RegisterDonateLogin

A glass a day keeps Dr. Evazan away.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

A Frank Discussion About a Comeback Options
Jedicartographer
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 12:25:10 PM
Groups: Member

I often wonder if it is worth the trouble to try to release Map Pack 7.

PROS
I could use the money.
So much new ground to cover thanks to the new movies and TV shows.
The game ALWAYS needs new maps.
I'm halfway finished 4 new maps as it is.

CONS

Very time consuming.
Daunting task raising the funds.
Dealing with complaints and criticism. Not that I mind input, but there are always a handful of people that drive me crazy with certain things.

I get the notion to do another one about once a week. But honestly, I don't know how I could raise 4K or 5K to get it finished. And I don't know If I'd want to put the work into making new maps if it wasn't guaranteed to go into production. Additionally, I don't think I'd want to do a set of traditional SWM maps. I'd want them to be 24x36, with an emphasis on content, and casual play in mind. I doubt I'd want to stick to a traditional competitive play set of guidelines.

So I am kinda doubtful that goldilocks here would get his bowl of porridge just right. But I will continue to be hopeful once a week.

Here's what I do know Map Pack 7 would feature
- Rogue One and TFA locations
- Bigger Maps
- Wild Regions of space (Crashed Ship with a makeshift camp outside of it, Swamp Outpost, Another Jedi Outpost, are all ready under construction)
- New terrain features.

What do you all think? I doubt this thread would even elicit many responses these days.
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 12:32:33 PM

I am at a place where I can put in some money for funds. Especially if the maps than get used for vassal.
Could we do a pack with the 4? Or is it more money savvy with more?

I would love a mustafar, Vader's Chambers, and scariff worth the beach. Man ya. It's about time
Jedicartographer
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 12:38:07 PM

jen'ari wrote:
I am at a place where I can put in some money for funds. Especially if the maps than get used for vassal.

I would love a mustafar, Vader's Chambers, and scariff worth the beach. Man ya. It's about time

I could probably release 2 double sided maps. The Jedi Outpost is actually a 2 map thing. Kinda based on the Elf castle in Fellowship of the Rings.. Rivendale I think it's called?

I would love to do Vader's Castle, Starkiller Base, and Maz's Castle (before and after destruction)

shmi15
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 12:54:36 PM

Jedicartographer wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

I could probably release 2 double sided maps. The Jedi Outpost is actually a 2 map thing. Kinda based on the Elf castle in Fellowship of the Rings.. Rivendale I think it's called?

I would love to do Vader's Castle, Starkiller Base, and Maz's Castle (before and after destruction)

Those 3 maps are awesome ideas, and if Scariff were somehow thrown into... Watch out now!
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 1:49:35 PM

Well you know I'm always in for new maps brother, my only thing is I would of course prefer them to be standard legal-sized maps. But ones based off the new movies would be awesome! And honestly more maps for the game I love is always appreciated. So count me in!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 4:06:24 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

There may be a standard map size (22x34), but there's no rule that says maps have to be that size. If a map is 24x36 but it's a good map it could still find its way to the restricted list.
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 4:42:20 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
There may be a standard map size (22x34), but there's no rule that says maps have to be that size. If a map is 24x36 but it's a good map it could still find its way to the restricted list.

Do these maps he makes get to to Vassal also?
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 5:00:04 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:

Nevermind, what Flying said! Make 'me big!
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 7:17:24 PM

@jedicartographer
we'll find a way surely,
you're quite popular on Lead-Adventure.de, Coolminiornot, boardgamegeek and here at bloomilk hehe,
so, between those, there must surely be a way to see moar maps and all hehe.

if you were to ever release more tiles for tile-wars format,
that'd always be appreciated BigGrin
there's presently only the base tiles and map-packs from the league adventure and deagostini tiles hehe.
clear-print onto OHT like or clear-plastics for some tiles and effects,
also makes for great 'area templates' or blast markers... it's something I'm continually exploring,
after printing the internal 'gel' for the bork-cube, I've become more fascinated with translucent and transparent map elements for backlit boards.

tiles are easier to crank out, and lead to combinatorial nCr/nPr/n^X worth of awesome!
I imagine the modularity of the maps could also lend itself to "3D-terrain" in other games which also use an inch-grid style system...
so, my 3D bunker (flatpack lazer-etched MDF 3D bunker for stuff like space-hulk or necromunda, or FalloutRPG etc)
could have citadel/pantone-matched print-readied floor tile decals hehe.

I also have it on good authority, that a few folks have discovered your awesome maps,
and adapt them for other games such as D20 modern or IA/Legion too...
that is another potential subgroup, if SWMinis were ever to evaporate altogether.

Good luck cartographer, and hope to see what you've got in mind for SWMinis BigGrin
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 7:20:01 PM

kobayashimaru wrote:
if you were to ever release more tiles for tile-wars format,
that'd always be appreciated BigGrin
there's presently only the base tiles and map-packs from the league adventure and deagostini tiles hehe.

Not sure what the league adventure is, but Christopher West has made several tile packs, and many of those tiles were legal for Tile Wars at GenCon.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 7:22:00 PM

shmi15 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

They can. There are a number of maps that have been released that haven't been ported into Vassal yet. Just takes someone with the desire and the time to make it happen. "The time" may also require time learning about Vassal.
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 9:45:38 AM

Jedicartographer wrote:
What do you all think? I doubt this thread would even elicit many responses these days.

Seems to have elicited a fair amount of responses in one day, but I digress ....

Jedha, Scarif, the Resistance base on D'Qar, Starkiller base would all be welcome additions, also yu mentions of Maz's citidal. Have at it my good man.
swinefeld
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 4:55:49 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
shmi15 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

They can. There are a number of maps that have been released that haven't been ported into Vassal yet. Just takes someone with the desire and the time to make it happen. "The time" may also require time learning about Vassal.

Just need access to a high quality image file, first. I myself am not not sure how to handle non-"standard" sizes in Vassal, but I've provided TINT with other standard maps for Vassal in the past (when I was updating MapExplorer).
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 5:25:04 PM

swinefeld wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
shmi15 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

Just need access to a high quality image file, first. I myself am not not sure how to handle non-"standard" sizes in Vassal, but I've provided TINT with other standard maps for Vassal in the past (when I was updating MapExplorer).

Should be noted that Bryan(Darkdracul) and Bronson(theultrastar) have had the vassal mod mantel passed onto them. :)
DarthMaim
Posted: Friday, October 6, 2017 12:22:33 PM

Jedicartographer wrote:

I'll be your huckleberry. I'm always down for cool new maps!