RegisterDonateLogin

Yub, yub!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Why NR isnt so amazing Options
death by wookie 89
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 4:09:53 AM
Groups: Member

I know alot of people think NR has gotten way too powerful but thats only jedi NR has almost no shooters create a mobile squad and chances are youll win there is also fringe but that can only do so much. These are my thoughts.
xx carna6e xx
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 4:46:50 AM

death by wookie 89 wrote:
I know alot of people think NR has gotten way too powerful but thats only jedi NR has almost no shooters create a mobile squad and chances are youll win there is also fringe but that can only do so much. These are my thoughts.

general wedge antilles helps against shooters alot, and when the jedi get up close, shooters die fast
Zombieboy
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 4:50:47 AM

with the addition of the Antarian Ranger,Yuuzan Vong Ossus Guardian and Kol Skywalker NR got a big boost and became a big time competetor
Dr. Destructo
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 5:21:53 AM

don't forget that one of the best NR Jedi, Mara Jade Jedi, doesn't have melee attack, so if need be she can be an effective shooter too, especially with Wedge to give her Evade/Mobile.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 5:53:29 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I agree with the OP that the shooters that are actually IN the NR faction are a bit wanting, but with Gen. Wedge and the new Leia they are more usable. Still, as is there are better options outside of the faction...
strate_jakit
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:05:35 AM

shooters aren't really that big an issue with mara jedi, antarian rangers, and all the fringe shooters
bigbro911
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:21:59 AM

I would have to agree with the shooters mentioned (Mara Jedi, Rangers) and add Han GH (plus any Han brought in by Jaina). Also, giving Aurra Sing Evade and Mobile with Wedge makes for a great combo (makes baby Boba better too). If you are not using Wedge, Boba Enforcer is a great pick for the points and already has Evade and Mobile built in. Kel Dors are good additions for the points too.

Many options make the NR a great faction!

And while an argument could be made that fringe are available to every faction, they don't have the same usefullness in each faction. For example, I can add fringe to my Mandos, but Mando CE's only work on other Mandos (not counting conscription). NR CE's apply to all folowers/allies.
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 7:38:44 AM

I am not convinced that any of the new NR figures makes a top tier 150 squad. 200 they are fine and can compete well enough, but I would say, 95% of the squads I am seeing are spending way too many points on CEs. For example, the idea of running Wedge and Leia is great and all, but it's 50pts. Its not a smart investment and generally, you would be better off focusing on one or the other alone, especially when everyone also wants to run Dodonna, Luke FS, an override piece, etc.
Omnus
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 7:58:23 AM

I think Kol Skywalker is probably the only one who will make it 150. Although the Exceptional Jedi Apprentice might be nice aswell. Not sure if I prefer him and a cammasi or kyp and an uggie. Talon Karde and a Camaasi may be a nice option with Mara + Kol + wedge
thodafett
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:26:34 AM

The game has well moved past 150 pt matches in non tournament play with nearly 800 miniatures wanting a turn to play. Granted 150 is still the Gencon goers point total and focus and the die hard tournament players point choice, but I have found 200 pt to 250 pt games to be the most enjoyable in our group. You could argue the 150 is more challenging based on having less room for tech pieces and commanders and would be right. For the more causal player 200 seems just about right. You do have to watch "CE" abuse, it is more obvious the higher pointed match you play. I feel Kol can be very playable in tier 1 NR squads at 150 with the proper support, but I don't have a squad to back it up with yet. Some fringers may be needed, i will continue to play around with it to see what I can come up with.
greentime
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:55:24 AM

