RegisterDonateLogin

Provides a +4 bonus to Attack rolls.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Star Wars Miniatures: Campaign Edition 1.3 Options
kezzamachine
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 1:11:44 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Hello, my pretties.

Several years ago I stumbled on SWM:CE - Star Wars Miniatures: Campaign Edition - a RPG based on that awesome that is SWM. Using SWM:CE, you could create your own SWM characters and then insert them into your own campaigns and become a part of the game we so, so love. Holy moly - I devoured it and started looking at how I could use it. It was so well put together and presented really well. Fool (aka Steve) and his team had collated a top-shelf product and a whole community of SWM players rose up around this adition to our cool game.

Well, at the start of 2014, I revisited it after having been concentrating on other things and began to read through it all again. The initial rules set was put together in a comprehensive .pdf, but additional .pdf's had been made to bring in new abilities and rules additions, as well as playable campaigns and such. I looked at the 7-8 different .pdf's and thought about how I could collate it all for my own NZ audience and began splicing the .pdf's together. Well, one thing led to another and, being a designer that likes to play with print productions, I started playing around with things and... somewhere over the next 6-7 months, I completed revamped it. Not sure how that happened... but, if I was absent from the competitive game for a bit (which I was here), this is the reason!

I have taken the separate .pdf's and rules additions and collated them together into one comprehensive .pdf. I've worked out a few inconsistencies that I found (due to the various rules changes and such) and ironed them out. I've also added a whole section on incorporating Vset and custom abilities. I've tried to use Lackey's original layouts as best I can and copied heaps of Fool's original text, trying to change as little as possible.

For me, I have done this because I wanted to have something for our New Zealand group to be able to use in years to come. I wanted their to be another place we can go in the possibility that the competitive game may change in the future. SWM for live! which means, if Vsets ever finish (praying they never do), this will allow our playgroup to be creating adventures for ever. EVER!

Anyhoo, it is now ready for general consumption. This tasty 48MB, 224-page .pdf is the full compilation of SWM:CE. I hope this is useful to y'all and that you enjoy it as much I as I did putting it together. And, special thanks to TINT, who is just awesome!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/szajgrebyakbtcv/SWM.CE.pdf?dl=0

Mauri ora, mauri mate!
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 1:29:36 PM
Groups: Member

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks mate!
obiwan1knight
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 2:27:24 PM

Awesomeness. Plain awesomeness.
jak
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 5:52:06 PM

just checked it out.....
me likey!!BlooMilk
I've been thinking for years of away to make SWM into a RPG.
now the work is already done
nice jobThumpUp
SignerJ
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 6:38:39 PM

This is awesome. Thank you!!
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 9:05:17 PM

I'm playing this with my kids right now (their characters are now level 8), and they're LOVING it!

Part of the fun is making obscenely powerful characters with combinations that are just plain sick. My 9 year old has a jedi with Charging Assault +10, Speed 8, Momentum, Twin Attack, and Rolling Cleave. He's also got Sith Hunter (because we're playing in a SWTOR setting, so Sith are 90% of the enemies), and so he's usually doing 90dmg on the charge and then another 80 on the rolling cleave. He also has LS Assault, for those times when there's a really beefy enemy up in his face. So if something seems a bit overpowered, just roll with it...it's part of the fun. :)
AxiosXiphos
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 6:45:54 AM

Made an entire account just to say well done!! Looks like a great piece of work and myself and friends will try this out shortly! Keep up the good work! I'm hoping for more of this in the near future ;)
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:36:01 AM

So... I like the leveling up. Plenty of details about that. But how does the game actually work? I guess it's pretty straightforward if it's just GM and one player. It's like a normal scenario that the GM creates and he can throw in any extra twists he wants. But what happens when there are multiple players? Is it a 2-sided skirmish still or is it multiple players? Who controls the NPCs on the players' side? If the players are all on one team, who decides what order the characters activate? Maybe I missed it, but is there a list of non-combat actions that players can take during a skirmish, or is that all up to the GM on the fly? Or just limited to the feats on their card?
obiwan1knight
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:09:56 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
So... I like the leveling up. Plenty of details about that. But how does the game actually work? I guess it's pretty straightforward if it's just GM and one player. It's like a normal scenario that the GM creates and he can throw in any extra twists he wants. But what happens when there are multiple players? Is it a 2-sided skirmish still or is it multiple players? Who controls the NPCs on the players' side? If the players are all on one team, who decides what order the characters activate? Maybe I missed it, but is there a list of non-combat actions that players can take during a skirmish, or is that all up to the GM on the fly? Or just limited to the feats on their card?

