RegisterDonateLogin

Just made a deal that'll keep the Empire out of here forever.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Warfare and Subterfuge PDF Options
Echo24
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 7:19:13 AM
Groups: Member

The PDF got finished last night and it's now been uploaded to Dropbox! Find it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mx2mbazrh5kmgje/W%26S.pdf?dl=0

On behalf of the design team, we hope you enjoy playing with it. We got the chance to explore the design space with some new mechanics (Negotiation is a big one), got to do some really fun stuff (One-Arm!), and got to kick off a whole new subfaction (Killiks!). Looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 7:27:25 AM

Thanks Echo for posting this, but could we get another link to the pdf to download it other than Dropbox? I don't have an account there (maybe others don't to) so when i click on the link i get nothing. If not I can just wait to see the cards in person.Thanks!
Echo24
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 7:38:33 AM

Sorry, you don't need a Dropbox account, I just posted the wrong link. Updated the first post, that one should work.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 8:42:28 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Most looking forward to putting on the table: Kerra Holt, Gold Squadron Ace, Sifo-Dyas, Imperial Governor.

And fun pieces that I want to play but probably won't be regulars for me: Clawdite Infiltrator, Ewok with Catapult, Nuvo Vindi.

New reinforcement options: Gormak Bomb Disposal Expert, Killik Worker, Teebo Ewok Sentry. I think they'll all be useful.

And I want to turn Obi-Wan to the dark side. Bring him into a Sith squad just because I can.
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 9:42:32 AM

Pieces I'm looking forward to trying: Sifo-Dyas, Duchess Satine + Obi-Wan, Rayan Thul, Han Solo CL, Old Ben, Roan Lands, Teebo

One-Arm is awesome. If only I had ANY Wampas.

FlyingArrow wrote:

And I want to turn Obi-Wan to the dark side. Bring him into a Sith squad just because I can.

And I'd like to see you do that! that squad might be really fun.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 9:44:52 AM

I was wondering what the usefulness of rerolling succesful saves is for the Imperial Govenor's CE is. Why would you risk failing a already successful save?
Echo24
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 9:47:03 AM

Mando wrote:
I was wondering what the usefulness of rerolling succesful saves is for the Imperial Govenor's CE is. Why would you risk failing a already successful save?

Primarily for Dominate. If you use Dominate on your own character, you want to fail the save.

It's also useful if you want to play characters with Cortosis Gauntlet and things like that.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 9:52:45 AM

Echo24 wrote:
Mando wrote:

Primarily for Dominate. If you use Dominate on your own character, you want to fail the save.

It's also useful if you want to play characters with Cortosis Gauntlet and things like that.

Ok, that makes sense. Cool piece!
Mando
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 10:05:46 AM

This set is awesome! I just wanted to say that. The designers did a heck of a job addressing swarms and activation control in this set, which are 2 major NPE's in the current meta.

Some favorites of mine that I am looking forward to the most are:

Obi-Wan Kenobi, Honorary Mandalorian and Duchess Satine Kryze. These 2 will be inseperable, and will make for some excellent squads. I loved watching them in the show whenever they were on screen together! So glad that we have a great representation of their characters from the Mandalorian story arcs. Satine's negotiation is really powerful and so is Pacifism, and Obi-Wan is just a great tank that protects her!

The Yun-Ne'shel Priest is really powerful, cause you can get your vong with evade to succeed on saves of 7! Wow! Really a great piece for a faction that suffers against ranged squads. Also, the VCA saves are going to be happening a lot more to, so it makes the faction a lot more tankier. This is a power piece for the faction for sure!
juice man
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 10:59:11 AM

Corporate Alliance Energy Pummel with Sev'rance Tann.
kezzamachine
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 11:14:33 AM

I know I say this every set, but THIS is my favourite set.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 11:27:22 AM

I'm especially happy to see all the "minor scissors" options. I wanted those sorts of options, and the designers sure delivered. Before this set, there was Momaw Nadon, Anakin Skywalker, and that was about it. Everything else to attack a swarm took up a HUGE chunk of your squad. Lancer + Sidious, Durge on Lancer, Yobuck, Master Thon, Furious Assaulting Cad Bane. A bunch of that is in Seps, and many factions didn't really have anything.

