RegisterDonateLogin

Impressive. Most impressive.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Thank you design team!! Options
Echo24
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:48:41 PM
Groups: Member

I'll also thank everybody for their nice words. I've loved my time working on the V-sets, and it's sparked my desire for further game design. I've got a handful of board/card game designs I've been working on lately (I'm actually testing prototypes of 2 brand new ones on Saturday!), and I've definitely got a huge list of lessons I've learned from my time as a designer on this game. One of my dreams now is to get a game published, and if I do I'll owe a massive thanks to the players and fellow designers of SWM. Sometimes it's really tough, and sometimes we screw up, but it's been a great experience overall and that's been largely due to you guys.

BlooMilk
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:11:14 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

If you ever get a game published, I only hope that it is played on a 22x34 grid map and science fiction is an appropriate setting. You instantly have about a 100 expansion maps all ready to use.
DonStamos
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:13:26 PM

Big thanks to the design team for this set - which is awesome - and all the past ones, too (those sets also ruled). Especially for all the Vong love. They're my favorite faction by far and Wizards didn't really do them justice, so I'm glad that the V-sets righted that wrong. And gave us Darth Caedus, Sith Lord - my single favorite V-set piece.
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:04:04 PM

AndyHatton wrote:
Jonnyb815 wrote:

For the record I only saying thanks to this set and past sets not Vset 7. That set gets a F- or a 20% out of 100

Yeah but why? You don't have to say that, this is an appreciation thread. You can be, you know, nice and just leave that negative bit out. It serves no purpose.

+1
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:06:54 PM

juice man wrote:
Jonnyb815 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
Jonnyb815 wrote:
For the record Vset 7 still sucks in my ideas.

But Daala was Vset 6. I thought everyone was supposed to hate Daala. What happened? BigGrin

Its not Daala that really is the problem its Vset 8 brought out counters to yodabuck and Lancer to off set the balance to Swarms.

All that Being said the Designers did a really good job maybe even too safe of a job to make sure the last set was balanced.

For the record I only saying thanks to this set and past sets not Vset 7. That set gets a F- or a 20% out of 100
Isn't 20% still better than WotC? Or at least as good?

There was whole sets of WOTC that were completely worthless... Except for the figures. You may have gotten 5 playable pieces out of some of those sets... Or even some that were over powered, under costed or bad for the game. Even with daala the designers have done nothing that comes close to the idiocy of WOTC.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:09:37 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Thanks for v-set 8 - lots of fun stuff.

I am having some difficulty understanding Jonny's sentence structure, but I really don't see the problem with v-set 7. I guess his issue is one of the following:
a) the Republic pieces in it are underpowered.
Padawan Commander has won a Regional.

b) Oppo Rancisis is disappointing.
He's fine. We don't need a Tier 1 Oppo tearing up the meta.

c) Some sort of personal grievance with a member of the design team on set 7.

For the life of me I don't know why either.

Jonny hates vset 7. (and he seems to be the only one that does.)

I can live with that. :)
kobayashimaru
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:48:31 PM

@TheHutts,
in relation to your sentiments/observations on the custom Oppo piece, I thoroughly agree
the fact that that particular figure, and Surf's variant Oppo Rancisis, aren't too broken and reflect the character were part of why I wanted a decent figure made of it hehehe. We want all our favourite pieces to be the best of the best, and luckily thats why there's home rules and personal cannon hehehe
At tournaments, Ive said it before and I'll say it perennially; we have some of the best mannered and well behaved/conducted people in the tabletop miniature gaming scene, worldwide. SWMinis players are generally a nice, higher grade of player - fewer griefing episodes, and always a fond reconstruction/interpretation of the best scenes from the films etc. Loads of fun, and we can have 3 to 4 times the amount of games as it takes for a single game of GW40K to set up and pack up... hehehehe.

@OP,
if only this were a google hangout/livechat of somekind... I'd be inclined to mosey along and waffle.
Does anyone know if there is a livechat/google hangout on SWMinis held anywhere, or a bloomilk one thats been going for ages but I haven't heard about because I've been living under a rock?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 10:00:08 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

SHNN once a week. Chat during the podcast.
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 10:02:14 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
SHNN once a week. Chat during the podcast.

It's a blast!
Jonnyb815
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:49:21 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

I am having some difficulty understanding Jonny's sentence structure, but I really don't see the problem with v-set 7. I guess his issue is one of the following:

But LOVE VSET 8
Darth_Jim
Posted: Friday, August 1, 2014 2:54:11 AM

Jonnyb815 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

But LOVE VSET 8

But this is an appreciation thread. You've already started your own grievance thread. Wasn't that the appropriate place for complaints? If you like vset 8 and wanted to compliment the designers on it, then post here and leave it at that. Save the 'everything else sucks' diatribes for your own thread or another topical one. Jonny, there are a lot of people...me included...who know you and want to welcome you back into the game. This really isn't the way to win those people over.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Friday, August 1, 2014 4:00:48 AM

@flyingarrow, atmsalad,
I've heard of that, seen a few hehe lurked
is there a link? Or do I need skype to come and waffle? BigGrin
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, August 1, 2014 6:45:35 AM

kobayashimaru wrote:
@flyingarrow, atmsalad,
I've heard of that, seen a few hehe lurked
is there a link? Or do I need skype to come and waffle? BigGrin

It is every Thursday at 10pm, there is a link on the podcasts forums page in the SHNN thread. =)
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, August 1, 2014 7:28:00 AM

Jonnyb815 wrote:

But LOVE VSET 8

Hey Jonny - we agree on this!

A lot of FUN figs in this set, and a handful of very competitive ones (but not TOO many).

It really feels balanced. Mandos needed something big and they got something BIG. Boba hasn't been seen in competitive play in awhile, and boy oh boy will he be seen now.

I love the CREATIVITY shown in this set, as well as the RESTRAINT. It's much better for the game when there are more power level 7 pieces, and just a handful of 9-10 power pieces. I think they've achieved that here. Think of the bell curve (7 being the peak of the curve), that's what we should be going for.
obsidian7788
Posted: Friday, August 1, 2014 12:55:05 PM

Received my set . Just wanna say keep up the good work love the new concepts.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Sunday, August 3, 2014 12:42:11 PM

Darth_Jim wrote:

I want to hear you sing that. At our annual gathering at Hooters during GenCon. After your usual allotment of alchohol.

Its a poem, so it would be a recital.