RegisterDonateLogin

More addictive than death sticks.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

subaltern?? Options
sharron
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 4:27:40 PM
Groups: Member

ok, from my past experience, and my love for vong, and for the stupidity of the CE, is everyone sure that the yuuzhan vong subalterns Commander Effect doesnt effect the praetorite warrior, or the elite warrior? because it seems to me to read:

"allied yuuzhan vong warriors within six squares gain double attack."

this to me sounds reasonable, and fitting, but also mis-read. take warmaster tsavong lahs commander effect for example:

"allied yuuzhan vong who end their move within six squares gain momentum."

we therefore hit this problem, because both commander effects state that allied yuuzhan vong gain whatever ability. the only problem is, subaltern says that "only my warriors can gain this ability". does this neccissarily mean that it has to be only the characters that have the EXACT wording of "yuuzhan vong warrior" who are then allowed to gain this ability?

does this not mean that only the yuuzhan vong can benefit from this CE? i thought that this only meant that it was allied yuuzhan vong warriors who gained it, and not just some fringe warrior such as the utapaun warrior, or the aqualish warrior, seeing as they are not yuuzhan vong.

i think this is a very valid arguement, and someone please correct me if i am wrong.

thanks guys!!
swmimperial130
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 4:31:10 PM

I think It would be all Vong who have Warrior in their name. They could be Elite warriors, yet they are still vong.
sharron
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 4:33:29 PM

exactly my point. haha.
Lord ZOS
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 5:45:23 PM

I completlely agree. I was making that same argument elsewhere here on BlooMilk... out most hallowed groud... Sorry... I get carried away sometimes...

The point is that Yuuzhan Vong is a Species not a rank that one holds, and warriors are warriors irregardless of rank... thus Elite Warriors, and Praetorite Warriors should COUNT as Yuuzhan Vong Warriors... 'cause that's exactly what they are... just more experienced, and better trained.

I know it was a ruling that has already been made, but I say that was a bad decision...

Glympse
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 5:46:48 AM

Lord ZOS wrote:
I know it was a ruling that has already been made, but I say that was a bad decision...

What was the ruling in favor of? That it will work with Vong Elite Warriors?
EmporerDragon
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 6:14:06 AM

Glympse wrote:
Lord ZOS wrote:

No, the subaltern's CE only works with characters whose name contains the phrase "Yuuzhan Vong Warrior"
mercenary_moose
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:41:14 AM

EmporerDragon wrote:
Glympse wrote:
Lord ZOS wrote:

No, the subaltern's CE only works with characters whose name contains the phrase "Yuuzhan Vong Warrior"

Sadly, a correct ruling ThumbDown Wizards is so stupid about that stuff. Like what they did with IE Xizor. At first they ruled that his CE meant that only characters with the Black Sun special ability benefitted. However, the backlash from that move was so bad they reversed their call. It's a good thing they did; otherwise they would've obsoleted an otherwise fine piece on a freaking technicality.

Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 1:44:07 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

mercenary_moose wrote:
EmporerDragon wrote:
Glympse wrote:
Lord ZOS wrote:

Sadly, a correct ruling ThumbDown Wizards is so stupid about that stuff. Like what they did with IE Xizor. At first they ruled that his CE meant that only characters with the Black Sun special ability benefitted. However, the backlash from that move was so bad they reversed their call. It's a good thing they did; otherwise they would've obsoleted an otherwise fine piece on a freaking technicality.

Absolutely not. Nickname made the Xizor call based on the precedents he had. There was nothing about it in the insert. Anyone who is very well versed in the rules should've seen the reason, and understood. He cannot rule based on intent. The errata was made to bring it in line with Rob's intent. NOTHING to do with outcry.

