RegisterDonateLogin

It's against Bloo Milk's programming to impersonate a deity.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Theorycrafting Contest #6: Max Defense Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 11:34:22 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Return of the Theorycrafting contest!

This one is pretty straightforward. Build a 200 point squad (and if necessary a 200 point opposing squad). Calculate the defense for one of your characters under whatever situation you choose. You may need to describe what happens during the skirmish to explain the defense. Highest defense wins. Winner gets bragging rights. If there's a tie, then the winner is the first squad posted.

I suspect that Yun-Shuno Devotion will be key to the winner of this contest. A straightforward use of packing in Shamed Ones all around gets up to 47 defense in cover. (19 base defense + 24 Shamed Ones + 4 for cover).

So equal bragging rights for the best Defense that doesn't use Yun-Shuno Devotion.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 8:55:16 PM

Bump.
SignerJ
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 1:37:15 AM
Groups: Member

I didn't notice this the first time you posted it. When is the deadline?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:12:25 AM

It was going to be a week, but I guess we'll make it a week from now.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 9:32:32 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Return of the Theorycrafting contest!

This one is pretty straightforward. Build a 200 point squad (and if necessary a 200 point opposing squad). Calculate the defense for one of your characters under whatever situation you choose. You may need to describe what happens during the skirmish to explain the defense. Highest defense wins. Winner gets bragging rights. If there's a tie, then the winner is the first squad posted.

I suspect that Yun-Shuno Devotion will be key to the winner of this contest. A straightforward use of packing in Shamed Ones all around gets up to 47 defense in cover. (19 base defense + 24 Shamed Ones + 4 for cover).

So equal bragging rights for the best Defense that doesn't use Yun-Shuno Devotion.

Higher than that TJ. Don't forget the YV Seer, that gives +2 range to YV abilities. So now you are looking at range 5 Yun-Shuno Devotion, maxing out at 83 defense (19 base defense + 60 Shamed Ones + 4 for cover).

Of course - you can't fit that many in a 200 pt squad, and all the opponent needs is any kind of damaging area effect and you're hosed. Not to mention, who would ever attempt to accurate shoot Yu'shaa in the middle with that kind of defense? And talk about ripe for lock-outs. Anyway - it is a bit nutty to think about non-the-less.
DonStamos
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 11:50:46 AM

I'm totally going to do this to a friend who likes to play swarms.

:-p
SignerJ
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 2:58:14 PM

You should probably ban Chief of State Mon Mothma from the competition, since her CE hypothetically allows virtually limitless Defense.
pegolego
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 3:26:32 PM

It causes a Unique to die, though, so technically you couldn't get it all that high in a 200 point game. Unless you assumed that Lobot got a LOT of Fringe Reserves, but even then you eventually run out of Unique 30< characters to die lol.
SignerJ
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 3:28:31 PM

To jump on the Yun-Shuno Devotion bandwagon, use Vergere to give Yu'shaa Crab Armor 6, and then throw in Nei Rin to give Yu'shaa another +4 Defense, adding up to 87 Defense.

Here are the best combinations I've found for each faction I've looked at, so far. I've only put the combinations that increase the defense to the highest level, not building an entire squad up to 200. I think that adding in other pieces that don't help boost the Defense would do nothing but make things more complicated than necessary.

Ulic Qel-Droma, Jedi Knight + Cay Qel-Droma + Old Republic Captain + Cover (22+2+3+4=31)
81 points

Luminara Unduli, Jedi Mater + Barriss Offee + GOWK + Cover (20+4+4+4=32)
111 points

Veteran Snowtrooper (x4) + Felucian Stormtrooper Officer + Darth Vader, Imperial Commander + Cover (18+4+6+8=36)
113 points

Luke Skywalker, Hero of Endor + Golden One + Chewbacca and Ewoks in AT-ST + Cover (21+4+8=33)
99 points

Shedao Shai (at 10 HP) + Nei Rin + Yammosk War Coordinator (with GOWK's CE stolen) + Cover (19+6+4+4=37)
73 points

The last one (with Shedao Shai) would be my entry for the non-Yu-Shuno Devotion part. Embrace of Pain gives him +6 Defense when at 10 HPs, Nei Rin and Cover combine to give him +8 Defense, and if the Yammosk steals GOWK's CE, that's another +4 Defense while within 6 squares of an ally, adding up to a grand total of 37 Defense. (And only for 73 points, too!)

EDIT:
pegolego wrote:
It causes a Unique to die, though, so technically you couldn't get it all that high in a 200 point game. Unless you assumed that Lobot got a LOT of Fringe Reserves, but even then you eventually run out of Unique 30< characters to die lol.

