Round 2: Warfare and Subterfuge vs Jedi Academy Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2015 12:08:50 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Set vs Set tournament

Warfare and Subterfuge + Diplomacy - jerjerrod4
vs
Jedi Academy - CorellianComedian

Post your squads and explain why you will win. Everyone else - vote publicly for who you think will win. I'll track votes in this top post. (I reserve the right to exclude votes based on suspected sock puppet accounts.)

If anyone plans to play this match, please post that you plan to. Others may want to wait to see a play report before voting.

If both players agree to play this out instead of having the community vote, then the vote will be ignored and the results of that match will stand.

Voting ends December 15, 2015, 3:00pm EST (New York time).
===
5-2 for JA
jerjerrod4
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2015 1:40:53 PM
Groups: Member

My squad

45 Han Solo, Corellian Legend
40 Tesar Sebatyne
52 Barabel Jedi Knight x2
22 Admiral Gar Stazi
40 Wraith Squadron Pilot x2

CorellianComedian
115 Grand Master Luke Skywalker
38 Kol Skywalker
25 Leia Skywalker, Jedi Knight
21 Felucian x3

I would pick a map like Jabba's Palace to give me some good lines on shots.
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2015 2:01:57 PM

As much as I love the Luke team and enjoy playing it and rooting for it unless CC makes a good case for it I have to give it to W&S. Han will pepper anyone who approaches with accurate opportunist and even if Luke dodges most of it with Leia's help the Barabels are going to brutal strike their way past his Djem So Style Mastery and defense which would have been his saving grace. But CC convince me otherwise. As is W&S has my vote
spryguy1981
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2015 3:07:13 PM

Just ran this simulation on CC's map Rhen Var.

Round 1 Both sides approach gambit. Luke and Leia move together towards the top. Gar and Han move together towards the top. Wraith Squadron dudes move towards gambit room along with 2 Barabels. Tesar moves with Han and Gar. Felucians and Kol move down the left.

Round 2 Wraith Squadron 1 opens the top door to the gambit room Barabel 1 takes gambit. Kol moves 12 and bases the Barabel and Wraith 1. Barabel 2 opens the door to the little room with a top door and a side door and then Gar moves in and opens both doors. Luke opens the door the little room on the left side, Leia tucks into safety out of Han's sight. Han shoots at Luke, hits, Luke defenses. Wraith #2 takes gambit.

Round 3 W & S wins init and Barabel 1 attacks Kol with Brutal putting 40 on him. Luke charges 10 with master speed and bases Gar and Han. Twins Gar, rolls a crit and a hit killing Gar. Han triples Luke, 2 hits, 2 defenses, one miss. Tesar charges Leia and pins her into the other room to isolate her from Luke. Leia puts 20 on Tesar, Barabel #2 puts 30 on Kol, Kol crits Wraith #1 with Precision on killing him. Doubles to put 20 on Barabel 1. 3 Felucians Blast Barabel 2, 2 get through. Wraith 2 puts 20 on Kol. End of round Kol 40, Barabel 2 50, Barabel 1 70.

Round 4 JA wins init, Luke pulverizes Han. Tesar puts 80 on Leia, Leia returns 40 on Tesar. Barabel 1 kills Kol with Brutal, Wraith 2 kills Felcian 1, fails rolling fire save. 2 and 3 Blast Barabel 2, 20 gets through. Barabel 2 brutals kills Felucian 2. End of round Tesar 30, Leia 10, Barabel 2 30, Barabel 1 70.

Round 5 W & S wins, Tesar kills Leia. Luke charges Tesar kills him. Wraith 2 kills Felucian 3, Barabel 1 and 2 fall into the gambit room to buy a round vs Luke. End of Round Barabel 2 30, 1 70

Round 6 JA wins init, puts them first, Barabel 2 moves further down into gambit. Luke charges top door and opens it. Wraith 2 puts 20 on Luke. Barabel 1 misses Luke.

