RegisterDonateLogin

Unlikely to lead to fear, anger, hate or suffering.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Which Set Is The Greatest? Options
DarthReeves
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 4:03:26 AM
Groups: Member

I agree with a lot of this, however I can't see Odd Ball as a miss. Legacy deserves a better rating, and JA deserves a 5 regardless simply because no matter what you open: You get a lightsaber...this is much better than the off chance that you open an IE and get Logray or Crappio. Worst you can do in JA (in my opinion) is either Cade or Qui Gon, and they are still decent!
Champions gets a 4 1/2 out of 5. Gotta dock the half point for the amount of e-web blasters that I wasted money opening, then again you DID get clone commanders in pretty much every package. Great post.
GeneralGrievous
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 4:22:07 AM

I love champions of the force BigGrin though I do agree that the darn E-Web's flooded a lot of packs I bought. Mad I have 4. Cursing
homestar45
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 4:49:02 AM

@Darth reeves

I think the point of Oddball being a miss is just the fact that he's one of the worst of the set. Not so much that he's terrible in general but that he's bad in consideration with the set. Think about it; how many pilots are in the set? So he just doesn't fit. I pulled him I think three times in drafts and was very dissapointed because he just doesn't have anything to offer. Needless to say the only time I won a draft after pulling him was the time that I didn't use him. Anyway that's just my opinion, but I think that's why he gets a miss.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 5:21:03 AM

homestar45 wrote:
@Darth reeves

I think the point of Oddball being a miss is just the fact that he's one of the worst of the set. Not so much that he's terrible in general but that he's bad in consideration with the set. Think about it; how many pilots are in the set? So he just doesn't fit. I pulled him I think three times in drafts and was very dissapointed because he just doesn't have anything to offer. Needless to say the only time I won a draft after pulling him was the time that I didn't use him. Anyway that's just my opinion, but I think that's why he gets a miss.

You would be correct in saying that.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 11:58:37 AM

OK. This thread's been updated, now that we know all the JA stats. JA earns a 5/5!!! Woot
sharron
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:38:22 PM

DarthReeves wrote:
I agree with a lot of this, however I can't see Odd Ball as a miss. Legacy deserves a better rating, and JA deserves a 5 regardless simply because no matter what you open: You get a lightsaber...this is much better than the off chance that you open an IE and get Logray or Crappio. Worst you can do in JA (in my opinion) is either Cade or Qui Gon, and they are still decent!
Champions gets a 4 1/2 out of 5. Gotta dock the half point for the amount of e-web blasters that I wasted money opening, then again you DID get clone commanders in pretty much every package. Great post.

i dont think cade would be the worst in JA. by far. cade is freaking awesome for 20 pts i rekon. lol. i would say quiggy and k'kruhk. not that k'kruhk is bad, just that he could have been better. lol.
arrcot
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:47:58 PM

in the clone wars set for misses you forgot Gha Nacht. I must have pulled at least 12 yes 12 in buy those pack. if i pull another one i told the store owner im selling my stuff and quiting the game.
defender390
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 2:58:52 AM

I do not really think that Jedi Academy makes the sith major contenders.
IG-108
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 4:53:49 AM

I think that Jedi Academy should be rated a 3/5 or a 4/5 because there were some good things in it (Sidious, Anakin Solo, Leia, the Exile, ect), but there were also plenty of disappointments (K'Kruhk, Maul, reprints).
mercenary_moose
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 6:31:39 AM

IG-108 wrote:
I think that Jedi Academy should be rated a 3/5 or a 4/5 because there were some good things in it (Sidious, Anakin Solo, Leia, the Exile, ect), but there were also plenty of disappointments (K'Kruhk, Maul, reprints).

Well, reprints are a given when your game is made by freaking WOTC. Even in Axis and Allies Minis we get loaded with reprints.

