RegisterDonateLogin

Lets the Wookiee win.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Barada Skff Options
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 7:01:59 PM
Groups: Member

When this character is defeated. And my characters have to make there save, are they still considered "on it". Or is the piece removed from the board, and then saves made?
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 7:09:56 PM

From the glossary of Desert Skiff, which I assume would be similar:

Quote:
If this character is defeated, transported characters are also defeated; each can make a save of 11 to avoid this effect. Transported characters who succeed on this save are placed on the battle map adjacent to the space previously occupied by this character.
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 7:24:30 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
From the glossary of Desert Skiff, which I assume would be similar:

Quote:
If this character is defeated, transported characters are also defeated; each can make a save of 11 to avoid this effect. Transported characters who succeed on this save are placed on the battle map adjacent to the space previously occupied by this character.

So my question still stands.... So if they are defeated, then they are no longer on the Skiff... Which means SA,CE, and FP are all fair game correct? So I could run Death Shot Mandos, and run 6 down there, and let that be that? With the first sentence stating "this character is defeated" It leads me to believe that the Skiff is removed from play that point. So unless there is an Ether somewhere in SWM I am unaware of , that means the transported characters are no longer on the piece, otherwise, they are literally riding a piece to Hell and back. So clarification on this please
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 7:40:56 PM

Quote:

I would say no, they are not "on the board" until after the save has been rolled.

The text of Large Transport:
Quote:
Remove these allies from the battle grid; they are not considered to be on the battle grid or adjacent to this character.

It appears they are generically "off-board" until after the saves have been rolled.

Help us rules guy, you're our only hope.
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 7:44:23 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
Quote:

I would say no, they are not "on the board" until after the save has been rolled.

The text of Large Transport:
Quote:
Remove these allies from the battle grid; they are not considered to be on the battle grid or adjacent to this character.

It appears they are generically "off-board" until after the saves have been rolled.

Help us rules guy, you're our only hope.

I'm just curious is all. I don't think ATM moment its game breaking, but I also haven't looked at any combos knowing they are still there.

Another question... And I know its weird, but If Darth Revan, Sith Lord, is mounted on a character, at the end of his turn, when he switches positions, does the character come in mounted on the character he was mounted on? I know you can't do it with the Skiff, but lets say Thon or something?
kobayashimaru
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:44:25 PM

the rules for when a transport is defeated are;

if the skiff dies,
then, make save 11 for each transported character embarked on the transport.
if success, place in squares formerly occupied by the skiff.

if fail, then defeated too. (Avoid Defeat then triggers, Force Spirit etc)

if there are ever somehow more characters than squares, say some rakghoul or possessed ewok with an SA "when defeated, this character is replaced by 2 of the same", then place radially adjacent to those squares,
filling the squares occupied by the skiff first.

I use a colored base token to remove the skiff but remember where it was.
a laminated fluro pink, yellow or green token, to be precise BigGrin
the skiff itself has been definitely defeated, to quote George Costanza - "It's outta there, Jerry!"
we're just seeing who died in the wreckage and who didn't BigGrin

as to your avoid defeat and swap hypotheticals;
firstly, awesome. that's some real outta-the-box thinking there!

secondly, yes, avoid defeat works whenever someone is defeated.
same with force spirit etc...

thirdly, if you swap from embarked on a skiff or transport... I'd house rule you can,
provided there's enough space and the swap satisfices the terms of transport.
you can't swap out when the transport is defeated - it's contingent on the swap-CE character to have ended their activation,
and they can't activate while embarked on a transport.
otherwise, you can't if the transported piece is considered "removed from play" they're not there to be target-able for the ability.
or, you swap a large or colossal onto a transport with 5 other pieces on board hehe.
Transport and Staggered Activation are untested/underdeveloped aspects of SWMinis.

fourth - do they count as on the board, if the transport has been defeated and they make their save?
Yes, they are immediately back on the board,
as of making that save, same as if they disembarked the skiff/transport.
I believe they do not count as activated either... so, it can be a fortuitous transport accident in Cart Chariot squads hehe.
so, all the SA's, CE's and ForcePowers that apply would.
such as, superstealth, avoid defeat, shields all that kinda wonderful guff.

fifthly - if my attack from a double or triple attack, rolling cleave, double claw attack etc, destroys a transport,
do the passengers who survive now become new legal targets?
yup. they are now new targets to attack! but, you can't get AoO on the passengers from a destroyed transport if they move out of adjacent due to being radially placed to 'occupy where the transport formerly was'.
things like Crowd Fighting etc may now also apply...

sixthly - if the transport is over a pit when it is defeated,
what is the point of even rolling for save?
do the passengers all auto-die, if a transport character with flight is defeated whilst over a pit.
Yes, they're autodefeated if the transport is wholly over a pit when defeated...
however, if its partial or there's somehow more characters than the spaces would provide... then, some might survive, to be placed near the pit.
it's unclear what happens if the embarked characters have flight when the transport is defeated over a pit...
I'd house rule if, they have flight, and they survive, then they may be placed in a pit until their next activation.
if you could somehow keep them activated there, and your opponent only had melee, that'd be a stalemate hehe.

