RegisterDonateLogin

Has brought peace, freedom, and security to the new Empire.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

positivity only Options
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, June 5, 2017 10:59:38 AM
Groups: Member

well, I am normally the harbinger of disaster, the herald of destruction, and even sometimes called the omen of complaint so I figured why not start a topic where the only things in it are positive.

my thought is you pick a minis piece that you love to play with or that hold special meaning to you, and no one comments anything negative back, they respond in kind with their own favorite piece. I'll go first, my all time favorite minis piece is:

Han Solo, Galactic Hero 50
Hit Points:
Defense:
Attack:
Damage:
Special Abilities
Unique
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)
Cunning Attack (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Disruptive (Suppresses enemy commander effects within 6 squares)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Greater Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking. This character can make extra attacks even if he moves this turn, but he must make them all before resuming movement.)
Never Tell Me the Odds (Suppresses enemy special abilities that modify initiative)

I don't even know where to begin with my love for this character. I have had so many moments with him, the greatest being against my arch nemesis Bronson. He was completely destroying me with imps black and blue with nyna calixte adding the ten damage against stealth, he had already killed mara jade and ganner, when han could draw line of sight to a full hit point cad with no cover.... I rolled....20, he rolled his evade...failed....I roll again the slowest roll in the history of minis the dice must have rolled 1000 times and it landed on...20... again he fails the evade...dead cad, I had to jump and scream NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS!! this moment has defined so many other moments in my life, like when I won the fantasy football league I am in, and so many others.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, June 5, 2017 11:30:27 AM

Great idea!

Jensaarai Defender 45
HP: 90
Def: 21
Atk: 12
Dmg: 20

Melee Attack, Double Attack
Draw Fire
Force-Attuned Armor

Force 3
Lightsaber Precision
Lightsaber Deflect

This piece was my jam back in the day. He was the first beefy Force user I got. He's grossly overcosted, but he's so much fun to run in casual games. I also like his streamlined design: he's only got four abilities, but they're a nice package (Except Precision - EVERY time I use lightsaber precision, I miss Flapper).
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, June 5, 2017 11:40:15 AM

CorellianComedian wrote:
Great idea!

Jensaarai Defender 45
HP: 90
Def: 21
Atk: 12
Dmg: 20

Draw Fire
Force-Attuned Armor

Force 3
Lightsaber Precision
Lightsaber Deflect

This piece was my jam back in the day. He was the first beefy Force user I got. He's grossly overcosted, but he's so much fun to run in casual games. I also like his streamlined design: he's only got four abilities, but they're a nice package (Except Precision - EVERY time I use lightsaber precision, I miss Flapper).

plus the sculpt don't forget the scuplt
fingersandteeth
Posted: Monday, June 5, 2017 7:29:29 PM

Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando 27
Counts As: Luke Skywalker
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 18
Attack: 8
Damage: 20

Unique
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Cunning Attack (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Djem So Style (Whenever this character is hit by a melee attack, make a save of 11. On a success, this character can make an immediate attack against that attacker.)
Greater Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking. This character can make extra attacks even if he moves this turn, but he must make them all before resuming movement.)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Force Powers
Force 4
Lightsaber Deflect (Force 1: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Levitation 1 (Force 1, replaces attacks: Move 1 Small or Medium ally within 6 squares to any unoccupied square within 6 squares. This move does not provoke attacks of opportunity.)

I think this is my favorite character in the game and probably always will be. The quintessential swiss-army knife. The corner stone of the most successful squad i've piloted and without doubt the most enjoyable piece in the squad. He begins the game as the real general, levitating and positioning sniper shots for your guns while advancing meticulously down the map opening options for further options or perhaps the final blow on a wounded foe. The 60 dmg double cunning is a nice 8 square killshot with djem so for added spice; possibly you activate it on an AoO, perhaps it gets you extra damage on a big foe or even stops a riposte because of fear of death. Lukes power lay in his potential to be over looked, putting big damage on Yobuck, snowspeeders and land speeders whilst the focused on Han, Leia or the ERC. Not exceptionally tough but with the right support evade and mettle can shore him against a significant ranged onslaught. Lastly, he is also not above being sacrificed. Diminutive enough that the squad can function in his absence. A timely kill on a bodyguard exposed luke to certain death, in doing so trapping the speeder to an ERC cannon shot that would doom the final competitor as Han, Leia and R2 finish.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, June 5, 2017 7:55:51 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
plus the sculpt don't forget the scuplt

Totally! People freak out when your eight-foot Jensaarai Defender is marching towards you!

