RegisterDonateLogin

Senses much fear in you.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Other Board Games Options
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 2:26:21 PM
Groups: Member

What other board games do you guys enjoy. My wife won't play Minis with me, as she gets overwhelmed by the number of different pieces/squads around, but she does enjoy other games. These are some of our favourites (although we don't have that many games, and some of you are probably way more hardcore than me and will find my choices facile :).

Forbidden Desert - my wife loves this, it's simple enough that our 3 year old daughter can pretty much play it, but deep enough that it's legitimately satisfying to win on 4 player Legendary mode (you have to be lucky and play well to complete Legendary in my experience).

Dominion - I only have the base and three of the expansions (Seaside, Prosperity, Hinterlands), but it's probably my favourite game. I like the masses of different permutations for card combinations, and it's really well balanced. Only downside is the setup time and shuffling.

7 Wonders - I just got this as a gift recently, and it's pretty fun. I've only got to play it 2 players,

Ticket to Ride - we've had the Europe base game for years, but recently got the India/Swiss expansion. I really like making loops in the India game.

Citadels - doesn't really work as a 2 player game, but it's really fun with bigger groups.

Settlers of Catan - Cities and Knights is really fun, but at the same time, very unbalanced. If you get a significant card early - especially Inventor - it can throw the whole balance of the game, and often the game's decided well before the end. I like it enough to play it, but it frustrates me like none of the above games ever do.
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 3:08:01 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

My fiancé won't really play much in the way of minis or CCGs with me, but I got her into board games after finally convincing her to try them because I knew she'd like them. I was right, so now my big stack of games don't got to waste and is only getting bigger.

Of the games you listed Hutts, I'm a big fan of 7 Wonders, my buddy got that not long ago and I always enjoy playing it. Ticket to Ride is great, I also have Europe and prefer that one to America, the India expansion looked really cool I'll have to consider that. And we have Star Trek Catan, and its pretty much just Catan with a few new bits, but still fun.

Lets see other things I've been enjoying lately

Star Realms: Deckbuilding/Combat game with vaguely Star Trek/Warsy factions and is very simple and fun. I've mostly played with 2 players but we did our first 4 player game the other day...and its...different. Not sure how I feel about it.

Coup: I'm TERRIBLE at lying, and such I'm awful at bluffing games like Coup and The Resistance. However, that also makes them extremely fun/funny to play. Also in Coup you have the option to not lie which is very very helpful. Plus one of the pieces of art looks exactly like my friend. Its really weird/cool.

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings: Another deckbuilding game, that has just enough twists and flavor that I enjoy it. Its a few years old, but I had never heard of it until I picked it up for a friend's birthday. We all had a blast with it, but its mostly a good excuse to make Legolas is pretty and no one understands him jokes and play a solid deckbuilding game if you are into that sort of thing.

Pandemic: Pandemic is the king cooperative game in our circle, I got one of the expansions and it adds so many cool roles, but just the base game is about perfect. Fun with any number of players.

Lords of Waterdeep: I got a little sick of this one because we played it so much (especially after DnD when some party members went home) but its still popular amongst my group and its fun.

Love Letter/Lost Legacy: I'm a big fan of little games and this one is kind of perfect. Lost Legacy is slightly more intense Space Love Letter.

I feel like there are more that I'm missing, so I'm sure I'll have stuff to add later, but that is what is jumping out at me right now.
darthwhovian
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 3:17:04 PM

Have you tried Munchkin? Its a simple yet fun game, with alot of expansions. You only need 1 to play. It worked for me to introduce my wife to gaming.
theultrastar
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 3:36:03 PM

I just picked up the Firefly game, it's pretty amazing. Anyone that is a fan of the show, I highly recommend the game. It also has 3 or 4 expansions for the game. Best gaming purchase in a long time.
darthwhovian
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 3:52:43 PM

I forgot the Munchkin game is just cards, however there is a board game version called Munchkin Quest. Although I have not played, though it looks straight forward!
darthwhovian
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 3:53:36 PM

Another simple yet fun boatd game is Survive!.
Echo24
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 7:28:50 PM

I'm a pretty avid board gamer outside of miniatures games. You actually named some of my favorites already; Ticket to Ride is fun, and one my wife really enjoys also. 7 Wonders is quite good, although I only got a chance to play it within the past year or so. Citadels is absolutely fantastic! Easily one of my favorite multiplayer games. One variant I've tried once is "speed Citadels", where each player has 5 seconds to make any decision (their turn or what role to pick). It was incredibly stressful, but tons of fun if that's your kind of thing. Bruno Faidutti is one of the best game designers around and writes at length about it, if you're interested in board game design you should check out his website.

