RegisterDonateLogin

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that Milk, not excuses.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Talking Tactics: Forward Positioning Options
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2015 5:52:52 AM
Groups: Member

I've been a fan of Snowtrooper squads since the wotc days. I've been really looking forward to using the new E-Web blaster in tandem with my snowtrooper squad, so last night I decided I'd give it a shot. Through a combination of poor playing and out-of-sync commanders, it wasn't the resounding success I'd have liked it to be.

Forward positioning says that you and set up anywhere on your half of the map, but it seems like no matter where I set up, I'm liable to get blasted by a big shooter w/ accurate.

So how do y'all play the new E-Web blaster? Are there any specific commanders (exclusing the Snowtrooper officer/commander for obvious reasons) that y'all play? Do you set your E-Web up somewhere with a decent firing lane, or do you prefer to move him around a bit first before finding a spot?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2015 6:16:12 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I don't think the E-web is worth it... better to have a bunch more regular Snowtroopers to swarm with. But... if you're using one, you want to find a spot that is out of line of sight. Hope to out-activate... move out to where you have line of sight one round, then shoot at the top of the next round. It's a big and easy target... low defense and high damage output so it's probably the opponent's first target. Due to its immobility, it might play better with Thrawn than Daala. Going first (to shoot before being killed) is more important than Charging Fire. But all the other troops play better with Daala, which is part of why it isn't a top tier piece.
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2015 6:21:16 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I don't think the E-web is worth it... better to have a bunch more regular Snowtroopers to swarm with. But... if you're using one, you want to find a spot that is out of line of sight. Hope to out-activate... move out to where you have line of sight one round, then shoot at the top of the next round. It's a big and easy target... low defense and high damage output so it's probably the opponent's first target. Due to its immobility, it might play better with Thrawn than Daala. Going first (to shoot before being killed) is more important than Charging Fire. But all the other troops play better with Daala, which is part of why it isn't a top tier piece.

That's how I've always felt about it too. I know you can give him at least 50 damage with 32pt. w/ Thrawn and Squad Firepower. But I've found the same problem with him too - For 21 points, I could play 4 snowtroopers at 12 attack for 30 and twin (with Czerka Scientist.)

You almost have to wonder if there's a way to give him a free move akin to intuition.
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2015 6:23:34 AM

Forward positioning give you the impression that you're going to have more control over the map, when it fact it seems like a big ol' target on the E-Web.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2015 6:23:57 AM

setting up in 'nooks' near a wall with 2 doors helps a lot,
in pincer moves, to create a diversion, or to catch in the crossfire.

Trying to set up with too many LoS is a problem later, and setting up too far from the main force makes for slim pickings.
Hopefully you'll be able to take out 3 or 4 fodder of the enemy, before the Eweb is allowed to die

I've had good success setting up with 3 walls and a pit; managing to kill a troop cart (and an occupant),
and easily moving down a hoard of Jawas in a 2 v 2 150 game.

Ewebs are probably going to be an AoE/direct damage sponge, so I figure its dead from the outset.

Looking forward to hearing what other folks do for EWeb strategy
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2015 6:30:12 AM

Yeah, I think it would be more beneficial to use the E-Web as a deterrent, at least initially, than an attacker.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2015 7:05:20 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

If you can set up in cover two back from a door, you can open the door and then shoot in the same activation. But that requires your opponent being in line of sight on the other side of the door.