RegisterDonateLogin

If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the web site that it's farthest from.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Control of the future of the game Options
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 2:59:45 PM
Groups: Member

If you could pick a committee to control the future of the game in all its facets who would you put on it and why.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 3:08:42 PM

I'll go first:

1. Deri--- I think he is perfect for this role. Great understanding of the game, active, basically everything we need in this role.

2. DarthJim--- another person perfect for this role. I think you are able to separate your personal desires and whats best for the game and that's a great fit for this type of thing.

3. The Hutts--- Always a great poster, great player, etc. great fit for this.

4. Atmsalad--- although it may appear like I have problems with ATM, I honestly think he would do whats best for the game if he were on this council.

5. tough one here..... Kezza? Tim B? ultrastar? i'll have to come back to this spot. lol
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 3:33:25 PM

I would like to preface this with:

I think this is a great idea and a very needed idea.

I have called them "shadow groups". They will have to work together instead of against each other. It is a great idea in general and something that I think we can all get behind.

my 5

1. Deri - knowledge, proven tract record

2. DarthJim - If he will do it.

3. Deaths_Bane - intelligence, knowledge of the game, very thorough and fair

4. ATM - yes atm, I know he fights for more than we know. He just will not be public about it. Maybe this will help him be public and receive the support he needs.

5. Kezza -
blemelisk
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:00:58 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
If you could pick a committee to control the future of the game in all its facets who would you put on it and why.

Define future of the game? (detailed)

I cant really point people out as i barely know them. I can list a few people that i know have always been very constructive with me and my customs etc.

I would LOVE to see conversions to Imperial Assault. And I enjoy seeing new characters (Ghost Crew, BT and 000) etc being made for this game. But the future of the game....design direction? Complete rework of the pieces and overhaul of rules?
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:50:47 PM

blemelisk wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:

Define future of the game? (detailed)

I cant really point people out as i barely know them. I can list a few people that i know have always been very constructive with me and my customs etc.

I would LOVE to see conversions to Imperial Assault. And I enjoy seeing new characters (Ghost Crew, BT and 000) etc being made for this game. But the future of the game....design direction? Complete rework of the pieces and overhaul of rules?

Why certainly:

I believe the game needs a community appointed committee that is in direct control of the future of the game meaning they appoint designers and playtest committee members as well as balance committee members. They can step in during design and overrule a proposed design if needed. They can demote designers that are being problematic during playtesting/design. They will help the balance committee address issues and concerns that have been brought up by the community. They will help work on the map list and floor rules. They can help find new ways to bring new players into the game by creating new playstyles or trying to set up tournaments etc.

I think this is necessary because with a clearly defined role and committee they can makes changes easier and control is centralized so that when an issue arises there is a clear way to handle it. It also gives the community a chance to have input on the future of the game by "electing" people they think will do the best job of continuing the game instead of... well....i'm not sure how it works now honestly lol. It also gives people a clear leadership team to reach out to with issues and thoughts on the state of the game.
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 6:43:48 PM

The idea of having one controlled leadership committee is amazing. I know I would feel a lot more trust to a committee that was picked by the community at large.

They will be in charge of checking and balancing each other so it fits perfectly. Than they can each kind of split up the work of heading over design and checking that committee, heading over balance and checking that committee, heading over pt and checking that committee.
But most importantly, the leadership committee decides who will be in charge of those committees and who will be designing and people have to listen to them without much whining.
It can stop the political slant we see and the behind the scenes that we (sort of) don't see.

In short, we need a high council.

jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 8:28:33 AM

Leadership is nothing to be afraid of. I want leadership even while knowing that I will not be a leader. I want to know who is in charge. I want to know that there is a capable group of people that check and balance each other and have the best intentions for the game going forward. I want to know that different play groups are being represented. I want to know who is choosing designers and how they are chosen. Who is defining what we want as a community and determining how to get there. The Committee's first agenda would be to explain how they feel SWM should go. I would start with a break down of the different factions.

