RegisterDonateLogin

As wise as Master Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

FrostyCon 2015 - Official Announcement Options
DARPH NADER
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 9:45:12 AM
Groups: Member

Yet again ladies and gentlemen, the SWM Boxing Day tradition is here again to announce details for the fourth annual FrostyCon!!!

When: February 6th-8th, 2015
Where: Lockport, NY

The Events....

Feb 6th: Return of the Friday Night Follies @ Chez Nader, (8pm-???)

King/Queen of the Ring (using a variant of the NZ Battle Royale rulz)

200 pts constructed, faction rules apply for your best four character team.

Once again up for grabs will be the ray shielded trophy ring created for FC 2013 by Pastor Budwine. Rumor has it that Galactic Funk will be returning to defend his 2014 crown, if he is unable to attend the trophy will be on hand to be awarded to the deserving winner.

Feb 7th: Face Your Destiny @ Pro Level Gaming (12pm-7pm)

200 point constructed – All Restricted Maps will be legal

All v-sets through Warfare & Subterfuge* (provided the cards/pdf's are available b4 the event) are valid with standard floor rules in effect at the time of the event.

I will be unveiling the new 200 point “Face Your Destiny” format to liven things up around SWM play. Competitors will submit their 200 pt competitive list to me prior to the event for approval; after which each piece including reinforcement & reserve options will have their base marked with the player’s name on it.

Once all squads have been reviewed and tagged a single piece will go into a basket for random selection from the field and that shall be your match play destiny for that particular round. Players will be given ample time (15m) to review their squad & the map chosen; time will not be an issue as we can shift back to my house if we run short of time at PLG.

We will follow this format for the entirety of the event. It is entirely possible that a play could select his or her build, if that be their destiny.

Feb 8th: Century Challenge @ Pro Level Gaming (12pm-4pm)

100 Point Constructed – All “Restricted” maps will be legal

All v-sets through Warfare & Subterfuge* (provided the cards/pdf's are available b4 the event) are valid with standard floor rules in effect at the time of the event.

As per usual custom my home will be open to those stalwart travelers willing to brave the WNY permafrost in February. Please contact me via PM, as space disappears quickly.

Hope to see all y’all back in 2015!

More details to follow & happy new year! BlooMilk

Nader
jak
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 11:22:08 AM

Ger-Bear- you have both the 6th-8th, AND 20th-22th listed.

is there 2 Frosy's this year?ThumbsUp (closes eye to pray)
DARPH NADER
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 12:09:29 PM

jak wrote:
Ger-Bear- you have both the 6th-8th, AND 20th-22th listed.

is there 2 Frosy's this year?ThumbsUp (closes eye to pray)

Dates fixed, thanks for the catch jak.
jak
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2014 8:18:46 AM

so. we'll most likely play some one else's squad?

mmm......not sure about that 'lil twistUnsure
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2014 4:45:48 AM

jak wrote:
so. we'll most likely play some one else's squad?

mmm......not sure about that 'lil twistUnsure

Yes, the odds would not favor you drawing your own build.

Its not a "lil twist," this format is meant to test a player's ability to adapt to what fate befalls them. There hasn't been a meaningful attempt at introducing a new format to the stale air surrounding SWM in recent memory. With the advent of FFG's annexation of SW gaming formats, any and all attempts to defib this game should be considered IMO. Hell, I even saw the new Jester006 incarnation over on FFG in the IA forums and Ian was our WC in 2011.

With no disrespect intended and as you yourself have noted jak; the game is in decline and are frustrated at the lack of playing time. Well I believe this new format addresses both playtime and squad variety. While at the same time provides a challenging obstacle course to navigate.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2014 5:55:34 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I think it sounds like a really interesting twist. Really hope to be able to make it BigGrin
DARPH NADER
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 9:00:32 AM

Laura, hopefully the stars will align and we'll see you and Jason in Feb. I'm excited about this format twist!
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 3:56:28 PM

DARPH NADER wrote:
Laura, hopefully the stars will align and we'll see you and Jason in Feb. I'm excited about this format twist!