I love that you mentioned Dominion, it's probably my favorite game of all time. I've played a lot in person, and over 2,000 games of it online. I think it's the most well designed game out there, and such a great example of game design. It has so many permutations and can show off so many different kinds of gameplay it's amazing. A lot of people get into it just enough to figure out the "Big Money" strategy (buy nothing if you have $0-$2, buy a Silver if you have $3-$5, but a Gold if you have $6-$7, buy a Province if you have $8+) and think that that beats everything, but it really only beats players who way overbuy terminal actions (Action cards without giving +Actions). Once you get past that and learn how to consistently beat Big Money, the game broadens incredibly, and is amazingly deep. I could go on and on about it. Every gamer needs to play at least some Dominion. Donald X Vaccarino is my favorite game designer, and he has been a massive influence on how I design games (both SWM and the half dozen or so games I've designed to various stages of concept/prototype. I swear in going to get one published eventually!).

Anyway, other favorite games of mine:

Eclipse and Twilight Imperium: two games of similar theme/type, but really pretty different in execution. Both are really fantastic in their own ways. Eclipse is a relatively short 4X with a super cool research mechanic and a feeling of exploration; Twilight Imperium is an epic (and epicly long!) war game filled with politics and economics. If you're into 4X games, play these!

Kingdom Builder: a kind of abstract game, and another one by Donald Vaccarino. It's a really elegant unit-placement game that has a lot of different permutations, like Dominion.

King of Tokyo: Very simple but very fun. This is one that almost every time I teach it to someone, they immediately say "let's play it again!". I just played King of New York for the first time a few days ago, and it adds a lot of complexity, but also depth. It's a better game for experienced gamers I think, but King of Tokyo can be played by anybody.

Battlestar Galactica: THE bluffing/double agent game! I loved the BSG remake show, so the theme for this is great, but the gameplay alone would still make this game stand apart. Now, it can breed some yelling and anger, because some people at the table WILL be lying to your face, but just know that going in and don't play with anyone who takes it too seriously. Some of my very favorite gaming moments have been playing this game. Play it!
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 7:45:59 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Echo24 wrote:
Eclipse and Twilight Imperium: two games of similar theme/type, but really pretty different in execution. Both are really fantastic in their own ways. Eclipse is a relatively short 4X with a super cool research mechanic and a feeling of exploration; Twilight Imperium is an epic (and epicly long!) war game filled with politics and economics. If you're into 4X games, play these!

I want to play Twilight Imperium so bad, but the group who would be most interested in it is my DnD group...and if we have 8 hours together to play something, its going to be DnD. I'll get people to play it some day.
Echo24
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 8:04:18 PM

AndyHatton wrote:
Echo24 wrote:

I want to play Twilight Imperium so bad, but the group who would be most interested in it is my DnD group...and if we have 8 hours together to play something, its going to be DnD. I'll get people to play it some day.

Yeah, that's definitely the biggest problem with TI. You can play with fewer people and get the time down a little; my first time ever playing it was a 3 player game and it took about 4 hours, and most recently I played a 4 player game where I was the only person to have ever played it before and it took about 6 hours. If everybody reads the rulebook beforehand that cuts the time down pretty dramatically. Some people also play with "simulated" moves for the first round or two, which basically involves starting the game with all the players advanced a little; they've taken nearby planets, gotten some tech, etc. I've never done it, and hojesy it sounds a little less fun because those first few rounds can actually be significant, but it does cut the time down a lot and gets you right into the meat of the game.
donnyrides
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 8:50:40 PM

Now we are more in my realm.

I suggest a really fun 2P game called Memoir44.
It has pieces like minis, but is crazy simple to learn. It takes you through an entire campaign of WWII battles and you play each battle from the allied side and the German side. It's about dice rolls and cards but very simple to learn.

Also a lighter game that can be played with 2 players is Small World.
Really fun and plays fast. It is a battle game where you get to mix and match all kinds of races with powers in an attempt to score the most VP by the end of 10 rounds. This is a very short explanation of course :)

and a personal favorite "gateway game" for getting wives/GFs involved in gaming is The Boss
It is a card game where the object is to use deductive reasoning to figure out what your opponent(s) has in their hand to give you the edge while bidding for points.

Then my last suggestion but doesn't play well for 2P is my personal favorite board game. Good old Puerto Rico.
It is a game that could be as simple as producing goods to ship for points or as complicated as making every choice to best help you while hurting your opponents(s).

Again these are all VERY short quick explanations of the games. I hope the links will help you figure out if you thing the games are for you or not.