seventhly -
let's say I put old' kenobi and QuiGon on a death-chariot... and, shock-horror, the chariot dies...
can I voluntarily fail the save/ omit to make a save for them, to pocket the sweet Force Spirit spook?
No. You cannot voluntarily omit or fail a save. so, make sure your transport is wholly over a pit when it's defeated.
that way, they're auto-dead, as they don't have flight.
juice man
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 4:46:14 AM

Save on Barada is 6. So if your Darth Caedus rolls a 5 (on TWO SEPERATE OCCATIONS) you are S. O. L.Crying

When part of the Skiff was in a -4 save zone it was ruled that putting my pieces outside the zone gave them normal saves.

You can't end your turn over a pit, so it's hard (but not impossible) to be destroyed over a pit.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 5:07:14 AM

juice man wrote:
Save on Barada is 6. So if your Darth Caedus rolls a 5 (on TWO SEPERATE OCCATIONS) you are S. O. L.Crying

When part of the Skiff was in a -4 save zone it was ruled that putting my pieces outside the zone gave them normal saves.

You can't end your turn over a pit, so it's hard (but not impossible) to be destroyed over a pit.

My questions are split, so if I combined them I am sorry. The question is.

1. Is the Barada Skiff considered defeated, and REMOVED from the game, BEFORE or AFTER my transported characters make their saves. The reason I ask, is b/c the Skiff negates SA/FP/CE, and everything, so if they ARE still on the Skiff, then they could not reroll with Leia, they would not get Survival Expert, and you could not use a FP to reroll. But if the SKiff IS removed, then ANYTHING is fair game as far as FP/CE/SA.

2. If I have Watto, and I slave Collar a Dark Hellion on Swoop Bike, then I Beast master it with Tott Doneeta, and I mount the Swoop Bike with Darth Revan, Sith Lord, At the end of Darth Revan, SL's turn, when I swap, would the character I swap in come in on the Swoop bike? Assuming the Bike is still alive and well? Or would they come in adjacent to the Swoop Bike?

*Credit question 2 to Death's Baine.
jak
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 5:22:19 AM

from the card"If this character is defeated, transported allies are also defeated; save 6."

so, the Skiff's destroyed, then passengers save, or die.
juice man
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 5:24:44 AM

jak wrote:
from the card"If this character is defeated, transported allies are also defeated; save 6."

To me this means they are "on" the skiff until they save.

However, with this game, sometimes the cards and glossary reading is not sufficient and an expert is tapped to interpret interactions. Game is just too complex.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 5:25:32 AM

jak wrote:

Is this an official decision? Or a speculation? I have no idea the designers intent, so I would like an official Yes, or an Official No. The way I read it the Skiff is defeated, then removed from the game, then the saves are made, which means I COULD use FP/SA/CE. But if that is not the designers intent, I would like to know so I know the Official interaction.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 5:27:44 AM

juice man wrote:
jak wrote:

To me this means they are "on" the skiff until they save.

See, 2 separate opinions on an ability, and no one knows the interaction. Can we get an OFFICIAL Rules guru to answer this question please?

And the question about Revan Swapping while Mounting someone ( Flapper )
juice man
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 5:33:01 AM

Steps 13 and 14 in Resolving Effects:

13. Resolve any remaining "when defeated" effects such as Impulsive Shot, Impulsive Sweep, Self-Destruct, Cleave, Rolling Cleave, Mon Mothma's commander effect, and so on. Use the simultaneous effects rule as usual. As in previous steps, Impulsive Shot and Impulsive Sweep can begin new attack sequences that interrupt this sequence; resolve the new attack completely, then continue where you left off with the original attack.

14. Remove the defeated character from the battle grid.

Since the defeated character is removed in step 14, when the characters resolve step 13 they must still be on the flaming wreckage.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 5:43:56 AM

Revan's CE states "exchange positions" (no mention of the square the character is in), so as long as you can count the range on or off the battle grid would not matter.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 5:51:31 AM

juice man wrote:
Steps 13 and 14 in Resolving Effects:

13. Resolve any remaining "when defeated" effects such as Impulsive Shot, Impulsive Sweep, Self-Destruct, Cleave, Rolling Cleave, Mon Mothma's commander effect, and so on. Use the simultaneous effects rule as usual. As in previous steps, Impulsive Shot and Impulsive Sweep can begin new attack sequences that interrupt this sequence; resolve the new attack completely, then continue where you left off with the original attack.

14. Remove the defeated character from the battle grid.

Since the defeated character is removed in step 14, when the characters resolve step 13 they must still be on the flaming wreckage.

