RegisterDonateLogin

I'm a Toydarian. Mind tricks don't work on me. Only Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Playtesting, design, accountability, and future. Options
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 7:26:44 AM
Groups: Member

ahhhh nothing like a gift in my inbox to come home to. I have no idea who was involved in this conversation, nor does it matter, and I hope it doesn't cause problems, but we have an issue:

I appreciate this conversation and hope it spurs community involvement in playtesting. V-set pieces are under design for nearly a year, if such feedback were given during that time something might been done. Designers are begging for your help so Regionals/ Gencon do not become playtest grounds for their designs. [/quote]

Yes. Please consider playtesting so that future pieces that you think are overpowered or unthematic don't slip through.[/quote]

This is one of the things that burns me. How over powered 3720 to 1 was brought up on several occasions from play tests.

"We talked about this peice afterwards and we both agreed that the 3721-1 ability needs to be less broken. Right now granting Cloaked to the entire squad is extremely powerful. We both think that if it was reduced to just one person getting Cloaked, then it'd be balanced and not overpowered. This ability essentially nullified the shooters in my squad for a good couple rounds."

This is a conversation to be had out in the open in my opinion, and I have some suggestions for the community:

1. reduce the size of sets.... again. We shouldn't be releasing ANY pieces that have not been properly playtested and if reducing the sizes again helps it should happen.

2. when you do get playtest responses actually listen to them, it appears some of this could have been avoided had this happened.

3. playtesters actually try to break the squads you are testing. it seems kind of ridiculous that the father appears, and maybe I am wrong, to have come out without any type of hey what about this dude, with gowk, cin, etc?

4. community we have to start doing our share on playtesting. heck even I came out and tested for the designers when I was asked to do so.

5. at this point EVERYTHING should be considered for competitive play, that is all that should be left and accounted for, mainly because these are the people doing the work now and that is who should be catered to.

6. have an open discussion about other possible fixes, some things that have been kicked around----- cutting some of the sets out completely, rotate what is legal from time to time, find ways to engage other players, etc.

SithBot
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 8:07:44 AM

The whole idea of what should be rotated in and out is a tough discussion. It would probably need heavy play testing to see who could come up with what. Maybe even a hierarchy of power pieces or power combos and their counters being made to see the effects of dropping possible counters on the meta.

Butt I agree that we need to do our share, myself included. But right now I don't really play, I am writing the design a week things jen'ari introduced me to.

I used to play with him quite a bit, but he got super busy...

Maybe I will see what I can do...

But, I would like to add that design should not be on the particular peace, design should be made to build a squad. If you want a certain ability in the game what effect does it have in this squad, should be the question and than you add it to fifteen Squad types
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 8:10:09 AM

design should only be viewed in turns of what happens in the squad, never individually.
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 9:48:06 AM

This emphasizes our requests for more community involvement in playtesting. Yes, designers have a difficult time giving up on a vision for a piece they've worked on for months just because 1 or 2 playtesters didn't like it. More voices are needed to help us see what direction is needed.

1. The game is complex and our players are pros at breaking stuff. So no matter how few pieces we make it's to be expected for broken stuff to happen.

2. Each year we invite players to join our PT committee and community PT groups. We usually get a handful of community playtesters and 2-3 regular playtesters. It's simply not true that designers should always listen to playtesters . . . playtesters can be wrong. We need a wider range of playtests and oppinons.

3. The Father was playtested with Gowk and the Father was decreased in power. Unfortunately, there were not a lot of follow up playtests to be had. We just need more people to help with playtesting.

4. Yes, there's a problem if we don't listen after multiple playtesters telling us they don't like something.

5. 100% agreed.

6. It's called the Balance Committee.

It doesn't matter how frequently you play or if you have 0 play group, we would love your feedback.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 10:06:03 AM

While playtesters can be wrong it is better to err on the side,of,caution when concerns are brought up the, it is to have an entire season dominated by something then,send it the balance committee after,months of arguing on the forums.

Number of pieces does matter if you only make 20 it cuts down on what the playtesters have to do it,also cuts,down on,the,amount of possible interactions everyone has to look at considering the sheer number of pieces available.

Basically cutting the numbers down allows more focus on pieces instead of yep it was tested,once in,one squad and it,seems good let,me move on because we have 40 other pieces to look at.

Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 10:31:11 AM

I would also add that when playtesters try telling you something is broken.... c3p0 and you ignore it, and then it comes out that the piece is a problem for a lot of the players that are left, it really creates a feeling of told you so, and why do I even bother when they didn't listen in the first place... i'd suggest being careful ignoring the whims of playtesters when they are straight saying something is broken
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 12:33:18 PM

And C-3PO I agree could be looked at but the father I stand by that he's nowhere near broken. At best he's barely competitive just on sheer surprise factor alone. But a three activation force rock team that actually isn't a great force rock... yeah that one is fine. Hahaha. But agreed about playtesting. Unfortunately this year sucks for me being in school so minimal games for me
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 12:38:23 PM

I've generally found the designers have been pretty responsive to concerns. I don't have that many concerns about the process - I think the lack of play-testers is the biggest issue. Ian and I have done a big chunk of testing for the last few sets, which isn't healthy; other people need to be doing more.

I also don't think you have a right to complain about the testing process if you haven't been testing. If you want to help, spend time testing, not complaining.
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 12:46:22 PM

And again, we hit the circle. We need more play testers. We need more input.... But Playtesters are not always listened to or valued.

I use to play test all the time for the V-sets. But... Designers would literally not listen to anything we said. We were always met with. "Its not competitive."

I hate to beat a dead horse after its died, but we predicted Critdu winning GenCOn, and all I had to do was LOOK at the stats he had, what he could go in with, and I saw enough. And if you don't think Mace was an issue, please go look how much "Melee hate" came out in the next 2 sets.

But you hit the nail on the head. Designers don't like to be told they are wrong. They don't like to hear their "baby" is to good and needs to be changed.

Its an endless battle. But honestly, some pieces DON'T need play testing. Sometimes you can look, and go, "Man, you know, that could be an issue, lets go ahead and change some things so it doesn't get out of hand."

As usual this will end with your input is valuable, and as usual, play testers will not be listened to because whoever designed the piece is in love with it to much.

That should be on your V-Set application. " Are you willing to completely redesign a piece because its to good" and " "will you value all feedback given to you and actually listen"
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 12:47:51 PM

shmi15 wrote:
I use to play test all the time for the V-sets. But... Designers would literally not listen to anything we said. We were always met with. "Its not competitive."

I hate to beat a dead horse after its died, but we predicted Critdu winning GenCOn, and all I had to do was LOOK at the stats he had, what he could go in with, and I saw enough. And if you don't think Mace was an issue, please go look how much "Melee hate" came out in the next 2 sets.

You're talking about the process in 2011. It's different in 2017.

I also like what someone said on SHNN once - that it's not helpful having play-testers who act like designers in the team. Pieces generally shouldn't need completely reworking - it should just be a case of changing cost, or fine tuning Special Abilities/Stats etc. It doesn't help to send stuff back to the drawing board as it just holds things up.

Quote:

I certainly don't think it was inevitable that Mace was going to win GenCon in 2012 - there were plenty of things that could have won. He struggles against a lot of good shooter squads - Thrawn/Cad Bane or Naboo Pilots were both good squads in 2012, and both deal with Mace pretty easily in my experience.
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 1:18:56 PM

Lets see... Since 2011, what pieces have came out that were to OP? I can think of Daala right off the bat, Who needed 0 playtesting and just a passing glance to say, this is to powerful. This new 3PO, which apparently people said the same thing we use to say and no one listened.. The Zygerian Slavers, another piece that could've used 0 playtesting, and just a look at that says, man thats not a good idea... The Klat Assassin, I actually am not sure when he came out, but come on, are you going to argue that piece couldn't of just been looked at and changed? I'm sure there are more pieces I have missed, but those are just off the top of my head.

And as far as arguing that Mace had counters during his time.... He did, and he defeated all of them on his way to a GenCon title. If you don't believe me, go back and look at who he beat. He beat Naboo Death Shots. He beat a NR Corran Horn army, by 1 Riposte, which resulted in 3 Crits that dropped a Full HP CH.

I understand you guys don't like to be wrong. But sometimes you are. Mace Windu was a problematic piece that was ignored during play testing.

And I agree with the Father CURRENTLY not being broken... But, he hinders ALL future Force USERS.

As does 3PO with future Rebel pieces gaining cloak now.

Are you guys wanting input or are you just wanting to tell us we are wrong? I'm so confused
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 2:31:01 PM

TheHutts wrote:
I've generally found the designers have been pretty responsive to concerns. I don't have that many concerns about the process - I think the lack of play-testers is the biggest issue. Ian and I have done a big chunk of testing for the last few sets, which isn't healthy; other people need to be doing more.

I also don't think you have a right to complain about the testing process if you haven't been testing. If you want to help, spend time testing, not complaining.

literally started this with a quote of an active playtester being ignored about something that is clearly an issue.......