In this set:

Nuvo Vindi (cost 12)
Kerra Holt (29)
Army of Light Jedi Lord (32)
Gold Squadron Ace (19)
Death Watch Berserker (12)
Echo24
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 11:46:15 AM

I'm going to make some comments on pieces/concepts that I think are particularly notable. This list is also obviously biased towards things I had a heavier hand in making, and I think every piece is interesting in its own ways, this is just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Army of Light Soldier: I hope we see Defensive Stance a lot more. It's a subtle but powerful counter to high-activations; you want to activate the Army of Light Soldier ASAP, so he gets the bonus and up to a nasty 27 Defense in cover. Likewise, you want to kill him ASAP, before he can be activated! If you spend the first few turns of a round spinning commanders and twiddling your thumbs, you're going to have a much harder time against characters with Defensive Stance.

Kerra Holt: Rolling Attacks is obviously another high-activation counter, and swarm-counter. It originated from FlyingArrow, so credit to him for the concept. It's also used on the Wraith Squadron Pilot in the form of Rolling Fire. Both abilities are swarm counters without being totally backbreaking to swarms like Yobuck or Lancer. I believe this is the kind of "scissors" abilities the game should have had from the start.

Welk, Night Herald: Him and Raynar lay the foundation for Killik support, while the 2 non-unique Killiks fill in the ranks. Giving Killik to Lomi Plo and Alema Rar also fleshes the subfaction out a little, and we were able to do that on one piece, which is nice.

Sifo-Dyas: I think Placed Order is going to be a really interesting ability. I like combatants that you want to die, because it lets you play aggressively with them and make interesting moves without feeling like you're getting too punished for it.

Corporate Alliance Energy Pummel: A couple people have been checking this piece out already. He's a monster, but keep in mind that he is on a huge base. If you haven't played huges often, that's a pretty nasty detriment. Passel Argente and Sev'rance Tann are good support for him, and he can be really tough to kill, but at 48 points you aren't getting much else in the squad if you want to buff him up. Likely won't be a competitive piece, but will be awesome if you can get it to work.

Gold Squadron Ace: Pinpoint Attacks is ANOTHER counter to swarms, as well as a counter to Cloaked/Super Stealth. He does 30 Damage when he's using Pinpoint Attacks. You know what is Cloaked that has 30 HP? Klatooinian Assassins.

Admiral Gar Stazi: I think his CE is one of the most interesting things in the set. It's meant to represent his action during the Battle of Caamas, when he ordered a fighting withdrawal instead of surrendering. Whether or not to even use the CE is an interesting choice, because of the threat of AoOs if your opponent set it up correctly. I love abilities that create interesting choices like that.

Han Solo Corellian Legend: It's hard to believe that before this there was only ONE New Republic Han. I decided that NR also needed a nice non-melee cannon, something they really didn't have. The Wedge stuff was originally just for flavor, but it got fleshed out and he was made to make Wedge a really competitive option again. Wedge was one of the first somewhat competitive pieces I got when I started playing the game again (back when he was somewhat competitive!), and he was the piece that got me really interested in New Republic originally, so he holds a special place in my mind. I'm very happy that we were able to make a piece to help him out.

Wraith Squadron Pilot: This piece was designed with the heavy input of our New Zealand players. They chose the piece and gave us a starting point, and we worked with them to come up with something that I think is really cool. As I said before, they're a swarm counter, but Charging Assault can also make them a single-target threat.

Clawdite Infiltrator: I always thought that using Cloaked to represent Zam Wessel's shapeshifting was a little lame, so we came up with something much more interesting. It also works fantastically with Agile.

Gormak Bomb Disposal Expert: We heard you guys didn't like Poggle or Klatooinian Assassins. Have fun.

One-Arm: Like I said before: Wampa swarm. It's awesome.

Death Watch Berserker: More scissors power! Indiscriminate will also be more valuable with some more Diplomats hanging around, and he can also Furious Assault up to a wall of Caamasi Nobles that are blocking a hallway and get rid of them.