I agree with this statement, except that the Skiff actually has to DIE first. Which means, in my eyes, he would DIE, resolve steps 13, and then 14, and THEN the characters make their saves, which means they would make their save, and then the transported characters would each take their step 13, assuming they failed, and then take the step 14.

I can see it either way honestly, its reading between the lines of card text, and FAQ, and Glossary rules tho.

One of the biggest things I want to know is if a Transported ally can make fail a save, and reroll somehow. OR if the Skiffs ability is still active, preventing the characters from anything other than the 1 roll.

*Note, My questions are strictly about when the Skiff itself dies, and the Save 6 that follows for this character.

shmi15
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 5:52:05 AM

Lord_Ball wrote:
Revan's CE states "exchange positions" (no mention of the square the character is in), so as long as you can count the range on or off the battle grid would not matter.

I thought so as well, just wanted to make sure tho.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 9:17:26 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Lord_Ball wrote:

Correct. This follows from rulings on the original Desert Skiff.

You could also use Sidious Sith Master to swap a mounted character, or the mount itself.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 9:31:11 AM

From the FAQ: (Desert Skiff)

Quote:
Q: When the Skiff is defeated, and I get to place a passenger, can I place it in the squares that were previously occupied by the Skiff?

A: No. You must resolve all other effects, including placing the passengers on the battle grid prior to removing the Skiff. In the unusual case of the Skiff being fully surrounded or no adjacent squares being available, place the passenger as near as possible to the Skiff.

Large Transport differs significantly from Desert Skiff, but Embarking/Disembarking and the defeat resolution mechanic are the same.

Transported characters can spend Force Points and use Force powers, but those are heavily limited due to the clauses of not counting range from the transport and not counting as adjacent to it.

Death shots would not be possible, for example, as CEs are suppressed, and even so there is no way to determine legal targets at the point when they would trigger.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 10:06:01 AM

swinefeld wrote:
From the FAQ: (Desert Skiff)

Quote:
Q: When the Skiff is defeated, and I get to place a passenger, can I place it in the squares that were previously occupied by the Skiff?

A: No. You must resolve all other effects, including placing the passengers on the battle grid prior to removing the Skiff. In the unusual case of the Skiff being fully surrounded or no adjacent squares being available, place the passenger as near as possible to the Skiff.

Large Transport differs significantly from Desert Skiff, but Embarking/Disembarking and the defeat resolution mechanic are the same.

Transported characters can spend Force Points and use Force powers, but those are heavily limited due to the clauses of not counting range from the transport and not counting as adjacent to it.

Death shots would not be possible, for example, as CEs are suppressed, and even so there is no way to determine legal targets at the point when they would trigger.

LARGE TRANSPORT TEXT ON CARD
(Adjacent characters get -6 Attack on nonmelee attacks. Transport up to 6 Small or Medium allies who did not Disembark this round and who end their moves adjacent to him. Remove these allies from the battle grid; they are not considered to be on the battle grid or adjacent to this character. They cannot be targeted, attacked, make attacks or count distance from this character. They lose Disciplined Leader, and their commander effects, special abilities and Force abilities are suppressed. Transported allies may return to the battle grid immediately before your first activation of the round. If this character is defeated, transported allies are also defeated; save 6.)

Ok. I will try this again. I am looking for a Yes or a No answer. So, reading the first bold words. They can't be targeted. Check. They can not attack. Check. They can not BE attacked. Check. They can not count distance. Check. ok NO Questions on any of that. Their CE/SA/FA are suppressed. So if all abilities, including Force abilities are suppressed. Does that not mean Force Renewal is suppressed. YES or NO?

Second Bold words. If this character IS DEFEATED. Lets break this part down first. In order for your transported characters to make their save, this character has to be completely defeated FIRST. YES or NO?

If the answer is YES, then I am under the impression that once the Skiff is DEFEATED, then all of my characters SA/FP/CE are no longer suppressed, and I am no longer under the restriction of that ability. Because under rule 14, When you are officially defeated, you are REMOVED from the board. I am under the impression, that if the Skiff is removed, and then the pieces make their saves, they are actually on the board somewhere, not in purgatory with their Uber Ride.

If the Answer is NO, then they are still under the restrictions, and they can not FP reroll the save, or Sack a Sith Recruit, or use Leias CE. They get 1 chance to roll a 6 or better, and if not they die, and are not able to Dath Shot or anything, because they are still unable to make an attack.

swinefeld
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 10:49:37 AM

NO, and NO.

Force abilities (think Bastila) are not the same thing as Force powers. Force renewal works, and spending Force to reroll the defeat save is allowed. This is by design.

You bring up an interesting point about the Sith Pawn. I believe a Sith Recruit that is NOT being transported could be sacked to reroll a defeat save.

Juice Man posted the relevant parts from Resolving Effects above.
The characters make their saves. If not defeated, they are placed adjacent to the transport. All that must be fully resolved before removing the transport, and until that happens, all the restrictions remain in effect.