RegisterDonateLogin

Is a little short for a website.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : Which map would you drop from the Restricted list?
Choice Votes Statistics
Cliffside Citadel 4 21.052631 %
Grand Plaza 1 5.263157 %
Nightclub 1 5.263157 %
Off World Cargo Docks 3 15.789473 %
Off World Shipping Center 6 31.578947 %
Rancor Pen 2 10.526315 %
Simulation Deck 0 0.000000 %
Theed Palace 0 0.000000 %
Tomb of the Acolytes 2 10.526315 %

POLL: Which map to drop from Restricted list? Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 6:55:05 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I thought my proposed Restricted list would generate some comments, but apparently not. So let's try it this way instead. Which map would be your first choice to drop from the Restricted list? I tried to include every Restricted map I've heard any complaints about, but I could only add 9 options.

For me, it's close between Grand Plaza and Cliffside Citadel, but I went with Cliffside Citadel. Boring approach and bad starting area for the right side.

(I didn't make "none" an option, but feel free to make that argument, too. I don't think map list is bad, but there are definitely some Standard maps that I like better than some Restricted maps.)
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 10:12:19 PM

I listed them alphabetically in the poll, but here I'll rank these 9 from my favorite to least favorite.

1. Off World Shipping Center - I know this gets some complaints for being too "busy", but I really like this map. Protected approaches, a good number of doors (not too many, not too few), interesting lines of sight and multiple approaches. (Note that it's my favorite out of these 9 - not my favorite overall.)

2. Off World Cargo Docks - Almost a carbon copy of the above. Even more "busy" than Shipping Center, but also one that I like a lot.

3. Simulation Deck - Very unique map. Floating doors, oddly located pits, and completely symmetrical.

4. Theed Palace - I like this map as a Restricted map and haven't really heard complaints. I only included it as an option here because I recommended dropping it to Standard to make room for Outlaw City. Those two maps have a similar layout (what I called Peninsula/Road maps), and I think both are worth the Restricted list. I'd swap them just for variety.

5. Tomb of the Acolytes - Combat focuses on the choke points instead of gambit, which is a bit odd. I do like the map enough to keep it on the Restricted list, but it's not at the top of my list. Garnered a lot of complaints, though, last time it was discussed.

6. Rancor Pen - I've never been a big fan of this map, but I know a lot of people are. Compared to other Restricted maps, it's quite the shooting gallery. I doubt it'll ever be dropped just because we need a certain number of WotC maps on the Restricted list.

7. Nightclub - Way too wide open for Restricted in my opinion.

8. Grand Plaza - Lancer paradise. No safety in the starting zone on either side, and no more than 1 door to go through.

9. Cliffside Citadel - Bad starting zone and approach for the right side means few people will bother taking it. For those who do, pretty much every skirmish goes straight to the gambit room, so too predictable, too.
DarkDracul
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 10:12:24 PM
Groups: Member

I like these for Restricted
Cloud City
Peaceful City
Outlaw City
Commander’s Office
Rhen Var Citadel
Bothan Spynet
Mining Colony: Upper Level
Outer Rim Fueling Station
Great Library
Jabba’s Palace
Anchorhead
Cantina Map
Starport District
Simulation Deck
Command Deck
Tomb of the Acolytes
Dark Academy
Asteroid Base

I would like seeing these off the restricted list..
Off World Cargo Docks
Cliffside Citadel
Rancor pit
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 10:19:17 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
Cloud City
Peaceful City
Outlaw City
Commander’s Office
Rhen Var Citadel
Bothan Spynet
Great Library
Jabba’s Palace
Anchorhead
Cantina Map
Starport District
Simulation Deck
Command Deck
Tomb of the Acolytes
Dark Academy
Asteroid Base

Off World Cargo Docks
Cliffside Citadel
Rancor pit

You added these new ones to the Restricted List:
Outlaw City
Dark Academy

I agree with all those picks. Dark Academy surprised me when I last played on it. I expected it to feel too wide open, but it played well.