Draw Fire + Evade + CE Rerolls were pretty great as well Razz
SithBot
Posted: Monday, June 5, 2017 8:00:52 PM

Imperial Governor Tarkin

Cost 22
HP 50
Defense 14
Attack 5
Damage 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Doctrine of Fear (Enemy characters within 6 squares get -4 Attack)
Commander Effect
Allied commanders within 6 squares gain Extra Attack.

My first army being http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/175974/genesis

Which I just named, I forget the original name.

Tarkin, the guy who could talk to Vader.. and Vader tolerated it.. awesome.

I loved running Vader into a room full of people and just going ham. Some great battles against my brother who thought his little rebel army could withstand Lord Vader backed by Tarkin.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:09:17 AM

what a neat idea for a thread.

Clone Strike Aurra Sing, Darth Maul or Darth Sid,
followed closely by the VSET errata'd Holosid,
these minis are just something special!

Stats wise, I keep coming back to Nahdar Vebb or Rorron Corrob though.
they're good fun and decent value.

It's fairly hard to go past a regular 3pt battledroid though BigGrin
cheap, able to send waves of them in the movement tray, and the Universe one has a neat
'helschimed' or 'damascus steel'/shindoku color scheme
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:23:58 AM

SithBot wrote:
Imperial Governor Tarkin

Cost 22
HP 50
Defense 14
Attack 5
Damage 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Doctrine of Fear (Enemy characters within 6 squares get -4 Attack)
Commander Effect
Allied commanders within 6 squares gain Extra Attack.

My first army being http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/175974/genesis

Which I just named, I forget the original name.

Tarkin, the guy who could talk to Vader.. and Vader tolerated it.. awesome.

I loved running Vader into a room full of people and just going ham. Some great battles against my brother who thought his little rebel army could withstand Lord Vader backed by Tarkin.

that was fun to watch, but it was legacy vader not lord vader bro
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 6:44:28 PM

As much as I want to give it to the exciting new Wheelbike upgrade (because best sculpt ever and finally playable) or the even more epic new Grievous Grievois, Unleashed. I really have to say:

General Grievous, Supreme Commander
HP100
Def 20
Atk 12
Dmg 20
Special Abilities
Unique
Cyborg (Counts as both a Droid and a non-Droid; living; subject to critical hits and commander effects)
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Force Powers
Force 1
Commander Effect
Droids are subject to these effects: Non-Unique Droid followers within 6 squares get +4 Attack and gain Double Attack.

Ah yes, the classic Supreme Commander has a special place in my heart. For so many years he led my droid forces well, and occasionally still pops up to cheaply boost some twin-attacking droids. At the time it was probably the best Commander effect out there too.

And my troop of choice, the swarm army of 3 point battle droids Koba mentioned. Great stuff
CorellianComedian
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 7:46:02 PM

Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master
120 HP
21 Def
+15 Atk
20 Dmg

Force 5
Lightsaber Assault
Lightsaber Deflect
Force Heal 20
CE: Allied Anakin within 6 squares gets +4 Attack.

This guy was the bomb when I first learned how to play minis. Lightsaber Assault was SUPER powerful, and those base stats are rock-solid even by today's standards. And, this guy put Grievous SC in the hospital every. single. time. Flapper
CorellianComedian
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 8:00:04 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
Lightsaber Assault was SUPER powerful

Come to think of it, remember the good ol' days when 40 damage on the move was really good?
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 8:02:13 PM

Captain Rex, 501st Commander.
Cost 41

Hit Points: 80
Defense: 16
Attack: 13
Damage: 30

Unique
Order 66
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Commander Effect
Allies with Order 66 that end their moves within 6 squares of this character can move 2 extra squares at the end of their turns.

How refreshing. Does what a shooter does best. In and Out.