The combat and leveling up are the really formal parts. All players roll for personal initiative, and they go in order from highest to lowest. Or, the player with the highest initiative chooses which player goes first and then it goes clockwise. (This is how our group does it.) There is also a team initiative which one person rolls against the GM to determine whether the GM or the players go first. When there is no combat, there can be a variety of things to do (usually story stuff or exploring) Our GM Gungan Batman Clone sometimes made times when the main objective is not clear, and we need to explore. There are usually shops where you can by droids, parts (to craft stuff), different materials to craft armor, and even clothes. (One part of our campaign we needed to disguise our protocol droid). MAny times there are Pazaak players in cantinas who you can gamble with on your turn. Just by exploring different side quests can appear.

I don't think this exactly answered your question, but maybe it gives you an idea of what stuff can be included in a campaign scenario.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:36:37 AM

Partially. I was just asking about combat. Is what you described (personal initiative) in the book somewhere? I didn't see it. Is combat just like SWM or are there extra things you can do? Obviously the GM decides if you get to do something, but is there a list of actions you can do in the middle of a skirmish other than normal attacks and the feats on the card?
DonStamos
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 9:14:35 AM

I gave this a look and I have to say, I love it. Great job, Kezzamachine!
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 9:45:00 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Partially. I was just asking about combat. Is what you described (personal initiative) in the book somewhere? I didn't see it. Is combat just like SWM or are there extra things you can do? Obviously the GM decides if you get to do something, but is there a list of actions you can do in the middle of a skirmish other than normal attacks and the feats on the card?
I was one of the original developers of this game, and so I have it on good authority that when you get into combat, it is entirely like SWM. The only difference is that the player characters' abilities change from mission to mission, that's all. The GM might set up some minor objectives, such as "The heroes need to destroy this computer terminal (15 Def, 80hp, Damage Reduction 10) in order to win" or something like that. But movement, LOS, Override, attacking, damage, etc are all the same as regular SWM. Does that answer your question?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 10:55:50 AM

That answers it for a 2-player game (GM/one player).

How does it work for multi-player? I'm not sure I followed all of what obiwan1knight described. How does it work when you have team init versus the GM being separate from personal init? Or is that even part of the standard rules? How do you decide who controls the NPCs that are on the heroes' side? Do all the players just have to jointly agree when to activate them and what they will do or are they somehow divided among the players to control them? Or does the GM play the NPCs on both sides in combat?
jak
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:16:13 PM

I'm sure what ever the play group decides will work.
RPG's are more flexible when it comes to rules
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:27:45 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
That answers it for a 2-player game (GM/one player).

How does it work for multi-player? I'm not sure I followed all of what obiwan1knight described. How does it work when you have team init versus the GM being separate from personal init? Or is that even part of the standard rules? How do you decide who controls the NPCs that are on the heroes' side? Do all the players just have to jointly agree when to activate them and what they will do or are they somehow divided among the players to control them? Or does the GM play the NPCs on both sides in combat?
What you need to realize is that once you get into combat, it's a regular 1-vs-1 SWM skirmish game. Two sides...both sides roll initiative. Both sides take turns activating figures until all figures have activated, and then you roll init for a new round. Whether you have several players or one player on the hero team makes no difference...just one member of the team gets to make an initiative roll.

I let my kids take turns rolling initiative on consecutive rounds, and then on the "hero turn" they decide among themselves which character will activate at that time. Two of my kids will activate their characters, then I'll activate 2 characters, and then the other 2 kids will activate their characters. Then I'll finish by activating the rest of my characters, then we'll roll init again. Rinse and repeat.
kezzamachine
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 2:50:44 PM

I know that there were a couple of Campaigns that were made - if anyone has them, they would help!
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:42:03 PM

So awesome! Downloaded and Canada thanks you
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:48:48 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
on the "hero turn" they decide among themselves which character will activate

Thanks - this is the part that was missing. What are your kids' ages?
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:06:06 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
on the "hero turn" they decide among themselves which character will activate

Thanks - this is the part that was missing. What are your kids' ages?

My 5-year-old sometimes doesn't have the attention span to play a whole mission though. But she does enjoy it.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:08:58 PM

Nice - sounds fun. At 2, 4, and 6 I don't think mine are quite ready for it... :-)