Leia Organa Solo, Chief of State: This was actually the very first piece with Negotiation, and the basis of the Diplomacy subset. Weeks and I came up with the concept of Negotiation on the way home from a HeroClix tournament in Kentucky. A piece called Highfather had been released relatively recently, and his ability was that the highest cost piece on your squad and the highest point piece on your opponent's squad couldn't target characters with attacks. We thought it was an interesting mechanic, and tweaked it to work in our game. It took a lot of working to get the exact mechanical details how we wanted it, but I think what we settled on works well. You have to give up a follower (no commanders that aren't gonna fight anyway), it has to have a Damage value greater than 0 (no Lobot), it has to be unactivated (so you can't just use it on Mara Jade after she's done her thing), and the enemy you choose has to be 10 points cheaper than the ally you choose. Again, it's an ability that can create some really interesting decisions about whether or not you even want to use it.
juice man
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:39:08 PM

Corporate Alliance Energy Pummel is "only" 38 with Sev'rance Tann.BigGrin

Edit:
BANTHA POO DOO! Just noticed the Corporate Alliance Energy Pummel is MELEE!ThumbDown (guess with pummel in the name that makes sense)
Echo24
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:52:20 PM

Haha, yeah, that's a preeeety important part of it. Flapper
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:58:03 PM

Echo24 wrote:

Han Solo Corellian Legend: It's hard to believe that before this there was only ONE New Republic Han. I decided that NR also needed a nice non-melee cannon, something they really didn't have. The Wedge stuff was originally just for flavor, but it got fleshed out and he was made to make Wedge a really competitive option again. Wedge was one of the first somewhat competitive pieces I got when I started playing the game again (back when he was somewhat competitive!), and he was the piece that got me really interested in New Republic originally, so he holds a special place in my mind. I'm very happy that we were able to make a piece to help him out.

Exactly why I love the piece, Wedge based NR squads were so much of what I played when I first started, it'll be nice to have him around again. Love this piece
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:58:49 PM

Stuff I really like:
Ludo Kressh - Rolling Cleave for Rakghouls sounds really fun.

Gold Squadron Ace - fodder clearing is very good. I wonder if some rapport for non-unique Rebel pilots down the line would help them into real top tier.

Roan Lands - for 17 points, Ferus Olin gets a lot better as a secondary/tertiary attacker for Rebels, you don't need to drop 9 points on Dodonna, and he's a decent fodder shooter.

Captain Shevu - seems great for 30 points, good attacker, although he doesn't have anything really scary to give cannon shots to, and he's a little fragile.

Han Solo Corellian Legend - big shooter for New Republic.

Tesar Sebatyne - 80 damage on the move against living enemies makes him viable imo.

Gormak Bomb Disposal Expert - I think I'd take Momaw against 10 hit point guys (nom bombs and drones) most of the time, but will be helpful against Klats.

Mando Obi-Wan - Soresu, good attacker with protective. Not sure if it'll open up new builds for Mandos or not.

Peace Brigade Commander - Nom bombs that can shoot sounds good. Tough Blaster Upgrade sounds good.

Tsavong Lah - solid cheap beat, and Domain Lah Warriors get a lot more viable with cheap synergy provider.

Yun Ne'Shel Priest - +4 to save rolls sounds very helpful for some builds.
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:10:51 PM

TheHutts wrote:

Captain Shevu - seems great for 30 points, good attacker, although he doesn't have anything really scary to give cannon shots to, and he's a little fragile.

Giving an attack to Original Jacen with a wounded Leia for 40 damage isn't too shabby, but its not as scary as a few other Cannons. (which is why ignoring cover is awfully nice, gives a GA Special Guard the chance to hit someone important if not for a lot of damage)

I'm trying to think if anything in Sith with Darth Caedus makes for better cannon shots.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:13:09 PM

Thanks for posting this. I'll be useful for those of us at FrostyCon and at the WNY Regional on February 7. Cheers!
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:15:53 PM

I don't play Vong a lot (or ever really) but I do like Tsavong Lah a lot and Dooje Brolo is really interesting giving out Amphistaff which lets one of your big Vong attackers (a charger maybe) ignore Tantive IV Shots, Noble Sacrifices, Folks coming back, and Self Destruct (if I'm reading it right EDITED since I wasn't.)

And Peace Brigade Commanders are really cool