RegisterDonateLogin

Nom Anor says, "It's da bomb!"

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Cortisised Grevious' crit Options
Capin_ahab
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:34:39 AM
Groups: Member

If i have my general grevious DAC, who has been Cortosis Guantled uses his blaster ability, and rolls a critical hit. Does the blasters damage double or does the 0 damage double leaving it with a regular 20 damage hit?
any help is apreciated!
Uggie Demo
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:36:48 AM

I think it would only do 20 damage(30 if it was a character with a force rating)
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:59:22 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Glossary Text:

Instead of making its normal attack or attacks, a character using this special ability can make one attack against an enemy in line of sight at the specified Attack bonus, dealing 20 damage.

I believe Blaster ignores the normal damage stats and does 20 damage, so the Cortosis is irrelevant. Whether it doubles on a natural 20 or not, I can't say as it has never came up during any matches I've been at.
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:20:26 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

swinefeld wrote:
Glossary Text:

Instead of making its normal attack or attacks, a character using this special ability can make one attack against an enemy in line of sight at the specified Attack bonus, dealing 20 damage.

I believe Blaster ignores the normal damage stats and does 20 damage, so the Cortosis is irrelevant. Whether it doubles on a natural 20 or not, I can't say as it has never came up during any matches I've been at.

Incorrect. Corotosis would still apply, and much like the AT-AT Cannons, the listed damage replaces the Dam stat.

As for the actual question, the -20 applies to crits just like bonuses. So, 20 x2 then -20, so he would still do 20 (or 30) on a crit.
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:30:32 PM

Sithborg wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
Glossary Text:

Incorrect. Corotosis would still apply, and much like the AT-AT Cannons, the listed damage replaces the Dam stat.

As for the actual question, the -20 applies to crits just like bonuses. So, 20 x2 then -20, so he would still do 20 (or 30) on a crit.

It' a complete replacement. The card reads "Replaces attacks: sight; +12 Attack for 20 Damage" so it would not affected by corotosis. Would Mara Jade Jedi get 0 even on her blaster crits? Would Kyle Battle Master lose 20 from his grenades 40?
kenred2
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:35:51 PM

juice man wrote:
Sithborg wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
Glossary Text:

It' a complete replacement. The card reads "Replaces attacks: sight; +12 Attack for 20 Damage" so it would not affected by corotosis. Would Mara Jade Jedi get 0 even on her blaster crits? Would Kyle Battle Master lose 20 from his grenades 40?

First off, Mara Jade, Jedi cannot be Cortosis'ed because she's a non-melee... plus Kyle's Special Ability won't lose anything, cortosis only checks for "stat base damage"
seibermaki
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:05:00 PM

kenred2 wrote:
juice man wrote:
Sithborg wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
Glossary Text:

First off, Mara Jade, Jedi cannot be Cortosis'ed because she's a non-melee... plus Kyle's Special Ability won't lose anything, cortosis only checks for "stat base damage"

I'm wondering if the Cortosis thing would negate the bonus 10 that Mara Jade, Jedi would get from her Lightsaber special ability. Basically it would just get rid of her Lightsaber special ability. It seems silly to me that it would negate her base dmg that she does with her range attack. However, I've been finding sometimes in this game you have to throw some reality out the window. Cortosis should only affect dmg done by a Lightsaber, whether it's used in melee or thrown.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:10:49 PM

It wouldn't as there's no way to cotorsis her as all of her attacks, even those against adjacent characters, are considered non-melee and thus Lightsaber Block cannot be used against her.
seibermaki
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:34:04 PM

EmporerDragon wrote:
It wouldn't as there's no way to cotorsis her as all of her attacks, even those against adjacent characters, are considered non-melee and thus Lightsaber Block cannot be used against her.

Hmm, interesting to know! So basically, against a character with Lightsaber Block, she can get the 10 base +10 bonus(from her Lightsaber special ability) and they can't Lightsaber Block.

Seems like in order for her to use the Lightsaber special ability, it would be considered melee. I guess if it doesn't say it on the card or in any errata, then it doesn't count as melee. Still rather weird to me, but I guess I'll play her as non-melee when using her Lightsaber special ability.
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:11:15 PM

juice man wrote:
Sithborg wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
Glossary Text:

Cortosis doesn't replace the base Dam stat, it is a penalty. Blaster uses 20 as the base damage, thus it is doubled when a crit happens, and other modifiers to Dam also apply (such as Jedi Hunter). If Jedi Hunter applies, then so must Cortosis.
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:48:45 PM

Hmmmm. Interesting.
It's not that Corotosis replaces the Damage stat: Blaster 20 does. So in effect GGDAC is "changing" weapons.
To bad reality (such as it is) sometimes has to get thrown out the window.This is similar to the" Vong (once agian)" question. What seems realistic does not go well with the rules as they are now.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:44:06 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Sithborg wrote:
Cortosis doesn't replace the base Dam stat, it is a penalty. Blaster uses 20 as the base damage, thus it is doubled when a crit happens, and other modifiers to Dam also apply (such as Jedi Hunter). If Jedi Hunter applies, then so must Cortosis.

Yes, I see now I did not think that though clearly. Thanks for straightening that out!
Capin_ahab
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:04:32 AM

Thanks for the answer guys!
juice man
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:51:22 AM

So. Following the rules-to defend against GGDAC Blaster 20 one needs Parry or LS Block, and it is possable to Corotosis him from across the map. Right ?
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 11:25:54 AM

juice man wrote:
So. Following the rules-to defend against GGDAC Blaster 20 one needs Parry or LS Block, and it is possable to Corotosis him from across the map. Right ?

Incorrect, as Blaster produces a non-Melee attack, like Lightsaber Throw. This is in the errata.
juice man
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:24:06 PM

Thanks. Fun game. Can drive a guy crazy.
seibermaki
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:51:36 PM

juice man wrote:
Thanks. Fun game. Can drive a guy crazy.

ain't that the truth!