My first real battle of me knowing how to play was against Kyle Katarn and his grenades. Captain Rex, the faithful was there on Theed popping around corners going to town with his two shots and popping back around. I loved flying over people to shoot who I wanted as well. He was an Imperial agent at this time. Using some Tarkin to grant him extra attack. So he was dropping 90 a hit. I loved my Vader with djem so and riposte as well with opportunist
We got the better of ol' Katarn this day.
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/176068/Edit
I used to discuss who was better Captain Rex, or Captain Rex, 51st. I was always a 51st guy because of flight and ability to be in Imperials. Obviously I am wrong, but I still prefer my 501st commander.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 8:26:44 PM

Rex 501st kinda got the short end of the stick from WotC. His CE isn't that great - which is no big deal, but it keeps him from getting Follower boosts. The Darth Vader in Masters of the Force has a CE that specifies NON-UNIQUE 501st.

They added 10 characters of text so that the one usable 501st piece doesn't actually get better.

*facepalm*
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 9:19:06 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master
120 HP
21 Def
+15 Atk
20 Dmg

Force 5
Lightsaber Assault
Lightsaber Deflect
Force Heal 20
CE: Allied Anakin within 6 squares gets +4 Attack.

This guy was the bomb when I first learned how to play minis. Lightsaber Assault was SUPER powerful, and those base stats are rock-solid even by today's standards. And, this guy put Grievous SC in the hospital every. single. time. Flapper

Hahaha one on one, usually. But when the general had his droid friends... hahaha. Remember when a Destroyer Droid actually struck some fear into the Jedi?
Boris
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 10:54:56 AM

For me it has always been Darth Vader, Champion of the Sith.

I will never forget the first time I won a tournament with him, back before the game had really started to take off. I can't remember all the figures, but it was a 200 pt. list that used him and Rebel Storm Palpatine with force users like Nightsister Sith Witches and Aurra Sing so that I could reroll an additional time when needed. We didn't have gambit back then, so I remember the build had something like 5 or 6 ugnaughts so that I could smash through doors to chase down the enemy figures. Good times.
dreadtech
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 3:53:05 PM

The original Thrawn,

I prefer republic or lightside factions with this one exception. Thrawn was my favourite character from the books and was overjoyed when we got a mini of him.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 6:06:46 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
my thought is you pick a minis piece that you love to play with or that hold special meaning to you, and no one comments anything negative back, they respond in kind with their own favorite piece.

I so wanted to test your resolve and name a Vong piece lol. Since, however, we feel similarly about purple pieces, I'll conform to your parameters and name one of my favorites:

Darth Vader, Scourge of the Jedi

Vader Scourge is my all time favorite Vader. Being able to Djem So AND Riposte in response to an attack with Jedi Hunter was awesome.He also had Lightsaber throw 2. He was in all of my early Thrawn swap squads, and was part of the squad when I won my first game against an upper level player, Ruhk. At 55 points, he had great offense and a 21 defense with Dark Armor. Unlike the higher priced Vaders, I didn't have to put all of my eggs in one basket with this guy. Even today if I was looking to put together an Imperial squad, I would give him a look.

Regarding Dreadtech's choice of the original Thrawn, I only went with the cheaper 32 point version because uniques could benefit from his CE. I loved the original Thrawn as well, and thought both versions represented Timothy Zahn's character well.

Kobayashimaru mentioned Clone Strike Aurra Sing, who once was well represented in the meta with all of those 'X Sings' squads. I still try to work her into squads, and she'll be in the Assassins game at GenCon as usual.
buttcabbge
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 7:39:46 PM

My choice is largely sentimental, since this unit was essential to me winning the Missouri regional way back in 2010, but anyway:

Elite Rebel Commando
Cost 16

Grenades 10 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 10 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Ion Gun +20 (+20 Damage against nonliving enemies)
Override (At the end of his turn, this character can designate 1 door that he can see as open or closed; it remains open or closed until the end of this character's next turn, or until he is defeated)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, he makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

I guess that I tend to like toolsy squads, by which I mean squads that don't do a ton of damage in one blow, but have lots of tricks, and this unit is pretty much the epitome of that. I also liked the sculpt compared to other non-unique trooper units.
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 10:17:26 AM

I love this thread. I can come on here and bring myself to my happy place.

I played Aleema Keto a lot the last two days.

She is in intriguing piece that is hard for me to figure out how to use. Very helpful in a lot of ways. Against some builds she is kind of harder to use but serves so many different purposes.

I have really enjoyed playing her. More than I thought I would.