You suggested three to be dropped, but you also left these off the list. I guess you don't care either way about these?
Off World Shipping Center
Nightclub
Theed Palace
Grand Plaza
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 4:14:52 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
DarkDracul wrote:
Cloud City
Peaceful City
Outlaw City
Commander’s Office
Rhen Var Citadel
Bothan Spynet
Great Library
Jabba’s Palace
Anchorhead
Cantina Map
Starport District
Simulation Deck
Command Deck
Tomb of the Acolytes
Dark Academy
Asteroid Base

Off World Cargo Docks
Cliffside Citadel
Rancor pit

You added these new ones to the Restricted List:
Outlaw City
Dark Academy

I agree with all those picks. Dark Academy surprised me when I last played on it. I expected it to feel too wide open, but it played well.

You suggested three to be dropped, but you also left these off the list. I guess you don't care either way about these?
Off World Shipping Center
Nightclub
Theed Palace
Grand Plaza

I like Dark Academy for restricted. Ok, truth is I just want a Darkside maplist.
Darkside Destinations
Dark Academy, Tomb of the Acolytes, Asteroid Base, Mining Colony: Upper & Lower levels... hahahaha!

Off World Shipping Center is busy and plays slow IMHO. Off World Cargo Docks is the same with pits.
Nightclub has bad set up on one side and shooting lanes slow engagement. Cliffside Citadel is simular but worse.
Theed Palace is ok but it favors shooters and I'm just tired of playing on it. Which is more so for Rancor Pit.
Grand Plaza is ok but again games seem slower on this map (especially close games) in my experience.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 7:35:10 PM

DarkDracul wrote:

I like Dark Academy for restricted. Ok, truth is I just want a Darkside maplist.
Darkside Destinations
Dark Academy, Tomb of the Acolytes, Asteroid Base, Mining Colony: Upper & Lower levels... hahahaha!

I like Dark Academy, but I would take Outlaw City, Mining Colony: Upper Level, Oceanic Facility, or Outer Rim Fueling Station over it.

You said Mining Colony: Lower Level. Did you mean Ground Floor or Sublevel? I don't think either have a chance. The two un-attackable squares on Sublevel take it off the list. The corners of Ground Floor are its problem. It'll be lucky to make the Open List with those squares.
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 8:40:04 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:

I like Dark Academy, but I would take Outlaw City, Mining Colony: Upper Level, Oceanic Facility, or Outer Rim Fueling Station over it.

You said Mining Colony: Lower Level. Did you mean Ground Floor or Sublevel? I don't think either have a chance. The two un-attackable squares on Sublevel take it off the list. The corners of Ground Floor are its problem. It'll be lucky to make the Open List with those squares.
As for gameplay I perfer Dark Academy over Clliffside Citadel or even Rancor Pit. However, my choosing Dark Academy was also influenced by my attraction to it's thematic.

Sorry, I meant Ground Floor, I just added it to fit in with my thematic maplist Darkside Destinations. If the corners were ignored as illegal I wouldn't have a problem with it. We've had to adjust for issues with maps before...missing hindering terrain, low cover, lines-doors in wrong squares..ect.

It appears that Off World Shipping Center has taken the lead as most unliked map... wonder why that is.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 8:50:08 PM

Grand Plaza and tomb of the accolytes should go.

I'm not familiar as much with the new ones to say which should rplace them.

I really feel like a map should go if a particlular squad can abuse them. The above 2 can. The above 2 are abusable. The others are boring or has a detriment so big to one side I don't see how a squad can abuse it.
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 9:25:39 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Grand Plaza and tomb of the accolytes should go.

I'm not familiar as much with the new ones to say which should rplace them.

I really feel like a map should go if a particlular squad can abuse them. The above 2 can. The above 2 are abusable. The others are boring or has a detriment so big to one side I don't see how a squad can abuse it.

I agree with your rationale. I would add that if a map allows or contributes to slow gameplay it should also go.
Grand Plaza I'm assuming is abusive with straffers and swapping.
What abuses TotA? Mandos?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 9:33:01 PM

Diplomats blocking the choke points.
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 9:42:18 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Diplomats blocking the choke points.

