RegisterDonateLogin

Will be with you always.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

SWAGcon: Star Wars Gaming in Lower Hutt, NZ Options
kezzamachineII
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2017 5:44:48 PM
Groups: Member

Tomorrow will be SWAGcon in Lower Hutt. SWAGcon (otherwise known as Star Wars Adventure Gaming) is the Save11 attempt to reach a hand out to the newer SW games like X-Wing, Destiny, Armada, and Imperial Assault, while still retaining a definite SWM-ness. We're expecting about 15 people to rock up, but don't quite know what it will look like.

The day itself will take the form of a SWM tournament interrupted by other types of games as dependant on who is there and what folk like. Since a large majority of the crew rocking up are keen on SWM, there might be a significant chunk of that game present, but there is likely to be a few opportunities of others to try out something new.

The evening of the event, however, will differ from our traditional semis and finals by having a big joint X-Wing/SWM game where we will play the two simultaneously with each game affecting the other. We ran a day like this at HamilCon in January this year.

As well as many old hands being present, there is going to be about 5-6 new players too. I'll keep y'all posted!
kez
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2017 6:35:02 PM

My favorite thing to read, is the New Zealand Play Reports. If any of you guys want to play a Vassal tournament, Saturday at 9Am (American Eastern Time Zone) TN is having their Regional! Would love to see 1 or 2 of you! No Vong allowed! Flapper
kezzamachineII
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2017 8:58:06 PM

I'll let everyone know tomorrow!
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, August 5, 2017 12:23:44 AM

I skipped out of the evening fun games, which are still going on, so I could help put the kids to bed. We had 10 players as the start, but a few rolled in later. We played a couple of rounds, then the two unbeaten players played a quasi-final. We had a mix of seasoned Lower Hutt veterans and new players who Kezzamachine is training up, who were only just venturing into 200 points for the first time, plus Chainparalysis who travelled a long way to be here.

I played Rebels:
--Rebel Balance--
44 Luke Skywalker, Hero of Endor
34 Kyle Katarn, Rebel Hero
21 Lando Calrissian, Infiltrator
20 Princess Leia
18 Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2)
18 Jan Ors
14 General Rieekan
9 General Dodonna
8 Juno Eclipse
8 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit
3 Rodian Brute
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 12 activations)

I like this squad because it's got a bit of everything - with Luke's Overwhelming and Kyle's Lightning it can hang in with tanks, and with Rieekan, Juno, and Dodonna it can hang in with tech/shooty squads. Having board-wide GMA for Juno, Kyle, and Luke was very useful, even though Lando barely attacked - I've found playing this squad previously, that Lando's vital, and I need to keep him safe - often I used him as a gambit getter and for a little cleanup. Kyle's a monster with armament - Jolt won me games as it's nasty having to make four saves.

Round 1 - vs Gungans.
I drew one of the new players first up - it's a pretty tough ask to play an experienced player when it's one of your first tries at 200. He had a nice, efficient squad with Tarpals, Blizz, Boss Nass, Amidala, and it could have easily given me problems, but he made a few positioning mistakes (I was able to Lightning three Gungans with Kyle at the start of the third round) and I was on point with my saves, so I won comfortably. He did play nice and fast - we had 30 activations between us, and still finished in 45 minutes.

Round 2 - vs Paul.
Paul's coming to GenCon next week, and his squad is classified information. This was probably the toughest game of the three, but Kyle and Jan did lots of heavy lifting.

Round 3 - vs Mike.
Mike is Paul's twin brother. Like me. he was also playing Rebels - v-set Ackbar, Han Rebel General, Luke Red 5, Lando Pilot, Chewbacca Fearless Scout, new Artoo and Threepio. He had 14 activations to my 12, but I was able to snipe off a couple of activations early, and he said his squad functions best with a decent activation overlap so he can use his Opportunist shooters with combining fire. I do think Rieekan is more reliable ranged defense than 3720 to 1 too, but maybe that depends on the map. I was able to finish off his Han with my Jan, and take the win.

Even though it wasn't quite an official tournament per se, it was fun to play again - it's been a long time since I've played a competitive-ish 200 point game, as I wasn't able to make Nationals last year.