RegisterDonateLogin

Rakghouls: "All your Ugnaughts are belong to us."

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

The gowk healing thread Options
Xeonaught
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:28:33 AM
Groups: Member

alot has been said agianst certain bloo milk users but i think that it is time we got over our pitty sqwabbles and started realising that we came to this site because its the best swm site on the web, not to argue about gowk.

he is banned in dci. its not the end of the world. its not the end of swm as we know it. its time we got over ourselves and start rembering the first game that relly got us into the passion. when it didnt matter if your squad was one faction because all you had was a luke and a few storm troopers or that you had read and memerised all the rules and you just moved and roled the dice. think back to why we fell in love with the game. post your comments if you want i dont relly care i just wanted to have my say.
Durge Dude
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:36:10 AM

I'm for getting over it. I remember the first time I played. I used a 3 person Mando squad.
strate_jakit
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:54:48 AM

i never cared that gowk was banned, what bugged me was that anytime someone said that gowk shouldn't be banned everyone jumped all over them trying use anything as an excuse to say how stupid the anti-banners are. if you disagree with this post ignore it, i'm not going to argue with you about it

dnemiller
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 5:16:13 AM

strate_jakit wrote:
i never cared that gowk was banned, what bugged me was that anytime someone said that gowk shouldn't be banned everyone jumped all over them trying use anything as an excuse to say how stupid the anti-banners are. if you disagree with this post ignore it, i'm not going to argue with you about it

Let me see how does this work.

You post Gowk is simple and easy to beat and should not be banned. Nothing more than that.... No, hey I did the math and it really isnt that hard. Or I playtested and found this squad beats it almost every time.

So then people ask you for some evidence based on the above things mentioned.

Your response.... name calling.

That is way to handle a discussion. I am guessing you are younger so I am going to give you some advice as I am older. When an argument is not going your way in a face to face situation dont resort to name calling unless you are fully aware of who and what type of person you are dealing with.

If you are looking for someone to crucify for the Gowk ban then here I am. I wrote the floor rules so blame me.

I will say again I did not take it lightly. I have worked on this for months. I have playtested and consulted the best competitive players on this planet for their opinions on this matter. I asked for their math, insights, playtesting and proposals. You know what they responded. Banning was not the thing I wanted to do. I would prefer it not be necessary (yes I said necessary). But I have spent months working on this. So when someone tells me Gowk is simple to beat after my months of work. I dont want to read it.... I want you to show me how easy it is. I have a good grasp of this game so I need to be taught how easy it is like a 5 year old child. Banning became the solution because I have a knowledge of how things work within Wizards after being the Content Manager for over 2 years. I knew that there would be no errata. Plus I cannot force an errata.

Everyone has such a better solution than mine.... well good for you. Tell me how you plan to get it implemented. That is right because at this point you cant (I am not saying that to be rude to you but merely stating a fact.) Why did I consult the best players in the game? Two reasons: One they understood the competitive game and all that goes with a figure like Gowk. Two they understand that errata will not be an availible option to fixing him.... in other words I dont have to be a broken record player saying "I am sorry that is not an option" (like I have over 40 times on different forums).

So here I am.... BLame me.... Hate me.... whatever you want to do.

But before you act holier than thou... and start calling names...

Ask yourself... what did I contribute to help with this matter or with Star Wars Miniatures in general. I was not born the SWM DCI Content Manager. I got the position because I was busy always trying to make the game better by talking to the people that actually make decisions. I did not spend a lot of time calling people names that did make the decisions.
darth_grievous
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 5:34:07 AM

i thought you were supposed to ignore the post if you wanted to argue. are you trying to get stratejakit back into this or are you just naturally an ass. i've read his post on why gowk didn't need to be banned, he did playtest teams against and listed about 5teams he won with on average, you did just admit to not reading anything about gowk being beaten though so it doesn't surprise me that you skipped over that part. pay attention to what you read, he never blamed you or called you names in any of the posts i've read, unless "i've beaten you before" is insulting to you
strate_jakit
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 5:39:27 AM

o my god, is it possible not to argue evrytime gowk is mentionedAngry
dnemiller
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 5:42:12 AM

darth_grievous wrote:
i thought you were supposed to ignore the post if you wanted to argue. are you trying to get stratejakit back into this or are you just naturally an ass. i've read his post on why gowk didn't need to be banned, he did playtest teams against and listed about 5teams he won with on average, you did just admit to not reading anything about gowk being beaten though so it doesn't surprise me that you skipped over that part. pay attention to what you read, he never blamed you or called you names in any of the posts i've read, unless "i've beaten you before" is insulting to you

Yes I am naturally an ass.....

By the way try reading more than one thread. He has called names so have several folks that dont like the decision.

By the way He did not beat me or Bill but we had a good laugh about that claim. But then again that is really what this all has denegerated into. Anyone can make any outlandish claim they want and if happens to be on your side of the argument then it must be true.

That is why we always stood by the math in the matter. Please have some get me past 98.5% success rate on avoiding damage.

Yes and the squad he won with have been tested so there was nothing new there.

