RegisterDonateLogin

I recognized your Bloo stench when I was brought on board.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : Should attacks using lightsaber count as melee?
Choice Votes Statistics
Yes 7 38.888888 %
No 11 61.111111 %

Lightsaber counting as a melee attack Options
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 10:17:43 AM
Groups: Member

I would say, though, those are all stacked melee beats that will absolutely wreck ANY melee piece not specifically designed to be anti-melee. If lightsaber was changed, it would not balance things, but simply reverse the advantage - not only are Mara and Kyle now ineffective against Cin/Vader/Dooku, they'll get steamrolled before the end of the round.

Cin Drallig is not unplayable because of not being able to block a tiny cross-section of attacks. He's already vulnerable to adjacent shooters, which is much more of a problem. Flavor-wise, he's much more likely to be vulnerable to Mara Jade than Embo.

I totally agree that it doesn't make sense, but I don't think at all it is a significant problem. I don't think anyone gets spooked out of playing Satele or Caedus because they're afraid they'll face Kyle Katarn.

I do like the explanation about blocking while shooting at point-blank range. It's not perfect, but if one is shooting at point-blank range, you can specifically aim for more vulnerable areas on your opponent, this still getting +10 damage. At 40 feet away, you're just shooting "at" them. When you're shooting at them with sabers crossed, you can aim specifically at head/weak point in armor/etc.

Ironically, the piece I care least about defending (Luke and Leia) actually have the best excuse to be non-melee: it's a Speeder Bike. Luke can shut off his lightsaber and they can just strafe with the blasters.

All that said, though, it's only 6 important characters that are affected, which is not much in the scheme of things.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 10:14:02 PM
Groups: Member

CorellianComedian wrote:

Cin Drallig is not unplayable because of not being able to block a tiny cross-section of attacks. He's already vulnerable to adjacent shooters, which is much more of a problem. Flavor-wise, he's much more likely to be vulnerable to Mara Jade than Embo.

Cin Drallig and Company only win if they can survive. It is the main reason why the build can be competitive. lightsaber bypasses evade and parry while using an adjacent attack. I think the rule should be you do not have to use lightsaber if adjacent, dont get the bonus. but if you do you get +10 attack and it counts as melee.

Kyle Katarn in rebels and NR totally destroys Cin squads. might as well chalk it up as an auto loss. disruptive and distraction is in the faction everywhere as well. so good bye GMA to others as well while giving GMA out to the world with Lando...