RegisterDonateLogin

Apply directly to the forehead.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Palpatine has a first name! Options
pegolego
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:33:57 AM
Groups: Member

POTENTIAL SPOILER FROM 'Tarkin' BELOW (not that it's out yet, so I haven't read it or anything; it's just some changes to 'canon' that apparently will occur in that novel that have been released).

According to Wikipedia, under the 'canon' banner (rather than the new 'Legends' banner), there has been a change to Palpatine's page: Mainly, that he is now named 'Sheev'. Apparently, this development happens in 'Tarkin' (the upcoming Luceno novel), which already seems to have some things contradicting what Luceno wrote in 'Plagueis' (such as Sate Pestage's roles and, of course, Palpatine having a first name all of a sudden...).

Interesting.
jak
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 10:48:58 AM

so does my boloneyLOL
pegolego
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 10:59:35 AM

lol
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:01:44 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

pegolego wrote:
POTENTIAL SPOILER FROM 'Tarkin' BELOW (not that it's out yet, so I haven't read it or anything; it's just some changes to 'canon' that apparently will occur in that novel that have been released).

According to Wikipedia, under the 'canon' banner (rather than the new 'Legends' banner), there has been a change to Palpatine's page: Mainly, that he is now named 'Sheev'. Apparently, this development happens in 'Tarkin' (the upcoming Luceno novel), which already seems to have some things contradicting what Luceno wrote in 'Plagueis' (such as Sate Pestage's roles and, of course, Palpatine having a first name all of a sudden...).

Interesting.

Pretty sure he always had one, even according to the Plagueis novel. He just elected to never use it - and possibly even have it legally changed to just Palpatine.
pegolego
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:15:25 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
pegolego wrote:

Interesting.

Pretty sure he always had one, even according to the Plagueis novel. He just elected to never use it - and possibly even have it legally changed to just Palpatine.

Yeah, he just never used it and according to Plagueis had pretty much disowned it I thought, so I don't know why with the release of Tarkin it would start being used, and be referenced as having done so before/having people refer to him with it all of a sudden.

It just seems kinda strange, but I suppose it's nice to finally have the name revealed lol
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:24:19 AM

Do people refer to him by that name in the book? I don't see anything on Wookieepedia that indicates that.
pegolego
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:29:08 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Do people refer to him by that name in the book? I don't see anything on Wookieepedia that indicates that.

Interesting question, the book isn't out yet, so perhaps not (in which case it would make more sense).
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:33:07 AM

pegolego wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

Interesting question, the book isn't out yet, so perhaps not (in which case it would make more sense).

They probably just found his birth certificate and it says Sheev. And he was born in Hawaii.
pegolego
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:39:10 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
pegolego wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

They probably just found his birth certificate and it says Sheev. And he was born in Hawaii.

Seems legit...
Lily_Wan
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 12:08:20 PM

A quote from Luceno on writing Tarkin:

“I worry about alienating the fans and the readers who have been with this franchise for however long it’s been, because it’s a large group and they’re very loyal. I chose not to really reference too much EU material only because of the setting of the story, but it was still there. It was still there to pick and choose from. I think going forward what may happen is you may see writers writing around some of that older material that’s now classified as Legends – writing around it rather than trying to overwrite it.”

FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 12:13:40 PM

Lily_Wan wrote:

“I worry about alienating the fans and the readers who have been with this franchise for however long it’s been, because it’s a large group and they’re very loyal. I chose not to really reference too much EU material only because of the setting of the story, but it was still there. It was still there to pick and choose from. I think going forward what may happen is you may see writers writing around some of that older material that’s now classified as Legends – writing around it rather than trying to overwrite it.”

Why not just incorporate it? As soon as things are confirmed as having happened in a new canon book, it's canon again. Voila.
trappedslider
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 5:06:34 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Lily_Wan wrote:

Why not just incorporate it? As soon as things are confirmed as having happened in a new canon book, it's canon again. Voila.

cuz it might get in the way of the movies?
SignerJ
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 5:58:08 PM

Lily_Wan wrote:

I think he's overestimating how much some writers care.
BFMV123
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 5:07:04 PM

To me its like Darth Bane his name was Dessel but then became Bane and never went back to his actual name maybe Palps did the same thing?