Enjoy

** Echo, have you played Kemet or A game of thrones? They are both really great games. both battle games Kemet takes 90 minutes, A game of thrones takes about 3 hours but is a great multiplayer game.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 9:23:35 PM

donnyrides wrote:
Then my last suggestion but doesn't play well for 2P is my personal favorite board game. Good old Puerto Rico.
It is a game that could be as simple as producing goods to ship for points or as complicated as making every choice to best help you while hurting your opponents(s).

I have Puerto Rico and like it a lot, just haven't played it for a while.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 11:30:31 PM

Oh wow! Wow-wee-wow-wha!
Ah, in terms of boardgames I usually play... lets see

1. Settlers of Catan (usually Trek), dang that robber!
2. SWMinis/SW40k in 40mins - time is a factor and getting people to assemble for longer than 1 hr can be hard to accomplish and
have everyone's days run smoothly. 40mins is perfect for a lunchbreak or airport game.
2.1 STAW - Star Trek Attack Wing is a lot of fun, especially with the GOBS rules system variant.
3. SWTCG or ST:TCG (decipher) - much more fun than Magic the Moneypit.
4. Agricola - its a nice boardgame
5. Risk/Monopoly/Game of Life --- these are always a 1-2hr commitment, but people often roleplay and adopt voices, usually of former or current politicians or 'celebrities'. Its fun!
6. Dust Tactics - it can be hard to find a game of that, loads of fun and quite strategic,
7. Tannhauser - the targetting system is great, as is the item system.
8. Skyscrapers the boardgame
9. Pictionary/Cluedo - this makes the top ten simply from the fun that people make happen!
10. Pirates of the Spanish Maine

GOBS gets a doubly distinguished honor - that free system v2.0 is awesome for all kinds of games and very fair.
Doom, Battlestar Galactica, WingCommander The Boardgame,
Survive, When Mars Attacks, Go!, Fallout RPG, Mechwarrior, and good ol Chess get honorable mentions.
Infinity and Heroclix also get an honorable mention.
I wasn't terribly impressed by Heroscape or any of the 15mm/5mm scale wargames out there.
Less honorable mentions go for Malifaux, Scrabble and Warhammer Cashcow 40K. Arcane Legions can be fun.

I find that female friends prefer more story-based games and strategy, D&D or SWRPG or the MARVEL RPG,
and it helps if they have a good selection of player tokens to choose from (or BYO). It depends on the group setting, nobody seems to enjoy mindless unnecessary micromanagement.
I've found the more fun comes from Battlestar Galactica (YOURE A RED CYLON!) or from Catan (Suzie's a Sheep Baron
Also, that harder to find card game which people had to make the most creative headlines... I forget the exact name, but that is a really inclusive group game...

MAN BITES DOG! That is really fun, and can be used to segue into a murder mystery whodunnit scenario.
Echo24
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 6:51:21 AM

donnyrides wrote:
** Echo, have you played Kemet or A game of thrones? They are both really great games. both battle games Kemet takes 90 minutes, A game of thrones takes about 3 hours but is a great multiplayer game.

I have not; I've heard a lot about A Game of Thrones, but I don't know anyone who owns it, and I have trouble getting big game nights set up recently so most of my gaming purchases have been things that can play in an hour or less.

Both games are on the top 100 games on BGG, though, and my goal is to play all 100 of them, so I'm sure I'll get to both eventually. I'll take a closer look with your suggestion, though.
jak
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:49:35 AM

Some games my wife will play:

blokus
carcasonne
bannanagrams
bohnanza
hey,that's my fish

more if I remember.......
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:59:12 AM

How could I forget about Carcasonne?? That is a really fun 2P game but you have to really pay attention to what is legal and what isn't. I like it best on Xbox so I can't mess up the worker placements or when the table gets bumped and a meeple just slightly slides off a road and onto a farm.
Echo24
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:42:05 AM

jak wrote:

bohnanza

I LOVE Bohnanza. It's not nearly as well known as it should be. It's a dead simple negotiation game that just lets the meta-game of negotiation work without getting in the way. It does require the right group of people to play with, though.
jak
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 12:02:22 PM

anyone else into D&D Attack Wing?
Amadeus
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:11:52 PM

Just went to a Games Night with Profs on campus, I played this awesome game called Quantum. It was a lot of fun! There were 3 of us playing, but it supports 2-5 I believe.

It plays very different than any other board game I've played before, and was actually really easy to pick up. Would recommend.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/143519/quantum

jak
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:37:58 AM

Echo24 wrote:
jak wrote:

bohnanza

I LOVE Bohnanza. It's not nearly as well known as it should be. It's a dead simple negotiation game that just lets the meta-game of negotiation work without getting in the way. It does require the right group of people to play with, though.

best offer not taken: "I'll give you a black bean, if you shut the hell up, right now!"Laugh