I hope so, Gerry. Trying to make it happen ThumpUp
Darth_Jim
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2015 11:00:40 AM

Devil's advocate question: What is to stop someone from submitting either a subpar squad or an outright 'utinni' class squad?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2015 11:36:31 AM

Quote:
I will be unveiling the new 200 point “Face Your Destiny” format to liven things up around SWM play. Competitors will submit their 200 pt competitive list to me prior to the event for approval; after which each piece including reinforcement & reserve options will have their base marked with the player’s name on it.

NADER approved.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2015 2:31:01 PM

Darth_Jim wrote:
Devil's advocate question: What is to stop someone from submitting either a subpar squad or an outright 'utinni' class squad?

Given the quality of individuals in our dwindling community, my QC should be a mere formality. I seriously doubt someone would be so crass as to ruin their rep with a bush maneuver such as submitting a bunko squad.
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2015 2:33:18 PM

I assumed that Gerry would have a prize for the squad that did the best as well as the player to prevent such shenanigans.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2015 2:41:49 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
I assumed that Gerry would have a prize for the squad that did the best as well as the player to prevent such shenanigans.

Yet another example of Urb using the Force to see future events. If the event goes off as planned the winner and the top winning build will receive prizes.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2015 8:03:05 PM

urbanjedi wrote:

Jason beat me to it. My purpose for bringing this up was to hopefully discourage such thoughts. Still, there is a squad I've been working on that has certain synergies that require some practiced timing to pull off. Sadly, bringing such a squad to this format would not likely meet with much success.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, January 2, 2015 9:03:52 AM

Sign me up! I'll be there for Friday and Saturday; still not sure about Sunday, as 100pts doesn't interest me all that much. I'll decide about that when I'm there.

Please reserve a luxury suite (or the couch) for me at ChezNader. That place is a 5-Star hotel, baby!
DARPH NADER
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 4:22:50 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
Sign me up! I'll be there for Friday and Saturday; still not sure about Sunday, as 100pts doesn't interest me all that much. I'll decide about that when I'm there.

Please reserve a luxury suite (or the couch) for me at ChezNader. That place is a 5-Star hotel, baby!

From the Mgmt, your reservation request has been received and space is booked.

I'm not immovable on the Sunday event format, so I'll leave it up to the players to decide which format they prefer. Another option would be to have you run an IA event.

thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 4:39:25 PM

DARPH NADER wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

Thank you.

DARPH NADER wrote:
I'm not immovable on the Sunday event format, so I'll leave it up to the players to decide which format they prefer. Another option would be to have you run an IA event.
I'd be happy to run IA if you guys want. Either skirmish (if enough players have the game) or campaign (for myself and up to 4 Rebel players).

If we're going for a different format than 100pts, I guess we need to discuss that here so that people can bring the appropriate minis/cards, right? In that case, here are my suggestions:
--500pt Epic. Gerry sets the parameters (same as last year, same as GenCon 2014, etc)
--300pts, 20 activation cap
--Tile Wars
--X-Wing 100pts

DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, January 4, 2015 7:23:50 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
DARPH NADER wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

Thank you.

DARPH NADER wrote:
I'd be happy to run IA if you guys want. Either skirmish (if enough players have the game) or campaign (for myself and up to 4 Rebel players).

If we're going for a different format than 100pts, I guess we need to discuss that here so that people can bring the appropriate minis/cards, right? In that case, here are my suggestions:
--500pt Epic. Gerry sets the parameters (same as last year, same as GenCon 2014, etc)
--300pts, 20 activation cap
--Tile Wars
--X-Wing 100pts

I'm open to any of these options but I like the idea of the "Player's Choice" option on Sunday, as it will draw out those who are planning on attending.

To that end, if it appears that we're struggling with attendance; I may very well have to weigh the option of not holding FC this year.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, January 4, 2015 8:10:41 AM

Another option would be to hold the WNY Regional on Sunday.
juice man
Posted: Sunday, January 4, 2015 8:59:02 AM

How many so far? Jack and I are discussing it. (as are myself and my wife) (Looks good so far)