Actually, it results from a Unique enemy dieing. If Mon Mothma is factored in, here would be the two squads for Rebels and opponent:

--Luke's Super High Defense--
50 Chewbacca and Ewoks in AT-ST
49 Luke Skywalker, Hero of Endor
44 Chief of State Mon Mothma
27 Ferus Olin
5 Golden One
148 points

--Cheap Uniques (Republic)--
27 Lobot
13 Todo 360
12 Gha Nachkt
12 Greedo
12 Logray, Ewok Shaman
12 Shmi Skywalker
12 Garindan
11 Watto
11 Ephant Mon
11 BoShek
9 Dr. Evazan
9 Wuher
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Ponda Boba
8 Wicket
8 Mas Amedda
8 Bib Fortuna
5 Salacious Crumb
3 Mouse Droid
200 points

Lobot's Reinforcements:
10 Owen and Beru Lars
10 Figrin D'an

In this situation, every enemy piece but the Mouse Droid is killed. Ferus Olin defects to the opponent's squad, and then he is killed, as well. Thanks to Mon Mothma's CE, this gives Luke another +21 Defense, leaving him at 54 Defense against a non-adjacent enemy.

(You could alsosome pieces for Supreme Chancellor Palpatine and create a scenario in which he repeatedly gets Reserves until he drains the entire Fringe and Republic factions of eligible Uniques, all of whom are killed, and then Palpatine, leaving only the Mouse Droid left. But that would be a lot of bookkeeping, and the list would be sooo long...)

EDIT2: An opposing Rebel squad can be constructed that contains 19 Uniques in the base squad and 2 more in Lobots Reinforcements. Adding in Ferus Olin, this gives Luke 55 Defense)
pegolego
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 3:48:00 PM

Ah, good point lol. My bad on the oversight.
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 6:16:24 PM

Three OR Characters in one 200 pt squad each having 35 defense in cover.

Covenant Protectors 18 Def +2 synergy +8 Advantageous Cover +3 OR Captain "+4 Atris Force Meditation"= 35 Defense

41 Atris
93 Covenant Protector x3
19 Old Republic Captain
16 Juggernaut War Droid
28 Old Republic Senator x2 (Provide Cover)
3 Mouse Droid

(200pts. 9 activations)
juice man
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 6:32:38 PM

Put Atris in SignerJ's Shedao Shai squad. 41 effective Defense. (19+6+4+4+4+Atris=41)

Edit: put Commander Tsalok in place of Shedao Shai - 45 defense. (18+11+4+4+4+Atris=45)
SignerJ
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 6:38:01 PM

juice man wrote:
Put Atris in SignerJ's Shedao Shai squad. 41 effective Defense.

I didn't include Atris because I don't think she counts. She lowers the opponent's Attack, she doesn't raise the character's Defense.
If Atris is allowed, that significantly changes a few of my designs.
juice man
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 6:40:43 PM

SignerJ wrote:
juice man wrote:

I didn't include Atris because I don't think she counts. She lowers the opponent's Attack, she doesn't raise the character's Defense.
True. The effect is the same.Cursing
There is something wrong with a force improved Vong defense.
juice man
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 6:42:53 PM

This is really creative, guys.BigGrin
Echo24
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 6:43:08 PM

Eeth Koth + GOWK works better than Luminara/Barris for Republic. With 10 HP, he's at 26 Defense, + 4 from GOWK + 4 from cover and that's 34. It's 87 points instead of 111.
SignerJ
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 6:43:36 PM

juice man wrote:
SignerJ wrote:
juice man wrote:

True. The effect is the same.Cursing
There is something wrong with a force improved Vong defense.

Very true. I would appreciate a ruling from FlyingArrow on this.
(I would also appreciate a ruling about if I need to completely calculate the total Defense Luke would be able to get if I were to change the above Republic adversary squad to a Reserves squad containing Palpatine and which brings in every possible Unique piece.)
Echo24
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 6:51:43 PM

Echo24 wrote:
Eeth Koth + GOWK works better than Luminara/Barris for Republic. With 10 HP, he's at 26 Defense, + 4 from GOWK + 4 from cover and that's 34. It's 87 points instead of 111.

Then you can spend 48 points on Cin drallig to give Eeth Koth Shii-Cho Style. That would bring him to 38 Defense for 131 points.
SignerJ
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 6:52:21 PM

Might as well throw this into the mix, just in case Atris and such stuff does count:

Commander Sha'kel (10 HP) + Nei Rin + Cover + Doctrine of Fear + Atris
(17+9+4+4+4+4=42)
113 points
(Does anyone knows of a stat-boosting CE that would affect Sha'kel?)

juice man wrote:
Put Atris in SignerJ's Shedao Shai squad. 41 effective Defense. (19+6+4+4+4+Atris=41)

Edit: put Commander Tsalok in place of Shedao Shai - 45 defense. (18+11+4+4+4+Atris=45)

Commander Tsalok wouldn't work because he wouldn't be eligible for GOWK's CE--it's followers only.
Echo24
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 7:00:55 PM

Ok, enemy squad is:

Poggle the Lesser
Geonosian Drone x95

My squad is:

Leviathan
Salacious Crumb

Each round, Salacious bases a Drone, and the Leviathan eats it. After he eats everybody he is at 117 Defense in cover.

*drops the mic*

EDIT: Add San Hill and Nute Gunray to the Sep squad, and they can get infinite Drones with enough Reserves rolls. Leviathan has infinite Defense.