RegisterDonateLogin

Is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Fall Vassal Regional 2017 Sign Up Options
Naarkon
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:13:46 AM
Groups: Member

Sign up now for the first chance to use all those broken V-set 14 pieces in a real tournament

(joking, joking)

Starting Date: Monday, September 11th
Cost: FREE!

Map List: (this is the updated list)
cloud city
simulation deck
command deck
commanders office
outlaw city
rebel fortress
rhen var citadel
anchorhead

Legal Pieces: All WotC and V-Set pieces, up through and including V-Set 14 (including the BHC pieces). Please take note that you are welcome to use V-Set pieces, although you’ll need to use proxies for V-Set 11-14 since those pieces have not yet been added to the Vassal module.
Squad Format: 200pt Constructed. All SWMGPA Floor Rules will be in effect, including errata and decisions made by the SWM Balance Team.
Judge: Naarkon. I'd like to have another judge who can rule if a dispute arises in one of my games; please volunteer if interested.
Prizes: Bragging rights and a puppy.*
Format: Standard Regional format: Swiss rounds based on attendance, then cutting to a Top 4 for playoff rounds (1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd, then the winners play each other in the Finals).
Game Length: 70 min rounds, including setup time. Since we’ll all be using Skype, there is no reason why the game has to take longer than 60 minutes, but since the Vassal interface might not be completely familiar to some players, we’ll make it 70 just to be fair to everyone. Players need to keep track of their own time during their matches. Set a countdown timer.
System Requirements: You must have Skype, or at least some sort of live voice-chat capability such as FaceTime or a basic phone call, in order to play. Seriously, there are so many different avenues available to us now that there’s really no good reason not to have a way to speak with your opponent.
You must also have the newest versions of the Vassal mod (version 11) and the V-Set extensions (v 10.0) on your computer.
Player Requirements: You must make a faithful and reasonable effort to check your BMs at least once every 24 hours after the tournament has started. You are responsible for staying up-to-date on what is going on with the tournament, and for communicating with your opponent each round in order to schedule and play your game. I will send a BM to all players every time a new round of pairings are announced. BM permitting.

How to Register
1. Sign up in this thread
2. Before 8:00 pm EST on Sunday, September 10, send me a BM that includes ALL of the following information for yourself:
-Real name
-Screen name on Vassal
-Skype name
-Map choice
-A Bloomilk squad link for your squad. Make sure that your squad is set to Public rather than Private.
As with any Regional tournament, your squad and map choices will apply for the whole tournament. You may not change your squad or map after the tournament has begun.

How the Tournament Will Run
The tournament will be run over the course of several weeks so that everyone can fit their games into their own schedule.

Once pairings are announced, players will have 10 days in which to contact their opponent, schedule and play their game, and then report the results. When I announce the pairings I will also announce the deadline for completing those matches.

The winner of the game is responsible for reporting the game results. Please report your game results in THIS thread, and then send me a brief BM, stating that you’ve reported your results. Reports need to include the player names, the squads, the map that was used, and the score after 70 minutes of play. Match summaries of one sort or another are welcomed too, but not at all necessary.

In the case of any match not being completed by the deadline, both players will receive a double-loss unless one player can demonstrate that his/her opponent has been completely non-responsive to communications. But please don’t let it get that far; if your opponent is still non-responsive after 24 hours then contact me via BM immediately. In this case we’ll deal with situations as they come up. Unfortunately, this year, I will be issuing a hard deadline in order to be consistent and fair to all the other players. No exceptions to this rule. I am sorry.

Gaming disputes (ie, slow play, cheating, etc) that arise during the game should be directed to me via BM. I'll be checking my BMs regularly once the event begins. Rules questions can be sent directly to our expert SWM rules gurus (one of the benefits of a format like this). Be sure to take note of the time remaining in the match when you pause for a situation like this, so that you can continue with that same time after you’ve resolved the dispute.

We will be using a strict 3-2 scoring system. Since people will be playing at different times, there is no way to reliably contact someone to resolve a dispute, and so please just play fairly and at a good speed.

Most of the language here borrowed from Caedus's regional post. Direct any complaints to him ThumbsUp

*Puppy not included.

