death Star--
38 Obi-Wan Kenobi
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
20 Princess Leia
15 Luke Skywalker, Farmboy (v-set)
(100pts. 4 activations)
phreedh
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:36:02 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Off the top of my head, this would be fun
Thanks TheHutts! Exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. =)

If I pump the squads to 150 I can fit in R2 w extended sensor, 3PO and Chewie enraged at 149 pts. Another possible swap that'd work nice thematically would be Luke and Han in stormtrooper armour. Ties in well with the enraged wookie sculpt too. Would end with this:

38 Obi-Wan Kenobi
34 Chewbacca, Enraged Wookiee
25 Han Solo in Stormtrooper Armor
20 Princess Leia
17 Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Armor
9 R2-D2 with Extended Sensor
6 C-3PO
EmporerDragon
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:28:05 AM

One thing to note here: If you're going to give the Rebel squad access to Override, the opposing team will need something to counter it or their own Override. Otherwise, the game can become lopsided incredibly fast as the squad with Override can easily lock down the opposing team for a cheap win. Heck, that was the biggest problem when the game first came out, where Boba Fett would snipe an Ewok, then hide with R2 in a broom closet until time was declared and win with a score of 3-0.
phreedh
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:22:49 AM

EmporerDragon wrote:
One thing to note here: If you're going to give the Rebel squad access to Override, the opposing team will need something to counter it or their own Override. Otherwise, the game can become lopsided incredibly fast as the squad with Override can easily lock down the opposing team for a cheap win. Heck, that was the biggest problem when the game first came out, where Boba Fett would snipe an Ewok, then hide with R2 in a broom closet until time was declared and win with a score of 3-0.

If that would be a problem, I suppose I could repaint an R7 in black and grey and call it R2-Q3 or something. =) Apart from that I don't see any canonical way of getting any existing piece on DS1.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:26:14 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Imperial Engineer has Satchel Charge.