RegisterDonateLogin

If you've never had Bloo Milk before, you won't have never had it again.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Best Death Watch Build? Options
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 8:36:44 AM
Groups: Member

So, Death Watch seems like it's got a lot of good stuff; and they're at the point where they have enough solid Uniques to spearhead your squad that you can actually choose what you need, as opposed to back in the day when it was Pre Vizsla + however many Raiders and Saboteurs you can cram in there. Since Death Watch has gotten better, though, you now actually have to put a fair bit of effort into making your squad the best it can be.

So what do you think is the best way to go? I think you almost have 3-4 different directions you could go.

I always start with Darth Maul, Death Watch Overlord. Crazy good melee interference with a solid offensive boost for DW grunts.

This is oversimplified, but I feel like a good squad base would be Maul + Pre Vizsla + Death Watch Raiders. The raiders are pretty solid pieces, and Pre will let them reroll any 1s to avoid Internal Strife. You definitely want Pre if you go raiders. I'm thinking that might not be good enough to be a squad base, but could be interesting.

Death Watch also has enough Uniques at this point that you could throw all of them into a squad together, and fill it out with grunts. Tor Vizsla helps Maul and Pre Vizsla nicely; they're all solid close-range fighters if you play them well. Bo-Katan has lots of nice tricks, and Reinforcements to help tailor the squad... although the Reinforcements themselves are interesting. I feel like the best options would be a Mando Scout, or a Protector.

Thirdly, Death Watch has a nice selection of trooper types, but I feel like the subfaction kinda splinters at this point. The Saboteur is a good tech piece, but dangerous as a main attacker without Pre. The Mercs are good shooters, but I'm usually not a fan of Mercenary. The Berserker is just a little weird; it was made as a Mouse Droid swarm counter, but I guess with Maul it could be a nice swarm counter for DW as well. The Assassins are fantastic, but you definitely want Twin from the Captain, so that weakens Bo-Katan's Reinforcements ability.

There's the Death Watch Overlord as well, but I don't think he really compares with the beef the other Death Watch commanders can bring.

So what are your thoughts? I think my favorite would be going with the four Uniques (maybe drop Tor if you want more space) and filled out with Saboteurs, maybe an Assassin or two, and bring in a Mando Scout with Bo-Katan.
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 9:26:38 AM

I do think Maul is pretty essential, it's hard if you go up against Bastilla, but really most squads have that issue. So here are my two favourite builds, first one is super outside the Box and actually involves Nym:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/174992/blood-money

--Blood Money--
54 Jaster Mereel
48 Nym
45 Darth Maul, Death Watch Overlord
50 Death Watch Mercenary x10
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Jaster Mereel) 14 Mandalorian Sergeant
(Jaster Mereel) 11 Mandalorian Scientist

(200pts. 16 activations)

With Maul, Nym Scientist and the Sergeant you have double/twin attacking mercs at +13 and 20-30 damage a hit. Hard to set up but theoretically up to 1200 damage at a not bad attack, and Jaster let's them shoot back when they die. Nym's disruptive is also nice.

Another is:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/148415/deaths-watch
--Death's Watch--
57 Boba Fett, Mercenary Commander
44 Darth Maul, Death Watch Overlord
29 Pre Vizsla
60 Death Watch Berserker x5
10 Death Watch Saboteur

(200pts. 9 activations)

Add in two Ugis if rapport was working. Berserkers at +10/20 with accurate and furious for the swarm and Fett/Visla/Maul for the beatstick threats.
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 10:09:47 AM

If you want to do something with all of the uniques you could run

44 Maul
37 Tor
37 Bo-Katan
29 Pre
28 Kelborn
10 DW Sab
8 R7
5 DW Merc

Then customize based on what you bring in

Otherwise you could go
44 Maul
37 Bo-Katan/Tor you choose
29 Pre
28 Kelborn
18 DW Assassin
11 Mando Scientist
20 DW Sab x2
8 R7
5 DW Merc
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 10:40:03 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Not sure of the best way to go, but it certainly doesn't seem worthwhile to try to make a pure Death Watch build. Making Bo-Katan's reinforcement Death Watch would be nice, but not worth giving up Twin Attacks from the Scientist or Captain.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 11:18:30 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Here's what I got:

--Death Watch: DBT Assassins--
38 Bo-Katan Kryze, Death Watch Lieutenant
38 Tor Vizsla, Death Watch Founder
38 Death Watch Assassin x2
12 Death Watch Berserker
11 Death Watch Saboteur
11 Mandalorian Scientist
6 Mandalorian Demolitionist

(199pts. 9 activations)

Three Accurate 60dmg shooters with pseudo-mobile (assuming a 3rd Assassin from Bo-Katan). Maul with CQF and Merciless. Bo-Katan and Tor as decent shooters, too. A Berserker to clear out fodder. Saboteur's Traps to help attacks hit.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 11:41:48 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Not sure of the best way to go, but it certainly doesn't seem worthwhile to try to make a pure Death Watch build. Making Bo-Katan's reinforcement Death Watch would be nice, but not worth giving up Twin Attacks from the Scientist or Captain.

Agreed. It was added, knowing it wouldn't be worth it at all currently, but hoping to build up the subfaction to make it worth considering in the future.

That is a big reason why there is redundancy between Kelborn and Bo-Katan. Coordinated Command, Relay Orders, a movement breaker (and giving it out). All Death-watch clearly can't have Kelborn.

Perhaps someday all Death Watch will be considered. Right now Kelborn is a MUST in every competitive Mando squad, and as TJ said, extra attacks rule the day (twin from a CE/SA), and currently unrealistic in pure deathwatch.

Now if a deathwatch piece with blaster upgrade ever gets made . . . then we might have a shot
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 11:56:10 PM

Still think this is one of the best:

--Death Shwotch--
54 Jaster Mereel
28 Kelborn
23 Mandalorian Captain
44 Death Watch Saboteur x4
6 Death Watch Mercenary

Jaster doesn't let you bring in Death Watch with his reinforcements unfortunately, but it's not rival, so you can have asa many int he base as you want.

Twin death shots at 30 damage and high attack rule! Add in cloaked traps, and the customization of the last 30pts that Jaster brings is awesome. I frequently being in the gunsmith, often the Strike Force leader with him. But I've faced squads with tough non-melee defense (Vader of Lothal, etc) and I bring in the crusader blade master or the Mando Knight, and crush melee style. A couple Mando Crusaders help cut through any defense. Demolitionists to blow doors, Defensemen to counter strafe/gallop, there are many useful possibilities.

It's frequent that the Saboteurs do 180 + damage before they are removed from the board (that's just 2 twin attacks and a death shot, and the Mere frequently can do 120 damage (1 twin with deceptive and maul's bonus) and a death shot.

Versatility and pure power output of this squad are not to be overlooked.

Downside is that it is commander reliant (Maul, Captain and Master are all CRUTIAL CEs to keep going). You can hang with disruptive, but Bastila usually stomps it. I've beat Bastila once or twice with it by outplaying, but Bastila should beat it.
spryguy1981
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 4:24:22 AM

I'm going to play all the Death-Watch uniques sometime soon as I have amazing customs for them!