Almost untouched by CGI.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Who watches the watchmen? Options
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 10:33:40 PM
Groups: Member

I pulled this from the other thread

TimmerB123 wrote:

This isn't really what the balance committee is for. It's not for changing design you don't like.

Unkar hasn't even come out yet. If he starts to dominate the scene, then maybe the conversation can get started.

Do you see how terribly awful this is?

Designers can design to make changes THEY don't like without any check or balance...

Players can..... wait for the changes to things they like and just deal with it.

haha designers can essentially destroy something someone finds a lot of fun in the name of their freedom.

I dont know why a Committee has not already been approved in the past to check designs before they come out.

It makes NO sense to not have a filtering system and than have more chance of needing to make an errata. Someone said it is so hard to make changes and get the changes out to everyone, especially those that buy cards are on not on bloo that often. yadda yadda.
If that is the case than designs ought to see the filter committee before being released.
It will stop designing that takes too many liberties.

This is what I wrote a few days ago

"Tbh I personally feel the balance committee should also serve as a check before pieces are released. A check for accuracy at the very least. Designers have too much say in what goes down in the grand scheme of things."

I would like to discuss it.

Our Founding Fathers thought it was essential to have checks and balances to power. Thus 3 branches where formed. Executive, Legislative, and Judicial.
Right now we are functioning with only 2 branches. there are no checks and balances.
We need the executive branch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFroMQlKiag

The judicial branch (balance committee) ensures that the way things are going is going well and it is fair and right by errata to things from the far past or recent past. We have seen them change things like 2 pt drops and even pieces themselves.
The balance team is checked by the community at large. We typically have a large say and apply a lot of pressure.

Now before a "bill" can become a law it has to go from one House to the other (senate to the reps)
We can call the Senate the Design team making the "bills" and the House the pt committee.
Once the bill goes back and forth and both the Design team and pt committee have okayed there designs it has to go somewhere else to be okayed. THE PRESIDENT!
but we have no executive Branch for it to go to.
I suggest that we do just that. Make a filtering committee.

My personal three choices are: Deaths_Baine, DarthJim, Kezza (if they are willing)
(you see the president is decided on by the people (in a sense anyway)).

So this branch can veto and send it back saying this is why we are not signing this you need to fix it b/c it is not fair, etc.
At that point the Design team AND pt committee have to look at it and make the changes or they can override the decision by the filtering committee. In which point the filtering committee would say "we Vetoed this b/c of this or that reason" but they are pushing it through anyway.

Literally the way a bill (design) gets through. because for the "little guy" the working class it stinks to not have things in place to ensure designers do not take liberties in changing the game too much.

ok. So, I in laments terms.
I propose that we have a filtering committee whose job it is to look a the whole design list for a set and have a discussion with the designers about what the intent is and what it will do to the game. Than they can ok it or say this or that needs a change.
This will also, most likely, help designs stay more secretive while designing knowing there is a filtering process at the end of the road.
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 11:05:55 PM

The quality control team and rules committee review designs. Then there's community response and finally the balance committee.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 11:09:03 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
The quality control team and rules committee review designs. Then there's community response and finally the balance committee.

community response and balance committee are not a part of this process. Rules committee focuses on rules not if it is good for the game.

Whats the quality control team?
Who is on it?
What does it do?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 4:44:18 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

After designs are marked 'done' by the design team, QC double-checks things to make sure that new abilities do what the design team intends, checks spelling and grammar, etc. After the card designer makes the card, QC again double-checks that the card matches the final stat block, checks that things will actually fit on the card, etc. Occasionally, QC will notice and bring up something that the design team overlooked, which will send a piece back to a last-minute re-design, but that isn't really part of QC's charge.

Obviously, there's a lot of overlap between QC and rules, since much of QC is making sure that new abilities are worded in such a way that they fit within the existing rules structure. Generally 2 or 3 people are on QC per set. QC is usually headed up by Dave (swinefeld), but he did take off a couple of sets. Others who have done QC include me, urbanshmi, MarkedMan247, and AndyHatton.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:31:34 AM

Jenari, while I am flattered and appreciate the confidence you have in me to monitor designers, I am not the man for that job. I will never be a designer because I simply don't have the foresight to anticipate the effects of design before they come out. While my input may be helpful on occasion regarding the impact of a design on stuff I run and know well, I am largely in the dark until I actually play stuff. It has always amazed me, for instance, how Fingersandteeth can look at a map and tell where the choke points are, where combat will take place, and so on. When it comes to designs as well as maps I'm kind of a Monday morning quarterback type. I have to see it happen and then I react.

Regarding the Balance Committee's personal bias on issues, it would be ridiculous to say that it can all be set aside. No one who will ever be asked to serve could say that without being an outright liar. What I can tell you is that I am putting forth my honest effort to do so. And, because I know the playstyles of those serving with me, I try and discern when their personal bias comes out. I have confidence that those serving with me are doing the same. For example, in recent discussions about TK-421 being too harsh of a counter to Karrde, I was in favor of leaving him as is, because I honestly believe the counter was not insurmountable and needed to be there. I could give instances where other members have argued against their bias as well but I respect their privacy. Personal bias could very well come into play, but from what I've seen so far in my stint on the committee, we've done a pretty good job of avoiding it.