Round 7 JA wins, Luke kills Barabel 1, Wraith 2 hits Luke, Luke defends. Barabel puts 30 on Luke, Luke fails Defense, makes Djem-So kills Barabel 2 bases Wraith 2, hits him twice.

Round 8 Wraith 2 misses Luke, Luke kills Wraith 2

It was a decent match 219-139 was the final score, but Luke was too hard to take down even with isolating Leia, and 14 square reach to base someone is a lot. I want to see it played on Jabba's Palace too and I think Jerjerrod and I are going to play that one sometime in the next day or so.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2015 8:16:36 PM

My Squad: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/165379/the-return-of-the-grand-master
--The Return of the Grand Master--
115 Grand Master Luke Skywalker
38 Kol Skywalker
25 Leia Skywalker, Jedi Knight
21 Felucian x3

(199pts. 6 activations)

My map is Rhen Var, as has already been noted.

Jerjerrod's squad:
45 Han Solo, Corellian Legend
40 Tesar Sebatyne
52 Barabel Jedi Knight x2
22 Admiral Gar Stazi
40 Wraith Squadron Pilot x2

Now, the Barabel Jedi Knights are obviously dangerous to Luke's tankiness, and I'm in the weird position of choosing between an Opportunist barrage from Han or some Brutal Cunnings from the Barabels. However, Luke also has Force Defense. He'll burn through FP incredibly fast using it, but he can block a crucial Brutal Strike from happening. Also, the WaS squad has no melee defense whatsoever. Anybody that comes picking on Luke will die next round.

Now, my squad has an advantage because it doesn't have much for support. Leia is important, but has enough HP to survive a full onslaught from either Tesar or the two BJKs. The Felucians fill out activations, but will be amazingly annoying - they have three chances to survive Frag Grenades or a non-Brutal attack. Han could take them down, but would be wasting his time. The point of this is that the squad really has no weak point that you can kill to make the squad fall apart.

Jerjerrod's squad, on the other hand, has to keep Gar and Han alive. If Luke rushes either one, they will have to eat 40 damage to get away, or die next turn. If Gar falls, the Barabels are less likely to get Cunning off - and they need the attack boost to hit through the amazing defense of the Skywalker men. If Han dies, Kol and Leia are free to jump into the fray and slug it out with the lizards without having to note their lack of ranged defense.

At the end of the day, on whichever map, I have a massively powerful beatstick with amazing range, an amazing support melee interference, three super-survivalist grunts, and a support commander who very nicely complements the squad, but is not essential to it. The Barabels would need a lot of time to eat through Luke or Kol, Tesar is powerful but will be pounded by Kol or Luke. Without any melee defense, Tesar will be owned by Luke or Kol and Leia in a single turn. Once he's down, the Barabels have to worry about actually HITTING Luke even if Brutal Strike is there. Leia should be protected from Han, but against everyone else she is a conundrum - that CE is too good to leave alone, but do you want to waste the time taking her down while the Grand Master is busy wrecking the rest of your squad?

Anyways, that leaves Han as the main viable threat. Kol and Leia can't do much against him, but Luke can absorb those hits in his sleep.

Both sides face some tricky maneuvering, and I think this game lends itself quite a bit to showcasing the skill of the players to decide the game, but I think Kol and Luke are just too much for the Barabels to chew through. I think JA wins on either Rhen Var or Jabba's Palace.

I'm excited to see the results of Spry and Jerjerrod's game.
juice man
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 8:43:34 AM

Have to go with GMLS. Only the Barabels have Brutal Strike + no renewal. Two of CC's squad have Force canceling abilities. Han Solo is always trouble, but Luke can close very fast. And Felucians have renewal now.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 10:49:27 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Cancelling Brutal Strike is... Brutal. And probably what wins this game.

GMLS gets my vote.
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 9:54:01 PM

JA and Luke with Djem-so against a melee squad is going to be tough sledding.

gholli69
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 12:23:38 PM

Gotta give the edge the JA here as GMLS is aa lot to handle for han and some minor beats.