RegisterDonateLogin

Made you look.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Read any new canon books?? ~possible spoilers~ Options
jak
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 5:14:10 AM
Groups: Member

while some people hate the fact that Disney destroyed the old canon, I look at it as a chance to stay current
with the new books as they are released.

My favorite so far is Sith Lords, the battle scenes with Vader and the Emperor are awesome.
Tarkin is great also, a in depth look at who some considered the Empire's #3 man.

anyone else read any new Disney canon books??
Warev Ririp
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 5:36:38 AM

I've bought a few of them but haven't made the time to dig deeply into them. I haven't bought Tarkin or Sith Lords yet, but I want to.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 6:09:32 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

jak wrote:
while some people hate the fact that Disney destroyed the old canon, I look at it as a chance to stay current
with the new books as they are released.

My favorite so far is Sith Lords, the battle scenes with Vader and the Emperor are awesome.
Tarkin is great also, a in depth look at who some considered the Empire's #3 man.

anyone else read any new Disney canon books??

That's a good way to look at it. Hopefully many of the characters from the Legends canon will be "adopted" with not too many changes. Jaina and Jacen, for example, don't have to be important to the whole galaxy, but they could still exist and be Jedi Knights... with Jacen falling to the dark side.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 6:48:02 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

The Darth Vader comic is amazing. And it keeps on adding great new characters. I love Aphra and 000. And the new rivals are very neat. Including Mon Cal Greivious.

I am also in love with the reaction scene to finding out Luke's identity.

It also seems to hint very heavily that Thrawn will be back. I mean, why else would you recanonize the Grand General rank unless you also want to bring back Grand Admirals. And there is only one reason why you want Grand Admirals...
AndyHatton
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:15:44 AM

The Darth Vader comic is SO GOOD. Aphra is just the best.

Jason Aaron's Star Wars has also been enjoyable.

I kinda think Benicio Del Torro is going to be Thrawn (or a Thrawn like character) in Ep VIII
jak
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:10:48 AM

I haven't heard about the Vader comic, tell me more.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:28:45 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

The way I view it, is that it is an expanded form of Shadows of the Empire. This series is completely about Vader being a true Sith schemer. I mean, seeing Vader being a bad ass is fun. But in the comic, you get to truly see him as a Sith. Since he sort of has to rebuild his reputation in Palpatine's eyes after the failure of the Death Star. I am truly hoping Xizor makes it into the series, because that rivalry would fit in perfectly with the series. And I give the artist amazing kudos in being able to very easily show us Vader's emotions in art, even with the emotionless mask.

And the author and artist are just creating some of the best new Star Wars characters in a long, long time. Aphra is almost as much a main character as Vade in the series. And that is great. She is practically a dark Indiana Jones. Literally, her introduction was a Star Wars recreation of the opening Raiders. Already, I would put her up there with the likes of Mara, Thrawn, and Corran.

And 000, the Threepio meets Hannibel Lector droid, with snark turned up to 100. BT-1, the weaponized Astromech, who pairs up with 000 greatly. Add in the potential Vader replacements Palpatine was having developed because of Mustafar. The technological enhance faux Jedi twins. Mon Calamari Greivious. And the female Lobot with remote like drones. And new Bounty Hunters. IG-90, a red Iggy. Beebox, a mini mando. And Black Krrsantan, a wookiee BH who loves being in wookiee gladiator fights to the death. And they just introduced us to Imperial Sherlock Holmes, with a monocle.
AndyHatton
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 12:21:51 PM

Sithborg wrote:
And they just introduced us to Imperial Sherlock Holmes, with a monocle.

And a real sweet beard!

Kieron Gillen is building a transition from the Vader we see in a New Hope vs the Vader in Empire. In a New Hope hes ok just taking orders and pretty much following the company line. This is what the Empire needs, I'll do it. In ESB he clearly is doing his own thinking and planning (Wants to overthrow the Emperor with Luke) we are starting to see that building here with Vader getting his own "personal resources." Its Great to see Vader really acting like a legit Sith Lord as Sithborg said. (Very reminiscent of Darth Maul's return in the Clone Wars cartoon)

There is a fantastic scene where Boba Fett provides him with the name of the Pilot who destroys the Death Star (a scene which also occurs in the main Star Wars comic) but in the Vader comic it is fleshed out and you see Vader have all of these thoughts about Padme, and then realizing how the Emperor has deceived and betrayed him, and you pull out and the window of his Star Destroyer is just cracked to hell, its a very well done two pages with zero dialogue outside of the one word "Skywalker"

I liked a lot of Dark Horse SW Comics, but I LOVE these new Marvel ones.

Also he flies around in what looks like Padme's old ship, because of course he would.

jak
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 12:54:55 PM

Vader comic looks cool.
Confused do I run out and try to get the back issues, or can I wait til October when the trade paperback comes outUnsure

set 12 must include those 2 droids, the perfect anti-Artoo & Threepio
AndyHatton
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:24:20 PM

I think Aphra, 000, and BT-1 would be perfect for an upcoming V-set. (I made customs here BT-1, 000, Aphra)

Its hard to say, there are 7 issues currently out, and I'm assuming the TPB will only have the first 5. I think its a matter of preference, but by the time the trade Vol 1 comes out, the second arc will be pretty much done and I'm not sure when that Trade will be out.

I was a few months behind and I just bought all of them as opposed to waiting for the trade (same with the main SW book)
jak
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2015 10:29:34 AM

Just started to read Dark Disciple.
Quinlin Vos & Asajj Ventress open up a intergalactic catering company called V&V Vittles*

Vos is tasked with getting Ventress to trust him, with the ultimate goal of assassinated Dooku.#

*not true
# true
jak
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 7:53:21 AM

Finished the book!
highly recommendedThumpUp
AndyHatton
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2015 12:53:24 PM

Read Aftermath, did not care for it
Read Lost Stars, LOVED IT
Just started Dark Disciple

A bit behind on all the comics, but they will be the first thing I buy and read when I get to the store again. (Also maybe going to try and get Kanan the last Padawan since I just finished Rebels Season 1 the other day.)
dreadtech
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 5:25:42 PM

Got Aftermath, had it now for 2 months, not got past chapter 3. Just cannot get into it.

Wont bother with any others.
jak
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 6:07:42 PM

I'm about half way through Aftermath.
I'm enjoying itCool
with a droid named "mister bones" what's not to like?
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 6:52:39 PM

Dark Disciple is awesome but gets you emotionally at the end for sure. Tarkin is ok and the Rebels book is fairly good. Excited for more comics action though especially this mom cal grievous??