I would say they are about 10 or so people that people would feel very confident in having on the committee. I know that 2 or 3 of them would have a like mind of what I want and others should feel confident in knowing that they have someone representing what they want.

It is a good thing. It is a needed thing. It is a welcomed thing. A High Council in the light instead of Sith Lords in the shadows. The reason why the balance committee has been so successful is because of this. They tell you what they are working on and than work on it and than come out with the answers. Since I know who is on the balance team and trust them, when they come out with their answers I have no reason to complain. Even when I do not agree with them, because of the people I trust on the committee.

Take that to a larger scale and you have the Leadership committee. If I did have a complaint, I can make it and know that the committee would take it seriously.

I would love to know others thoughts.
blemelisk
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 10:03:32 AM

This is something I could actually get behind. More involvement is always better, especially in the decision making positions. (without going so far as to make everything a community vote) WIth that said I can easily see those that represent the competitive aspect of the game. The Convention Tourneys etc. This person(s) would also likely have the role of also expanding the player base as the tourneys at cons are likely the most visible aspect of our game at this time. I dont care much for tourneys anymore but their representation is VERY important, especially when it comes to the balance of the game as they are very likely to have been impacted by something imbalanced the most. There are those of us like myself that play casually, either on maps or table terrain. They should be represented as well, I dont know how big of a part of the community we make, but you never know if one of us comes up with an idea that we see from the casual/table top terrain side of things that could have a really cool or interesting affect for competition. The Epic fans should be represented as well. Though my idea of an Epic game is having 1000+ points on a 4x6 table with 40k like terrain, and not having a Vader that costs over 125 points, there are those that enjoy this format and I respect that. Their play style SHOULDNT be forgotten either. I also think the way we price things should be gone over. Not just for say a casual custom creator like myself, but for the designers as well. For how we create a custom and cost it should affect all play styles exactly the same. A piece at 30 points should be worth 30 points to all play styles and not just to the Tourney scene, or the casual players, where it is worth more...or less to another play group.

I look forward to where this could go. Smile
jak
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 10:49:48 AM

I like this idea, however I see a problem.
The majority of active player in our shrinking game, our what have been labeled the ELITE.
they would be hesitant to give up there power
the ridiculous designer application is proof that they don't want any non-elites joining the club.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 2:39:38 PM

It will go nowhere apparently people don't fancy having a voice or say
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 3:02:19 PM

jak wrote:
I like this idea, however I see a problem.
The majority of active player in our shrinking game, our what have been labeled the ELITE.
they would be hesitant to give up there power
the ridiculous designer application is proof that they don't want any non-elites joining the club.

seems awfully familiar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuP2wvTAj0E

Which we know turns into

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIl7aKhz5vk
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 6:30:40 AM

made some good picks for the future of the game here based on their skill and knowledge of the game.

Lets go ATM continue your string of success... help us ATM you are our only hope...

Wait, there is another.... Deri!!!

come on form this committee and watch the results of how awesome it would be.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 8:45:55 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
made some good picks for the future of the game here based on their skill and knowledge of the game.

Lets go ATM continue your string of success... help us ATM you are our only hope...

Wait, there is another.... Deri!!!

come on form this committee and watch the results of how awesome it would be.

Ya you did. but right now I think we should discuss gencon and the all the other happenings that went down.
TBH I am so sad I missed it and the SWM community is doing nothing to help.
No write ups. hardly any squads posted, no one says what the other events were, heck I don't even know if a separatist squad entered at all.
tis sad.
We need this info. for our records.

and ATM's undefeated play! haha. and think you were this close to not running Daala
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 8:57:08 PM

Haha, so true, almost didn't run daala. :) Guys, im not going to do a write up until after the con. Im sorry, but im sure most would agree that we spend to much money to spend an hour or two doing a write up. I will try to post the squads or see if someone else would be willing. As for seps, I don't think anyone played a seperatist squad, and they were not missed. Lol
Caedus
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 8:59:27 PM

I actually had a Sep Squad, but it was utterly useless.(Actually, the player was useless as well) That is most assuredly why no one remembers it.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 9:02:06 PM

This is like colonial times waiting for a mail courier.
It's so hard to wait for information.
But if you see this enjoy your time. I wonder if I will write up stuff next year
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 11:06:46 PM

Caedus wrote:
I actually had a Sep Squad, but it was utterly useless.(Actually, the player was useless as well) That is most assuredly why no one remembers it.