Keep in mind that we have to differentiate personal bias and NPEs from actual game impact. I have some of the same NPEs that you and others do...the trick is discerning what pushes the game in a direction that restricts play and what is simply not fun to play against. If something dominates or dictates the meta we need to look at it, NPE or not. If it simply is not fun to play against but is countered by stuff people actually like and do play, that has to be considered as well.

Anyone reading this thread should always feel free to contact me or any BC member via Bloomail with concerns.
juice man
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:34:12 AM

jen'ari wrote:

TimmerB123 wrote:

This isn't really what the balance committee is for. It's not for changing design you don't like.

Unkar hasn't even come out yet. If he starts to dominate the scene, then maybe the conversation can get started.

Designers can design to make changes THEY don't like without any check or balance...

Players can..... wait for the changes to things they like and just deal with it.

Not at all. Players can become, wait for it, play-testers!

Best way to help stop bad designs as a player is by play testing. Get involved in the process. When Jack and I play tested we helped point out some flaws in several pieces.

Worst thing that could happen is that someday you might get labeled as "one of the elite".Scared
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:36:37 AM

juice man wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

TimmerB123 wrote:

Best way to help stop bad designs as a player is by play testing. Get involved in the process. When Jack and I play tested we helped point out some flaws in several pieces.

Worst thing that could happen is that someday you might get labeled as "one of the elite".Scared

hey I am playtesting and I can assure you I will never be one of the elite lol. LOL
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:45:51 AM

The discussion needs to be what does the community want at this point? there are so many pieces now in the game it is intense. trying to remember every single interaction and playtest every possible commander effect and special ability interaction is a task for sure. This is one of the reasons I decided to get back into playtesting, to try and help find the most broken of the interactions during this time instead of after.

Sorry back to the original point: what does the community want in the game? Do we want there to be a clearly defined meta? I am of the opinion there is absolutely no meta..at all.

Do we want to try and balance every squad type so that every single playstyle has a chance at winning regionals/gencon? Frankly this is next to impossible without a reset of the game.

Do we want to try to change the game to be faster and try to design for more 3 point wins and the ablity to actually win through getting to 200 points? I don't know how many freaking games on the vassal tournament were 62-53 after over an hour its a shame and quite boring.

I think it is time for the community to have the discussion of where the game needs to go and how to get there.
juice man
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:58:42 AM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
juice man wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

TimmerB123 wrote:

hey I am playtesting and I can assure you I will never be one of the elite lol. LOL
Worst case.BigGrin
... labeled as one ... you never know ... ( I dub thee - "elite" )
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 6:42:42 AM

juice man wrote:

This is always the fall back answer.

I have play tested before. This last whole year of my life it was literally impossible for me to do so. This year I am going to be a good play tester.

But make no mistake play testing is like being a campaign volunteer. Everyone always says play test you can help.

Than you are given 2 pieces to play test that everyone in the world knows do not really matter hahaha they are never going to be played or cared about.

You can't even play test the important stuff without having a name for yourself hahahaha

So the putrid answer of "you can play test" is kind of true, but also just a nice gift bag (that's empty).

Disclaimer: At least that is how it went a year ago. I do not know how thing are done these days but I doubt they are just opening up the whole design thread to all playtesters.

jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 6:43:59 AM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
The discussion needs to be what does the community want at this point? there are so many pieces now in the game it is intense. trying to remember every single interaction and playtest every possible commander effect and special ability interaction is a task for sure. This is one of the reasons I decided to get back into playtesting, to try and help find the most broken of the interactions during this time instead of after.

Sorry back to the original point: what does the community want in the game? Do we want there to be a clearly defined meta? I am of the opinion there is absolutely no meta..at all.

Do we want to try and balance every squad type so that every single playstyle has a chance at winning regionals/gencon? Frankly this is next to impossible without a reset of the game.

Do we want to try to change the game to be faster and try to design for more 3 point wins and the ablity to actually win through getting to 200 points? I don't know how many freaking games on the vassal tournament were 62-53 after over an hour its a shame and quite boring.

I think it is time for the community to have the discussion of where the game needs to go and how to get there.

Oh I definitely would love to have that discussion.

But right now we are discussing Designers power to change the game. So it does not matter what the community wants if design overreaches or goes too far away from it.
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 6:49:04 AM

Darth_Jim wrote:
Jenari, while I am flattered and appreciate the confidence you have in me to monitor designers, I am not the man for that job.

I think the job is for people who can separate themselves from the game. I couldn't do it. The mere fact that you recognize it and are actively aware of your own bias makes me believe you would be a great representative.
Meaning it is for those that can sacrifice their desires for the good of others. No easy task.
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 7:00:53 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
After designs are marked 'done' by the design team, QC double-checks things to make sure that new abilities do what the design team intends, checks spelling and grammar, etc. After the card designer makes the card, QC again double-checks that the card matches the final stat block, checks that things will actually fit on the card, etc. Occasionally, QC will notice and bring up something that the design team overlooked, which will send a piece back to a last-minute re-design, but that isn't really part of QC's charge.

