RegisterDonateLogin

Green pee.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Crowd Fighting Options
Caedus
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 2:01:57 PM
Groups: Member

Is Crowd Fighting an adjacent only Ability? Example Kanan Jarrus has Crown fighting. He targets an enemy 6 squares away. he has 3 allies adjacent. So, as the Ability and glossary reads,
Card Text

This character gets +2 Attack for every adjacent character other than its target

Glossary Text

This character gets a +2 bonus to Attack for every adjacent character other than its target. If the character can make more than one attack in a turn, calculate the bonus when you start each attack. For example, if the first attack gets a +16 bonus and defeats that opponent, the next attack will get only +14, and so on.

This means Kanan would get a +6 to attack against that enemy, correct? Doesn't seem right, but I just want clarification
Caedus
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 5:49:51 PM

Bump for reconsideration
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 6:05:21 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Hm. Kanan is the only shooter with Crowd Fighting. I'd always played that he does get the attack bonus when shooting. Thematically, it doesn't make sense, though.

On the other hand, I gues there is some ambiguity. Especially in the glossary it implies (but doesn't seem to state) that the target has to be adjacent.

WotC never ruled on it because they never had a shooter with the ability. Maybe swinefeld will chime in on this one.
DarkDracul
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 6:16:42 PM

Yes, let's get an official ruling here!
The issue has come up and players have been using it against non-adjacents.

Found this from digging design threads . . .
Swinefeld- "After considering the glossary/FAQ, it's not a loophole. CF would not apply vs non-adjacent targets.
The card text was not written with non-melee in mind, but the intent is definitely adjacent targets.

Yes, allies counting for the bonus is clarified in the FAQ, but I do think the glossary probably needs "adjacent" in it if pure shooters are going to have it. (I think the quirk was overlooked with Kanan since he has Lightsaber)
It was only ever on Shaak Ti (melee) during the WotC days."
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 6:48:23 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
Found this from digging design threads . . .
Swinefeld- "After considering the glossary/FAQ, it's not a loophole. CF would not apply vs non-adjacent targets.
The card text was not written with non-melee in mind, but the intent is definitely adjacent targets.

Thanks for that, Bryan!
kobayashimaru
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 6:49:30 PM

a good question!
some say that Crowd Fighting is a conditional modified by the Melee 'on card', such as by Melee Reach 2 or SA's & CE's that alter melee distance.
others say, Crowd fighting is strictly the default unmodified adjacent only.

Remember, the wording on the Stat Card trumps the Rulebook in terms of precedence.
whichever approach, consistency is the aim hehe.

consider the hypothetical -
a character has a lightwhip or whatever on the model, and "Melee Reach 2",
therefore, its "adjacent" range is ostensibly the melee reach 2 template, for the purposes of crowd fighting.

to consider another hypothetical:
If a non-melee character had Crowd Fighting, what range is crowd fighting applied to then?
only adjacent, and since it does not specify something explicitly like Melee Reach 2, then that's only 1 square?
or, as it's non-melee, would Crowd Fighting on a non-melee piece extend "adjacent" to mean, anything that the model can see and target in LoS?

and, one last hypothetical,
to do with the custom SA - Attack X, make 1 cumulative additional attack per adjacent character (enemies and allies alike).
If I attack an enemy, and defeat them... what happens to things like Attack X and Crowd Fighting?
is it a 'at any time floatingpoint variable" - If I defeat a character, do I lose the extra attack/s I would have gotten from Attack X, and the bonus from Crowd Fighting?
or, is it determined at a time before the attacks are made?
this does have counter-intuitive implications for targetting utility - attack the pieces earlier that are less likely to die first, and the ones that would die from the attack, last. sorta like Strafe Attack.
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 9:24:22 AM

Quote:
This character gets +2 Attack for every adjacent character other than its target

If you think about it, that implies the target is also adjacent.
Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 9:41:00 AM

swinefeld wrote:
Quote:

If you think about it, that implies the target is also adjacent.

That's why I wanted an official ruling. It would imply such, but for the fact that Kanan is a pure shooter and it doesn't actually say adjacent target.
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 11:07:31 AM

Fair enough. It's official.

Crowd Fighting bonuses only apply against adjacent targets.

will add FAQ and/or glossary clarification when I get a chance