RegisterDonateLogin

Will consume you, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Balance Team Pieces Brainstorm Options
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 5:37:44 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Echo24 wrote:
DarthMaim wrote:
Cassus fett wrote:
Could be wrong but wasn't it agreed Marn wasn't and issue? Same with TK-421?

+1.

To make balance committee changes, shoudn't there be considerable community chatter about Npe's in multiple games, regionals, and GenCon? I don't/didn't hear any concrete game experieces that can possibly lead to changing these pieces. I'm hearing 1 or 2 people complaining about these minis. So basically, TK neuters Talon squads, and Marn counters Vong and Sideous/Lothal squads ????????? Come on..............I'm hearing way more people complaining about these squads, then with these minis that peops didn't even play with @ GenCon.............."these aren't the droids you're looking for.......move along"

Agreed. Lots of squads have counters, I really hope we don't go down the path of changing every piece that nerfs a certain squad type. Errata makes games more difficult to play and more difficult to get into (you have to remember the rules, the pieces, and this list of changes to your pieces that aren't on the cards), so they really shouldn't be taken lightly or done when there aren't even a whole lot of complaints or impact.

+3.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 6:59:28 AM
Groups: Member

UrbanShmi wrote:
Echo24 wrote:
DarthMaim wrote:
Cassus fett wrote:

+1.

To make balance committee changes, shoudn't there be considerable community chatter about Npe's in multiple games, regionals, and GenCon? I don't/didn't hear any concrete game experieces that can possibly lead to changing these pieces. I'm hearing 1 or 2 people complaining about these minis. So basically, TK neuters Talon squads, and Marn counters Vong and Sideous/Lothal squads ????????? Come on..............I'm hearing way more people complaining about these squads, then with these minis that peops didn't even play with @ GenCon.............."these aren't the droids you're looking for.......move along"

Agreed. Lots of squads have counters, I really hope we don't go down the path of changing every piece that nerfs a certain squad type. Errata makes games more difficult to play and more difficult to get into (you have to remember the rules, the pieces, and this list of changes to your pieces that aren't on the cards), so they really shouldn't be taken lightly or done when there aren't even a whole lot of complaints or impact.

+3.

I think we should take into consideration top players concerns even if they are the only ones concerned.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:09:58 AM

RE: TK.

Not really sure why designers would purposely give an easy counter to neuter the core of any competitive all Fringe squad. Especially when it is so easy to pull off with Pellaeon.

Honestly, it doesn't really effect me directly. I'm not personally crying for fringe. I'm actually coming at it from the opposite viewpoint. This is a piece that I was planning on using at GenCon. As in, I have a custom that I brought, ready to swap him in, but never needed to.

It's not just a squad type it badly hurts. It's an entire faction.

Show me an all fringe squad where it doesn't hurt it pretty badly, and you'll also be showing me a squad that can't compete in the meta.

I was prepared to use it. I think it's abusive. I think it has the potential to keep all fringe from being played virtually at all in competitive tournaments. It contributed to it this year.

If I'm alone in thinking this, then it's fine. One less thing to worry about facing.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:22:31 AM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:
Echo24 wrote:
DarthMaim wrote:
Cassus fett wrote:

+1.

+3.

I think we should take into consideration top players concerns even if they are the only ones concerned.

Are Echo and I not top players? I made 4 top fours this year. I was also one of the pioneers of the Fringe Talon squads. If I had wanted to play that this year, I would have. The version I like I think is not quite good enough and I haven't come up with anything I like better. TK is annoying, but by itself would not prevent me from playing it.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:41:25 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:
Echo24 wrote:
DarthMaim wrote:
Cassus fett wrote:

+1.

+3.

Are Echo and I not top players? I made 4 top fours this year. I was also one of the pioneers of the Fringe Talon squads. If I had wanted to play that this year, I would have. The version I like I think is not quite good enough and I haven't come up with anything I like better. TK is annoying, but by itself would not prevent me from playing it.

I would most definitely consider you guys top tier... not sure why that was brought up.... but what I am saying is if a top tier player is concerned it should warrant at least a look and actual discussions, not saying a change HAS to be made, but at least entertained.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:43:00 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:
Echo24 wrote:
DarthMaim wrote:
Cassus fett wrote:

+1.

+3.

Just reading what he wrote it looks like he's saying any top player bringing up CONCERNS should be considered. No mention of those wanting not to make changes good or bad.

Honestly - it's fine if I am alone in this. I honestly believe it is the duty of any competitive player (especially a designer) to call out what they find abusive, especially if they would play it themselves (as opposed to complaining that they would have to play against it). Jason suggesting to Brad to drop certain maps because his double Lancer would abuse them is a prime example of fulfilling that duty. I have taken that step. My conscience is clear now - I have said my piece.

Moving on
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:43:19 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:

Not really sure why designers would purposely give an easy counter to neuter the core of any competitive all Fringe squad. Especially when it is so easy to pull off with Pellaeon.

Honestly, it doesn't really effect me directly. I'm not personally crying for fringe. I'm actually coming at it from the opposite viewpoint. This is a piece that I was planning on using at GenCon. As in, I have a custom that I brought, ready to swap him in, but never needed to.

Show me an all fringe squad where it doesn't hurt it pretty badly, and you'll also be showing me a squad that can't compete in the meta.

I was prepared to use it. I think it's abusive. I think it has the potential to keep all fringe from being played virtually at all in competitive tournaments. It contributed to it this year.

If I'm alone in thinking this, then it's fine. One less thing to worry about facing.

anything that does this should be looked at closely.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:45:32 AM

Yeah, okay, my bad. Of course concerns should be considered, but the fact that one or two people are concerned doesn't necessarily mean changes should happen. Seems like we're on the same page, then.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:47:15 AM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

anything that does this should be looked at closely.

Agreed, if it's shown that it did that. Didn't really figure into my decision.
Naarkon
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:52:03 AM

Just thought I'd add my two cents to the discussion. I'm a pretty casual player. I've gone to two regionals, and had a blast both times, but never came close to finishing in the top four. For you who have been playing for a while maybe TK-421 doesn't seem that bad, but he singlehandedly kept me from playing fringe at the last WI regional. I knew Imps were pretty popular because of Palps and VoL, so why in the world would I take the risk of losing my entire squads reason for existence? As it turns out, three or four people brought Imperials (no clue if any had ways of bringing in TK-421).

Like I said, maybe he's really not that bad, but he seemed bad enough to me that there was absolutely no chance that I was going to risk that the one time a year that I get to play at a regional would be half auto-losses.

Like I said, I'm a pretty casual player but I keep up with the competetive scene. Maybe the reason that TK-421 hasn't made an impact is because almost no one will even take the risk of running Fringe with him available to an already powerful faction.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:03:08 AM

As a primary designer on TK-421... oops.

It was intended to be primarily a casual piece that people would find amusing. That mark seems to have been missed, since no one seems amused. During design, there was concern whether it would be playable at all (even casually), given that you give away a piece that is stronger than the one you start with. Messing with Talon squads was intentional (as its only role in a competitive game), but the thought was that getting Luke out of it would be some compensation so it's not the end of the world.

Looking back, I would have designed it differently but I don't think it rises to the point of needing errata for several reasons.
* There hasn't been any complaint from Talon players or players who wanted to play Talon but aren't just because of TK-421. Tim said he wouldn't play Talon, but he probably wouldn't have anyway. Errata should only be used for serious problems. This looks like a minor problem. (ETA: Ha! As I am writing this Naarkon posts his message above to make this bullet no longer true.)
* Most squads have bad match-ups. This seems to just be a bad match-up for a Talon squad. Not even an auto-loss.
* If the Fringe player kills TK-421, the Imperial player is then in the same situation the Fringe player started with. The Fringe player doesn't want to kill gambit-getting TK-421 because it negates the +4/+10 and Ysalamiri. The Imperial player doesn't want to kill gambit-getting Luke Stormie because it would give back the +4/+10 and Ysalamiri.
* For each of the primary Imperial builds, something mitigates TK-421's impact on the Fringe player:
--- For Daala squads, you might as well kill TK-421. You're shooting troopers, so you probably don't need the +4,+10, and you definitely don't need Ysalamiri.
--- For Sidious/Lothal or swap squads (Black & Blue or Tim's GenCon squad), TK-421 has almost no boosts. You can probably ignore him since he isn't boosted and isn't doing serious damage.

Still, based on the number of comments it received it is worth having the balance team discuss it.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:04:45 AM

Not going to quote the whole post, but I think Naarkon's point is a fair one. I would say, I was one of those Vader squads, but I was not playing Sid, and could not have brought in TK.

I think it's important to differentiate real threats from perceived ones, although the perception is powerful and can certainly have a chilling effect.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:11:16 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:

* There hasn't been any complaint from Talon players or players who wanted to play Talon but aren't just because of TK-421. Tim said he wouldn't play Talon, but he probably wouldn't have anyway. Errata should only be used for serious problems. This looks like a minor problem.

Probably true with me, but . . .

Naarkon wrote:
Just thought I'd add my two cents to the discussion. I'm a pretty casual player. I've gone to two regionals, and had a blast both times, but never came close to finishing in the top four. For you who have been playing for a while maybe TK-421 doesn't seem that bad, but he singlehandedly kept me from playing fringe at the last WI regional. I knew Imps were pretty popular because of Palps and VoL, so why in the world would I take the risk of losing my entire squads reason for existence? As it turns out, three or four people brought Imperials (no clue if any had ways of bringing in TK-421).

Like I said, maybe he's really not that bad, but he seemed bad enough to me that there was absolutely no chance that I was going to risk that the one time a year that I get to play at a regional would be half auto-losses.

Like I said, I'm a pretty casual player but I keep up with the competetive scene. Maybe the reason that TK-421 hasn't made an impact is because almost no one will even take the risk of running Fringe with him available to an already powerful faction.

(edit - TJ was making the correction as I posted this)

FlyingArrow wrote:

The Imperial player doesn't want to kill gambit-getting Luke Stormie because it would give back the +4/+10 and Ysalamiri.

I thought there was a ruling that once a character is on your squad, it is always considered a part of it, even after death. So you'd lose the bonus for good.

FlyingArrow wrote:

--- For . . . Tim's GenCon squad, TK-421 has almost no boosts. You can probably ignore him since he isn't boosted and isn't doing serious damage.

Opportunist? Beyond that, the biggest thing is him being a swapper. You almost certainly out-activate as an imperial, so you can trot him up to something important, swap in, attack, win init and swap back. Rinse and repeat.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:12:35 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
Not going to quote the whole post, but I think Naarkon's point is a fair one. I would say, I was one of those Vader squads, but I was not playing Sid, and could not have brought in TK.

I think it's important to differentiate real threats from perceived ones, although the perception is powerful and can certainly have a chilling effect.

If perceived threat changes the meta in a bad way - then that is significant. Hamstringing an entire faction is bad.
DarkDracul
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:22:14 AM

The cost of Domain Lah Warrior is the most important change that must happen IMO. Domain Lah Warriors should be 14pts.
Squads of only 6-8 warriors already compete at top levels without Blast Bug and don't need such a heavy rock buster.
If Lah warriors cost 14 points players could still build the top vong squads... or maybe even bother trying Vong Unique characters.

We don't need squads of 9+ Warriors with 40HP, VCA7, and Speed 8 all gaining Blast Bug!
Compare the 10pt Domain Shai Warrior to the 15pt Domain Carr Warrior and see that the 10pt Domain Lah Warrior is significantly under cost.

The balance team should also discuss the Warrior Caste Subcommander and Yun-Ne'Shel Priest.
Vong can already be strong against beefy Melee, do they need to be able to bring Warrior Caste (the best rock busting ability in the game) in through reinforcements? The Priest making the Yuuzhan Vong Ossus Protector a bodygaurd with VCA7 with Avoid Defeat (save 7) is ridiculous too.

I welcome any balance team member who wants a better grasp on the concern to contact me for a discussion or game on vassel.

Thanks dudes!
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:34:03 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:

If perceived threat changes the meta in a bad way - then that is significant. Hamstringing an entire faction is bad.

Yep. That's the "chilling effect" I was talking about. Didn't chill me, but did chill Naarkon
. More information needed?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:48:21 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:

FlyingArrow wrote:

The Imperial player doesn't want to kill gambit-getting Luke Stormie because it would give back the +4/+10 and Ysalamiri.

I thought there was a ruling that once a character is on your squad, it is always considered a part of it, even after death. So you'd lose the bonus for good.

This is, quite frankly, a rules mess.

For the purposes of Unique, defeated characers are still in your squad. You can't bring in another version of the same character with Reserves even if your first one died.

For the purposes of Black Sun, they are still in your squad. You still get Grenades if your Vigo is defeated.

For the purposes of Talon and Specialization, your squad no longer contains them when they're defeated.

Apparently, a defeated piece "is in the same squad" (Black Sun wording) but your squad doesn't "contain" them (Talon's wording on both My Pets from Myrkr and CE). If your head just exploded, I'm on your side. I complained about it when I learned about it. I'll see if I can google up the ruling.
DarthMaim
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:51:55 AM

Couldn't disagree more that TK means an auto loss for Talon. I'm not a Talon expert by any means or stretch, so maybe my opinion isn't the best??????? I will say that with all the shooter hate out there now, that I would think that Talon has some other real/valid/imminent problems other than TK. ( IMHO Cool )

What about hearing from the guys that have been successful with Talon like Darth Jim, and some of the top Talon squad players???????

If I was Talon player and TK was there bothering me, I would ignore him, use my disruptive to keep the Imperial player from swapping him out ( TK loses Opportunist-doing a measely 10 dmg ), and concentrate on destroying pertinent destructive minis that can powerfully kill my dudes. Talon's got a lot of tricks up his sleeve, especially seeing what Darth Jim can do with him ThumbsUp

TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:53:46 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

FlyingArrow wrote:

For the purposes of Unique, defeated characers are still in your squad. You can't bring in another version of the same character with Reserves even if your first one died.

For the purposes of Black Sun, they are still in your squad. You still get Grenades if your Vigo is defeated.

For the purposes of Talon and Specialization, your squad no longer contains them when they're defeated.

Apparently, a defeated piece "is in the same squad" (Black Sun wording) but your squad doesn't "contain" them (Talon's wording on both My Pets from Myrkr and CE). If your head just exploded, I'm on your side. I complained about it when I learned about it. I'll see if I can google up the ruling.

OK - That's good actually. It's not quite as bad as I thought. But I still think it's worth considering.
Might actually do some PTing on this
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:57:25 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

FlyingArrow wrote:

I actually thought the same as Tim, that once you lost the bonus you couldn't get it back. Very similar to how I believe prideful works that if you get a guy who costs more (ie quinlin) you lose it and can't get it back.

I have actually asked around (I don't think I have ever gotten an official response) on how Specialization works.