Kyle Katarn, Battlemaster is just an incredibly good piece. As long as he and Wedge are around NR is going to be able to put a good squad on the table. I agree that JA did not make them dramatically better (like the way Sith got dramatically better), but they were also a lot better to start with. An Ossus Guardian might take the place of Kyp in the standard build now that direct damage is less of a need in a GOWK-less meta. You could also run a swell shooter hate squad with three guardians, Leia, and Wedge. Of course once the mouse droids/Leia die it isn't as good, but rerolling evades and crabs would be very annoying to Dash and friends.
saeseetiin
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 11:09:18 AM

billiv15 wrote:
I am not convinced that any of the new NR figures makes a top tier 150 squad. 200 they are fine and can compete well enough, but I would say, 95% of the squads I am seeing are spending way too many points on CEs. For example, the idea of running Wedge and Leia is great and all, but it's 50pts. Its not a smart investment and generally, you would be better off focusing on one or the other alone, especially when everyone also wants to run Dodonna, Luke FS, an override piece, etc.
Hey Bill what do you think of this squad at 150 pts http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/View.aspx?ID=47410
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 5:42:07 PM

saeseetiin wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
Hey Bill what do you think of this squad at 150 pts http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/View.aspx?ID=47410

Average at best. Too many points on commanders, which is exactly what I was warning people about ironically.
Mickey
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:43:43 AM

The Rangers I think are a good addition for a shooter. GMLS is just awesome. So far seeing him play he is really tough. At 150 it's too hard to pull off but at 200 I can see him competing.

I do agree the formats are evolving. Anything less than 200 is getting mundane. Hitting 200+ matches is bringing in alot of variations to the squad builds. I would argue that the 200 pt squad is more challenging because you have more options to worry about going into the match to face. The smaller the squad the less imaginative the build. Also the larger the squad the more important the gambit making your strategy more important on the play. At 100 pts you can plan to kill their squad. At 200 you have to plan to kill for points.
DarthReeves
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2009 4:03:57 AM

If I may: Jaina bringing in Han in trooper armor is 50 points exactly. 150 or 200 pt squads now get Jedi who run 12 and hit you. I think charging fire is one of the best CE's in the game. It is hardly ever used, and so when it IS used, your opponent has no idea how to deal with it. Jaina, Han in Trooper, and two Ossus Guardians are 102 points. You run an ossus 12 with twin and it's a sure bet that their force users will fall pretty quickly. Plenty of room for the kyps, Jacens, Anakins, and Leia Skywalkers to hop in as well. I think Han trooper coming in makes the NR a very formidable faction.
klecser
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2009 4:31:19 AM

I definitely thinkt his has a shot. Kol is definitely competitive at 150.

Mara Jedi 45
Wedge 23
Kol 38
Dodonna 9
Leia 25
Mouse 3
Ug X2 6

150, 8 act.

Leia is not your typical "commander" She isn't useless offensively like so many others.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2009 5:02:56 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Wedge isn't useless offensively either.
kenred2
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2009 5:31:35 AM

For 150pts... NR has a lot of great gears, but most of which have moderately low attack. Which is tough to make NR "top tier." The best NR squad I can come up with competitively is: Solo Smasher.
turkveal
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:00:03 AM

i really enjoy NR at 150. mara, jedi is still a great piece. kyle, battlemaster, Kol, and kyp all great. the new leia is my favorite fig from the new set and wedge is prefect for letting all those jedi get in close. at 150 your have to think when using NR you can't just throw a squad together but still very playable.
billiv15
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:02:22 AM

klecser wrote:
I definitely thinkt his has a shot. Kol is definitely competitive at 150.

Mara Jedi 45
Wedge 23
Kol 38
Dodonna 9
Leia 25
Mouse 3
Ug X2 6

150, 8 act.

Leia is not your typical "commander" She isn't useless offensively like so many others.

I don't think its "top tier" which is what I said above. Is it good enough to compete at most lgs', sure. Is it good enough to be played at Gencon for maybe a .500 record, probably. Is it good enough to win at the top tables, I don't believe it is.

So yes, if we are using the general term of "competitive" then yes, I agree with you, this is competitive. My comment was 150pts top tier, and this won't be it.