RegisterDonateLogin

Does not speak Bocce.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Two Questions Options
defender390
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 7:02:48 AM
Groups: Member

These are probably really stupid questions, but I have not played the game in a while and I forgot some of the rules.

1. Do Karmic Mettle and Mettle stack? Say I am using Nomi Sunrider and Zayne Carrick together and Zayne is rerolling an attack. Would he get +8 to his roll for both Mettle granted by Nomi and his own Karmic Mettle? Also, if Karmic Luck was in effect, could he get +12 to his roll?

FAQ wrote:
Q: Can a character with a commander effect use it on itself?

A: In most cases, no, because most commander effects apply only to followers (in other words, characters without commander effects). A commander effect that works on characters other than followers could be used by the commander on itself as long as the character is otherwise eligible. For example, Bail Organa's commander effect applies to Alderaan Troopers, and since Bail Organa counts as an Alderaan Trooper (thanks to his Alderaan Senator ability), he can benefit from his own commander effect – he gets the bonus to Damage when other Alderaan Troopers combine fire with him.

Does this mean that characters with an "allies" commander effect benefit from their own commander effects? I did not think this was true, but the FAQ got me thinking.
Example: Can The Jedi Exile gain Extra Attack from her own commander effect?

Thanks for any answers, I appreciate it.

homestar45
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 7:10:32 AM

To answer number two: No. Certain characters have in the text of the commander effect that they benefit from their own (I'm looking at you, you dirty Super stealthers). But generally they don't.

As for question number one, I'm not totally sure, but I seem to recall someone at my local game store saying that Karmic mettle and luck work together. The guy that did is pretty reliable and hasn't steered me wrong yet, so I'm going to say yes to the karmic luck and mettle working together but as for mettle and karmic mettle both I'm not sure.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 7:14:40 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

#1: the answer is in the definition of ally:
ally/allied character: Another character in the same squad. In team skirmishes, allies include characters in a teammate’s squad.

#2: Abilities of the same instance (basically if they have the same name) do not stack. So yes, they do since they do not have the same name.
defender390
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 7:22:16 AM

Okay, thanks for the answers. Thay were pretty much what I suspected, I just had to be sure.
awesome
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 10:50:27 AM

UMMM, no carmetic mettle, and mettle do not stack as they are both mettle, and are named mettle, you pick one or the other.
defender390
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 12:15:33 PM

If that is true, does that mean I cannot use both Cunning Attack and Advantageous Attack since they are both attacks? Are there any other interactions like the one between Karmic Mettle and Mettle I should know of?
Mickey
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 12:22:05 PM

You can stack those attack abilities.
awesome
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 12:25:36 PM

the reason that you can stack those attack abilities because they are differant, its base meaning is what matters, like those two mettles or cunning and cunning +20 they cant stack because they are both cunning.

get it?
defender390
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 12:43:07 PM

But what is the qualifier here.

Cunning Attack and Advantageous Attack
Differences:
1 word in the name
Cunning Attack has the words "+4 Attack and"

Karmic Mettle and Mettle
Differences:
Karmic Mettle has 1 extra word in the name
Karmic Mettle has the words "If the result is a failed attack or save, this character takes 10 damage."

As far as I see it, it is the same situation. I am inclined to believe that Karmic Mettle and Mettle stack.
awesome
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 12:51:45 PM

NO, the name is what matters not the wording, like advantageouse attack is defferant than cunning, differant name, mettle and mettle dont, but if you have master of the force 2, you cant use 1 force point for mettle and than another for another force point, the +4 from mettle stack if you spend more than 1 force point for it, but you cant spend 1 force point for a +8 from both, you have to choose what mettle you want to use, because they are technically the same, Id go for just mettle because you dont die from it.
awesome
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 12:51:45 PM

NO, the name is what matters not the wording, like advantageouse attack is defferant than cunning, differant name, mettle and mettle dont, but if you have master of the force 2, you cant use 1 force point for mettle and than another for another force point, the +4 from mettle stack if you spend more than 1 force point for it, but you cant spend 1 force point for a +8 from both, you have to choose what mettle you want to use, because they are technically the same, Id go for just mettle because you dont die from it.
awesome
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 12:53:05 PM

swinefeld
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 1:12:25 PM

I am inclined to agree with defender390, short of a citation where NN has addressed this on WotC and said otherwise...

This is not a numeric modifier like Cunning +20.

The beginning of the name is different. Different ability, not just a different "level" of an ability.

KotOR has been out a while now. I have to think the definitive answer has been given on WotC.
awesome
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 1:24:31 PM

well, someone should check wizards than, and give a quote from nickname,

I just think that it doesnt because they both are mettle, and carmetic is a "level" of mettle.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 2:27:54 PM

Some mentions on WotC:

Not from Nickname...

http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=18638515&postcount=9

There are several similar threads, but I haven't found anything from Nickname yet.
All answers I read point to them stacking...because they are different "named abilities"
awesome
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 2:29:51 PM

thats weird, but I would like for nickname to post on one of those, but thats strange how to differant mettles stack.
dnemiller
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 4:18:09 PM

of course they stack.

They are not the same ability.

Do you get deceptive and opp.? yes why they are not the same

Yes they stack. Try the Frequetly Asked Questions also when looking for ruling. Because sometimes that is where they are located.

Check your glossary.... if they are two different listed abilities that work differently then they would not be the same.