How could I forget!! I love that squad!! When I think of seps I just normally think of strafe.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 5:52:31 PM

Leadership committee discussion.

This is what I propose. Or at least the first outline.

5 people. My personal choices would be:

Deri, atmsalad, Deaths_Baine, TheHutts, and DarthJim.

one person on leadership committee should be on the design team at all times and is able to take issues to the leadership council.

one member should be on the balance committee

One member on the PT committee.

One member should be head of a events coordination / public relations committee. i think Caedus and Timmerb would be great at this.
They do things that try and get the community involved. Ensures events are happening. Gets interest in events.
Things like squad building challenges and the old rolling mini of the day, CCC, bothan trasmission, etc. all those things that try to get community to have stuff to do.
They also get community input and figure out what kind of interest there is for events and prize support and things. and help find people to host events, especially online events. Would love to play the NZ guys again.
i would love things like Community designed piece every year. (I know it was a fiasco last time, but with a committee member at its head, that person can take ideas and form a design).

I do think that the SWM should come up with a budget. Do some kind of fundraising or something so we can budget prize support, maybe even pay someone to make new maps, advertising, etc.

The one guy left is left open and the committee rotate who is open so they do not get burned out. Maybe every year/2 sets

That member is there to lend support to others in their special operations and to help in all the discussions the leadership committee has and the hard decisions that have to be made.

Things I think the leadership committee as a whole should do:

Give designers a few pieces that need to be designed with a general blue print (Sith Vader, it needs to have throw 1 with twin or throw 2 and cost around high 30s to low 40s and needs to push it competitively in sith).

Give suggestions on what soft counters the game needs to be designed or what might help a faction be competitive.

Discuss and define design philosophy (research, ease of use, limit new abilities, keep faction uniqueness, accuracy/integrity of design, faction competitiveness, etc).

Help pt committee try to break designs.

Transparency in what they have been asked to do and the processes by which they are doing things (Balance committee already does this)

I think that the leadership committee should be in charge of who are designers. I think designers are already picked until a certain point (I don't know which set). Those picked should stay picked but at the end of the last set. The leadership committee decides who is picked. I think they should pick 5 designers that rotate 1 person per set so the same people are designing together for a while.
I think the overall goal should be to design 3 times and than possibly rotate out.
1, 2, 3 *all have a leadership committee member as well*
2, 3, 4
3, 4, 5,
4, 5, 1
5, 1, 2
1, 2, 3 (might be new people or keep the same)

I think that if there are going to be new designers they get plugged into sets as "apprentice designers" and have limited responsibilities. This gives the leadership committee time to process their ability and the designers time to see the system, etc.

Design is our most important job in this game. It needs to be kept safe and protected. 36 pieces per set. 4 members + possible apprentice. I think apprentice can get 4, Leadership committee member can get 4, and that leaves 7 per design team member. Maybe the design team gives each designer an "assignment piece" and that leaves 6 open slots per designer. That would be my personal break down.

Balance team should do their thing. PT Committee should do their thing. Design team other than above should do their thing. Public Relations Committee should do their thing.

This is how I see the future of SWM. Controlled, organized, thought out, involved, intentional, transparent, and unified.

Balance team has done amazing, PT committee has done amazing.

I think you use the people who have been doing this for a long time.

I think we all see the issues that arise without clear leadership. I think it is clear that the balance committee has been a resounding success. That is because they are transparent, easy to work with, and check and balance each other, and they have the respect of the community because of it. This can and will happen with the leadership committee as well.

I would love to hear people's thoughts and not just let it be ignored.