RegisterDonateLogin

Will train this boy.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

V-set 13 What do you want to see? Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2016 4:15:54 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Community request thread.

Long lists of 10+ names will pretty much be ignored. Highlight your favorites.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2016 4:24:55 PM
Groups: Member

Old Republic beatstick Revan, from the end of KOTOR or post-KOTOR, ~50-60 points.
A good Cade Skywalker (although I assume this is unlikely, since most NR spots will go to the new movies).
An NR Leia from the new movie.
donnyrides
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2016 5:50:00 PM

something that can make a old stuff new again.

Some nice CEs for Utapauns. You gave us Darth Desolous, now follow it up with something awesome to make both Desolous and utas more playable.

Subfaction stuff. lost tribe, nightsister, etc..

Thanks
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2016 7:16:43 PM

kotor remakes.
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2016 7:36:54 PM

Tanks! Tanks for everyone!
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2016 8:17:59 PM

Ima-Gun-Di? Pretty please?
Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2016 3:41:10 AM

More Playable Jedi Uniques or Characters that make the existing more playable.
Naarkon
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2016 4:52:14 AM

Expanded subfactions, especially Lost Tribe.

More stuff to make old pieces more playable.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2016 5:01:46 AM

6 I'd like to see from the Star Wars Rebels animated TV show:

The Seventh Sister, Imperial Inquisitor
The Fifth Brother, Imperial Inquisitor
Rex (Captain Rex as a Rebel)
Krykna (aka better version of the Knobby White Spider)
Commander Jun Sato (new rebel commander that could give benefits to Ghost Crew?)

and......

Maul!!!!!
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2016 7:01:12 AM

+1 to the Seventh Sister and Fifth Brother. Aside from Episode VII folks, they're kind of the biggest names without minis out there, I think.
jak
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 5:21:12 AM

How about a Jabba, on a repulser sled, so his speed can be normal.
Lily_Wan
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 8:16:56 AM

Some Droids characters would be appreciated. Mungo Baobab, Mon Julpa, the Fromm Gang, etc.
CorranHornsux123
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 11:41:25 AM

I would love a new Zayne Carrick with a rival for Lucien.
A new Calo Nord and Canderous Ordo(fringe)
And some sith we haven't seen yet like Ajunta Paul
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 12:16:17 PM

CorranHornsux123 wrote:
Cancerous Ordo(fringe)

Also, a Republic Palpatine would be cool - we only have one, and it's very old and not very playable.
spryguy1981
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2016 7:04:46 AM

Jace Malcom
Theron Shan
Octa Ramis
5th Brother
7th Sister.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2016 7:35:18 AM

Okay, last one for me...

Kao Cen Darach? Anyone?
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:36:58 AM

This post is not about specific characters or themes. This is about set specific gameplay overtones.

Many sets have a specific (by design or by coincidence) gameplay overtone. Some examples:

Set 11 - Anti outactivate-and-smash (Odan-Urr, Queen Aminoa, Son of Skywalker, etc)
Set 10 - Build synergy with subfactions (Mando Pilots, Lost Tribe, shamed ones, etc)
Set 9 - Uber tech (Yun Ne'shel Priest, Imp Governor, Gormak Bomb Disposal Expert, etc)
Set 8 - Cannons (Neo-Crsader Officer, Commando Droid Officer, ERC Boss, etc)

Anyway - you get the point.

I feel like what has been missing from our game for quite some time is the feeling of gameplay like it was early on. The feeling of having a big bad dude be able to wade into the fight and last a few rounds. And I'm not talking about doing it through means of a ton of saves. As fun as flipping a pack of quarters is, it's much more fun to have a game where aggressive action will result in actual damage, yet where the defender can take a bunch of hits and llive to be able to do something back. The issue is that we've been trying to solve the problem of skyrocketing damage through defensive abilities that avoid or prevent damage. This only encourages the cycle to continue. Abilities like evade, LS defense, damage reduction, etc are all fine, but they are not a complete solution. These abilities ultimately encourage increasing damage, and hiding more often.

What we need are abilities to cap damage.

