RegisterDonateLogin

A glass a day keeps Dr. Evazan away.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Breaking the GateKeeper Options
jak
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 3:41:39 PM
Groups: Member

Looking for squad ideas to compete with the top Republic Commandoes squads.

What ya got!?
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 3:58:52 PM

I actually like them as they discourage fragile shooter squads and encourage melee squads, and most squads can keep up with them in terms of activations. Melee squads don't care about superstealth, so you're spending 23 points on Bacara, who does nothing against them. It is an interesting conundrum though, as Jedi really struggle against some of the newer stuff like Talon, Blast Bugs, and Daala - it'd be nice if Commandos will help balance out everything so Jedi are better again.

I certainly don't think they're broken or at a different power level than other popular squads - just the combination of Shields 2, decent hit points, and Super Stealth makes them a different kettle of fish than what's been popular at the top tables.

I think these things can all hold their own against Commandos:
- Naboo Pilots should be a nightmare for Commandos. They run up and base them, and hit them for 50 and 40 when they die. Rodian Diplomat is a good Stealth counter too.
- Thrawn + Cad Bane or Lord Vader, Morrigan Corde, etc should cake walk it. 30 damage hits, and the Republic don't have much to stop them.
- Mace and GOWK, kind of depends on Mace critting, but I think the Commandos will find Mace and GOWK tough to drop as well.
- Solo Charge might be fine - they largely deal in 30 damage hits, Mara should be able to kill a Commando of her choice no problem, and AniBomb can do some damage, especially if he can get two consecutive bombs off.
- If Commandos get big, I can see Bastila squads evolving to include Satele and Boba together (and maybe even Morrigan as well if you wanted to really push the Commando hate). I think it'd be a solid squad.
- You could construct some kind of Vong squad where they you have a smaller number of attackers dealing in really big hits - load up on Scarification etc. Chazrach swarm with Malakili's overwhelming power should smash through them too.
- Caedus is good at dealing with Superstealth (can drag stuff out into the open with SBM and get his friends to shoot it). Malgus's Face Your Destiny would be nasty for them too - he can pull out whoever he wants to have a go at, and the Commandos might struggle to punch through him. Revan and Kaan could do well too, since the Commandos like to bunch up.
- the +4 +10 for Fringe should help punch through Shields. Often have big damage dealers too, and the Commandos probably won't outactivate them.
- I still think the Snowtrooper Swarm is an option - I like to include the Security Officer in mine, so I have It's A Trap - and with 30 damage hits, I need 3 hits to kill a 60 hit point Commando on average. I might be alone on this though.

They do seem tough for other popular builds like most Mandos, most Separatists (tend to deal in 20s), probably a bunch of Rebel squads too. They do shift the meta a bit, but hopefully in a good way that opens it up.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 3:59:54 PM

I think my "Flying Solo" NR build would deal with the Commandos and their bag of tricks. That was what I really wanted to run last weekend at FrostyCon but I gave young Matt the nod to run my pieces as he really wanted to play them.
DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 5:09:46 PM

I don't think Republic Commandos are THE gatekeeper but they certainly are good.
A long time ago another group of super-stealth Commandos dominated the battle grid - The Storm Commandos.
They were a headache back then but eventually players learned how to beat them.
Stuff like Luke's Landspeeder squads worked back then. So similar tactics should work against them.
kezzamachine
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 8:42:36 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Down here, the gatekeeper still seems to be something like Durge, CDOs, Spotter/Sniper, San Hill, MTB and Poggles.
jak
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2015 10:13:15 AM

If theiy're the gatekeeper or not, is not the point of the threadCursing
Wanted to discuss squad ideas to counter themThumpUp
DarkDracul
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2015 10:42:43 AM

Sorry if my comments about your thread's title derailed the tread.
My point was that a Luke's Landspeeder with Princess Leia CE could knock out Republic Commandos.
Master Thon and an OR senator could beat up on them. Any "Cannon" or "Swap" type squad that has movement breaking and can do lots of damage could do the trick.

Weeks
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2015 1:03:07 PM

Princess Leia, Rebel Commando. Can swap to Leia of Cloud City for Force Sense and keep her sweet CE. Might be worth putting into that Han Smuggler/Tantive swarm squad.
AceAce
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:40:05 PM

Tarpals/Gungans/Mobile

With Depa or Mira and Qui-Gon for Sense for whole game. Would chew them up I'd think
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:34:50 AM

With the exception of The Hutts's post, every answer is esentially "bring force sense"

I do think the commandos are a gatekeeper. Remember a gatekeeper squad is usually not the one that ends up winning it all. But rather if your squad has no way to deal with it you're in trouble.

It reminds me most of lancers 2-3 years ago. Had to have some plan in mind, or just get lucky and miss that matchup.

Depending on the map, even Jedi could be quite screwed. Peaceful City is a shooters gallery, and they dominate on it. They can sit back and hit with an amazing number of attacks as the jedi approaches, then if the jedi lives, just lock the door and snipe any door control with Sev. I actually think they beat most Jedi squads.

I think really only force sense + powerful mobile shooters beat them most of the time.

kezzamachine
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:52:10 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I beat them soundly last weekend at HamilCon. I ran Vindicated, Kelborn, two NEO officers, a Tactician, a Mando Demolitionist and Lobot ( bringing in two Treadwells).
juice man
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 11:28:41 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Remember a gatekeeper squad is usually not the one that ends up winning it all. But rather if your squad has no way to deal with it you're in trouble.
So that's a gatekeeper. Thanks.Cool
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 11:32:58 AM

Does the NZ Gatekeeper beat the Republic Commandos?

--Durge's Commandos--
56 Durge on Speeder
27 Lobot
44 Commando Droid Officer x2
16 BX Commando Droid Spotter
15 BX Commando Droid Sniper
10 San Hill
9 Poggle the Lesser
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
20 Geonosian Drone x10
(200pts. 19 activations)

It has some pretty big things in its favour:
- it massively outactivates the Commandos.
- it can bring in a Stealth counter with Lobot, and use the activation advantage to get it in position.
- it should have initiative control.
- the BX Sniper can put out 40 damage shots with the Commando Droid Officer cannon CE or 50 damage shot with the Spotter combining fire, to punch through Shields. There are also movement options available, so the Sniper can move 12 on its own turn and then take shots.
- the shooters all have Stealth, and there's an energy shield as well.

(I discussed some of this with Mike Moore Smuggler yesterday, so these are a lot of his ideas, since he's played it more than me).
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 11:42:22 AM

Super stout disruptive sure helps too.

Regardless, you have to be able to kill multiple targets after you shut off stealth. Whether that is with its a trap, Forde sense, or disruptive (with accurate or getting close).

Trading 1 commando for 1 of 2 Treadwells is a losing proposition.

And you can't bring 2 treadwellss and an MTB. It's usually init control OR anti stealth. Not both.

All that aside - map is huge. Try playing against them on peaceful city or another super shooty map. It sucks.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:54:24 PM

Would you bring in a Treadwell and an MTB, or try to get adjacent with the Droids?

I think the Commando Droid Officer has been a little overlooked in the states so far - it packs a lot of punch for its points, and it and the Mando Neo Crusader Officer are arguably the most significant pieces from the last two sets.

That Sep squad can put out a lot of damage in one activation with going first. You can activate a CDO, use its twin, with one of the shots Combining Fire with the Spotter, then give a Sniper a 40 damage accurate cannon shot. Or you can sweep through with Durge if you have some enemy pieces low on hit points.

I do agree that map can be significant, as are shield saves.
Weeks
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:55:59 PM

Thrawn coming back into fashion would be a big bane to
R Commandos. Vader beating down 1-2 commandos per round would quickly be a big problem.

Maybe the key is just having a way to kill scorch/Baccara reliably.....

Holy crap! Just realized Skybuck outactivates them. That's a problem.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:58:03 PM

Skybuck's a good one too.

I think the biggest issue is that the Republic Commandos denial abilities are Superstealth and Shields 2 - very different than most other recent popular squads' denial abilities. They don't have much to stop high damage, CE reliant squads that like to get adjacent, like Thrawn, Naboo Pilots, or Skybuck, but they make life difficult for fragile shooter squads that often do very well in tournament play (unless they're fortunate enough to bring something like force sense). I don't generally play fragile shooter squads, so that's probably why I'm not too worried about them personally.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 2:25:08 PM

Weeks wrote:
Thrawn coming back into fashion would be a big bane to
R Commandos. Vader beating down 1-2 commandos per round would quickly be a big problem.

Maybe the key is just having a way to kill scorch/Baccara reliably.....

Holy crap! Just realized Skybuck outactivates them. That's a problem.

Vader swap would work, he can take a few hits. Don't think Stealth n Blue would. You could swap in once, and kill 2 commandos if you're lucky, but then they would hit him a couple of times and your one hit away from death.

I am certainly not saying they are unbeatable. You just need to have a way to beat them. And a lot of top squads don't.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:52:41 PM

Galactic Hero's

Here is a squad that I took it to 2nd place in Gamehole Con 2 years ago, and it still is one of the best NR squads I've seen, and it is my favorite one to play even now. It has Force Sense and should be able to beat the RC's. It also has lots of good ways to deal with other threats to. In the V-sets that have been released since I made it, I've seen no need to update it.