However, look beyond the Rares/VRs if you want to see why JA is such an awesome set. We get the uber-versatile Antarian Rangers, R4s (aka, Wicket for the masses), really beefy Sentinels, (I'm a fan of them, but they're not for everyone apparantly) Younglings, Exceptional Jedi Apprentices, which are really sweet, and some great Vong. Then take all the great rares/VRs and put them on top of that. This set is LOADED with quality pieces that'll have a lasting impact on the game.
defender390
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 10:22:41 AM

No, in Axis & Allies miniatures, we are smothered in reprints. Then, they take your carcass to a taxedermist and stuff you with reprints, then put you on display. True story.
awesome
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 10:35:05 AM

and stop thinking that Maul was a dissapointment, he isnt, think about it, sure Asajj has more by herself but for the seps. there isnt much you could do with her, for Maul he could get either, +4 attack, extra attack, swap, force renewal, etc.

he definatily isnt a dissapointment for 1 point less than Nihilus and 1 more than Nihl he rocks.
Evman678
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:39:33 AM

CHAMPIONS! It is amazing.
zerg
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:44:56 AM

JA : 3,5/5
mercenary_moose
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:42:37 AM

awesome wrote:
and stop thinking that Maul was a dissapointment, he isnt, think about it, sure Asajj has more by herself but for the seps. there isnt much you could do with her, for Maul he could get either, +4 attack, extra attack, swap, force renewal, etc.

he definatily isnt a dissapointment for 1 point less than Nihilus and 1 more than Nihl he rocks.

Whaddya mean? I LOVE the new Maul. Give him Sid and he is an A-1, top-of-the-line melee interference piece.

@defender390: You play A&A Minis?
Darth Percocet
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 2:43:23 PM

K.O.T.O.R. yes i said it knights of the old republic is my favorite set with LOTF trailing right behind & 3rd is COTF..

knights had alot of really useful pieces come out with not that many garbage pieces lol.. i think the only miss in knights (& this is my opinion so dont get on me about it) is zaalbar.. i feel knights had everything in it, they had good OR pieces, Great republic pieces, 2 of in my opinion are some of the best sith pieces, it put wedge out there, gave us that great piece to throw on a squad so that we can make everyone mandlorian ha.. I just think all around a good set.

Now dont sell LOTF short though, that is right behind knights in my book. You got almost everything in that set. Almost a unique for every faction & all good pieces, (except for moff morlish veed) & even so if you use him right he's half useful. But still they hit us with another boba who is good in my book & all the new era sith pieces.. all around great set.

& also i have to agree with moose on rebel storm comments he dropped. I dunno if this thread was made to give the best set that you think produced the most usable pieces, or just what set you like. But rebel storm had a bunch of useless pieces in it. Sure it was the foundation of the game but i got in the game like 2 1/2 years ago so LOTF was my foundation haha..
Dr. Destructo
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:41:32 PM

I agree with what Darth Percocet said, as Lotf and Kotor are also my fav sets, but what I rally want to address is IE.

Initailly, I was very skeptical of the set. I didn't plan on buying more than 1-2 boosters and only wanted maybe 5 minis from it, but it's actually grown on me. There are alot of really useful(note different from great) minis in the set. A sample list would be Thrawn, Arica, Lobot CLO, Kyp Durron, Palpi Throne, Rieeken, with some decent/great U's like Mouse Droid, TWBSV, and Whipid Tracker. So I would give it 4/5, maybe 5/5 if not for some really bad VR's(3PO/Leia)
mercenary_moose
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 8:28:28 AM

Updated. By popular demand, I've changed Rebel Storm's rating and now given 5 hits and 5 misses per set.
defender390
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:04:35 AM

mercenary_moose wrote:
@defender390: You play A&A Minis?

Yeah. I used to play the ground game, but they annoyed me into stopping. They gave us a new scale that invalidated our collections, sets were basically 80% reprints, there were multiple rules sets, they introduced platoons and then did not support them, and they changed the stats on the units and posted them in PDF form to invalidate my cards. It was not worth the headaches. I really like War at Sea, though.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:25:12 AM

I haven't played the ground game in a long time, but I still occasionally do. Don't get me started on how much the reprints of the 3-point riflemen piss me off... Is War At Sea worth starting a collection???