RegisterDonateLogin

You stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking milk drinker!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Designing an Adaption of SWM, looking for feedback Options
Amadeus
Posted: Saturday, February 6, 2016 3:13:10 PM
Groups: Member

So I'm part of a group that for quite a few years has been working on worldbuilding a sci-fi universe. I'm looking to combine my love of Star Wars minis with my love of this universe by creating an adaption of the Star Wars Miniatures game for these different militaries and characters. The level of sci-fi is fairly similar to level star wars is at, but probably more advanced.

My question to you is what base gameplay mechanics would you make to SWM given a fresh start and no Force? I'm not so much looking for changes in abilities but more the how the basic rules work, either big or small things.

For example, ideas I've thought about include:
-"Sideboard"-esque mechanics for characters, similar to how reinforcements work but more restricted and does not require pieces like Lobot in squads.
-Attack Ranges (with falloff, ie -2 attack when attacking characters further than X squares away).
-Munitions as a resource, making using abilities like grenades and satchel charge more like using a force power. Can also be spent to increase damage of next attack if non-melee. Other resources could be used as well. This could play out to include supply and support pieces which ensure characters don't run out of munitions, but opens up opportunities to cut off supplies.
-Rework of how vehicles work by giving them their own classification. Tanks having armour that can only be taken out using Anti-Armour abilities that may cost munitions (AT grenade) or are inherent to the unit (Heavy AP machine guns). Vehicles play a much more important role in the wars this is based and I don't want them to end up like Vehicles in SWM.
-Cover provides different amounts of bonuses depending on the size of the piece. (ie. a massive mechsuit gets less cover than a 4 foot tall alien)

If you have feedback on the above ideas or have ideas of your own, let me know, I'd really appreciate it! :)

If you need an idea of what the military tech is like, here is some reference to one of the factions that is about average technology level in the universe. (I recommend just using this page as this wiki isn't well maintained)
http://eaw.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Korvar_Military

kobayashimaru
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:26:28 PM
Groups: Member

I'm keen to see what further musings there were on this -
as it appears prima facie to be reminiscent of the "SW-W40K" proxy mod.
Anything that's more D20 orientated has my attention BigGrin

It does sound like an intriguing idea - particularly to make vehicles more of a fearsome prospect.