Really??..... who would ever allow that to happen LOL
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:09:41 PM

I'm not sure I agree. It's such a unique map that I kind of like having it as an option. But there are enough good standard maps that I wouldn't mind seeing something new take its place if there are enough objections to it.
countrydude82487
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2015 8:08:40 AM

Here is my list:
Likes in order of Choice:
Map Name List
Theed Palace A
Peaceful City A
Cantina Map B
Simulation Deck B
Rhen Var Citadel C
Bothan Spynet[/b] C
Great library A
Starport district B
Rancor Pen B
Jabba's Palace B
Asteroid Base C

the choices that i could go either way with:
Map Name List
Night Club A
Off world Shipping Center A
Anchorhead B
Cliffside Citadel B
Commander's Office C
Grand Plaza C
Command Deck C

The Ones i think should be replaced:
Map Name List Replace with:
Tomb of the Acolytes C Mos Eisley Residence
Reasoning: way to many holes for pieces like diplomats and although it is a decent melee map, but it can be abused easily.

Cloud City A Hall of Judgement
Reasoning: Doesnt feel broken or Lop-sided just doesnt seem to fit in with the rest of the Restricted maps.

Off world Cargo Docks A Smuggler's Base
Reasoning: Cargo docks just has way too much going on in the map. that is where i draw my issue. It tends to
overwhelm people and is hard to read due to the large amount of clutter
Just My opinion.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2015 9:07:19 AM

countrydude82487 wrote:
The Ones i think should be replaced:
Map Name List Replace with:
Tomb of the Acolytes C Mos Eisley Residence
Reasoning: way to many holes for pieces like diplomats and although it is a decent melee map, but it can be abused easily.

Cloud City A Hall of Judgement
Reasoning: Doesnt feel broken or Lop-sided just doesnt seem to fit in with the rest of the Restricted maps.

Off world Cargo Docks A Smuggler's Base
Reasoning: Cargo docks just has way too much going on in the map. that is where i draw my issue. It tends to
overwhelm people and is hard to read due to the large amount of clutter
Just My opinion.

Ha - we didn't overlap at all with the 4 I would remove and the three you would remove.

The 'clutter' is part of what I like about Cargo Docks. I could do without the shadow of the crane over gambit. I guess it's nice to automatically mark gambit that way, but that part I could do without. But all the rest of the clutter just makes it really feel like you're running around in between and over a bunch of shipping containers - just like a cargo dock.

Cloud City I just think is one of the two best WotC maps. Overall, I like so many of the post-WotC so much better that I wouldn't otherwise care that much about losing Cloud City. But I really do think we need 3 WotC maps, and I think Cloud City is eons better than Night Club or Grand Plaza. And even better than Rancor Pen. (I think Ravaged Base/Commander's Office is by far WotC's best map - seems like most people agree.)
countrydude82487
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2015 9:59:27 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:

Ha - we didn't overlap at all with the 4 I would remove and the three you would remove.

The 'clutter' is part of what I like about Cargo Docks. I could do without the shadow of the crane over gambit. I guess it's nice to automatically mark gambit that way, but that part I could do without. But all the rest of the clutter just makes it really feel like you're running around in between and over a bunch of shipping containers - just like a cargo dock.

Cloud City I just think is one of the two best WotC maps. Overall, I like so many of the post-WotC so much better that I wouldn't otherwise care that much about losing Cloud City. But I really do think we need 3 WotC maps, and I think Cloud City is eons better than Night Club or Grand Plaza. And even better than Rancor Pen. (I think Ravaged Base/Commander's Office is by far WotC's best map - seems like most people agree.)

I Honestly Agree that each list should have at least 1 WOTC map on it, if not 2. I actually don't have an issue with Ravaged base, Rancor pen, Throne room, or Grand Plaza, they are just not favorites of mine. I do feel though that any of them are good Resticted Candidates.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:38:40 PM

I propose that Peaceful City be removed

My eyes were open to how truly bad this map is.

