RegisterDonateLogin

More ugnaught now than man.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Kyle Katarn, JBM? Not that good. Options
ewokballs88
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:06:02 PM
Groups: Member

Ok im srry but i dont see why people think that Kyle Katarn is a great piece when you can put in shado, now kol. Yes i know kyle has disruptive and that can help, but no defense. Dont get me wrong hes a great piece but why not save 16 points and get kol.
Here is my little evaluation of the two.

Kyle Kol
Pros Pros
disruptive Block
triple attack Motf 2
riposte Renewal

Good synergy: wedge for both but kol now has evade and block, all around defense.

Stats
Kyle Kol
+10 hp +1 defense
Kol wins cus he is 16 points less with almost identical stats

Special Abilities
both have duelist
kyle has disruptive so he wins SA, also grenades but will very rarely be used

Force Powers
Kyle Kol
Assault Motf 2
Riposte Renewal
Grip Push 2
Precision
block
Kol wins cus hell stay alive twice as long.

In my opinion kol is better and i would use him even if he had the same point value as kyle cus he will twice as long and can do just as much damage as kyle with precision.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:50:51 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

You forgot Lightning.

They play different roles. Kyle is a more all around offensive beat, with many more options to attack at range. Don't underestimate Grenades 40. That is some hefty damage you could do to a group of figs. He is also less reliant on Force Powers for his damage output. Kol needs to use Precision twice to do 60 Dam, Kyle has Triple. Heck, he will also have more damage output when facing a Melee piece with Riposte. Let's not forget, who will be deadlier when they first move up. Kyle has Assault, Kol has Precision.

Where Kyle really shines is with Ghost Luke. Renewal makes all those Force Powers a lot more dangerous. Kyle Katarn, Battlemaster isn't going anywhere, even with the new Kyle. He fits a great beatstick role.
ewokballs88
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:54:48 PM

kol or shado can take out kyle no problem on 1 on 1 also.
Durge Dude
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:56:34 PM

Sithborg wrote:
You forgot Lightning.

They play different roles. Kyle is a more all around offensive beat, with many more options to attack at range. Don't underestimate Grenades 40. That is some hefty damage you could do to a group of figs. He is also less reliant on Force Powers for his damage output. Kol needs to use Precision twice to do 60 Dam, Kyle has Triple. Heck, he will also have more damage output when facing a Melee piece with Riposte. Let's not forget, who will be deadlier when they first move up. Kyle has Assault, Kol has Precision.

Where Kyle really shines is with Ghost Luke. Renewal makes all those Force Powers a lot more dangerous. Kyle Katarn, Battlemaster isn't going anywhere, even with the new Kyle. He fits a great beatstick role.

Agreed he is my favorite beatstick, and his Grenades helped win me 2 matches
Durge Dude
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:57:43 PM

ewokballs88 wrote:
kol or shado can take out kyle no problem on 1 on 1 also.

Doubt it he can start attacking a round before they can with lightning, grip or grenades
ewokballs88
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:42:31 PM

ok well he hits me for 20 with lightning then i walk in and do 30. Now its initiative, if he wanted to riposte go ahead kol would block and shado would riposte and block. Kyle has absolutely 0 defense. So while im squashin him, he can hit me and if hes lucky he'll get 40 damage a turn, while im doin 60 with both shado and kol. Thats without riposte from shado. Kol would still wooop though.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:23:14 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

ewokballs88 wrote:
ok well he hits me for 20 with lightning then i walk in and do 30. Now its initiative, if he wanted to riposte go ahead kol would block and shado would riposte and block. Kyle has absolutely 0 defense. So while im squashin him, he can hit me and if hes lucky he'll get 40 damage a turn, while im doin 60 with both shado and kol. Thats without riposte from shado. Kol would still wooop though.

The thing is, the extra attacks of Kyle will overwhelm their defenses. And Shado will have a very tough time with Kyle. A 13 Atk into a 24 Def with only 2 attacks will not offset your "defense" of Kyle needing 8s to hit. Shado will need to block many, many more times than Kyle would've needed. A little bit more even in Kol vs Kyle (Kol needs 10s vs Kyle needing 11s). At which point, Kyle's extra attack(s) will be the key to victory. And with Kyle most likely softening them up a bit with Lightning or Grip, he will be in a far better position (especially against Shado).

In essence, Shado really has no chance, while I would put it about even in Kol vs Kyle. Which is fine, since Kol and Kyle serve different roles. Really, Disruptive on a beatstick of Kyle's calibre is worth the extra points.
Partof1
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:36:01 PM

Keep in mind you aren't playing in a vacuum. Even in squads without wedge, Kyle can use Grip, or Lightning or Grenades to damage from a distance. Against shooters, adjacent when not Wedge, or non-adjacents Sans Wege on Kol's team, he has no defense. Kyle can at least hurt them when not in base. One on one, of course the melee hate beats swiss army knife, but Kyle can deal with many problems more than Kol.
Omnus
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 4:54:14 PM

Kyle Katarn, JBM is probably the most well designed Melee character in the game. Not the best overall. YObuck is more powerful in my opinion but thats not what I am talking about.