I find the idea that all playtesters should do is say if the cost is right a little bit crazy. I am not saying that playtesters should say, hey try this stat block, but they most definitely should be able to say hey this ability sucks and needs to be cut or nerfed or changed completely, and should be able to give ideas about the ability that seems to be the issue.

its not an attack these are just observations. I quit playtesting and left the game pretty much altogether because of the way playtesters were being ignored during the time I was doing it.

That being said, I was asked directly by someone I respect in the realm of minis to please playtest some pieces so I did, and if they need more in the future they can always ask again.

**** GUYS WE DO NEED MORE PEOPLE TO COMMIT TO PLAYTESTING ****
surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 2:56:06 PM

One of the problems with playtesting is, frankly, time. I teach, had the whole of last summer off, I had an old friend visiting the neighborhood, next thing you know I play tested 6-7 pieces (and you Have to play test the same piece multiple times to make sure something was not a glitch but indeed the way it'll act in a game.) Then summer ended, life in more ways than one hit and I think I've played one Game since October.

I'd love to playtest more and in a month I may actually have time .... and I assume that is one of the multiple resasons why testers are hard to come by.

I also think the V-Setters listen to the feedback. Ian and I had the same comments about a few pices and I Think they were fixed in the final versions Cool
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 4:27:36 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
literally started this with a quote of an active playtester being ignored about something that is clearly an issue.......

Yes, and if that active playtester had started this thread, I would listen because I respect that they've put the work in. When it comes from you guys, who weren't involved, it just feels like stirring.

Quote:
I find the idea that all playtesters should do is say if the cost is right a little bit crazy. I am not saying that playtesters should say, hey try this stat block, but they most definitely should be able to say hey this ability sucks and needs to be cut or nerfed or changed completely, and should be able to give ideas about the ability that seems to be the issue.

Yes, changes to Special Abilities are fine. I had the impression from the SHNN episode that there were instances of play-testers suggesting complete reworkings of pieces with completely new stat blocks. I don't think testers should be advocating major changes in most cases, as that's not testing, that's designing.

shmi15 wrote:
And as far as arguing that Mace had counters during his time.... He did, and he defeated all of them on his way to a GenCon title. If you don't believe me, go back and look at who he beat. He beat Naboo Death Shots. He beat a NR Corran Horn army, by 1 Riposte, which resulted in 3 Crits that dropped a Full HP CH.

I mentioned Naboo Pilots, not Troopers. I think there were major counters to Mace in the meta, he was just lucky and didn't have to face them that year. I don't think he was so strong that he was inevitably going to win.

SithBot
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 4:50:58 PM

oh thehutts...

Continually turning people off from being around who are trying to be helpful...

Will you ever learn?

hahaha this is awesome.

You do know that, like it or not, the TN play group, who used to be massive, (I was around when they where very active) is responsible for some of the major overhauls in design policy, philosophy, the balance committee, errata's, and a decently balanced current game right?

Now that the game is returning to being fun you see them coming back and being active.

Deaths_baine is actively playtesting
Some of them put in to be designers
Jen'ari plays in skirmishes and vassal and has been doing the design thing every week
I have been doing the design thing every week and am thinking of ways to make time to playtest
even Shmi_15 stil gets on here.

5 people... that likes add 10% of the population haha

So when the people who have been around for so long and are still trying to help, try to help you should not put your foot in your mouth.

towards the discussion

I feel that playtesters are a vital and important part of the design process. I watched the Legends pieces come together and I saw all the designers and play testers cracking down on each other hardcore about others designs. I am talking 8 pages long of discussion about one ability on one character. Needless to say the first set had one piece that was deemed too powerful and the rest of the sets had none. Mostly because they hammed on each other about every possibility.
If someone had a claim that was not able to come to a conclusion, it was tested on the spot, both playtester and the designer that was making the claim that it was not too powerful. If discussion couldn't prove it than the game would.

I remember saying that the Vader was too powerful and the designer said "show me" and we set up a match and duked it out. After playing, I no longer felt it was too powerful.
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 5:03:09 PM

@ TheHutts

1. We were play testers, heavily involved in play testing and regionals. Then our voices were not heard, but were met with content because designers feelings were getting hurt when we let them know something was wrong.

2.Whats the point of having play testers, if you guys think your designs are good enough that they only need a recost?they tried everyway possible to negate

3. You can say all you want that Mace wasn't an issue. But the facts are there, his damage potential was outrageous, He fit perfectly with GOWK, (which he was never tested with by the way, because it was immediately after this set, Soresu Style was changed, because Darth Zannah was released) and he had R2 to help him nuke other pieces, and a fantastic shooter with Rex.