Obviously, there's a lot of overlap between QC and rules, since much of QC is making sure that new abilities are worded in such a way that they fit within the existing rules structure. Generally 2 or 3 people are on QC per set. QC is usually headed up by Dave (swinefeld), but he did take off a couple of sets. Others who have done QC include me, urbanshmi, MarkedMan247, and AndyHatton.

Quality Control team sounds cool, needed, like it really does take a specially skilled hand to do that.

But it still does not address the question of who watches the watchmen
Darth_Jim
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 7:50:29 AM

jen'ari wrote:
Darth_Jim wrote:
Jenari, while I am flattered and appreciate the confidence you have in me to monitor designers, I am not the man for that job.

I think the job is for people who can separate themselves from the game. I couldn't do it. The mere fact that you recognize it and are actively aware of your own bias makes me believe you would be a great representative.
Meaning it is for those that can sacrifice their desires for the good of others. No easy task.

Thank you, and I agree that to monitor designers you have to separate yourself from the game. While I feel I can do that, I also believe you should be able to be a designer yourself...something I feel I can't do.

One thing I think that Balance Committee can do is recommend balancing concepts and counters for designers to design, rather than just rely on errata, floor rule changes and such. Then it would be up to the designers to work counters into characters that make sense and can be tested by the playtesters. It would be a longer process but everyone would be involved, and no one group would hold too much power over another.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 7:52:57 AM

I think, most of the VSets do a fairly awesome job,
so, whatever process led to VSets 1 through 10, is probably the exegetical process to go with,
as that worked very well. BlooMilk

both in the vetting process for prototyping (the MCMC method used in testing)
and, the number of folks and correspondence between other designers.
that seemed to work as well as WotC official, or exceeded it in a few ways.

just look at the low rate of errata vs 'powercreep' etc,
as folks like TheHutts have reflected on in the past.
that is something fans and the VSet-ers should be proud of.

as to who watches the watch-people;
at this point, for an OOP boardgame, it is the players who do that.
they provide feedback and playtesting,
and eventually, errata is found.
if no-one plays any pieces from a VSet only a few months from release,
they soon get the hint.
if that keeps up, orders for printing of new sets don't come in,
and it grinds to a halt. while its a hobby,
I'm sure that'd annoy a lot of folks hehe.

Daala and Poggle were broken, but errata and good-sportspersonship (mostly)
solved the potential for meta-combo min-maxer abuse.

I think, as the number of pieces and meta approaches n^X! (ie, a problem of the vast hehe),
you almost need a gradstudent or AGIbot,
to check all the meta for each new piece...
I don't blame the VSet team who're on limited time etc,
to make the sets, to not exhaustively check all combos - that'd stifle creativity.

I think they're trying,
and it's a collaborative process,
and advocates of their pieces see it through.

Designers often then also make their own standalone customs too,
so, we can see pieces 'as they were originally intended' or
'ideas from the bench' as it were,
just like for Custom miniatures themselves.
so, I think it's fairly awesome mostly at the present.

that's my two dimes on this anyhow.
may bloomilk, and SWMinis, continue to flourish for long to come,
as this is a fun game any way you play it.
be that competitively, local league, casual play,
with VSets, noVSets, whatever. BigGrin
juice man
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 1:15:57 PM

jen'ari wrote:
juice man wrote:

This is always the fall back answer.

I have play tested before. This last whole year of my life it was literally impossible for me to do so. This year I am going to be a good play tester.

But make no mistake play testing is like being a campaign volunteer. Everyone always says play test you can help.

Than you are given 2 pieces to play test that everyone in the world knows do not really matter hahaha they are never going to be played or cared about.

You can't even play test the important stuff without having a name for yourself hahahaha

So the putrid answer of "you can play test" is kind of true, but also just a nice gift bag (that's empty).

Disclaimer: At least that is how it went a year ago. I do not know how thing are done these days but I doubt they are just opening up the whole design thread to all playtesters.

It's not the fall-back answer. It's the prime answer. Yes, life gets in the way, but when they beg for play-testers and people whine about how bad everything is and choose to not help ...
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 1:36:54 PM

juice man wrote:
It's not the fall-back answer. It's the prime answer. Yes, life gets in the way, but when they beg for play-testers and people whine about how bad everything is and choose to not help ...

i whine about what I feel is crappy design.
Baze Malbus and now Unkarr.

However, this does not fall on me for not play testing this set. This falls on those that let a piece destroy a play style.

I think we have heard more than a dozen times where designers do not listen to comments and go their own way regardless. Sure it has been helped but secret agendas get support and Bam it happens.
The problem, at its core, comes from the power of designers in general and a lack of top authority that grants direction over SWM as a whole.

We need a Master of the Order is what we need.

jak
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 5:39:32 AM

wish I had a opponent to play test withCrying
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 5:40:44 AM

jak wrote:

I can play tonight.
jak
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 12:21:58 PM

jen'ari wrote:
jak wrote:

I can play tonight.
what time can you come over?

mommy sez I not allowed on the internet with strangers.

also, never played on Vassel