RegisterDonateLogin

Is a Sith legend.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Best Counters To Vong Options
Caedus
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2016 9:48:11 AM
Groups: Member

DarthMaim wrote:
So just reinforcing my post, the Indiana Regional had 9 participants, and Vong placed 2nd and 6th, with the 6th place guy being a 12 yr old! ( See Below )

1. Jason Skybuck w/ Marn
2. Mike Nom Amor Executor BB
3. Les Double Lancer
4. Laura Cinn & Serra w/Marn
5. Greg Vader Lothal, Sid SM, Boba AfH
6. Dillon (12 yo. kid) Quoreal & BB
7. Shawn Vader Lothal, Sideous SM,
8. Randy GOWK & 501st
9. Bryan Vader Lothal w/ Nightsisters

As you all can see, Mike's Nom Squad, placed ahead of Les's "Double Lancer" and Laura's Cinn & Serra w/ Marn squad.

The Vong are here folks, and are a Force "Immunity" to reckon with!

I'm not sure if you are insinuating that Force Immunity is the problem? Honestly curious, not trying to be a Jack -hole. Force immunity is definitely not their problem, IMO. Cost, coupled with Aggressive Neg and Unpreventable damage, seems to be the concern at the events I've been to this year. They are a problem as they are, but I think an adjustment to cost can solve a lot of their problem with minimal interference. That's just me though
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2016 9:58:20 AM

Echo24 wrote:
urbanjedi wrote:
DAniel wasn't much older when he won.

Hey, I had just turned 22! I was having drinks at Hooters the night before and everything.

... so the secret to winning is drinking at Hooters the night before? No Wonder I roll like crap!!

Hey Waitress, Please bring me a Round! ThumbsUp
DarthMaim
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2016 11:10:53 AM

Caedus wrote:
DarthMaim wrote:
So just reinforcing my post, the Indiana Regional had 9 participants, and Vong placed 2nd and 6th, with the 6th place guy being a 12 yr old! ( See Below )

1. Jason Skybuck w/ Marn
2. Mike Nom Amor Executor BB
3. Les Double Lancer
4. Laura Cinn & Serra w/Marn
5. Greg Vader Lothal, Sid SM, Boba AfH
6. Dillon (12 yo. kid) Quoreal & BB
7. Shawn Vader Lothal, Sideous SM,
8. Randy GOWK & 501st
9. Bryan Vader Lothal w/ Nightsisters

As you all can see, Mike's Nom Squad, placed ahead of Les's "Double Lancer" and Laura's Cinn & Serra w/ Marn squad.

The Vong are here folks, and are a Force "Immunity" to reckon with!

I'm not sure if you are insinuating that Force Immunity is the problem? Honestly curious, not trying to be a Jack -hole. Force immunity is definitely not their problem, IMO. Cost, coupled with Aggressive Neg and Unpreventable damage, seems to be the concern at the events I've been to this year. They are a problem as they are, but I think an adjustment to cost can solve a lot of their problem with minimal interference. That's just me though

I was typing/thinking tongue and cheek, bro. Tongue . Since you are addressing it here, I will comment. If you had read at the beginning of the post, my opinion was on the Lah Warriors costing 10pts. I agree with TimmerB123 from the "any more ideas for the balance committee?" post in "SWM General" section, quoting him where he stated " The core issue is the undercosted Warriors. He just gives them another ridiculously good tool. I feel like you should have to build one way or the other, not get the best of both worlds. Honestly the Lah warriors are worse overall. They should cost 14pts."

Remember to a few of you guys, the title of this post is "Best Counters To Vong" Smile

@Caedus. A word to the wise, if you ever are thinking, "I'm not sure if you are.....", you should stop right there. Chances are, it's probably not what the person was thinking! With that being said, I do agree with your take on the cost, AN, and unpreventable damage, in the Vong faction.
gholli69
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2016 12:08:05 PM

Just to clarify, Dillon is my son and will be 14 on Jun. 27th so not 12. However, he has also played and practiced with his vong squad for months before the regional so not surprised that he did as well as he did against some stiff competition. I will say on the issue of vong counters, Marn hierogryph seems to be a really strong counter to the blastbug squad type as he allows you to use their own tricks against them. In fact, I didn't fully understand how Marn worked before the Indiana regional. I had never really seen him used for much except stealing activations before then, but now think that Marn is really quite good! I think maybe the Lab warriors are OK where they are cost wise if maybe the wording on blastbug CE was changed so that the recipient must be named yv warrior instead of name contains warrior, as I think the purely charging version of the lah warrior squad is tough but not unwinnable for a lot of squads and I do think a competitive going squad or two isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just my two cents anyway!
DarkDracul
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2016 1:32:37 PM

gholli69 wrote:
Just to clarify, Dillon is my son and will be 14 on Jun. 27th so not 12. However, he has also played and practiced with his vong squad for months before the regional so not surprised that he did as well as he did against some stiff competition. I will say on the issue of vong counters, Marn hierogryph seems to be a really strong counter to the blastbug squad type as he allows you to use their own tricks against them. In fact, I didn't fully understand how Marn worked before the Indiana regional. I had never really seen him used for much except stealing activations before then, but now think that Marn is really quite good! I think maybe the Lab warriors are OK where they are cost wise if maybe the wording on blastbug CE was changed so that the recipient must be named yv warrior instead of name contains warrior, as I think the purely charging version of the lah warrior squad is tough but not unwinnable for a lot of squads and I do think a competitive going squad or two isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just my two cents anyway!

Yeah Mike said he was like 12 or 13... pretty much the same to me at my age. lol
Dillon obviously knows how to run the squad. Congrats to him for doing so well against such stiff competition!

I think an important point to make is that Marn doesn't counter the Vong by himself. You can't just plug Marn into any squad and expect to be able to compete against the Vong. The rest of the squad needs to be up to the task and you need to play well.

So far the only squads using Marn that have defeated the Vong I've seen are Cinn & Serra and Skybuck.
Both have nice board movement and are reliable at killing Lah Warriors. I think other factions using Marn would need similar capabilities.

I totally agree, the Domain Lah Warriors squads are Tier 1 without having Blast Bug. Personally, I think the Lah Warriors should cost 14 points and you still can build a Tier 1 squad with them. The suggestion to make Warrior Caste Subcommander CE named YVW does fix things well.
Caedus
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2016 2:15:04 PM

DarthMaim wrote:

@Caedus. A word to the wise, if you ever are thinking, "I'm not sure if you are.....", you should stop right there. Chances are, it's probably not what the person was thinking! With that being said, I do agree with your take on the cost, AN, and unpreventable damage, in the Vong faction.

First off, I say what is on my mind, when its on my mind. It's your fault you got all butt hurt when I asked you a Question. I meant nothing by it when I asked. I was indeed curious as to what your actual position on the matter was. Since "Chances are", I was actually trying to start what could have been a great conversation. With that being said. Thanks and have a great day, bro.ThumpUp
DarthMaim
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2016 3:29:17 PM

Caedus wrote:
DarthMaim wrote:

First off, I say what is on my mind, when its on my mind. It's your fault you got all butt hurt when I asked you a Question. I meant nothing by it when I asked. I was indeed curious as to what your actual position on the matter was. Since "Chances are", I was actually trying to start what could have been a great conversation. With that being said. Thanks and have a great day, bro.ThumpUp

Crying