Like the gameplay overtones in previous sets, it's not just a single ability. It's a number of SAs, FPs, and CEs spread throughout the set. Here are some examples:

(defensive)

Defusion Armor: Damage taken from non-adjacent attacks are reduced to 10 damage. This damage cannot be prevented or redirected.

Lightsaber Neutralization; Force 1: This turn, damage taken from attacks are reduced to 10 damage. This damage cannot be prevented or redirected.

CE: Enemy attacks are reduced to 10 damage, and cannot be prevented or redirected. Enemies gain twin attack.

(offensive)

Blaster Dispursion; replaces attacks: Attack the same enemy for exactly 10 damage 3 times. This damage cannot be prevented or redirected.

Damage capped: This characters damage may never increase for any reason. (Has double/twin, triple, etc)

CE: Allies attacks cannot be prevented or redirected. Allies attacks may not exceed 10 damage for any reason.

These are all rough drafts, and I'm sure they would need some tweaking. Considerations to prevent bodyguard abuse and use of spotter, etc would need to be taken into account. Obviously some could be very powerful, and would need to be costed accordingly.

The idea is the end result that there would be more legitimate fights in the game. Not due to a bunch of save rolls (or a lot of misses), but due to the fact that small ammounts of damage were slowly accumulating. No more hiding a figure out of fear that being exposed for a single phase would mean their death. There would be more action, and less frustration about positive aggressive action ammounting to nothing because of a bunch of saves. Go out and fight, do some damage, take some back, give back some more.

surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:50:49 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
The idea is the end result that there would be more legitimate fights in the game. Not due to a bunch of save rolls (or a lot of misses), but due to the fact that small ammounts of damage were slowly accumulating. No more hiding a figure out of fear that being exposed for a single phase would mean their death. There would be more action, and less frustration about positive aggressive action ammounting to nothing because of a bunch of saves. Go out and fight, do some damage, take some back, give back some more.

I don't think WOTC's idea was to create Tanks that could destroy the enemy wholesale or pieces (other than fodder) that could be taken out in one round. I agree we've taken things to the extreme; when Yoda can be blasted out of existence in one turn, its not really Star Wars anymore ....

But can it be done through new pieces or is this more of a rules change? Limiting the number of Unique pieces that can be deployed as an example? A different question for a different thread.

Maybe we should just stick to what abilities/powers are needed as opposed to characters (your original intent here) because other than Lily's droid request and more sub-factions, its all unique's and I'd rather have non-uniques be more a target, personally.
donnyrides
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2016 12:38:02 PM

Vsets are really about the wow-factor pieces. Damage is wow-factor. Same as NBA basketball and American Football have had rules changes that make it easier to score points.

I understand what you are saying TimmerB123 but damage capping kills the idea of getting away from swarms and puts us back to 40 battle droids with triple twin. If a melee guy such as Mace LotLS is capped at 10 damage a hit, it's crippling. 30 damage a turn from a 65 point piece? I can get that from a minmaxed 4 point battle droid.

I think what has happened is that we are peaked out at "Wow-factor". There is no where left to go short of a new faction. Any more powerful than what is already around is going to be too much and any more defensive than what is already around is going to take too long to play.

So, what is the answer? perhaps it's just more formats to limit certain things. I think this can be done with a group of seasoned players building some new formats and also building restrictions per format. The all melee vassal matches looked like it was a lot of fun. That sort of thing is just the tip of the iceberg.

The game can stay fresh without new cards, it just needs a new gameplay twist. Maybe Vsets should come down to 10 figs per set to keep the ideas savored more.

MTG keeps on spitting out new stuff because it's about money and they thrive on making old sets obsolete. With V-sets the goal is never to obsolete things, but to make bad WotC pieces better and to keep the meta from becoming stagnate.

I think between the WotC pieces and all the vsets, we have access to everything we could ever need. Are we just chasing a higher high? Looking for the next minis drug to get our next fix?

The game is great as is, we just have to suggest different ways to play it.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2016 1:00:58 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
What we need are abilities to cap damage.

The Warrior Caste Subcommander makes this pretty tricky, any changes like this just make him better. I like the ideas, just think he makes it very difficult.