As for the Vong ruling, shrug. Water under the bridge, until they decide to change the Subaltern's CE or add Warrior as a trait, you guys are out of luck.
mrtyler7
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 2:23:43 PM

Sithborg wrote:
mercenary_moose wrote:
EmporerDragon wrote:
Glympse wrote:
Lord ZOS wrote:

Absolutely not. Nickname made the Xizor call based on the precedents he had. There was nothing about it in the insert. Anyone who is very well versed in the rules should've seen the reason, and understood. He cannot rule based on intent. The errata was made to bring it in line with Rob's intent. NOTHING to do with outcry.

As for the Vong ruling, shrug. Water under the bridge, until they decide to change the Subaltern's CE or add Warrior as a trait, you guys are out of luck.

I don't think you can assume that the general dismay of customers over Xizor had *nothing* to do with the errata. If everyone loved Xizor as is, and didn't say anything, would have an errata been made? Who knows.. but it seems unlikely.

That being said, while I have argued against this type of ruling, it is a game with rules. As much as they try to base this on the novels, comics, movies, etc.. some of the rules that make sense in certain situations doesn't in others, but those are the rules. There are still lots of ways to boost these new vong that do not involve the subaltern. And again, who knows.. maybe another errata will be made. There have been a lot of them lately.
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 2:29:17 PM

Errata is usually to fix issues or to put a rule more in line with Rob's intent. Nothing I have seen has shown any public input. Trust me, if it was, General Obi-wan Kenobi's errata would never have taken place.
mrtyler7
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 2:35:07 PM

Sithborg wrote:
Errata is usually to fix issues or to put a rule more in line with Rob's intent. Nothing I have seen has shown any public input. Trust me, if it was, General Obi-wan Kenobi's errata would never have taken place.

That's an excellent point.
Lord ZOS
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 2:45:12 PM

[quote=Sithborg=
As for the Vong ruling, shrug. Water under the bridge, until they decide to change the Subaltern's CE or add Warrior as a trait, you guys are out of luck.[/quote]

I don't think it's water under the bridge Sithborg. That's kinda the point of this particular topic. People are starting to get fed up w/some of Rob's decisions.

As was stated before, rules are rules and we have to follow them. Understood. However, when the rules don't make sense... well, that's what house rules are for. We can fix that which Rob has neglected. For example, in my house Leia WILL be a Solo, and I'll be using the older & more accurate sculpt w/her newer card. Just because there is no such thing as a Leia Skywalker, and she doesn't wear tan robes.

As far as the subaltern goes, to say that's water under the bridge, and "you guys are out of luck", well... it's that exact attitude from WOTC that is making folk so frustrated. I mean no disrespect to Sithborg, I just don't agree w/these types of decisions, and it sounds like I'm not alone in the matter...
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 2:53:51 PM

You are getting upset about a ruling made over a year ago. Yes, it is water under the bridge, as it isn't likely to be changed anytime soon. People have been getting upset with the rules since the beginning. This is just one of many examples. If you choose to ignore it at your kitchen table, that is your perogative. I will always prefer to play with the rules as written.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:56:31 PM

I remember when Nickname made the ruling on Xizor, and if I'm not mistaken even added at that time that it could be changed once it was discovered what Rob's intent was. It was my impression that he ruled based on the wording on the card and took the most literal, conservative interpretation of the card text. I was disappointed, but had he been more subjective at the time it could have set precedents on pieces with similarly worded cards. It was worth waiting for Rob and the errata, in my opinion.
hawaii50batman
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 5:44:23 PM

Quote:
that's what house rules are for.

Just make sure you don't teach your 'house rules' to anyone else, passing them off as how the game is actually played. In the area I play in, we have problems with people whose understanding of the rules are clouded by scores of 'quick fixes'. In the end, the easiest way for everyone to learn the game is for everyone to play the same game, and trust the people who make the rules to govern fairly, which doesn't mean adopting all the little changes we would personally like to see made to the game, because if we all got to decide that at once, no two people would be playing the same game, and the game would be unplayable.

Quote:
there is no such thing as a Leia Skywalker, and she doesn't wear tan robes.