Full registrations: 18
pntkd2
thereisnotry
UrbanShmi
Darth_Frenchy
Caedus
spryguy1981
Naarkon
jen'ari
theultrastar
McNizzle
urbanjedi
FlyingArrow
Darth O
Darth_Jim
Deaths_Baine
TimmerB123
Shmi15
DarthRattlehead
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 7:09:17 AM

I will sign up for this tournament.
Naarkon
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:07:16 PM

bump

Also, does someone know a good software to use for pairings and such? I was just going to do it on paper as long as there aren't too many participants.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:15:10 PM

I will send bloomail tonight.

sorry, didnt send because I dont know my squad yet, but will send.
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:40:45 PM

Let's do this thing!! Bringing my A game :)
shmi15
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 8:21:24 AM

atmsalad wrote:

Daala is banned! And I'll have to check the new errata's but you may be banned also Flapper

Bumping so we can have a productive conversation here with new pieces
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 8:37:58 AM

shmi15 wrote:
atmsalad wrote:

Daala is banned! And I'll have to check the new errata's but you may be banned also Flapper

😂😂😂 Awesome, don't worry, I won't be playing daala, but I will be playing something I think is a tier 1 squad. Also, I have never played this squad before, just to keep you guessing ;)
shmi15
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 1:46:24 PM

atmsalad wrote:
shmi15 wrote:
atmsalad wrote:

😂😂😂 Awesome, don't worry, I won't be playing daala, but I will be playing something I think is a tier 1 squad. Also, I have never played this squad before, just to keep you guessing ;)

Good. T1 is needed. Lets get more invloved in this tournament. Come on Guys!
shmi15
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 3:13:36 PM

I will continue to bump this to the top until more people sign up!
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 5:54:09 AM

Definitely interested
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 6:26:47 AM

I would say something about the maps though. That list was pre-maplist change. IMO I would use as many of the current legal maps as I could, however it is your tournament.

Maps on Vassal (with Vassal Names) that are part of the updated list are:

Cloud City
Simulation Deck
Bothan Spynet
Command Deck
Commanders Office
Outlaw City
Rebel Fortress
spryguy1981
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 8:17:16 AM

I thought that we were going to be able to switch squads each round also? Are we locked into one squad now or was that a result of copy/paste?
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 8:19:41 AM

spryguy1981 wrote:
I thought that we were going to be able to switch squads each round also? Are we locked into one squad now or was that a result of copy/paste?

This I think is a seperate event. This is an actual "Tournament" like Regionals. I will post later on on a different thread, to do an Online Vassal League. Where you can change your squads as much as you like. But this is a separate event.

Still tho! Join up! Get more people into this, I just learned a whole lot last night playing Jenari, especially about Darth Baras squads. Things I didn't know that had been changed, had in fact been changed
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 8:26:44 AM

shmi15 wrote:
spryguy1981 wrote:

This I think is a seperate event. This is an actual "Tournament" like Regionals. I will post later on on a different thread, to do an Online Vassal League. Where you can change your squads as much as you like. But this is a separate event.

Still tho! Join up! Get more people into this, I just learned a whole lot last night playing Jenari, especially about Darth Baras squads. Things I didn't know that had been changed, had in fact been changed

ya, it was fun! learned a lot too. like I stink with Thon and Luke haha. but it is good to play.

I will definitely join up for this ^
spryguy1981
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 8:51:16 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the maps not listed on the restricted used myself. Take the 6 on Vassal used for GenCon and then add Peaceful City, Theed, Anchorhead, and Rhen Var.
Naarkon
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 9:06:42 AM

shmi15 wrote:
spryguy1981 wrote:

I think there are going to be several different events. I wanted people to get a chance to test out new pieces in a competitive-ish environment.
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 12:18:35 PM

Bumping for more interest!
pntkd2
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 8:35:11 AM

I'm in! I'll send you a message once i figure out asquad and map
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 12:07:00 PM

pntkd2 wrote:
I'm in! I'll send you a message once i figure out asquad and map

Awesome!

get to see you in action with all the new stuff! already killer with Talon. I could see you being really good with some of the NR stuff as well.
shmi15
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 12:43:21 PM

Can we get a running list of people who are in this on this page somewhere?