RegisterDonateLogin

I ain't seen one of these websites since I was prospecting on Subterrel.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

For Fun: SWM Dueling! Options
kezzamachineII
Posted: Sunday, September 3, 2017 1:16:58 AM
Groups: Member

I was mulling over roleplaying stuff the other day and thinking about how SWM fits in to it and, using SWM:CE (Campaign Edition) it works quite nicely... but its a little limited when you get to a one on one situation. Two minis lock horns, once they've based each other, they don't move unless they're happy to take an AOO, roll a few d20s and your epic confrontation is over...

That can't be it!LOL

Last year, me and the Opunake High School guys did an awesome tournament with putting minis together one-on-one and, while it was totally awesome, it was over pretty quick. 100pt Yoda won the final in a minute.

So, how can these short fights be extrapolated into epic battles? Using SWM:CE, they have a d10 damage system which can slow the battle down a bit, but they're still stuck in the same positions. What happens when we compare that to the awesome battles we see in the movies where characters move all over the show...?!

Any ideas how we can turn a short, static battle into an epic duel?!
chainparalysis
Posted: Sunday, September 3, 2017 3:34:52 AM

I used to play lord of the rings tabletop, and the duels managed to avoid feeling static because when a combat was fought, the winner of that round would push back to other character after striking, and they could advance or keep their distance. So something along the lines of "after hitting with and resolving a melee attack, the defending character is pushed back 1 square from the attacker. After this movement, the attacker may move 1 square (or more if that floats your boat) to be adjacent to the defender, and may continue to make additional attacks as though he had not moved, as long as they had not moved this turn. Alternatively, the character may choose not to move adjacent, in which case they carry out their turn further as normal, including being able to move adjacent to that, or another, character, assuming they have the mobile attack or greater mobile attack special abilities. A successful parry roll negates this forced movement."

Could keep things fresh and mobile, might want to make it so they can't be forced off ledges though, that could be not so good.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, September 3, 2017 4:26:22 AM

I would recommend giving Jedi acrobatic and force attuned.

This way they can attack than push them away. Or attack and move away. Or even attack push away than move.

This gives you more of the movement options seen in battles.
Gives pieces with gma, twin, Jedi reflexes, or assault a distant advantage though.
So it's a trade off
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, September 3, 2017 9:33:23 AM

Something like:
Stunning Blow: Adjacent living targets hit by an attack from this character cannot make attacks of opportunity this turn. Huge or larger characters ignore this effect.

Staggering Blow: Adjacent living targets hit by an attack from this character are immediately pushed back 2 squares.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, September 3, 2017 11:11:37 AM

That reminds me. In legends to make melee more interesting we made force powers from moves that certain lightsaber styles use.
Here are examples

DJEM SO
Falling Avalanche (Force 1, replaces attacks: Make an attack, if it hits, push target back 1 square if medium or smaller.)

VAAPAD
Tempered Aggression (Force 2: This character gains Extra Attack, Backlash, and +10 Damage until the end of the turn. At the end of the round make a save of 11. If the save fails, this character joins the opposing squad.)

Swift Flank (Force 2: Replaces turn, this character can move to any adjacent square that is adjacent to an adjacent enemy and make an attack at +4 attack and +20 damage. Character's cannot make saves against this attack. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity)

ATARU
Hawk Bat Swoop (Force 1, replaces attacks: This character can move up to 2 squares and make an attack at +10 damage. If the attack hits, this character can move 1 square without provoking an attack of opportunity from that character.)

JUYO
Assured Strike (Force 1: Usable only on this character's turn; this character's next attack is considered to be an automatic hit.)

NIMAN
Pushing Slash (Replaces attacks, make an attack, after the attack resolves target takes 10 damage and is pushed back 1 square.)
CorellianComedian
Posted: Sunday, September 3, 2017 5:49:47 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
Something like:
Stunning Blow: Adjacent living targets hit by an attack from this character cannot make attacks of opportunity this turn. Huge or larger characters ignore this effect.

Staggering Blow: Adjacent living targets hit by an attack from this character are immediately pushed back 2 squares.

I like Staggering Blow. I've tried for something like it about 200 times, and it always ends up way too wordy.

Maybe make it optional, though? Otherwise you can never hit an enemy more than once before you accidentally swat them away :P
kezzamachineII
Posted: Monday, September 4, 2017 12:22:49 AM

Ooo! This is just the thinking!