Leia was BORN Leia Amildala Skywalker, for the record, and she can wear whatever she wants.

And to make sure this post stays on the original topic, I also hope the Subaltern will get errata to apply to other warriors who are of the Yuzhan Vong race, though until and unless it does, it applies only to the specific named figure, as per the ruling.
Lord ZOS
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 3:20:04 AM

hahaha... don't worry, I don't try and pass off my house rules to anyone. I only play w/my kid. We play scenarios from the movies and books. Which brings me to another point, and probably the heart of this argument.

It was the characters & stories about them that attracted me to this game back when Revenge of the Sith came out... not the fact that it was yet another table top game. I got into this hoping to see characters from the novels represented, and represented well. I don't feel that Rob has done this on a consistent basis. I hate to see character sacrificed for game mechanics.

And for the record, Leia was born a Skywalker yes (even though she has NEVER gone by that name), but it was as a SOLO that she became a Jedi Knight. Thus, the name is wrong and inaccurate. Even after she found out about who her real father was, she kept the name of Organa until she married Han.

Also, I'm well aware that the Subaltern decision was made along time ago. I argued about it then, and I still feel the same way now. It just got brought up again, and I chimed in. Thanks to the addition of the PVW, it's an argument that deserves to be brought up again.
Lord ZOS
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 3:35:18 AM

Darth_Jim wrote:
I remember when Nickname made the ruling on Xizor, and if I'm not mistaken even added at that time that it could be changed once it was discovered what Rob's intent was. It was my impression that he ruled based on the wording on the card and took the most literal, conservative interpretation of the card text. I was disappointed, but had he been more subjective at the time it could have set precedents on pieces with similarly worded cards. It was worth waiting for Rob and the errata, in my opinion.

Darth Jim... Sorry, I just read this... I have to say that is probably the best argument that I've heard so far in favor of the Subaltern. I had not considered the possiblity of it setting a precedent for other similarly worded minis. That does make sense. However, is there no other way that could have been handled in order to avoid a situation like we are in now? I don't know.

So, I guess now I'm torn on this issue. I'd like to see some errata that could possibly fix this mess... otherwise this argument will be brought up alot. And YES, I still think it needs to be fixed.

Thanks Jim... that's the kind of argument I needed to hear... everyone else is telling me to just accept it because it came from ROB and the descion was made along time ago. I'm sorry if I don't accept stuff just because ROB says it... I'm not close to the guy, and I don't feel the need to impress him... if he's right on something, I'll give him praise... However, if and when he's wrong on something... I'll call him on it... not just nod my head and say, "yes master"...
Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 8:56:40 AM

The Subaltern works how Rob Watkins designed him. Hard to say it is wrong. It is fine to not be happy with it, I wasn't exactly thrilled with it either, but Rob designs in mysterious ways. Having the Subaltern work with the Praetorite Warriors is kind of bad, so I can see why he didn't want to limit his choices in the future.
twinrevans
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:08:02 AM

Sithborg wrote:
The Subaltern works how Rob Watkins designed him. Hard to say it is wrong. It is fine to not be happy with it, I wasn't exactly thrilled with it either, but Rob designs in mysterious ways. Having the Subaltern work with the Praetorite Warriors is kind of bad, so I can see why he didn't want to limit his choices in the future.

I'm not that beat up about the EYVW or PVW being able to Double/Twin. With all the other bonuses the YV get to attack/damage, they are solid enough with Twin. I think where the boat was missed with the Vong was in having some ANTI-Affinity to droids. Along with force immunity they should have added:

Droid Hunter (+4 and 10 against Droid enemies)

That would have been sweet.
Glympse
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 3:57:33 PM

Yeah, they needed something to work in their favor against Droids... who are the bane of their existence in this game. The two keys elements of the Vong in the books were one, they are immune to the Force, and two, they hated all technology. Yet only one is integrated into the minis game. They should make us a Droid Hunter or something. And give them, or at least Fringe, Vergere!