RegisterDonateLogin

Helps build strong bones and healthy initiative rolls.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

jedi academy sealed, will we kill luke? Options
amsnow
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:37:41 PM
Groups: Member

ive been looking over stats for the jedi academy figs that have been released and im just thinking, in the sealed events will any sealed army be able to beat luke? i have seen no flamethrower/self destruct pieces, and with most of the uniques being melee based they will get ripped to shreds by his djem-so. id just like to hear some thoughts and also what you think can top him
EmporerDragon
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:55:04 PM

Out of the currently known minis, Plageuis, Sidious, Sadow, Sith Apperentice, Sith Lord, Qui-Gon, Disciple of Ragnos, Anakin Solo, Exceptional Jedi Apprentice, and Kol Skywalker all have the ability to put direct damage on Luke. He can also be screwed horribly by a Praetorite Vong Warrior's thud bug.

Also, as Luke is 115 points, it'll be harder to give him decent support or activations in a sealed event.

He'll still be a beast to fight though, especially if the person also pulls Leia or Cade as their other rare.
Nightwalker
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:00:47 PM

depends what pt value sealed u do
RevRevGar
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:03:10 PM

Thats why we should do 150 this time around..

-RevRevGar
ArtemisCFrog43
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:04:47 PM

We're doing 150 at our sealed event. It should allow for lots of good combos. It will kind of suck to pull Luke and some other high cost rare and not be able to use them both.

It's going to be a blast either way.
RevRevGar
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:05:44 PM

Our last one was 100, I believe...

-RevRevGar
Omnus
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:40:29 PM

We are still debating what point to do for our sealed. Any point total is viable with 2 boosters but the main thought is...which format will be the most balanced. I want as many players to be able to have a shot at prizes as possible.

With luke being a rare 1/6 players will have GMLS. For our midnight release events that mean...4+ Lukes.

After we see all the stats we will decide. This set could have been the best sealed set to date if it weren't for Luke. Kotor being the best. Main factor is that lots of useful commons and uncommons are in the set and not having any one pull that puts you way ahead such as Bane or Boba BH (from their sets) or override.

If Luke ends up being pretty much unbeatable, we may do 100 and just block out Luke. But I think 150 should probably be enough. Luke has very little support and you can only cancel so many force powers. But it is still hard to tell at this point.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:43:16 PM

Other options would be a gentleman's agreement to not use Luke and/or letting players who pull him buy a replacement booster.
Jedi Master Chief
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:54:26 PM

Theres a good chance that if you play him right Anakin Solo or Plagiues could do some serious damage to Luke
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:57:34 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

There might be enough pieces with alternate damage and good defenses to wear Luke down. Kol, Plagues, and Vodo can tie Luke up a bit. Especially with Leia. The 2 Vong as well, especially the Ossus Guardian, with Razor and VCA 6.
amsnow
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:57:48 PM

yeah you say you can only do so many force cancels but that is also draing your opponents fps. i think 150 would be best though, because wether we want it or not, luke will be around we better just get used to it
homestar45
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 2:59:03 PM

I thought the same exact thing when I saw his point cost. At my Lgs we always play 100 pt on release events. So I'm wondering how screwed somebodies gonna be if they pull Luke, lol. It'll be interesting to see how they do it there. They'll probably have to boost to 150. Anyway, I'm getting tired and I'm babbling, but that's my 2
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:09:46 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

homestar45 wrote:
I thought the same exact thing when I saw his point cost. At my Lgs we always play 100 pt on release events. So I'm wondering how screwed somebodies gonna be if they pull Luke, lol. It'll be interesting to see how they do it there. They'll probably have to boost to 150. Anyway, I'm getting tired and I'm babbling, but that's my 2

Probably the same way everyone who pulled Han in Carbonite felt during the TFU release events.
amsnow
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:34:52 PM

Sithborg wrote:
homestar45 wrote:

Probably the same way everyone who pulled Han in Carbonite felt during the TFU release events.

poor barves
Sithfan
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 2:59:05 AM

We'll probably will be playing 120 point games. That way some one can use Luke if they want, but they're going to lack support...
IG-108
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 3:16:44 AM

I know the guy in charge of our sealed release event is planning on making it 120 because of Luke.
awesome
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 4:26:28 AM

ours has always been 150, I dont think that will change with GMLS coming out, that only leaves him with 35 points though so once he is dead he pretty much lost, and Luke isnt that hard to kill, just run him out of FP's and your good to go, allot of the characters in the set can counter him anyways so dont think that GMLS is the deciding factor.
billiv15
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 4:53:35 AM

awesome wrote:
ours has always been 150, I dont think that will change with GMLS coming out, that only leaves him with 35 points though so once he is dead he pretty much lost, and Luke isnt that hard to kill, just run him out of FP's and your good to go, allot of the characters in the set can counter him anyways so dont think that GMLS is the deciding factor.

I agree. You should not be restricting the format to prevent someone from using Luke.

It's also important to recognize, that powerful "sealed" figures have always existed, and yet, they don't consistently win sealed events.

As it happens, I don't think Luke is particularly strong in sealed anyways. In order to do more than 40 dmg in a round, he needs to have based first, and win init. That isn't a very high damage output for 115pts of a squad.

Guys, I submit that Luke will lose more often than he will win in sealed games, so I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

I've generally found that 100pt sealed isn't very interesting, and 120-125 in a set with so many 50+ point figures is too restrictive. I wouldn't do it.
Eroschilles
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 5:09:24 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

We are playing 150 at my local scene to give luke a chance to be played. I worked it out with store owner once I heard there would be a character over 100 pts, our reasoning was that there might be more than 1 figure costed so high. Though the store still has the event scheduled for the 16th b/c that haven't heard otherwise. I guess I should inform them.

I'm not that worried about beating him if I face him, but I really wanna see two gmlukes go at each other. That will b interesting to say the least.
Sithfan
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 5:22:02 AM

I thought that the regular format for a sealed tourney was 100 or 150 for a Huge set, while for A&E it was 120...

So in essence, we are trying to allow Luke to get played by assuming the preferred format is 120. But I think you might be right by making it 150 for this set. With the Jensaari Defender and the Imperial Sentinel costing as they do, it probably is wise to extend the 150 point limit to this set.