I know this will shock many, as it seems to be often used. But after playing on it almost every match both days at Frosty-Con. I now have a firm idea of why I hate it so much.

It is an insane shooters gallery.

unlike virtually every other map, you can actually shoot all the way across the board with just a few open doors. Beyond that (and more importantly), unlike vitually every other map - you can shoot from safe places further than 12 squares away from gambit - into EVERY SQUARE OF GAMBIT.

Let me let that sink in for a moment.

You cannot go into any square of gambit - without being shot 1/4 of they way (or more) across the board. If this doesn't discourage combat - I don't know what does.

Shooters already have enough advantage in this game. It's 10 fold on this map.
DarkDracul
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2015 5:56:29 PM

I agree non-melee doesn't need any more advantages. Which side of the map did you play? Did you run melee? What were your opponents playing? How can one shoot all the way across the board?

I think there are only 2 squares on both sides of gambit that are "safe" until opponents cross the map center.
Left side has the better option for gambit but the right side has the better set up area.
I think that's why opponents usually choose the right side.. at least in my experience.
I marked the "safe" gambit squares with purple on the left and blue on the right.
For me the plus side of this map is melee pieces have a broad striking range from the "safe" squares.
You provide cover fire from the sides but not sure the lines of sight are worse than any other maps (cloud city).
I think the left side has the advantage as the right side is more exposed at map center.
Which forces the right side to engage. I like a map that plays fast but certainly not if it's unfair or unbalanced.
"/>
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2015 6:18:35 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
[/URL][/img]

If you get time, can you do this for every map? It's pretty cool, as it makes me think about how I set up.
DarkDracul
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2015 6:44:10 PM

Yeah.. when I get time. I did that in a few mins with snipping tool and a janky mouse. After making it I realized I've been counting on my opponent to choose the right side.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2015 12:29:37 PM

That is cool Bryan, I like the lines drawn on maps idea.

I misspoke when I said you could get lines all the way across the map. You can however get very long lines.

I damming thing of this map in my opinion is this (I don't have a program to do what Bryan did - so I'll just try and explain.)

I actually chose the left side (I thought there were 2 safe square in gambit as well.) But it turns out there are zero safe squares in gambit (especially when facing republic commandos).

From the top room on the right side (very top of the map, called manager's office), just outside the door twards the center - there are a couple of pillars. From the square just left of the top pillar, you can get lin of sight into that entire side of gambit, including the two "safe" squares.

I was even running cloaked, but with sentry it didn't matter.

Just blow the door or override it, and with Super Stealth and insane movement it's easy to pop out and back in (while still being in cover) to crush ANYTHING, ANYWHERE in gambit. So you have no choice but to rush the room, and then the whole squad comes to bear on whoever runs that way. Without a serious movement breaker, it takes at least 2 rounds to get into attack position, and by then the whole squadron has blown you away.

It sets up the kill box scenario. Except as opposed to that box being in gambit, it is OUTSIDE of gambit, and covers ALL of gambit - forcing you to confront their kill box. To your own demise either way.

The bad thing is that the other side is EVEN WORSE.

It's a very abusable map is the bottom line. I personally don't want to get to the point where every squad HAS to have Force Sense to compete.

RCs are a VERY VERY strong squad now, and will be good on any map. This map in particular is one that shows an extreme way it can be abused. There are other squads that can do it too, but I feel that this example illustrates quite a lot.

I have always felt that with a well built squad vs another well built squad, map can certainly give an edge - but should never create an auto-loss. Between the two events at Frosty-Con, I lost on this map 3/4 games. And 2 of the three I feel like I would have won on my map, the third being a real game as opposed to an exercise in futility.

And bear in mind I am a fan of shooter squads. Stealth N Blue is my baby. I was running a Mando squad with lots of accurate damage. I like me some guns. I was super pissed when throne room was removed from the list.

And I am the one saying that this map is abusable to an extreme.