SO yes I am an ass and whiner....

funny how in my post I didn't call anyone any names.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 5:42:59 AM

Xeonaught wrote:
alot has been said agianst sertain bloo milk users but i think that it is time we got over our pitty sqwabbles and started realising that we came to this site because its the best swm site on the web no to argue about gowk.

he is banned in dci. its not the end of the world. its not the end of swm as we know it. its time we got over ourselves and start rembering the first game that relly got us into the passion. when it didnt matter if your squad was one faction because all you had was a luke and a few storm troopers or that you had read and memerised all the rules and you just moved and roled the dice. think back to why we fell in love with the game. post your comments if you want i dont relly care i just wanted to have my say.

My first tourny I played in was the LOTF release, and I didn't know any of the characters, another tourny I ran an Uggies squad.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 5:46:29 AM

darth_grievous wrote:

Ok I have to disagree with that, if he was what you called him, do you think he could have gotten the job as DCI content manager, and if this is just a mistake he made, thats 1 mistake so far, I think he has done a pretty dang good job.
strate_jakit
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 5:47:31 AM

my first game was when rebel storm was the only pack out, just luke, rebel and some trooper guys, i didn't even have enough people to make a onehundred point squad

my first tourney was cotf release and i used a squad with maul and some other guys i don't remember

and miller i'd really prefer not to bring this up but what name did i ever calling anyone. i said whiner earlier today but i did also state in a later post that i was making a joke, i had thought that was obvious when i said it
Gemini1179
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 7:39:52 AM

I thought this was supposed to be a thread of healing? ThumbsUp

My first game was with the ROTS starter and I remember my Obi, JM dominating my opponents Grievous, although at the time I thought Lightsaber Assault was the silliest power... I mean, I already could make 2 attacks... RollEyes
luke hates thrawn
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 8:04:41 AM

Ok people this is called the GOWK Healing thread, NOT the I WANNA COME OVER TO THIS THREAD AND CARRY ON TALKING ABOUT PLAYTESTING AND NAMECALLING STUPID STUFF LIKE THAT.

Once GOWK is gone I hope we can all put everything about him behind us...I've never seen hostilites like this before GOWK and now on every forum it's like this.

Lets Heart each other, and Bomb GOWK.

Now lets get back on topic

My first DCI game...I got beaten easy! I played a bunch of unique rebels against a Storm-Swarm. ThumbDown
Doogle126
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 8:09:21 AM

luke hates thrawn wrote:
Ok people this is called the GOWK Healing thread, NOT the I WANNA COME OVER TO THIS THREAD AND CARRY ON TALKING ABOUT PLAYTESTING AND NAMECALLING STUPID STUFF LIKE THAT.

Once GOWK is gone I hope we can all put everything about him behind us...I've never seen hostilites like this before GOWK and now on every forum it's like this.

Lets Heart each other, and Bomb GOWK.

Now lets get back on topic

My first DCI game...I got beaten easy! I played a bunch of unique rebels against a Storm-Swarm. ThumbDown

Lol, i can see why that is ur username then XD Pm me, maybe we can play on vassel sometime
TK-4334
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 8:19:30 AM

My first Squad contains General Grievous, SC and al lot of Super Battle Droids and an MTB. What i didn´t know ist that MTB has an must effect and not an may ... :D
So i was easy to beat. My opponents had just to wait.

The ban of Gowk is ok for me, but i think Dodonna must be the next one. Crying
Doogle126
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 8:25:59 AM

TK-4334 wrote:

nah, hes really easy to kill, so i dont think it will be a problem
TK-4334
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 8:47:41 AM

Doogle126 wrote:
TK-4334 wrote:

nah, hes really easy to kill, so i dont think it will be a problem

i won´t diskuss it here, but he is all mighty and he isn´t easy to kill because he stands in a litte quarter in a little corner. :)

-back to topic-
kezzamachine
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 3:49:29 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I remember when we first started, Sharron, Xeonaught, Kay and myself had a bunch of small things (Duros - ha!) and only three big folk - Vader Dark Jedi, a AT-ST and Han in Stormie Gear - and we had to roll to see who got the big guys! Haha...
Xeonaught
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:02:43 PM

kezz your forgetin boba fett
yodaccm
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 5:16:19 PM

My first game I played GOWK...no, just kidding.

But to ask people what they have contributed to SWM regarding this issue or in general isn't fair. I payed $10 or whatever the starter set cost to get that fig. Plus everything else I've spent on boosters, cases, etc. Everyone who plays this game contributes.

I think it is amazing what one little piece of plastic and a cheap paperboard card can do to an entire community of people. Imagine if we took the energy and time poured into this controversy and applied it to real world matters that actually mean something.

I think that is what GOWK would have really wanted.
kezzamachine
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 9:07:48 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Oh yeah... Fett too! The four of us would play and we'd shuffle the cards and play what was dealt. Ha! that was awesome fun... about 40 minis between 4 of us... Usually, whoever drew Vader won! Oh man... we didn't know anything then...

...probably still don't now!