Kyle provides alot of options for anyone willing to get creative. Spend for speed+grenads 40 can catch players off guard or atleast make positioning more challenging even if you never do it. Riposte and duelist are nice defensive abilites ( riposte because its a deters some attack from ever happening) when combined with 140 health and 20 def on char that is only 54 points. Disruptive can stop alot of damage aswell. Can't spend throne's fps to lightning kyle. Assault, grenades, triple, grip and lightning provide a ton of attack options. You may not use every power every game (actually most of the time you won't) but in a 4 round tournament I generally use every ability Kyle has.

I still make NR squads without him, it just depends on how I want to play the squad. But he is strong and I use him much more than Shado.

Kol is a beast and I am looking forward to trying him out, but seriously give Kyle JBM another shot. He can really earn his points, its just not quite as straight forward.
Del Muerte
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:14:57 PM

Mathematically and Tactically figuring out duels between force users is a pass time for me. Here is what I came out with:

Kol and Shado start off with 4 force points(fp) aka two rounds before the duels happens.

Kol vs Kyle:
Tie 5 rounds: Who every wins the key initiative is the winner
Kol spends 4fp on rerolls and 5 fp on blocks and Kyle spends all on riposte or 1 lighting and three riposte
Note: I give kol a small edge as a if the duel starting off not base to base, it should work in his favor, and didn't try out any force push tactics.

Shado Vs Kyle:
Kyle wins
Shado dies 5th round dealing around 110 damage(88-133) to Kyle.
Note: This one was a hard to figure out with Shado have so many options. I think a riposte, block and hit run tactic was the best chance for Shado but he eats up to many force points to over come Kyle and his 4 riposte. If Shado starts of with say 8 fp then he probably would win.

Anyways I use Shado when I'm not using wedge and Kyle when I am. As for Kol I think of him as a cheaper Kyle but without disruption, which is huge. Basically ask yourself this am I going to use wedge, do i need or want disruption, what will the points difference get or lose you? IMO if you have Wedge then Kyle's disruption put him over the other two most of the time and wedge evading CE really extends his 150 hp vs shooters a lot. Without wedge the other two are probably better.

PS: In short, I really like all three.
DarthJak
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2009 2:35:21 AM

Kyle's grenades are theBomb! my favorite trick is to force push a piece so they are adjacent to 1 or more pieces, the grenade 'em all!! IHeart Kyle!Wub
Darth_Decronus
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2009 9:09:43 PM

ewokballs88 wrote:
also grenades but will very rarely be used

umm... why would you not use grenades often?you cant just say a piece isn't good
because you don't want to use one of his best abilities.

WAIT! yes you can. This is the internet after all. Please, proceed with your jackassery.ThumbsUp
ewokballs88
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 1:01:41 PM

jackassery??? uhh im pretty sure, most of the teams ive seen with kyle have a twilek and wedge so that he gets greater mobile. so if kyle has greater mobile he could do 60 damage instead of a 50% 40 damage(even lower with a force user). And if your comeback to that is, well i would only do grenades if there are adjacent guys, then my answer is no good player in there right mind would ever keep his pieces together like that with kyle as an opponent. so im srry if your playin guys that bunch together or are stupid and get in the open within 6 squares so he can get lightning or somethin.

TOUCHEFlapper Flapper Flapper

PS(i hope thats how you spell touche)Confused
maverick
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 1:42:06 PM

also with mobile he can move in, lob a grenade, and get out. He can grenade into a thrawn bubble as well. Kol relies on force pts to do damage, and with renewal 1 he'll have trouble keeping enough to really shine. Both pieces are good, but its like comparing apples to oranges. They are really not the same.
Jester007
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 2:12:10 PM

@ewok

Depending on the point build, you may not have enough to give him GMA. In a 150 point squad, that's costing you 95 points (98 if you decide to run a mouse droid). So now you only have a little over 50 points left. That may give you 3 more characters.

I personally think giving Evade and Mobile with Wedge is enough for Kyle. Because then you can just walk out and do Grenades, Grip, or Lightning then walk back and make your opponent come to you. Then if he has to get within 6 to attack Kyle, then he is propably losing any Mobile/GMA and left swinging in the open.

Kyle Katarn JBM is a solid piece that has it's advantages over Kyle CI. For 8 more points your getting +1 Defense, +1 Attack, Grenades 40, Lightning, Grip, and an additional attack.

Sure, you don't have Block or Renewel, but I think JBM is a more offensive piece. Kyle JBM can stay at a distance and still do damage (so no worrying over those pesky Kel Dors!! Bomb Cursing ) Don't get me wrong, the new Kyle is awesome. I just think of him as a cheaper version.

Sincerely,
Jester007
DarthJak
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:22:54 AM

[quote=ewokballs88] And if your comeback to that is, well i would only do grenades if there are adjacent guys, then my answer is no good player in there right mind would ever keep his pieces together like that with kyle as an opponent.

that's why you force push them, and make them adjacent!Scared
Eroschilles
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 3:21:15 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Yeah, I learned the hard way about being force pushed into being adjacent. There are many options now for force push 2 in NR.