We're gonna have company!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Pa Regional 2016 Options
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 6:46:27 PM
Groups: Member

Date: April 22, 23

Location: Jim's house! 701 Jonathan Ct Mechanicsburg Pa 17055

Events: Friday April 22 X Wing 100pt constructed 5$ entry fee; First prize Death Star I FFG Playmat. (Other prizes tbd)

: Saturday April 23 Star Wars Miniatures Regional Tournament 200pt constructed Prizes subject to number of participants but will include Lily Wan Original Customs, maps, and cash prizes

The starting time for Saturday's regional will be 2pm, registration 12-2. The starting time for the X Wing tournament Friday night tbd.

Darth_Jim
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 6:02:37 PM

We will be using Map List A. I was waiting to see if any changes or additions were going to be made to the map lists, but I think we'll just go ahead with A.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 8:11:34 PM

Sounds good. Thanks for hosting, Jim! I can't wait!
kobayashimaru
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 8:18:29 PM

dang! Sounds like a fun time -
are you retiring moreso from the game Darth Jim? those prizes seem ridiculously awesome! Laugh
It would be great to see any in-progress happy snaps for a game report, maybe just a couple of the squads mid battle
(only of the attendees if they wanted hehe).
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2016 8:49:29 PM

Nope, not retiring...although I may be a bit incapacitated at the time of the tourney recovering from surgery. As for prize support, some maps are from winning GenCon last summer and getting doubles, and since Lily will be here participating I've purchased some customs that she'll be bringing. The cash is simply the left over cash from entry fees.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2016 5:02:05 AM

Official start time for Saturday's regional will be 2pm.
spryguy1981
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 2:19:19 PM

Updates?
jak
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 2:24:36 PM

spryguy1981 wrote:
Updates?

yea, what he said
UrbanShmi
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 4:33:13 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Top 4 were Jason (Gungans), Jim (Fringe), Josh (Ani/Obi), and Trevor (Cin/Serra/Quinlan).

Finals between Jim and Jason.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 4:44:24 PM

Urban Jedi wins a closely contested game. Congrats to both;
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 8:19:00 PM

Just made my squad public.
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 10:13:21 PM

Congrats Jason! Interested to see that build.

1 Republic

2 Fringe

3 Republic

4 Republic

So... Fringe is doing pretty good this year huh?

FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 4:45:18 AM

Rest of the field was Imperial, Vong, Sith, Imperial.
jak
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:20:46 AM

DarkDracul wrote:
Congrats Jason!
1 Republic

2 Fringe

3 Republic

4 Republic

So... Fringe is doing pretty good this year huh?
well...I know Jim is doing well with Fringe

jak
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:23:09 AM

any more squads posted?
what was the turnout?
Darth_Jim
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:42:56 AM

Yes, thanks to all who came to play over the weekend. I feel like a clock, with all of the seconds I got. (2nd in this regional, 2nd in the X Wing tournament Friday night.) I appreciate those of you who drove a long way to get here, some of which won't be reading this until they drive hours to get home.

Here is my squad...not sure if I've made it public yet.

Jam Session 2.0

Talon Karrde
Embo
Mira
Morrigan Corde
Aves
Wookiee Thug
2 Ugnaughts
R7

My first game was against Laura, playing Vong. I felt with the addition of the Wookiee Thug with his backlash that I was ready to face Vong. Well, Laura's squad didn't use blastbug so my approach had to be different. I can't remember all of the stuff in her squad (All of those Vong names sound the same) but the end result was that I couldn't play with the aggression and reckless abandon I usually do with my fringe squads. I had to play tight and conservative, and that was purely due to the synergy of her build. Give Laura more seat time with the squad and the results may have been different. I won a tight game, 2-1.

The next game was against TJ and his sith. It was similar to his previous Caedus builds, but had Warb Null. (Is that his name?) Now, Tj will tell you he only had a 20% chance to win the game, but I will tell you that I felt that I was back on my heels all game long and it just took me forever to get rid of that Warb guy. I won 3-1, but it was another tight match where I had to play conservative.

I played Jason in the last round of swiss. His gungan squad a couple of years ago had totally dismantled an early iteration of my fringe Talon squad. Well, this was a new and improved Talon squad. Results? 3-1 him. A bloodbath, but a good game. I could go all out and play aggressively, and felt I had a chance to win. Even though I didn't, I had ideas for the next time we faced off. In the meantime I finished swiss with a 2-1 record, 6pts. I was seeded 3rd in the top 4.

In the first round of the playoffs I faced Josh, who was running Ani/Obi and Mace. Josh wasted no time in coming after me in the second round and was able to base Morrigan, Aves, and an ugnaught with Mace. First attack was a crit on Morrigan, and he finished her off with the flurry. Second attack on Aves was a crit and the flurry finished him off. Third attack on the ugnaught was also a crit, but fortunately for me he'd run out of targets. Was I worried or stressed? Heck no, because by that time I had 4 beers and 2 percocets in me. I swarmed Mace and dropped him. He then force leaped Ani/Obi in next to Talon and just needed 4 hits, no 1's to drop him. Game would be pretty much over. He rolled a 1 and only did 60 to Talon. I swarmed Ani/Obi and, with a timely crit of my own with Mira when Ani/Obi was next to cover to drop him. In an unlikely turn of events, luck swung dramatically from his corner to mine and I emerged victorious. Great game, even had it gone the other way.

The final game against Jason was anti-climatic. Not because of some bad luck on die rolls (which I had), but because both of us made enough stupid moves and oversights that there's no way we could find a point on which the game hung. At least it was bloody and action packed. Jason won again, but the jury's still out on whether my Jam Session can handle gungans. Unfortunately, since I won't be going to GenCon this year I won't know, but I can say that Jason's gungans are the real deal. They are scary good.

Thanks again to everyone who came, and I appreciate you all putting up with the limitations of playing in a private home bring. My leg thanks you as well. I am working on the premise that the more body parts I lose, the better player that I am. I am more machine now than man, twisted and evil.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:50:30 AM

Oh, incidentally, when time was called on the championship game, Jason won something like 180-171. Despite each of us trying to give the game away, we did keep it close.
janeskimmilk
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 11:00:27 AM

Yay! I love TJ!
janeskimmilk
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 11:01:29 AM

i'm his wife
jak
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 11:29:40 AM

janeskimmilk wrote: