RegisterDonateLogin

Mine! Or I will help you not!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Questions about Spotter & Combined Fire Options
Maul-Ordo
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 11:27:08 PM
Groups: Member

How much is Spotter used by players? Is it one of those SAs that was only effective back in the day when the game was newer and now has kinda become obsolete OR it is something still used often and still a popular strategic offense with today's gaming?

Kinda seems like a difficult tactic to pull off having to place your Spotter so close to your target, kinda making it easy for your opponent to nail the Spotter that you just placed 6 squares away from him. Just kinda curious on some thoughts on what the success rate is with being able to pull off hitting your opponent using Spotter.
jak
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 6:37:10 AM

I combine fire alot, however, I've never used spotter, ever!
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 12:18:44 PM

The V-sets made Advanced Spotter, which doesn't have to be within 6 squares, and is much more useful. Spotter is way too hard to pull off most of the time, although I have used it on this guy: http://www.bloomilk.com/Character/1742/voort--piggy--sabinring--wraith-squadron-ace
jak
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 12:58:23 PM

TheHutts wrote:
The V-sets made Advanced Spotter, which doesn't have to be within 6 squares, and is much more useful. Spotter is way too hard to pull off most of the time, although I have used it on this guy: http://www.bloomilk.com/Character/1742/voort--piggy--sabinring--wraith-squadron-ace

where can I find this SA?Blink
juice man
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 1:13:08 PM

Is it perhaps "Improved Spotter"?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 1:20:04 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

jak wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

where can I find this SA?Blink

It's on the BX Commando Droid Spotter.
donnyrides
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 2:18:56 PM

I don't think they stack though. So Spotter 10, Spotter 20, Improved Spotter, you have to pick one of them, but you can combine fire for the attack bonus though.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 2:54:46 PM

Sorry, I meant Improved in my original post.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 3:53:56 PM

Also, Spotter 30 on Garindan did see some play at GenCon 2010, IIRC. Someone used Lobot to bring him in as a reinforcement in some matchups to combine fire with Mara Jade Jedi.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 3:53:46 PM

It was key to Deri's 2013 squad. Destroyed several good squads easily.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/131935/just-the-spot--of-ackbar-

It lost to lancer in the semi finals.

If you want to use spotter, Ackbar is your Admiral.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:33:03 PM

Improved Spotter and Spotter stack but two instances of Spotter do not stack.
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:58:10 PM

Spotter gives me a hard time. Because I see it as the ability of the actual spotter not the ability of the shooter so I don't understand why multiple spotter 20 don't stack. But on the other hand you can't have two of the same named ability trigger for the same character. But then I think of improved spotter and regular spotter as being part of the same ability family so they can't stack. But on the other hand Cleve and rolling Cleve can stack so I'm very confused. I guess you just have to go back to the basics and if they have different names then they can stack just if they have a different Stat impovements they don't stack. Such as cunning 10 and cunning 20 or in this case spotter 10 and spotter 20.
Echo24
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 5:04:03 PM

donnyrides wrote:
Spotter gives me a hard time. Because I see it as the ability of the actual spotter not the ability of the shooter so I don't understand why multiple spotter 20 don't stack. But on the other hand you can't have two of the same named ability trigger for the same character. But then I think of improved spotter and regular spotter as being part of the same ability family so they can't stack. But on the other hand Cleve and rolling Cleve can stack so I'm very confused. I guess you just have to go back to the basics and if they have different names then they can stack just if they have a different Stat impovements they don't stack. Such as cunning 10 and cunning 20 or in this case spotter 10 and spotter 20.

Logical inconsistencies in the rules??? Why, I never! Flapper

You're right, it's just something you gotta remember. The difference between spotter 10 vs spotter 20 and spotter vs improved spotter really should have been defined better by WotC.
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 9:28:03 PM

Echo24 wrote:
donnyrides wrote:

Logical inconsistencies in the rules??? Why, I never! Flapper

You're right, it's just something you gotta remember. The difference between spotter 10 vs spotter 20 and spotter vs improved spotter really should have been defined better by WotC.

More like Improved/Advanced "X" should've been defined by the V-Set team to count as "X" for stacking purposes.Wink