Either I'm blind, or thats a pretty nasty combo. And again, he beat every squad people said he would have issues with. Go look at his play reports of the squads he faced. He beat atleast 1 squad people said would be an "auto loss". and at a minimum 1 squad that was a bad match up, but I'm feeling more like 2.

As far as stirring the pot, you can call it what you would like. People don't like to be criticized openly and I understand that. But thats also part of the issue. No designer takes criticism well of their pieces. For Gods sake I remember the Vehicles being released and fighting tooth and nail to get some things changed.

So how does it get resolved? Thats the real issue right? How do you mend the scar tissue of Designers not wanting their babies to be changed, and getting more people to playtest?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 5:17:12 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Threepio had 6 playtests from 4 different groups. Changes were made in response to the play tests. The one you quoted was the only one to suggest a problem with 3720 to 1. More tests would have been helpful. If we had three groups saying to drop an ability, it wouldn't make it through.

The Father was weakened considerably due to play testing. More play testing would have been helpful.
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 5:37:51 PM

Quick question about 3PO.... Did any of the designers on the team that he was released see an issue with handing Cloak out to every character? Did any of them raise any concerns at all? Or did all the designers like it?

This is a real question, not stirring the pot up.. Just curious if any designer looked at him and thought anything was wrong with it?
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 5:48:25 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Threepio had 6 playtests from 4 different groups. Changes were made in response to the play tests. The one you quoted was the only one to suggest a problem with 3720 to 1. More tests would have been helpful. If we had three groups saying to drop an ability, it wouldn't make it through.

The Father was weakened considerably due to play testing. More play testing would have been helpful.

Awesome information thank you. I would suggest a committee inside the playtest groups that are handed any complaints at all that come up in playtesting and that committee play tests those,concerns directly, and if they feel like the concern is warranted then more emphasis should be placed on that piece or ability.
Cassus fett
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 6:05:23 PM

SithBot wrote:
oh thehutts...

Continually turning people off from being around who are trying to be helpful...

Will you ever learn?

hahaha this is awesome.

You do know that, like it or not, the TN play group, who used to be massive, (I was around when they where very active) is responsible for some of the major overhauls in design policy, philosophy, the balance committee, errata's, and a decently balanced current game right?

Now that the game is returning to being fun you see them coming back and being active.

Deaths_baine is actively playtesting
Some of them put in to be designers
Jen'ari plays in skirmishes and vassal and has been doing the design thing every week
I have been doing the design thing every week and am thinking of ways to make time to playtest
even Shmi_15 stil gets on here.

5 people... that likes add 10% of the population haha

So when the people who have been around for so long and are still trying to help, try to help you should not put your foot in your mouth.

towards the discussion

I feel that playtesters are a vital and important part of the design process. I watched the Legends pieces come together and I saw all the designers and play testers cracking down on each other hardcore about others designs. I am talking 8 pages long of discussion about one ability on one character. Needless to say the first set had one piece that was deemed too powerful and the rest of the sets had none. Mostly because they hammed on each other about every possibility.
If someone had a claim that was not able to come to a conclusion, it was tested on the spot, both playtester and the designer that was making the claim that it was not too powerful. If discussion couldn't prove it than the game would.

I remember saying that the Vader was too powerful and the designer said "show me" and we set up a match and duked it out. After playing, I no longer felt it was too powerful.

Ok well allow me to mediate here. Theā€¦ personal attacks are a bit much. I would advocate not continuing down that path. It is petty and beneath our community (however small it is). However you make a valid point, play testers should be listened to, and there should be the "hammering, 8-page spread discussions". However play testers should "know their place" if you will. Your job is /not/ to redesign the character wholly, it is to play test the character. You can suggest edits however you should not be sending back a "here is my redesign that would work better". Now designers, listen to your playtesters, if they are telling you something is toxic and needs a look then take a look at it. I know it sucks to have someone tell you that the piece you've put a lot of work into needs to be checked over again and possibly changed. I've made enough custom characters and had the conversations enough times. But understand its not an attack against you. Its constructive criticism, its not someone trying to destroy your work. Its someone trying to make sure /your/ piece won't be chopped up by the balance committee in 5 months and turned into something unrecognizable. The same thing you're scared will happen. Our community is small, we need to pull together, not seperate ourselves by arguing and insulting each other over these issues. We already have the people who refuse to use V-Sets (and that's their choice) we don't need to give them anymore reasons not to check them out by acting like toxic bratty children. I know I don't usually speak up a lot on the forums, but when I see stuff like this it gets me heated. We pull together, or we fall Apart.