RegisterDonateLogin

Legacy of the Bloo Side.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Help with Custom Big War Gameplay ideas? Options
BZNintendo
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 2:57:08 PM
Groups: Member

Hello,
this is my first time posting on here as I recently just got into collecting Star Wars Miniatures and want to recreate my favorite wars from the Star Wars Movies I saw when I was little.

So far I've managed to buy everything I need to recreate he Battle of Geonosis where the Grand clone army fights the Droid army.

Here is a picture of my figures for the fight: http://imgur.com/6V0WF32

Now I want to be able to make this into a game I can play with my friends but after reading up on how the official Star Wars Miniature game plays I feel like it is too slow and wont work for this kind of situation.

There are tons of figures so the battle system is too slow that it will take hours to fully eliminate an opponent's entire army.
Also there are a ton of figures that are the same like the same 30 clone troopers and 30 battle droids and keeping tract of each one with their cards would be too messy as one could take damage but then that figure moves across the board and we forget which exact figure had the damage.

So I'm currently trying to come up with my own rules while still borrowing a few rules from the official game. So for example one rule I came up with to solve the same figure problem is to have it so when two figures battle, both players roll a 6 sided die and whoever has the highest number wins and the loser's figure is eliminated from the game.

For more important and stronger figures like the Jedi Masters and Destroyer Droids I plan to use their cards but only for the HP aspect as well as their special abilities as long as it doesn't do anything too complicated or need the full rules to work.
So for these figures for example when a Jedi Master fights a normal battle droid, again both roll a 6 sided die and if the droid rolls a higher number then they inflict that much damage to the jedi and the Jedi takes that damage in their stat card and the game continues. For example if the droid rolled a 6 and the Jedi player rolled a 4 then the Jedi player takes 60 damage and the droid lives.

I know I'm making it very simplified but I'm just trying to make it very easy for my friends to get into because they have never touched or even know anything about miniatures and want quick fast games but also with big armies.

I would appreciate some feedback and let me know if you like the idea or if there is a better way to improve my custom rules. I've already made this post massive so I won't go into more detail about how I would make some other figures work like the big Hailfire droids unless asked in the comments. Thanks for reading this far if you did.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 5:22:58 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

A long time ago I came up with this ruleset:

http://www.bloomilk.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=9909

I never even playtested it, but I thought it was worth a link if only to help you with brainstorming.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 6:52:05 PM

This is an intriguing thread - thanks for sharing.

there's a few options for large-scale recreation using SWMinis;
SW-W40K,
GOBS, (Outrageously Oversized Land Battles variant)
and the earlier SWRPG Saga ruleset had provisions for squad stats.

this also allows for things such as moral tests, unit-cohesion and faction rules.
D20 Modern is also a great framework,
and Lead-Adventure.de has some great guides for large scale recreations.

if you want to use SWMinis rules as much as possible,
you can use color-coded die and unit movement trays or color ring markers for the different units.
this also helps to play "Star Wars 40K in 40Mins" mode,
also known as SW:KillTeam.

good luck running the large-scale event,
and hopefully it is a fun event for all involved.

I'll be looking forward to a play-report or further posts from you about how mass-battles and large-scale recreations can be improved hehe BigGrin
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 1:00:54 AM

I would also recommend just trying it in mass battle mode using standard rules and just the troopers and battle droids for a quicker version as they are all one shot-one kill and will go down pretty quick. Then you can have one or two hero units per side and use them normally. Alternatively break it into smaller battles and have the clones versus droids, heavy's versus each other and force users dueling destroyers/dooku.

If you really want fast and simple then just play Star Wars risk and use the pieces as representatives of 1, 5, and 10. But I honestly think you and your friends may enjoy just two massive swarms trading shots too
Chris L
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 11:27:26 AM

West End Games Star Wars Miniatures Battles is larger scale conflict. You'd need to adapt the stats for the prequels, though, as the game predates them. The PDF can sometimes be found online. The real live copy is always on eBay.
blemelisk
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 12:25:03 PM

Id honestly play a few regular games first before you do something on this scale. see how the rules and the game plays then adopt rules to allow for faster games on this scale. The suggestions made above are great ones. But a 200 point game could take an hour or more, and what you are looking at there looks to be at least 300 (depending on the rules for the AT TEs. What time frames are you hoping to finish this game? Have the others that are joining you ever played the game before?

I for one prefer the game with house rules on a 4x8 table with 40k etc type terrain on it.

Rules for commander affect ranges vary, but can be simply be board wide, or could require those subject to them to be within 1.5 inches of each other. another general rule for such a game for me is, if A can target B with an attack then B can attack A (not withstanding stealth and other special abilities).

Granades can be thrown up to 12 inches, etc etc. just changes that would make sense. Even terrain destruction rules can be put into place.

When in a game like this, with or without special rules, when a ruling can go either way, someone pick odds or evens, and roll a d20. makes it go faster without having to dig into the errata/rules looking up judgement online etc.

Lastly, I hope you and those that join you have an amazing time!
gholli69
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 3:08:39 PM

I know that for the last couple of years there has been a geonosis mass battle scenario run at GenCon, not sure on how long it typically too to play out, but I'm thinking like 2 hours or so. I believe Les Eller (leshippy) on here was one of the ones running it if you want to try and send him a bloomail he may have more info. I do know they have a really cool Hurst arts terrain Geonosis Arena built to use in the scenario.
leshippy
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 5:14:46 AM

Great questions. Let's start out by first realizing that it is a mass battle and it is going to take hours to play. I just came off the Indiana Regional and a standard 200 point build was taking well over an hour to play and those came down to points figure out a winner.

At the bottom, I have included a link to the PDF of the rules set that I use at GenCon. it is a 4 hour time slot and we use it all. Now you could make the rules simpler but even sometimes those mass battles take just as long.

My crew has been running this for probably 8 years and we have learned a bit along the way. First limit the number of rounds. Also have winning conditions that players are striving for. Not trying to kill everything will help the game play a bit faster.

Here are a few things you need to figure out.
How accurate do you want it to be?
Is your scale right? The walkers look a bit smaller then they should be.
Balance, this is tough to figure out.

Once you figure that all out, playtest, playtest, playtest. My Geonosis battle was tested and discussed for two years before we took it to GenCon.

Good Luck

Once you figure it out, then comes terrain.

Link to PDF on Facebook